PDA

View Full Version : PGF in Phoenix

boat030
10-24-2007, 08:58 AM
Cole Thurston is trying very hard to put a class together for Phoenix he posted this on dragboatracing.com
"I was thinking today what it would take to get a PGF class together in Phoenix? A while back I heard that we would need 6 boats? We keep em under 7.70 so no one gets bent out of shape. We'll probably have to provide our own trophy and prize money. Hell just follow the UGF rules 565 limit and lets run. Put them all together CF, PGF, UGF whatever. Best part heads up normally asperaited flats running high 130's. Let me know what you guys think?"

Lookin for Liquid
10-24-2007, 09:03 AM
Pro Gas Flat was one of the more popular classes to watch when it was strong and the competition was phenominal along with good consistent heads up racing. Good Luck with the powers to be!

WILDERTHANU
10-24-2007, 10:01 AM
Awesome idea... I'm sure 565" would not be a problem. Better hurry up!! PM me if anyone needs pit support, be glad to help.

PGF500
10-24-2007, 03:44 PM
Still working on it. Mrs. Fegan is going to get back to me tomorrow after she talks to Charlie. It may just happen...

Jetboatguru
10-24-2007, 06:31 PM
Cole, the thing you have to stress to Fegan is this.
You will police your own class. You will strongly enforce the 7.70 rule. He does not want headaches as you know and the more you take issues out of his hands the better chance you have of making this happen. Good luck and I hope you can pull this deal off.
Tony

boat030
10-25-2007, 07:27 AM
I agree he needs to know that we understand and will abide by the 7.70 rule and also I think I would stress to him that you will be increasing the number of boats at the race not stealing most of them from other classes.

PGF500
10-25-2007, 11:30 AM
10-4 guys I have a game plan when I do speak to Charlie. I think the 7.70 rule will be the biggest issue but if we all abide to it we'll be fine. Which we will! I'll let you all know as soon as I hear something.
Also if we make this happen the PGF class is looking for sponsor for the purse. If anyone what to help out from the ***boat boards please let me know. Thanks.

PGF500
10-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Sorry guys, I just got off the phone with Charlie Fegan and he said it just wont work for the IHBA. He doesnt want to take boats from PCE to run in a PGF class. He also doesn't want to take the chance of people saying they'll show and no one does. I'm bummed but I guess that's racing. Thanks for the support but I guess it really wasn't ment to be.
Cole

stix818
10-25-2007, 01:01 PM
Man that's a bummer!!!! Sure was looking forward to it!!!

fc-pilot
10-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Is there a chance you could put it together for the opener next year?
Paul

Just-Jettin
10-25-2007, 07:30 PM
Man everyone is talking like they will have to hit the breaks to avoid going under 7.70, last time I checked running at Phoenix, it takes alot of GOFAST and getting alittle frisky with the setup to run under 7.70. Just keep it under 150 and 7.20's and everything should be just fine.

WILDERTHANU
10-25-2007, 07:37 PM
I know a few boats that would show for sure. None of which run current IHBA PCE. Its been beaten to death and I know 7.70 is going backwards per say. Honestly though.. how many carburated flats at the NJBA events these days run quicker or right there anyways. Bring 'em to Phoenix and run heads up!!
Flat on Flat racing...
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/WILDERTHANU/scan0018.jpg

Jetboatguru
10-25-2007, 07:38 PM
I agree Jeff it wont be as easy as people think. The last time we ran there we ran high .60s with Shawns Comp Motor and it was struggling. I think Miltons could hit south of the .70 number. But the idea is for Cole to Impress upon Charlie that the 7.70 rule is their main objective whether or not they can run under it.

Just-Jettin
10-25-2007, 08:04 PM
Tony, yeah I know the objective is to focus on getting Charlie to bite on the idea, and by addressing the 7.70 rule is the best way, I was only kidding around. Mitlons boat def. has the potential, its probably the burns headers (love the design) that will put him in the range.
This is why I like what we are working on 470, pinch head, n/a, single speed old school heads up class again. Cuts down on cost, safer, higher boat count and motors will struggle to make 1000 hp. Bad weather the boats really start to slow down and set-up and driver ability becomes very important. Miss this stuff real bad, left lane, boat # 146 thumbs up when you are ready, "WATCH THE LIGHTS" almost brings a tear to my eye.

Cs19
10-25-2007, 08:38 PM
left lane, boat # 146 thumbs up when you are ready, "WATCH THE LIGHTS" almost brings a tear to my eye.
:)

FLATS ONLY
10-25-2007, 08:53 PM
I know a few boats that would show for sure. None of which run current IHBA PCE. Its been beaten to death and I know 7.70 is going backwards per say. Honestly though.. how many carburated flats at the NJBA events these days run quicker or right there anyways. Bring 'em to Phoenix and run heads up!!
Flat on Flat racing...
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y292/WILDERTHANU/scan0018.jpg
Engines have come along ways but this would bring alot of people out of the wood work.Heads up racing is really needed in this sport.This pic was towards
the end of the high boat count and its never been the same.It might make sense to have a weight limit to keep things safe and honest. Engine claim would really make it interesting although I have never been a big fan of that.

PGF500
10-26-2007, 05:00 AM
Flats Only- that was 1988 world finals. Both my Dad (blue boat) and Uncle Shawn (Red and White boat) are in that picture. You know the 7.70 rule sucks but in 2001 Tony and Jeff had some good races even with the 7.70.

Lookin for Liquid
10-26-2007, 05:19 AM
WOW....that's all I can say! Comp Flats a plenty! That pic brings back some memories! Dude in the red open face helmet looks familiar with Mike Werner (Short Shot) on one side and Mike Cocelatto (Running Wild) on the other.

FLATS ONLY
10-26-2007, 05:33 AM
Flats Only- that was 1988 world finals. Both my Dad (blue boat) and Uncle Shawn (Red and White boat) are in that picture. You know the 7.70 rule sucks but in 2001 Tony and Jeff had some good races even with the 7.70.
This was our boat with my dad driving. Im the one who sent wilderthanu the pic. You are right 7.70 is better than nothing it would be nice to see heads up racing again.

jimsplace
10-26-2007, 08:54 AM
From a spectator viewpoint - I like the open flats better than any of the other categories. The PCE class and the 7.70 rule have ruined the enjoyment of watching it though.
I thought if there were 6 boats to make a class, there would be "a class". I assume I misunderstood?
I wish everyone the best in trying to get a separate class that works.

riverjunkie
11-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Looks like Bob Holt in Rick Jackson's Uptight in that picture right next to your dad. Those were the days!

PGF500
11-05-2007, 10:27 AM
Riverjunkie yeah thats Bob Holt, its funny 20 years later and I'm driving Lew Larsons boat while Bob is healing up from a back injury. Looks like were going to Phoenix reguardless of the out come of the PGF class. Should be fun either way.
Cole

riverjunkie
11-08-2007, 08:56 AM
Yeah Cole, you know it's me right?????

steve d
11-08-2007, 05:19 PM
Riverjunkie yeah thats Bob Holt, its funny 20 years later and I'm driving Lew Larsons boat while Bob is healing up from a back injury. Looks like were going to Phoenix reguardless of the out come of the PGF class. Should be fun either way.
Cole
Hey Cole, just left the shop.........pump mounted and plumbed. See you in Phoenix,,,,,,,,Good luck!!!!!!!!!
Hi Rene... will see you too Say hello to Mark.