PDA

View Full Version : Pump Impeller problem

sangervdrive
10-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Hello all, Took the boat out for a couple passes this weekend then noticed it was getting hot. Once I got it home we pulled the cover off the water pump (neovayne) and the impeller was completely destroyed, in about 30 pieces. This impeller was brand new about two months ago and probably has less than 10 hours on it. I have only run the motor dry 2 or 3 times all of which being for less than 30 seconds like it says on the pump.
Anyone have any clue what caused this or how it happened? Is this common in a river boat? Thanks, Kevin

75 spectra V-drive
10-21-2007, 07:06 PM
I personally never run mine dry at all.Did you coat with WD40 when you installed?Make sure and find every piece that is missing could get caught in the water jackets and cause more problems.

BGMAN203
10-21-2007, 07:10 PM
Never run it dry, and keep a couple spares in your toolbox. You won't have to worry about it if you do that.

Racey
10-21-2007, 08:36 PM
Sounds like the thing has run dry, check your supply lines from your pickup to the waterpump and make sure it is free flowing and there is no debris (weeds etc) caught in the lines and fittings or 90's. Back flush the system with a garden hose from the next possible point where the rest of the impeller is caught up in, most likely your oil cooler, make sure you have 100% of that thing accounted for....
2 months and 10 hours is nothing, the thing shouldn't have failed unless it was running dry.
Never start your boat without water, not even for a second, those things need water to stay lubed....

IMPATIENT 1
10-21-2007, 08:41 PM
check your pump body for burrs or snags also. i know alot of guys who'll shoot it wd40 and run em on the trailer, run the same w/p impellor for yrs. just to change it after a certain time of use. also seen alot of them chew up a old piece of impellor that wasn't properly cleaned out.

amatosanger
10-22-2007, 08:20 AM
In my opinion there more trouble than there worth. We set up both the hydro and the flat without one, but instead used a larger water pickup tube and it's worked just fine running the water through under natural pressure. (This might not work for boats that have to pass thru long no wake zones.)