PDA

View Full Version : Buyer Beware: Savage Marine

455Rocket
10-23-2007, 04:18 PM
So when's the last time your impeller lasted 26 hours... :idea:
My pops had the bi-annual maintenance done a few months back at Savage and last weekend we found the impeller obliterated in the block...
Apparently $740 isn't enough motivation for em' to do what they say they're going to...
Check another one off the list guys. Too bad b/c the old owner Steve was a pretty good guy to deal with.
Originally Posted by 455Rocket
Ok Ok i knew I was going to start some shi* here because even I was the one who told my pops to go to Savage... They've put me back on the water many times and I've had no trouble...
BUT: here's what lead me to believe they didn't replace the impeller...
1) 29' Essex w/ a 502 Merc. only in the main parts of Havi and Mohave
2) the boat sat for YEARS before the maint was done... rubber get's a little brittle if ya' follow
3) Never started w/o water... come on now
4) It was done in rush in the Summer... how easy would it be to let it go
5) We're not talking a little damage... the thing discentgrated & rubber was brittle
6) 26 hours in 2 months... not 2 years
7) No parts returned
What would you guys think??

Kilrtoy
10-23-2007, 04:21 PM
Im sure savage did what they were required to do, SOMETIMES parts fail...
impellers always fail....

RiverDave
An impeller could last 30 seconds if you ran the boat out of the water? Of maybe 10 minutes if you get some of those under water sticker bush things in it (pretty common in parker) How do you know it was the installation?
RD

Havasu_Dreamin
I don't use Savage, but would have no problem if I had to use them in a pinch, but isn't it possible that the impeller was defective from the manufacturer? Or are you saying the impleller was supposed to be replaced and wasn't?

Moneypitt
10-23-2007, 04:22 PM
My pops had the bi-annual maintenance done a few months back at Savage and last weekend we found the impeller obliterated in the block...
Apparently $740 isn't enough motivation for em' to do what they say they're going to...
Check another one off the list guys. Too bad b/c the old owner Steve was a pretty good guy to deal with.
Be more specific. What impeller? Water pump impeller? Ever run it dry?........MP

JB in so cal
10-23-2007, 04:23 PM
You run a boat in anything but nice, clear water and you run the risk of it failing prematurely. 26 minutes - you'd have a beef. 26 hours - maybe not so much!

Havasu Hangin'
10-23-2007, 04:23 PM
The life on impellers depends a lot on the kind of water you run through it.
More sand means shorter life.

Havasu Hangin'
10-23-2007, 04:25 PM
And it's pretty damn hard to screw up an impeller install...lol.

RiverToysJas
10-23-2007, 04:31 PM
That's a whole season for some people, two seasons for others. :idea: :D
More info....like what motor? It's not a 496, because water impellers can't get into the block on those.....
RTJas :D

WishIknew
10-23-2007, 04:32 PM
What happened to Steve Savage??????

Kilrtoy
10-23-2007, 04:34 PM
ACTUALLY, This year! I had two last less than 26 hours

RiverToysJas
10-23-2007, 04:34 PM
And it's pretty damn hard to screw up an impeller install...lol.
Yeah no $hit, even I can do that one right! :rolleyes: :D

JB in so cal
10-23-2007, 04:35 PM
ACTUALLY, This year! I had two last less than 26 hours
reeds in your pump will do that:idea: :)
Savage has worked on my boat the last two times and no issues whatsoever.

ULTRA26 # 1
10-23-2007, 04:37 PM
Generally I do my own service but I know quite a few people who swear by Savage. Not doing something that they have been paid to do doesn't sound like their method of operation.

Havasu_Dreamin
10-23-2007, 04:37 PM
What happened to Steve Savage??????
Steve sold the business.....

Tom Brown
10-23-2007, 04:40 PM
An impeller could last 30 seconds if you ran the boat out of the water?
You have to love the guys who warm their engine up before getting to the ramp. They're usually the guys who don't replace the impeller until the engine over heats.
Enjoy your egg shaped cylinders... morons.

Jbb
10-23-2007, 04:41 PM
You have to love the guys who warm their engine up before getting to the ramp. They're usually the guys who don't replace the impeller until the engine over heats.
Tom, apologize to the membership for those harsh comments.....:mad:

Tom Brown
10-23-2007, 04:42 PM
Tom, apologize to the membership for those harsh comments.....:mad:
I'm trying to live up to my avatar.

