PDA

View Full Version : Someone Is Tryin To Scam Me

H20MOFO
10-24-2007, 09:30 AM
I put a car up for sale on the internet to finance a new boat project. Anyway long story short this guy sends me a check for more than i asked for, for the car,and wants me to ship it. Looks like the fakeist check I've ever seen. should i call the police? Thanks Kreg

MRS FLYIN VEE
10-24-2007, 09:31 AM
I put a car up for sale on the internet to finance a new boat project. Anyway long story short this guy sends me a check for more than i asked for, for the car,and wants me to ship it. Looks like the fakeist check I've ever seen. should i call the police? Thanks Kreg
Yes..or someone higher up.

maxwedge
10-24-2007, 09:38 AM
It's a scam. Just send the extra funds back to him...along with a few fedral agents.

Jbb
10-24-2007, 09:38 AM
No ...go ahead and deposit it ....and ship the car.....be sure to get back to us on how it works out...:D

PaPaG
10-24-2007, 09:39 AM
I would also call the Postal Authorities, once these kind of criminals use the US mail they are in violation of mail fraud to. Postal guys don't mess around with this kind of postal crime and they aggressively go after the criminals....

H20MOFO
10-24-2007, 09:51 AM
I just spent 10 min on hold with the police dispatch jezus.
maybe I should take a drive up to the post office . I've printed out all the e-mails between us.

Cheap Thrills
10-24-2007, 09:53 AM
I would also call the Postal Authorities, ..
Let me tell you a story about the so called Postal Officials........... :rolleyes:
Long story short.. They're a focking JOKE
shall I go into the details?
T.

voodoomedman
10-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Let me tell you a story about the so called Postal Officials........... :rolleyes:
T.
Yes we love a good story.

ChumpChange
10-24-2007, 10:03 AM
maybe I should take a drive up to the post office . I've printed out all the e-mails between us.
They're really not going to do anything so you might as well pin the check on your wall as a reminder.
Where are you supposed to ship the funds to? Is it even in the U.S.?

ThongMagnet
10-24-2007, 10:10 AM
Hey, I thought we had a deal? :D :D :D

H20MOFO
10-24-2007, 10:12 AM
I'LL try to keep this short. I get an e-mail asking what the bottom $ i'll take for the car is. So he e-mails back that he is going to give me 7k even though i'm askin 4.5k along with shipping instructions. i e-mail back i'd gladly sell for 4.5k call me so we can discuss.(then like i dumb ass i give him my name address and ph#) I hear nothing for 2 weeks, then I get an e-mail yesterday asking if I had recieved the check yet. I respond by informing him the car is sold your too late , and i ask him where i should mail it back to. yada yada he keeps e-mailing me to hurray and deposit it, yeh right.

Cheap Thrills
10-24-2007, 10:27 AM
Yes we love a good story.
I mailed a Registered Letter to Canada on 10-10-07 containing some very important documents.
Here it is 14 days later and the mail has yet to be delivered. The red flags went up when I tried to track the letter. It has never shown leaving the drop off point.
I went to the post office where I originally mailed the documents and they were absolutely no goddamn help what so ever. They gave me a number to call and it was in Spanish, again absolutely no goddamn help whatsoever.
That day was shot and I have to wait till the next day to resume my search.
Day Two.
I went to the main county USPS office and they couldn't help either and gave me a number to regional office in Charlotte. After a couple hours on the phone with Charlotte it was apparent they couldn't help me either and they gave me yet another number to call to file a complaint with Consumer Affairs.
After about an hour on the phone with Ms. Mush Mouth flunky with an Attitude It was apparent she wasn't going to be any help either. She told me that since it is International mail it couldn't be tracked even though I paid a premium for Registered Mail Service! Of course I called BULLSHIT on that note.
That's when she advised me that she would call back after checking further into it.
AND That day is shot and I have to wait another day for her to call me back.
Day Three
Consumer affairs just called me and said the mail left the country on 10-16-07 and it is in Canada. Of course that could be another episode of the "Blame Game" since I have exhausted all attempts here to locate the paperwork.
So now they're basically saying it's Canada's fault.
Registered Mail is suppose to be scanned at each drop and kept track of. There are at least 5 scans on the way to Canada that I know of. Mt. Home the originating place of deposit. Hendersonville. County Main Office. Asheville NC, Charlotte NC. and New Jersey. None of which show on the tracking site when the numbers are submitted for tracking. Otherwise why pay a premium for Registered Mail.
I could have tied it to a carrier pigeons pecker and flown it up there and know just as much as I do now.
So if anybody thinks the US Postal Service is going to help them with any problem is smoking out of the wrong bag !
Sorry for the HiJack.
T.

