PDA

View Full Version : Volunteer Firefighter

HPBoats83
10-22-2007, 05:38 PM
Is anybody on here a volunteer firefighter? I am very curious / interested in becoming one and was curious as to what the duties are and include. For instance, would I be on the front line right now if I was a volunteer. The info on the different websites that dictate what the duties are, are a little vauge.
Thanks,
James

Troy McClure
10-22-2007, 06:20 PM
I'm guessing if there are any volunteers or regular firefighters on HB that they are pretty busy right now. Might want to try this thread in a week or two. Just a thought though...:eek: :eek: :D

clownpuncher
10-22-2007, 06:21 PM
As far as I know, the only FD in your area that uses volunteers would be CDF. I think they're now called Cal Fire.
Check to see if there are any Cal Fire Stations near your home. If there is one nearby just go in and ask the guys about becoming a volunteer.
The answer to your second question.......No, you will not just sign up and go straight to the fire line. Lots of training needs to be done before you actually fighth fire. Not sure how long it takes with Cal Fire, but, I'd assume it's at least a few weeks worth of training.
Good luck if you go for it

kingsransomracing
10-22-2007, 07:38 PM
My father-in-law is a volunteer firefighter in the mountains. Typically the volunteers will watch over the station while the "normal crew" is out fighting the fires. When things are needly locally, typically the volunteers will then be the ones to help out. Volunteers don't get paid until they exceed 40 hours in a week, and then at that point they get paid for the 40 hours and all the overtime. Same training is required typically standard CPR, engineering training, and everything else. Typically the volunteers will be the ones directing traffic, staying at the truck reading the crew for water, etc.
Again this is what his specific area does with volunteers, but it could be different in other areas I am guessing

squirt'nmyload
10-22-2007, 07:44 PM
My father-in-law is a volunteer firefighter in the mountains. Typically the volunteers will watch over the station while the "normal crew" is out fighting the fires. When things are needly locally, typically the volunteers will then be the ones to help out. Volunteers don't get paid until they exceed 40 hours in a week, and then at that point they get paid for the 40 hours and all the overtime. Same training is required typically standard CPR, engineering training, and everything else. Typically the volunteers will be the ones directing traffic, staying at the truck reading the crew for water, etc.
Again this is what his specific area does with volunteers, but it could be different in other areas I am guessing
i had some friends that were volunteer fire fighters and this is exactly what they did....oh, and they washed the trucks too :D

ahhell
10-22-2007, 09:00 PM
PM Gramps...he's king of the volunteers in fire fighting (and my father-in-law:( :D ) I believe he may know about Utah laws, maybe some LAFD stuff too