Phat Matt
10-23-2007, 04:43 PM
They've replaced my impellers twice on each motor and they will do it again when I take it in.
I would recommend Savage Marine to anyone.
:D

Jbb
10-23-2007, 04:44 PM
I'm trying to live up to my avatar.
That avatar is pretty bad ass....:jawdrop:

BDMar
10-23-2007, 04:49 PM
I'll be the "expert witness" haha. As said by others in this thread, 26 hours is not unrealistic. One time starting it dry or one baggy over the pickup (yes it has happened to me and many others) will destroy the impeller. I doubt they didn't do their job.

No Name
10-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Funny….I just picked up my new boat today and it only has 25 hours on it.
The guy I bought it from just had SAVAGE replace the impeller because it took a shit at 24 hours.
Impellers can go at any time.

Dribble
10-23-2007, 04:54 PM
Soooo.. you know for a fact that it wasn't done ?
You already talked to them and they told you to pound sand ?
If that's the case then flame away.

TCHB
10-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Water pumps fail mode can be many reasons,
1. People starting the engine before the drive has a full prime.
2. People running the engine in shallow muddy sandy water.
3. Running the engine out of the water to sound cool.

shippingguy
10-23-2007, 04:56 PM
Come on man. Impellers are one of those things than can go early. Like others have stated. Steve was and is a great guy, but AJ is great to deal with. I highly doubt they took your money and did not do what they said they would. In 26 hours a lot could have happened to cause the impeller to go. Coming on here and trying to talk shiat on a company that is well respected by many is not going to help you or you dad out. I do not think that they would be an authorized Teague and Ilmor warranty center if they were shady like that:) Savage will always do my work.
Mike

Kilrtoy
10-23-2007, 04:57 PM
Looks like this thread did not turn out the way he thought

shippingguy
10-23-2007, 05:00 PM
I would have to agree with you on that one:D

BadKachina
10-23-2007, 05:02 PM
There's no rhyme or reason to it. I'll have customers with boats that say they've never changed their impeller and they've owned the boat for three or four seasons after buying it from someone else. I've also seen guys come in two or three times in one season to replace them. If it lasted 26 hours I would say it was good, if they had not done it correctly it would have over heated at the ramp the first time out or it would have been leaking water from the get go.
Get off your high horse and have it replaced again.......... :rolleyes:
You should be ashamed of yourself for calling them out.

MBlaster
10-23-2007, 05:21 PM
How do you know if one is going south other than high temps?
Do you check it before each launch?
Just seems funny that a impeller could last many seasons or a week of boating.

Nord
10-23-2007, 05:23 PM
My guess is the housing was damaged and needed to be replaced. If they just replaced the impeller and the housing (water pump) was older.......there you go.

RiverToysJas
10-23-2007, 05:27 PM
How do you know if one is going south other than high temps?
Do you check it before each launch?
Yeah, before each launch, but after I've backed halfway down the ramp, I remove my backseat, take off the belt, remove the fuel filter so I can get to the bolts that hold the water pump, then remove the water pump and take it apart......once satisfied all is well, I simply reinstall everything, and screw the backseat back in place, then continue with launching. People in the launch lines can be so rude when you're just trying to make sure the impeller is good. :rolleyes:
I guess I could just watch for high engine temps instead...... :idea:
RTJas :D <----smartass.......

Member: 7673
10-23-2007, 05:46 PM
Sorry to hear about your trouble. You are very lucky that it lasted 26 hours!
I don't think it had anything to with Savage.
just my 0.02cents

455Rocket
10-23-2007, 05:52 PM
Ok Ok i knew I was going to start some shi* here because even I was the one who told my pops to go to Savage... They've put me back on the water many times and I've had no trouble...
2) the boat sat for YEARS before the maint was done... rubber get's a little brittle if ya' follow
5) We're not talking a little damage... the thing discentgrated & rubber was brittle
7) No parts returned

Member: 7673
10-23-2007, 05:55 PM
7) No parts returned
Should of made this your first post.

455Rocket
10-23-2007, 05:57 PM
Just watchin out for ya' guys... that's it. Sorry to burst your bubble.