Baja Big Dog
10-24-2007, 10:31 AM
The bank is more than likely out of Nigeria...a very old scam, they want you to send them a check for the overage, they might split the difference, if you want total frustration, and loose a lot of respect for our govt officials that prior to this you may have thought they are there for you best interest continue.
They will have no interest in this at ALL!!!
Hang the check on the wall, and be glad you didnt send them any money!! (Please tell us you didnt send them any money!!):eek:

welk2party
10-24-2007, 10:34 AM
I mailed a Registered Letter to Canada on 10-10-07 containing some very important documents.
Here it is 14 days later and the mail has yet to be delivered. The red flags went up when I tried to track the letter. It has never shown leaving the drop off point.
I went to the post office where I originally mailed the documents and they were absolutely no goddamn help what so ever. They gave me a number to call and it was in Spanish, again absolutely no goddamn help whatsoever.
That day was shot and I have to wait till the next day to resume my search.
Day Two.
I went to the main county USPS office and they couldn't help either and gave me a number to regional office in Charlotte. After a couple hours on the phone with Charlotte it was apparent they couldn't help me either and they gave me yet another number to call to file a complaint with Consumer Affairs.
After about an hour on the phone with Ms. Mush Mouth flunky with an Attitude It was apparent she wasn't going to be any help either. She told me that since it is International mail it couldn't be tracked even though I paid a premium for Registered Mail Service! Of course I called BULLSHIT on that note.
That's when she advised me that she would call back after checking further into it.
AND That day is shot and I have to wait another day for her to call me back.
Day Three
Consumer affairs just called me and said the mail left the country on 10-16-07 and it is in Canada. Of course that could be another episode of the "Blame Game" since I have exhausted all attempts here to locate the paperwork.
So now they're basically saying it's Canada's fault.
Registered Mail is suppose to be scanned at each drop and kept track of. There are at least 5 scans on the way to Canada that I know of. Mt. Home the originating place of deposit. Hendersonville. County Main Office. Asheville NC, Charlotte NC. and New Jersey. None of which show on the tracking site when the numbers are submitted for tracking. Otherwise why pay a premium for Registered Mail.
I could have tied it to a carrier pigeons pecker and flown it up there and know just as much as I do now.
So if anybody thinks the US Postal Service is going to help them with any problem is smoking out of the wrong bag !
Sorry for the HiJack.
T.
I have lost more documents and money sending express and priority with USPS this past year. Traking numbers and such are pretty much useless. I avoid the US mail if I can now. If I need it to get there, I use UPS or FedEx. The US Mail is a joke. The aforementioned companies would go broke if they handled packages and mail the same way as the USPS.

thatguy
10-24-2007, 10:37 AM
T.
They shut down my chain letter, I mean my "investment opportunity" notice in pretty short order. I knew I bought the wrong mailing list.
Tommy

H20MOFO
10-24-2007, 10:37 AM
GET this the package came from new jersey and the check is from arizona. If it is legit(which I doubt) and I don't cash it he could get his money back from the bank right?

Cheap Thrills
10-24-2007, 10:41 AM
GET this the package came from new jersey and the check is from arizona. If it is legit(which I doubt) and I don't cash it he could get his money back from the bank right?
If it is from a personal account, the money wont leave the account until the check is cashed. So it's still there if it was there to begin with.
On the other hand if it is a bank draft Official Check he had to pay for it when it was cut. he should be able to reclaim the money with the receipt they gave him after a period of time. I think 60 days. (don't quote me on that)
T.

snake321
10-24-2007, 10:45 AM
About 8 years ago some bonehead gave me a certified bank check, face to face, with my name printed on it for $900. The check was from a local bank so I deposited it. A week later my bank called me screaming for me to come right down to cover the balance of the counterfeit check. Cash is king.

QuickJet
10-24-2007, 11:03 AM
Go to the bank it's drawn on and cash the check.

uvindex
10-24-2007, 11:04 AM
GET this the package came from new jersey and the check is from arizona. If it is legit(which I doubt) and I don't cash it he could get his money back from the bank right?Don't even give a second thought to the possibility of it being legit -- can you think of ANY reason where you'd ever buy something from a stranger and give that stranger thousands of EXTRA dollars? :) I didn't think so.
Go to www.419eater.com and learn some ways to yank the scammer's chain and cost HIM money, trouble, and time. :)

voodoomedman
10-24-2007, 11:54 AM
I have lost more documents and money sending express and priority with USPS this past year. Traking numbers and such are pretty much useless. I avoid the US mail if I can now. If I need it to get there, I use UPS or FedEx. The US Mail is a joke. The aforementioned companies would go broke if they handled packages and mail the same way as the USPS.
Don't send much mail to Canada do you? 10-14 days is standard and often takes longer. If you send it registered it just puts a red flag on it and more often than not it will take 3 weeks.
Both winning statements.

PaPaG
10-24-2007, 12:25 PM
I have included the postal inspectors fake check link. If your check is over this departments fraud limit they have another division to help you..Either way this is a big scam...Won't hurt you to file against them.
http://www.fakechecks.org/

H20MOFO
10-24-2007, 12:32 PM
Thanks all. I'll try that link also. Someone on here pm'd me and specializes in internet fraud. He will let me know if it came from within the U.S.

