PDA

View Full Version : Engine blew up at speed...No whirlaway

WVspeedfreak
10-21-2007, 03:04 PM
My engine blew at approx 65 to 70 mph. I have no whirlaway. It didnt have any tendancy to throw me out, or flip, or anything other than it slowed verry quickly. I practiced for this scenario up to 90 mph by letting off the throttle pretty quickly. At what speed do you absolutely need a whirlaway? My new engine is going to be 540 CI and 10lbs. boost. Boat did 107 with 454 15lbs. boost. hopefully will see mid 120's.
By the way, enginge blew becauase a backfire blew out the gasket between manifold and blower. This caused a lean condition, so on and so forth......KAPOW

rrrr
10-21-2007, 03:33 PM
You need either a whirlaway or some Scarlata Watta Wings.....
http://www.superdairyboy.com/pictures/intex/pools/floaties_vests/starfish200.jpg
:idea: :D :D

dossangers
10-21-2007, 04:20 PM
Why take a chance!! You got lucky :eek: next time???????:jawdrop: :sqeyes:

Moneypitt
10-21-2007, 04:34 PM
Why take a chance!! You got lucky :eek: next time???????:jawdrop: :sqeyes:
IF the prop is vertical when it locks up you now have a second rudder....It may not throw you out if you hold on tight, but you could end up holding on under water when the boat rolls over......Maybe you should buy a lottery ticket, cause you're pretty lucky...................Safety in hind sight isn't nearly as good as before it's needed..............MP

Roaddogg 4040
10-21-2007, 05:58 PM
IF the prop is vertical when it locks up you now have a second rudder....It may not throw you out if you hold on tight, but you could end up holding on under water when the boat rolls over......Maybe you should buy a lottery ticket, cause you're pretty lucky...................Safety in hind sight isn't nearly as good as before it's needed..............MP
That there is good advice...
Steve

D Ginny
10-21-2007, 06:20 PM
When you bought that thing your pretty lucky. Safety should come before speed. Hopefully you dont just have ski jacket for a life vest.

QuickJet
10-21-2007, 06:23 PM
Out of the hundreds of people that have jumped from the Golden gate, 98% are killed on impact. 2% actually survive.
Thought I'd share some comparable stats.
My advice, don't jump off tall bridges and get a whirlaway.

palhal
10-21-2007, 06:28 PM
Had a flatbottom lockup at 85 MPH & it rolled over to the left upside down and the Hospital had to work on him for a while to get his puntured lung good again.
Had a Drag Hydro lockup at 165 MPH and it didn't do anything out of the normal on shut down.-------PALHAL

BIGCHRIS
10-21-2007, 06:31 PM
These things can kill you dude get a prop release and a good life jacket.I had 2 regular lifejackets in my boat when i wrecked didnt have them on (stupid on my part)they both ended up ripped and torn just from the water

RICHARD TILL
10-21-2007, 07:09 PM
you oughta take all that good advise being given. think about this; thats a good looking woman to possibly be left behind or go ahead and rename your boat "Crapshooter". i`ve got a friend laid up right now from a recent flatbottom wreck and the long term outlook might not be so good. kinda harsh but thats the facts.

Wildchild80
10-21-2007, 07:22 PM
The other thing you have to consider is that your engine did not "lock up" I will absolutly guarantee that if your boat is going 70 mph and your propelller sudennly stops rotating some very bad sh-t will happen.
A prop release is a good sound piece of saftey equipment chances are when your engine blows it won't lock up but why take the chance. You only can die once.

sawtooth
10-21-2007, 09:05 PM
I have a quick release on my flat but was wondering if I need one in the crusier I am building, it will have a TH400 trans in it w/o a converter. I would put one in your boat for sure I think there about $500.00 or so, if you live threw the next crash you hospital bills will make this a drop in the bucket.

CircleJerk
10-21-2007, 09:41 PM
dont you sound an awful liken those neighbor folks of yourins? West Viginahie folks?? Maybe oneah those folks Daddy sounded sompin like this: JUnioR, when we a gets home, reminds me to slap the crap outta your Momma, cause you just Cain't be from my LOiNs!
Your boat will handle $700 bucks better! Just cruising, racin, posin, or BUSTED. That will be a little bit more $s if you caint install da thing!
It's stupid to run without!