RiverToysJas
10-23-2007, 05:58 PM
7) No parts returned
Possible it was over-looked......mine have never been brittle after two years.
Always get yer old parts back! ;)
RTJas :D

MRS FLYIN VEE
10-23-2007, 05:58 PM
7) No parts returned
If this is the case. I think you need to take and get your money back. :)

455Rocket
10-23-2007, 06:00 PM
Should of made this your first post.
Agreed... done and done :D

Tom Brown
10-23-2007, 06:08 PM
That is the sign of overheating, not age or poor workmanship.
Tell pops to back off on the dry starts.

MBlaster
10-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Tell pops to back off on the dry starts.
I think 455 already said there wasn't any dry starts.

Old Man Havasu
10-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Several services. Always on time and no problems. And I don't even have a DCB or Skater! :smile: Not to mention the office help....:smile:

spectras only
10-23-2007, 07:20 PM
455 Rocket , like Bad Kachina said , if the impeller wasn't installed properly it would have disintegrated within a few minutes or even sooner.I have twin engines with same engine hours .The port side impeller disintegrated around a 120 hours . Mercruiser recommends to replace the impeller at 100 hrs . My starboard pump still has the original impeller and both engines have around 148 hrs now. I've noticed a slight difference in water pressure between the two pumps .The new impeller is pumping 2 lbs more . I have a new impeller ready to replace the starboard one shortly;) . Last time I went out , the starboard engine's serpentine sqealed on startup , so I immediately shut the engine and loosened the belt tensioner . When I grabbed the seawater pump pulley it was impossible to turn it right away , so started rocking it slightly back and forth . It seemed the impeller stuck to the housing during storage [ 6.2's have brass seawater pumps] .Same scenario what must have happened to the port side previously , except this time the impeller stayed intact . So I put another 5 hrs on the starboard engine without hiccup , but I'am sure the impeller lives on borrowed time :idea: . When I pulled the broken impeller pieces out of the port pump , there were no wear and tear marks on the blade's contact surfaces. This has happened right after launching the boat and the boat was tied up at least for 5 minutes before starting it up .Had the starboard engine started first no problem , so I thought chit happens , no boating for the day and pulled the boat out .

Magic34
10-23-2007, 07:25 PM
A few things as I see it.
First, 50 hours is the average amount of time for a season, so in terms of hours, your impeller made it through 1/2 season. Not bad, not great.
$700 for an impeller change is stupid high if that was the ONLY thing done. Should be more like $350 including new housing.

SummitKarl
10-23-2007, 07:30 PM
I'll be the "expert witness" haha. As said by others in this thread, 26 hours is not unrealistic. One time starting it dry or one baggy over the pickup (yes it has happened to me and many others) will destroy the impeller. I doubt they didn't do their job.
agreed..........
but one would suspect the sleeve is scratched and more than just the impeller is required for the short time period...unless the motor was run WOT for the whole 26hrs;)

455Rocket
10-23-2007, 07:33 PM
455 Rocket , like Bad Kachina said , if the impeller wasn't installed properly it would have disintegrated within a few minutes or even sooner.
that's makes another point... i don't think they replaced it BECAUSE it lasted a 26hours AND DIDN'T go right away.

Boatcop
10-23-2007, 07:43 PM
We have NEVER had an impeller go bad on our outboards, nor overheat the engines.
We used to replace the water pump assembly (never just change the impeller) annually, in the spring. We put an average of 450-500 (hard) hours a year on the engines. That was on the Merc 225 Offshores and Optimax.
With the 250 Verados though, we'll have them changed out at every 100 hour service. Just to be safe.
And although there have been thousands of Insurance claims for the "plastic bag over the intake" overheating problem, the NICB and Marine Investigators have never been able to duplicate this happening. Saturating a lake with sandwich bags, Ice bags, trash bags, barrel liners, and everything in between, then running through a variety of boats at varying speeds for hours on end, wasn't able to produce one instance of sealing off the water intake.
I'm not saying it CAN'T happen. But it has never happened in controlled tests.

mbrown2
10-23-2007, 07:54 PM
And although there have been thousands of Insurance claims for the "plastic bag over the intake" overheating problem, the NICB and Marine Investigators have never been able to duplicate this happening. Saturating a lake with sandwich bags, Ice bags, trash bags, barrel liners, and everything in between, then running through a variety of boats at varying speeds for hours on end, wasn't able to produce one instance of sealing off the water intake.
LMAO...
Maybe it is a faulty Impeller or maybe you have a clogged water pickup...I doubt AJ would screw you...the guy is a straight up guy that is all about keeping a customer; not just taking your money....now the old Savage guy was a turd...at least his personality was...

