PDA

View Full Version : sand in the block

newbie Mike
09-16-2003, 08:19 PM
In my on going effort to understand jet boats, pumps, and engines. I helped a friend of mine pull his 454 chevy engine----he spun a main beaing. at any rate we pulled the engine and disassembled it down to the block. When we pulled out the freeze plugs, the block was just full of sand. I understand how sand can be picked up via the pump, but to stay in the block yikes not good. has anyone used a filter on the engine water in line or devised a good method of flushing out the engine periodically? :confused: :confused:

77charger
09-16-2003, 09:32 PM
for i/os the have a strainer that can filter out bigger debris it might be something to look into i am sure it can easily be adapted to jet boat use.

mud duck
09-17-2003, 10:02 AM
Yea, I always worry about that when I suck up a little sand in shallow water. Once I can no longer hear the sand in the pump, I feel I am safe. But worry what damage was done, I do. eek!

sleekster
09-17-2003, 10:36 AM
i run a sea strainer on my boat, it works great on sea weed/small pebbles that might lodge them selves in a water jacket. also i catch a fair amount of sand with it.