PDA

View Full Version : Setting up the engine

delemorte
10-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Ok so i got my boats vales set and she turned over, however so breifly. I know where to hook up a water hose to get water thru the engine however it is not going thru the jet it self.
While i run this out of the water to get the timing and stuff set up. What if anyting do i need to do to make sure the jet does not get over worn?:confused:

Scapegoat1
10-21-2007, 10:34 AM
Disconnect the drive shaft is the best way but labor intense

H20MOFO
10-21-2007, 12:20 PM
Delemorte do you know how to run your boat with a garden hose? I'm not sure about your boat but mine is a motha to disconect the drive shaft. Im not sure how long is "too long" to be run dry but i do it long enougph to set timing. I think paul bassett recomends running injected headers when you pull your boat out for 45 sec.(could be 30 or 60 sec not positive).

delemorte
10-21-2007, 12:52 PM
Delemorte do you know how to run your boat with a garden hose? I'm not sure about your boat but mine is a motha to disconect the drive shaft. Im not sure how long is "too long" to be run dry but i do it long enougph to set timing. I think paul bassett recomends running injected headers when you pull your boat out for 45 sec.(could be 30 or 60 sec not positive).
She is set up to get a hose direct into the water system but thats just for the engine and i dont think goes into the pump. The headers are water injected but i dont think have anything to do with the pump...
How hard/long to remove the drive shaft?

H20MOFO
10-21-2007, 02:19 PM
Like I said I don't know the answer to the how long question,for that matter I don't know what parts it's hard on. I just doubt 30 sec or so would hurt, if you can eaisily disconnect your drive shaft do that. I've owned my boat for 2 years and never felt the need to hook up the hose yet,but thats just me. FYI were you aware if the hose is running and your boat isn't you could hyd. lock it? or even hose on below 2k

delemorte
10-21-2007, 03:22 PM
that did cross my mind on water getting into the cylinders if it was not running so i made sure the water was on minimal and only turned it on right before i cranked it up.
is there a better way? im down for some input....

camoman
10-21-2007, 03:57 PM
Ok so i got my boats vales set and she turned over, however so breifly. I know where to hook up a water hose to get water thru the engine however it is not going thru the jet it self.
While i run this out of the water to get the timing and stuff set up. What if anyting do i need to do to make sure the jet does not get over worn?:confused:Id say take out the driveline or go to a boatramp that is not busy back it in leave on trailer fire it up and take care of business;)

delemorte
10-21-2007, 04:06 PM
Id say take out the driveline or go to a boatramp that is not busy back it in leave on trailer fire it up and take care of business;)
Thats a idea....

Moneypitt
10-21-2007, 04:18 PM
Thats a idea....
Check your PMs...........

H20MOFO
10-22-2007, 06:24 PM
Hey delemorte did you get your timing set , just curious what total timing # worked best, and initiall ,ect. Did you use a dial back timing light, I heard on here you can't use those with a msd system.

delemorte
10-22-2007, 07:29 PM
Hey delemorte did you get your timing set , just curious what total timing # worked best, and initiall ,ect. Did you use a dial back timing light, I heard on here you can't use those with a msd system.
No i have not timed it yet. The oil pressure gauge did not seem repsonsive so i need to replace the guage before i even fire it up again. I know she has plenty of fresh oil but with out knowing there is good pressure i think it would be silly of me to try and run it.
I cant work on it during the week but maybe this weekend. However with fall coming up i got lots of honey do lists..... :mad: So my time with my new toy may be delayed another week... Damn that being married thing.... Does any one know any one willing to trade a barely used wife for a supercharger? JK.
Thats Ok though. I have promised my self i would get in at least one test run this fall so i know what needs to be done this winter for next spring. Hell, i did not even plan on having it until next spring any way so im actually ahead of the game...
When she is timed and pressure is good ill post a longer vid.