phebus
10-23-2007, 07:56 PM
Funny….I just picked up my new boat today and it only has 25 hours on it.
The guy I bought it from just had SAVAGE replace the impeller because it took a shit at 24 hours.
Impellers can go at any time.
Wait a minute, am I the only one that picked up on this? What did you get, and congratulations. :D

BadKachina
10-23-2007, 08:00 PM
Wait a minute, am I the only one that picked up on this? What did you get, and congratulations. :D
He bought a 42 Outerlimits...............
F-n baller I tell ya.:jawdrop: :)

Kilrtoy
10-23-2007, 11:20 PM
Just watchin out for ya' guys... that's it. Sorry to burst your bubble.
Burst my bubble! I dont think so.
But I will burst yours
$740 for an impeller change
BULLSHIT $$$$$$
maybe a annual service and a few minor other things in there for $740
I have been thru three impellers in less than 26 hours SHIT HAPPENS and yes it can be expensive and yes it sucks. I even watched them remove and replace with new set and wala, a few hours later TOAST...
Hell I have been thru threes drives in less than 1.5 hours on them, I never blamed the shop. everytime faulty parts....
If you like I can call any shop and get a impeller price for you and I am sure the most it will be is $300.

Kilrtoy
10-23-2007, 11:22 PM
that's makes another point... i don't think they replaced it BECAUSE it lasted a 26hours AND DIDN'T go right away.
I have seen people lose their impellers on brand new engines with less than one hour, What is your point now....
Mercury put used parts on a new motor

Mardonzi
10-24-2007, 12:48 AM
The consensus is that they take a shit.. some sooner than others. I agree with the hoard.
TnB had it right,, Sea Strainers will definately help out though. First the filtering capability, and second, when you do your start up at the ramp, it's really comforting to take a peek in and see water swirling around in them.

scarabrick2
10-24-2007, 04:48 AM
replace it with a BLUE run dry type.

purrfecttremor
10-24-2007, 05:23 AM
My impeller went out at 30 hours when the boat was new. I didnt understand it when it happened but now i realize running at havasu is a liability because oy the silt in the water no mater how carfull you are. Ive replaced it 3 times since as general maintenance. YES IT CAN GO OUT AT 26 HRS.

KLEPTOW
10-24-2007, 06:08 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again 400.00 bucks to change my oil NOT.
700.00 bucks to change my impeller NOT.
**** that I'm no baller and if I was they could not put enough sented oil on my ass to allow me to let someone **** me like that.
Oh some have said it's good practise to check the drive alignment during normal service B.S if mercury wanted your drive alignment check at 10hrs they would put it in the book as a maintenance item.
As for your impeller, if you take it off your self you possible find that all they did was change it out, but if they replaced the impeller and housing then NO it should not have failed at 26 hrs.

DCBDaytona
10-24-2007, 06:09 AM
Great argument guy....:)
I'm sure a simple call to Savage would have straightened things out, but you decided to spill your "guts" about a company on an online forum. Classy.

No Name
10-24-2007, 06:16 AM
Nothing gets by you Rick.:D :D After talking with Keith it was a done deal.
Thanks again for the info.
Mark.

Havasu Hangin'
10-24-2007, 06:33 AM
TnB had it right,, Sea Strainers will definately help out though. First the filtering capability, and second, when you do your start up at the ramp, it's really comforting to take a peek in and see water swirling around in them.
Strainers won't stop sand. Mine just stop bigger stuff.
Just to be clear, I wouldn't trust Savage to work on my lawnmower, but then again, my lawnmower doesn't need an impeller...lol.