CircleJerk
10-21-2007, 09:42 PM
I have a quick release on my flat but was wondering if I need one in the crusier I am building, it will have a TH400 trans in it w/o a converter. I would put one in your boat for sure I think there about $500.00 or so, if you live threw the next crash you hospital bills will make this a drop in the bucket.
Dont need one with a trans!

bubbletop409
10-21-2007, 09:47 PM
I do not believe a whirlaway will be compatible with a T-400 if you are planning on using reverse. A whirlaway is basically a one-way ratchet, and will free wheel if you try to turn it in the opposite direction.

BA Kurtis
10-22-2007, 04:45 AM
Out of the hundreds of people that have jumped from the Golden gate, 98% are killed on impact. 2% actually survive.
Thought I'd share some comparable stats.
My advice, don't jump off tall bridges and get a whirlaway.
Well put Q jet

adjones419
10-22-2007, 04:56 AM
You only can die once.
That's the best advice I've heard in a long time. I wouldn't be caught dead in a flatbottom without a Whirlaway.

GofastRacer
10-22-2007, 08:01 AM
Dont need one with a trans!
Oh yes you do, there is a split second before the oil pressure goes away and releases, and that's all it takes to send you/passenger over the deck, I know been there done that!...:eek:

CircleJerk
10-22-2007, 08:46 AM
Oh yes you do, there is a split second before the oil pressure goes away and releases, and that's all it takes to send you/passenger over the deck, I know been there done that!...:eek:
Whatttttt? Like he said, plan on using reverse, or what about the sheer size of the craft mentioned? Golleee Art, how fast you going in that Karuzzerr? Does GN class require them now? I know they didnt usea them a few years ago.
Heck Art is beatin me up again,,,,,,,,here comes the kick punch! I'ma gonna tella your Momma!

Running_on_Empty
10-22-2007, 10:34 AM
are prop releases and whil a ways the same thing? Where is the most affordable place to buy one of these and what do they run? I was thinking about running without one, and now I am dead set of buying one since I'm new to this culture. I'm glad to hear you are ok......it is a good lesson to learn.I know I learned something from it.

fc-pilot
10-22-2007, 11:47 AM
Running On Empty, I just sent you a PM.
Paul

old flat
10-22-2007, 12:52 PM
Running On Empty, I just sent you a PM.
Paul
Paul: Ben (R.O.E.)is a good guy, he bought my 76 bubble deck, and he's doing a good job on getting it ready for the lake. He's looking for help since this is his first v-drive. He's in the right place to get good advice.
STEVE

fc-pilot
10-22-2007, 01:00 PM
Paul: Ben (R.O.E.)is a good guy, he bought my 76 bubble deck, and he's doing a good job on getting it ready for the lake. He's looking for help since this is his first v-drive. He's in the right place to get good advice.
STEVE
I like the fact that he (Ben) is not afraid to ask questions. Not only that, but when people give him good advice he listens. There is a lot to be said about that. (If only I was smart enough to do the same thing.:D )
Paul

adjones419
10-22-2007, 01:04 PM
[QUOTE=Running_on_Empty;2853431]are prop releases and whil a ways the same thing? Where is the most affordable place to buy one of these and what do they run?QUOTE]
If I'm not mistaken, "Whirlaway" is Casale's version of a prop release...sort of like a brand name. Try Dan Aaseth at Canyon Marine (661) 510-6362

Sanger Buzz
10-22-2007, 02:01 PM
This by far was the best thread Ihave read on hot boat for me so far thank to all for the advice . Glad the sanger flat my son just bought has one in it !

GofastRacer
10-22-2007, 06:19 PM
Whatttttt? Like he said, plan on using reverse, or what about the sheer size of the craft mentioned? Golleee Art, how fast you going in that Karuzzerr? Does GN class require them now? I know they didnt usea them a few years ago.
Heck Art is beatin me up again,,,,,,,,here comes the kick punch! I'ma gonna tella your Momma!
Not sure probably around 80, wasn't expecting it motor just shut off, went over the deck and slid to the nose, guess pressure released in time and saved me from going over the front and under the boat!... You can put a heavier spring in the whirlaway that will allow reverse at idle!... Of course GN's have whirlaways, or some other type release!..