Cheap Thrills
10-24-2007, 02:31 PM
Don't send much mail to Canada do you? 10-14 days is standard and often takes longer. If you send it registered it just puts a red flag on it and more often than not it will take 3 weeks.
The amount of time it has taken is irrelevant to the point I was trying to make.
And that point was, and still is, if you're looking for the postal service to be of any help with a problem you might as well go piss up a rope.
The USPS registered mail is a focking joke and so are the tracking numbers, and so is their ability to help in a fůcked up situation that they were clearly responsible for. And for anyone to expect help for a problem that is not a direct result of their incompetence to properly handle a simple job is asinine. That Was The Point !
And to answer your question Yes I have corresponded with Canada Via . USPS on several occasions. Not on a regular basis but often enough to know how much time it takes for mail to be delivered. but that was and still is beside the point.
T.

hoolign
10-24-2007, 03:03 PM
The amount of time it has taken is irrelevant to the point I was trying to make.
And that point was, and still is, if you're looking for the postal service to be of any help with a problem you might as well go piss up a rope.
The USPS registered mail is a focking joke and so are the tracking numbers, and so is their ability to help in a fůcked up situation that they were clearly responsible for. And for anyone to expect help for a problem that is not a direct result of their incompetence to properly handle a simple job is asinine. That Was The Point !
And to answer your question Yes I have corresponded with Canada Via . USPS on several occasions. Not on a regular basis but often enough to know how much time it takes for mail to be delivered. but that was and still is beside the point.
T.
:(

YeLLowBoaT
10-24-2007, 03:07 PM
what bank is the check drawn from? it has to have a contact number on it by federal law... give them a call.
BTW its has to be a scam, but you might just beable to have some fun with them...
I always love messing with them. Had one say they were working for exxon a oil rig in the gulf...same messages you got, I strung him along for a few days... it was great. I told them great I work in HR for exxon, "whats your employee number I will have it take out of your check"

H20MOFO
10-24-2007, 03:15 PM
I left it at work my neice works at a credit union she called the branch in arizona(no bank I've ever heard of around me) and asked to confirm funds and they replied they couldn't. Lets put it this way they want the check to train there people what a bogus check looks like. It's not a personal check and it doesnt say cashiers check either.

ChumpChange
10-24-2007, 03:22 PM
One of the problems that banks have when it comes to these checks is the lack of training on their front line. A lot of times, a teller will call the issuing bank of the check but they are lazy and just use the bank's number which is of course on the check. The scammers are good. The number they print on the check goes to one of their people who tell the bank teller it's good. The teller then takes the deposit and the scam is complete.

Cas
10-24-2007, 07:52 PM
Thanks all. I'll try that link also. Someone on here pm'd me and specializes in internet fraud. He will let me know if it came from within the U.S.
here, read this stuff on Craigslist-
http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams.html
the scam you're referring to is on it.

Redneck
10-24-2007, 07:55 PM
I got the same thing from the UK for my quad. Havent got a check yet but wants to do the same thing. Turned it over to Havasu PD today they want to check it out.

HemiDude
10-24-2007, 08:01 PM
Dear MOFO,
I have good land in sity called florida. It on beach (land is wet and soggy), I have picked you because Alla said so. She said virgins will await you and not sure if 2 or 72 but u have good time. send payment to me now or virgins leave to find some else. :rolleyes:

INSman
10-24-2007, 08:09 PM
Go to the bank it's drawn on and cash the check.
Exactly ........;)

Baja Big Dog
10-24-2007, 08:32 PM
I got the same thing from the UK for my quad. Havent got a check yet but wants to do the same thing. Turned it over to Havasu PD today they want to check it out.
Yea, they will get n this right after they look for your shit that was taken from your home robbery!!!:eek:

Redneck
10-24-2007, 08:50 PM
Yea, they will get n this right after they look for your shit that was taken from your home robbery!!!:eek:
we will see

H20MOFO
10-25-2007, 06:15 AM
Thanks Mouzer ,Cas, and all.From what I've gathered if the ip address of the computer is in the U.S. it is probably worth pursuing if not it's a waste of time. Someone else on this thread already said that but I'm hearing that from several peeps. I guess what i e-mailed the the person yesterday to track the ip address wasn't what he neededd so I'll try again today.

shueman
10-25-2007, 06:33 AM
Lots of TV ads for www.fakechecks.org

hkunz
10-25-2007, 07:28 AM
I had a similar issue with an ebay purchase a few years back. Called the sherrif, they said call the FBI. FBI took care of it, and I;) wasn't out anything except the taxes to pay thier salaries.

Caribbean Jet
10-25-2007, 07:41 AM
I had a guy trying to buy my truck this way offering more money than I had listed it for and claimed that it was for shipping. I told him the only way this will fly is if we use an Ecrow holder so that the funds can clear and that he can see that the truck is what I say it is. He never wrote back.
I called Trader pub and they said 90% of the time somebody wants to buy a car sight unseen its a scam.