Magic34
10-24-2007, 07:04 AM
I have been thru three impellers in less than 26 hours SHIT HAPPENS and yes it can be expensive and yes it sucks. I even watched them remove and replace with new set and wala, a few hours later TOAST...
Hell I have been thru threes drives in less than 1.5 hours on them, I never blamed the shop. everytime faulty parts....
If you like I can call any shop and get a impeller price for you and I am sure the most it will be is $300.
That is because you should have an airboat for as much time as you spend in the reeds. No impellers needed. :D

phebus
10-24-2007, 07:12 AM
Saying an impeller shouldn't need replacing at X hours, is like saying you shouldn't get a flat with new tires on your car. Too many variables in the mix.

ratso
10-24-2007, 07:13 AM
You wanna play you gotta pay...;)

phebus
10-24-2007, 07:15 AM
Mark.
Keith= straight shooter. :)

Magic34
10-24-2007, 07:21 AM
Mark.
You get a Magic?
Whatever you did, congrats. Enjoy seeing you at Pleasant.

DEMOMAN
10-24-2007, 07:35 AM
My impellar went out on 4th of July weekend with only 35 hours on the boat. Thankfully AJ and the Savage crew had my family back on the water in 2 hrs. :)

BDMar
10-24-2007, 07:48 AM
We have NEVER had an impeller go bad on our outboards, nor overheat the engines.
We used to replace the water pump assembly (never just change the impeller) annually, in the spring. We put an average of 450-500 (hard) hours a year on the engines. That was on the Merc 225 Offshores and Optimax.
With the 250 Verados though, we'll have them changed out at every 100 hour service. Just to be safe.
I don't know about controlled tests. What I do know is that we replace around 75 to 100 impellers each year and have seen everything immaginable stuck in the water system. As I said I have personally taken off a sandal and a plastic bag off the front of my drive. I have taken out pieces of plastic bags many times form the impeller housing. Having Imco lowers made it possible for the sandal to be stuck on like you were wearing it. I don't think the sandal would happen with a Merc lower.
Aside from this..... here is the bottom line. If the boat sat for years without running and Savage did not replace the impeller it would have failed when it was started the first time. Not 26 hour later. I can't tell you how many times a customer wanted a service and no impeller replaced. When we ask how long it has been and they say it was 2 years ago but they only ran it a few times, we tell them it is going to be more expensive to replace it when it fails, and it will fail, because we will also have to flush all the pieces out from the cooler and hoses. "No thanks, I'll take my chances". "Hello Mr. customer, we started the boat and the water pump is not pulling water, would you like us to replace the impeller"??....:)

boatnam2
10-24-2007, 08:43 AM
I know i had one go due to my dumb ass not backing the boat in far enough last year almost burnt up the motor.I get mine replaced every year ahve seen to many horror stories.

Havasu Hangin'
10-24-2007, 09:34 AM
Yeah,HH, but Savage prolly wouldn't trust you to drive their peddle boat either.lol:D
Rio
I wouldn't want to...
...it'll probably breakdown as soon as it hits the water, anyway...lol.

Keith E. Sayre
10-24-2007, 10:15 AM
I'm going to say that if AJ and the boys at Savage did make a mistake I truly believe that they'll handle it. I've known those guys forever and they have a great rep with the people that I know and from what I hear.
I hope that you get your deal resolved. But I'll also say this, if a boat sat for
a couple of years or even one year, then got used, I'd guess that
the impellar would last about 50 feet past the buoy line at Windsor--if that long. Never would it last 26 hours after sitting for any length of time.
Just my opinion. Like others, I could guess about what happened to it but that is all I'd be doing.
Keith Sayre

Goldfinger
10-24-2007, 10:19 AM
7) No parts returned
Bi-annual maintenance would be twice a year not every two years or more. What do you mean "we" found the impeller in the block? Did you take it apart? The only reason to be suspicious of Savage would be if you requested the parts and the would NOT give them to you. With the parts you could get some indication what happened. This would definitely be a situation where you would want to see them. I doubt you paid 740$ for an impeller replace alone. The price for this should average plus or minus $300 when you use the impeller kit with a new housing. To look at the old housing you likely would see normal/excessive wear or burnt rubber inside. If the impeller totally desintegrated and was brittle, it was very likely due to a lack of water situation (bag, sand, dry starting, etc.) TYPICALLY if the housing is normal, the impeller was faulty or old. There are too many variables to blame Savage like this. You didn't get any evidence and you most likely don't understand how easy it is to burn that rubber. If you told them it had been years since your last impeller, they would have surely meant to replace it. Places like Savage have been around along time, whoever owns it, and learn early not to take chances with faking repairs like this because the one time they did it bit them in the ass and they learned their lesson. They wouldn't last long with that practice on those boats that would cost them way more than some frowns from a forum. This thread interested me because I have worked on Merc, Volvo, OMC for last 17 years. All these posts are all telling the truth. These things simply happen on boats and no matter what you do, there is probability for the unexplained. If it happens again, you will need to dig deeper into your water system and make sure there is not something else causing a problem. Example: you could have a vacuum/air leak going to the pump allowing air to the pump and burn it prematurely but you may never show warm until it blows. Savage or anyone would not find that in normal servicing.
My advice
1. get a sea strainer.
2. worship your impeller every trip. it is the heart of your cooling system. carry a spare impeller and housing. tons of boaters do this. basic tools can replace it, somebody on the water will know how if you can't, can save your vacation.
3. get your servicing done in winter.
4. ask to see your parts. a good shop will explain to you how they work and break.
5. Store it dry! My personal rule #1. Water and moisture cause 75% of the repairs that I do. Your engine and bilge components are not very water resistant at all. Moist air will damage electrical components.
Good luck.