sawtooth
10-22-2007, 07:40 PM
OK now I am really confused :confused: (more than normal). All the 21' ski race boats I have seen and have pictures of they don't have a whirl-a-way. is there somthing I am missing....... besides brain cells.

bubbletop409
10-23-2007, 07:25 PM
You can put a heavier spring in the whirlaway that will allow reverse at idle!... Of course GN's have whirlaways, or some other type release!..
I just finished putting my 10 degree split case with a whirlaway back together, and I see no way a heavier spring would allow it to function in the oposite direction. When you order a whirlaway, you are asked which direction you are turning the prop, that determines which way the dog clutches are cut, which in turn determines which way the unit will lock up, and which way it will free wheel.

GofastRacer
10-23-2007, 08:02 PM
I just finished putting my 10 degree split case with a whirlaway back together, and I see no way a heavier spring would allow it to function in the oposite direction. When you order a whirlaway, you are asked which direction you are turning the prop, that determines which way the dog clutches are cut, which in turn determines which way the unit will lock up, and which way it will free wheel.
Yes it does, a heavier spring will require more pressure to slide the dog back and will hold in reverse. As I said "idle" only, naturally if you accellarate it will overcome the spring and release!..

bubbletop409
10-24-2007, 07:57 AM
Yes it does, a heavier spring will require more pressure to slide the dog back and will hold in reverse. As I said "idle" only, naturally if you accellarate it will overcome the spring and release!..
Well if you say so, but it seems that a spring that strong would put excessive preload between the center and rear bearings in the whirlaway unit.

diamondracer
10-24-2007, 11:06 AM
You wouldn't have this problem with a 3 blade, so does that make 3 blades safer when no whirlaway is used ? Just curious...

River Rat 005
10-24-2007, 01:23 PM
With a 3 blade you could still have 1 blade vertical and still act as a rudder. As far as I can tell, all asscociations rule books "recommends" a prop shaft release for RR, SE and ME. I guess they feel it's safe to about 100 mph. TE it's required. For me I think 70+ should have one.

Sanger D
10-24-2007, 03:34 PM
not to mention,......wait until your foot slips off the peddle at 70 or 80+ mph and you stuff your passenger under the dash or put em up on the bow:jawdrop: your wife will never set foot back in that boat!!!

dmontzsta
10-24-2007, 04:41 PM
Contact JJ Beaver.
It is a very small price to pay, for piece of mind.:)

DansBlown73Nordic
10-25-2007, 01:42 AM
Now you guys got me thinking. I run a blown motor in my Nordic. It runs in the 80s. Anybody have a used one?????? How much trouble is it to install one?

beaverfab
10-26-2007, 05:24 AM
Dan No used but new. Let me know if I can help. There may be a used one around but you might check out my new ones be four you buy. Thanks j.j.

vdrivedenis
10-26-2007, 07:23 AM
My life jacket kill switch came out at 133 MPH at the drags last week-VERY glad to hear that whirl-a-way clicking away to a smooth deceleration and stop!! In 1985 I locked up my Hondo motor at 115 MPH +- with a TH400 in it. The nose of the boat almost went under-another inch. I put my head down on the steering wheel and closed my eyes, I thought I was going to endo the whole works!!
To the gentleman that posts "push the throttle down until you see God then lift" - Got to see God last week and almost lifted too late. Lift when you see Moses or Jesus instead. Had my butt understandably chewed for that mistake by the Staff. Next time it is that windy I will idle it through the course!!
034 Butterfly

HighVoltage 329
10-26-2007, 10:25 AM
OK now I am really confused :confused: (more than normal). All the 21' ski race boats I have seen and have pictures of they don't have a whirl-a-way. is there somthing I am missing....... besides brain cells.
most 21' ski race boats have trannys so u wouldnt need a whirlaway. I've never had a motor lock up at high speed to see if the trans releases.

VDRIVERACING
10-27-2007, 02:54 PM
I had a motor lock at 80 in a ski race with a velvet drive in a 21 cruiser and felt the bow steer hard for a split second and then coasted to a stop. A flattie might have had a shower.
Whirlaways are manadatory in GN, and for good reason. For a warp-factor boat like yours, seems like reverse is bling to me. A couple grand buys all the safety stuff out there. What are you spending on the new motor...