soupersonic
10-24-2007, 11:12 AM
I have seen people lose their impellers on brand new engines with less than one hour
I had the starboard engine rebuilt last fall and watched them put a new impeller and housing. They ran it in the shop, i watched it run and pump water.I took it to the lake for the first time and it shredded the impeller imediatly. This spring i had the port motor rebuilt and the exact same thing happened to that motor/impeller. Replaced it,flushed the cooler, retrieved all the pieces and havent had a problem since. I didnt even bitch about a brand new impeller and housing shredding the first time it was used at the lake. Silly me. :rolleyes: I guess i should publicly bash the shop that put in the new parts.

455Rocket
10-24-2007, 12:05 PM
Burst my bubble! I dont think so.
But I will burst yours
$740 for an impeller change
BULLSHIT $$$$$$
maybe a annual service and a few minor other things in there for $740
... look at my orginal post.

Magic34
10-24-2007, 12:18 PM
This shop didn't really screw you. To see what it is like to be screwed by a shop and read accurate accounts, seach Extreme Marine on this site. :devil:

Debbolas
10-24-2007, 12:21 PM
I had our impeller replaced this summer at Katherines Landing Marine. They did an excellent job. Scared the shit out of me when the impeller went:jawdrop: It's the first time we've replaced it since buying the boat in 2004:D

Havasu Hangin'
10-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Do you guys wanna know how to make your impeller last longer?
Buy a bigger boat. That way, you won't kick up sand backing your boat off the beach- the water is deeper 38' out...lol.
:idea:

INSman
10-24-2007, 12:42 PM
Do you guys wanna know how to make your impeller last longer?
Buy a bigger boat. That way, you want kick up sand backing your boat off the beach- the water is deeper 38' out...lol.
:idea:
That right there is GREAT advice !!!!! :)

Keith E. Sayre
10-24-2007, 12:47 PM
Havasu Hangin has it right!
BDMar: and with all due respect to Boatcop who spends more hours on the water than
anyone on this forum, I too have seen 2 or 3 bags a year pulled off or better stated
watched them float off the outdrive when we slowed down.
I actually cover that scenario in every new boat delivery that I make. I tell all my customers that if the buzzer sounds,check the temp gauge as you're reaching for the key and then hit the trim up all the way as you're stopping and look past the back of the boat for the bag.
It happened on Memorial Day Weekend this year with about a dozen of us on the 30 Deck.
Our driver hit the key immediately, we ran to the back and actually saw it coming off
the drive as he trimmed it up, we started it back up and off we went. Hitting the key
promptly saved the impellar.
Lots of good posts in this thread and maybe that's what keeps most of us
coming back to Hot Boat. Good helpful info, ok maybe a little bit of bashing
but mostly quality info from lots of good sources.
Keith Sayre

Havasu Hangin'
10-24-2007, 12:50 PM
That right there is GREAT advice !!!!! :)
I'm a dang "Public Service Announcer", too.
I'm here for you, Blaine, Blaine.*
*And I'll really be here for you when you buy that new 39' Top Gun...lol.

Screaming Pete
10-24-2007, 01:05 PM
7) No parts returned
this post distrubs me greatly, bashing AJ who is a very stand up guy, although i have not seen him personaly in a few years i think its Bull Sh$t to come on here and Bash his company without ever disucessing this with him. nor do i think that 26 hours in 2 months couldn't wear out an impeller. when i had an hp500 for a couple of years i think i went through 6-7 of them and about 4 housing too..........so thats what i think.........

pvhca
10-24-2007, 02:39 PM
From my experiences with Savage I find it hard to believe that they intentionally would screw anyone, all of us on the boards here can rant about getting screwed somewhere but each time you state that 10 people can fire off good stories about the shop, chalk it up to a faulty product or just worn out etc. I service my boat each year wether I go 20 or 50 hours I just feel better knowing that some problems will not occur or at least shouldn't with normal maintanence. OH YA SCREW ABSOLUTE SPEED AND MARINE!!

Lavey5150
10-24-2007, 02:57 PM
You really should learn how to install your own impeller, and carry a spare,housing, (use dishsoap/grease) in the event that you are actually out boating and not sitting in the channel.............:idea:

Magic34
10-24-2007, 03:06 PM
OH YA SCREW ABSOLUTE SPEED AND MARINE!!
Dont know about that. I had never done business with that guy and on a Sunday afternoon, I was broken down on the side of the road, wll more like blocking it and Aaron at Absolute was the ONLY person, boaters included to stop and help me.
Guess you cant win them all, but Absolute will get very little business from me as my boat does not require many of the services they offer and it is easier to have things done here in Phoenix. However, whenever I need anything in Havasu as little as it may be, I am trusting Absolute.

phebus
10-24-2007, 03:27 PM
Dont know about that. I had never done business with that guy and on a Sunday afternoon, I was broken down on the side of the road, wll more like blocking it and Aaron at Absolute was the ONLY person, boaters included to stop and help me.
Guess you cant win them all, but Absolute will get very little business from me as my boat does not require many of the services they offer and it is easier to have things done here in Phoenix. However, whenever I need anything in Havasu as little as it may be, I am trusting Absolute.
By the way, they put your axle on today.

Magic34
10-24-2007, 03:46 PM
By the way, they put your axle on today.
Thanks. Dennis called me this morning. I have to get the boat in the water next Friday morning and take the trailer back to them. It is too heavy for them to work on anymore then they have to.
I still need them to go through the entire trailer, meaning remainging hubs and bearings.

Charley
10-24-2007, 06:31 PM
I have had nothing but Good luck with Savage both before and after the sale by Steve to the new owners... AJ is a stand up dude and the rest of the crew there is too! An impeller can go bad in 2 minutes if you start the motor dry, and can easily wear out in 26 hrs under fairly normal but unfortunate circumstances such as sucking sand.

Instigators
10-24-2007, 07:01 PM
As others have already stated, you have to look at all the possibilities before making judgements. I once picked-up an ice bag at idle in the channel in Havasu and lost the impeller within a matter of minutes. Another friend of mine picked one up in the Sac. Delta and lost an impeller. After replacing two more impellers he finally pulled the drive and found most of an ice bag stuck in the elbow fitting at the transom adapter.:idea: :idea: :idea:

Boatcop
10-24-2007, 07:08 PM
Maybe the Quagga mussels ate your impeller. :idea:

3 daytona`s
10-24-2007, 07:10 PM
go drink another one mr.50 posts.savage dicked me and so i went to ABSOLUTE and they helped me.but now theirs a new onwer(savage) so i hope/hear hes trying to change things;)
please clear up the # of posts relating to "WHAT" thousands of posts makes you the WIZARD:D

phebus
10-24-2007, 07:24 PM
I just have one thing to say. What a stupid focking thread. :mad:

voodoomedman
10-24-2007, 07:26 PM
In one day on the lake I had crap get into the low water pickups that feed the speedometer and the only way to clear it and get my speedo back was to split the case open. I'm sure it could happen like that and fry an impeller. Absolute has been nothing but wonderful to me. If they weren't around I'd have no problem taking my boat to Savage.

pvhca
10-25-2007, 07:15 AM
I was wondering the same thing 3 Daytona's, Titties & Beer obviously has more time than ___, well we'll just see if he can fill in the blank. If you read my post all of us have felt screwed at one time or another, my experience with Absolute was horrible that doesn't mean I'm bashing those that have had good luck with Aaron and sleepwalker Brian. I'll feel so much more important and educated once I post as often as you!! And yes I will have another, are u buying Zen Master?

BDMar
10-25-2007, 07:21 AM
Maybe the Quagga mussels ate your impeller. :idea:
This made me laugh:D
This thread should be locked and and disappear into the night.

OGShocker
10-25-2007, 07:23 AM
Man, I am a whiny little girl...
No doubt!

Kilrtoy
10-25-2007, 06:55 PM
Why would the Mod lock this thread?
Man, I am a whiny little girl...
ROTFLMAO:rollside: :rollside: :rollside: :rollside: :rollside:

SnakeWrench
10-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Funny, so far this year I have had two brand new impellers on customers boats disinigrate for no reason. One had 12 hours on it, never started dry, didn't hear any buzzers, just stopped working. The second impeller had 31 hours on it and also blew to bits. So you know what I did, sent all the impellers I had back to merc and got a bunch from a new batch. Problem solved.
Sorry you think someone screwed you, but sounds to me like a simple part failure due to operator error. (sucking up sand)

Patyacht
10-25-2007, 08:11 PM
How about a techy describing the difference between the black impellar vs. the blue one. I heard the blue one's last longer but have yet to try one. http://www.kfgi.com/pages/products_impeller

ThongMagnet
10-25-2007, 09:19 PM
:D So when's the last time your impeller lasted 26 hours... :idea:
7) No parts returned
Welcome to the world of jetboating, 26 hours is not bad:D :D :D

INSman
10-25-2007, 09:27 PM
This thread has taught me that I better check my impellers more often :eek: :D

Patyacht
10-25-2007, 09:36 PM
I check water flow from the exhaust on every start.

Ultracrazy
10-25-2007, 11:25 PM
:idea: sound fimilar?

Magic34
10-25-2007, 11:30 PM
This thread has taught me that I better check my impellers more often :eek: :D
Fock, just your impellers? :D
Sorry brother, that door was wide open and I know I promised... Wont do it again! :)

ThatsBullShit
10-27-2007, 07:20 PM
How sad, people are saying terrible things about both Savage Marine and Absolute Speed and Marine. Both AJ and Aaron are extremely qualified with the work. If I can remember both worked for Steve. The boat manufactures had such respect for his know how and workmanship to handle all their customers. DCB, Hallett, Eliminator, Ultra and who ever hes saw. Steve would go out of his way to help anyone in need. He may not of been very personable at times, but he knew exactly what every manufacturer expected. To get their customer on the water !!!!!! We would always drive by and see Steve working, even on Sundays!!!!!! All the hard worked he did is because he enjoyed it !! He taught Aaron and AJ both a whole lot ! Remember who their teacher was and the respect they both show him now !! Health wise, I know they both talk to Steve and check on him I heard. They have complete respect!!! If everyone would just appreciate the hard work these guys do to keep you on the water, it sure would be appreciated by the hours they put in!!!!

Her454
10-27-2007, 07:25 PM
LOL, I didnt even read this whole thread but what about the guys who have to "blow out the pump" and fire it all the way up the ramp after drinking all day. ANNOYING STUPID FOCKS. :D

3 daytona`s
10-27-2007, 07:29 PM
LOL, I didnt even read this whole thread but what about the guys who have to "blow out the pump" and fire it all the way up the ramp after drinking all day. ANNOYING STUPID FOCKS. :D
Tell us your real feelings:idea: :rolleyes:
:)

HemiDude
10-27-2007, 08:36 PM
Hey Klrtoy! cant you make your fockin avatar just a bit larger?? I'm having a hard time seeing if thats a chick or a dude with something sticking out of their lower end...!!! Shiat, even with Brown's avatar you can see the coke spoon stick out....:( :( :sqeyes: :D Get with it dude!!:D :D

voodoomedman
10-27-2007, 10:04 PM
Hey Klrtoy! cant you make your fockin avatar just a bit larger?? I'm having a hard time seeing if thats a chick or a dude with something sticking out of their lower end...!!! Shiat, even with Brown's avatar you can see the coke spoon stick out....:( :( :sqeyes: :D Get with it dude!!:D :D
Dude that dumb. Say what you want about kilrtoy but that's his wife in his avatar and she is hot.

Hallett
10-27-2007, 10:17 PM
Good god run this thread into the ground:D :sleeping:

Her454
10-28-2007, 01:21 PM
Tell us your real feelings:idea: :rolleyes:
:)
You thought I wouldn't?:D :D