PDA

View Full Version : What style tunnel hull is better?

pokerboat
10-24-2007, 07:33 PM
Is there a difference between a pickle fork (Eliminator Daytona) or a standard hull (Sleek Craft). What is the difference?

McIntyrelocal
10-24-2007, 07:40 PM
i think the pickeforks trap air easier and quicker but ounce the boat is out of the water i dont know what the difference would be might depend on the tunnel size.dont quote me though.:)

Xerophobic
10-25-2007, 06:17 AM
Oh this is gonna be easy!...
Nahhhhh, too easy.....
:D :D

VAMI
10-25-2007, 06:59 AM
xero where you gonna say EAGLE?

H20MOFO
10-25-2007, 07:22 AM
Poker a couple of months ago I asked pretty much the same question. The general consensus was that the modified would beat the pickle out of the hole, but would get run down on the top end. I think/hope the pickle will ride a little better/stable. I'm sure others will have more to add.:D

Xerophobic
10-25-2007, 09:19 AM
xero where you gonna say EAGLE?
Who me!? :D
I wont go there, you already know ;)
Cheers

sstjet
10-25-2007, 01:17 PM
I like the picklefork better, I own a cheyenne. Before the cheyenne I had a Sleekcraft SST. Cheyenne rides a lot nicer in chop.

pokerboat
10-26-2007, 02:32 PM
sstjet; what was the difference between your sst and your Cheyenne just the ride in chop I herd the sst was also good in chop.

sstjet
10-26-2007, 04:26 PM
The sst crashed through waves, the cheyenne carries over them (more air):220v:

Outlaw
10-26-2007, 06:38 PM
I know those tin can boats are nice for the river running.
but how do they handle the chop ,wake board boats and
larger boats not found on the river?
I'm guessing like a tin can........

Xerophobic
10-27-2007, 11:31 AM
I know those tin can boats are nice for the river running.
but how do they handle the chop ,wake board boats and
larger boats not found on the river?
I'm guessing like a tin can........
What do you mean by "handle" the chop? Do you mean can you ignore it and hold your foot to the floor and not expect to get thrown around? Of course not but I guarantee you they will take way way WAY more of a beating than any fibreglass tunnel would. Remember the rivers we run in are not dead flat water, the rivers flow, have rollers, rapids etc etc You dont need to watch too many race video's to get a good idea of how they can take irregular water.
Have a look at this vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqqdZd4fAXY
How much of that video would you even attempt in a glass boat?
Would your glass tunnel survive 0:49?
How about 1:11? (thats me on a lake that had chopped up so bad our entire fast boat club, which consisted of OB's, were all on the trailer already)
1:56 Gordie and I doing probably about 105 w/750 hp (note one hand!)
How many glass boats would live through 2:20 and be fine the next day?
I simply cannot stress how large the waves 2:48 are. They are HUGE
(Another angle at 3:02)
3:06, ever hit logs with your glass boat?
I dont mean this to come across as sarcastic or arrogant but there is just simply NO comparison between the 2 types of boats in terms of durability. Sure you can crack a weld here and there and the lighter built boats will dent and bows will get punched in but you need to do something very extreme to not make it home in an aluminum hull, period. Most of the stuff we do daily would send most glass boats not only to the bottom of the river but also to the scrap heap.
Now of course all that would be totally meaningless if it were not for the fact they are also bloody fast!
0:31 not sped up
1:16 not sped up
2:53 not sped up
Orange tunnel does about 105 w ~750 Hp
Black tunnel 120 w ~850 hp
Red Race tunnel 81 w ~355 HP
Cheers

sstjet
10-27-2007, 01:39 PM
I think the style of tunnel was in question not the material used to build it.

Outlaw
10-27-2007, 04:38 PM
Oh this is gonna be easy!...
Nahhhhh, too easy.....
:D :D
I"m just pulling your chain Phobic......for the above post.
I would like a ride in one of those Aluminum boats.
but I'm afraid I might get hooked

pokerboat
10-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Xerophobic I already know the difference between aluminum and fiber glass if you have a point about the difference between the two style tunnel hulls I would like to here.

Xerophobic
10-28-2007, 01:41 PM
I"m just pulling your chain Phobic......for the above post.
I would like a ride in one of those Aluminum boats.
but I'm afraid I might get hooked
As you should be! :D

Xerophobic
10-28-2007, 01:42 PM
Xerophobic I already know the difference between aluminum and fiber glass if you have a point about the difference between the two style tunnel hulls I would like to here.
I was just answering Outlaws q, sorry for the breif hijack.
But while we're on the topic why wouldn't you entertain an alloy hull you're not even that far out of the scene?
Cheers

H20MOFO
10-28-2007, 02:15 PM
XERO has a daytona style alloy boat ever been atempted. How cool would that be. Or is there a reason not to? In those vids it looks like being tossed left and right can spin you right up the beach(insto right or left turn) wouldn't a daytona style hull help that. Iv'e never been in a daytona do they turn too flat for river runnin?

sstjet
10-28-2007, 04:05 PM
The Picklefork definately turns flatter, but is still a great river boat and actually turns pretty hard if you want it to:D

Xerophobic
10-28-2007, 04:50 PM
:eek: :confused: :D :) :idea:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/tunnel2.jpg

H20MOFO
10-28-2007, 05:36 PM
???? Let's hear it. Too cool.

Schi-502
10-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Xero,
Tell me about the boat and power in post #19.
Mark

pokerboat
10-28-2007, 08:35 PM
Xerophobic what’s the cost of a 20’ hull

sanger rat
10-28-2007, 10:01 PM
:jawdrop: :eek: :confused: :D :) :idea:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/tunnel2.jpg

Xerophobic
10-29-2007, 07:17 AM
Xero,
Tell me about the boat and power in post #19.
Mark
Ummmm, I dunno, spy shot of an 08 model???? :idea:
:D

Xerophobic
10-29-2007, 07:21 AM
Xerophobic what’s the cost of a 20’ hull
A brand new 21 tunnel is $13500 bare. Modified sizes are typically a bit more for CAD work but if the boat is smaller its probably a wash. For the effort involved I'd just use the 21.
We have 5 going into production over the next while and I am determined to make sure the fab shop gets one under a scale. They always seem to forget!
Give me a call if you'd like I can see what is out there used and kicking around. Its very common for older race hulls to be converted to pleasure and I think we have one here now. I also know a racer who's ordered a new hull recently and his old one may be available.
We just sold a used race tunnel for $7500 which was in quite reasonable shape.
Cheers

sanger rat
10-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Is that picklefork twin jets?

Xerophobic
10-29-2007, 01:18 PM
Is that picklefork twin jets?
dang I knew that pic would open a can of worms LOL
Ok here is all I know. boat was brought to my attention by a HB board member doing a mag article on the boat. I'll let him pipe up about the status of that etc but he wanted a little history on the hull. I wasn't even aware anything like that had been built to be honest but a bit of digging soon got me a bit of info and a few old shots of the boat in production (both former owners are in all the time)
The boat was built as a twin and was an experiment of sorts. Yes the boat has twin Berks and small blocks I believe(when built anyway). I think the current owner is doing a full rerig etc The orig setup did have some sissues but I don't have much detail on that.
I would concer it is an awesome looking boat but I think it would take more than a few ooo's and aahhh's to get us to build one again. Then again you never know!
Sorry to get you guys excited, I will post the other pictures I have tho
Cheers

sanger rat
10-29-2007, 01:21 PM
Quit teasing! Post the pics.

Xerophobic
10-29-2007, 01:36 PM
haha holy tough crowd, takes time with ***boats image posting system ya know! :D
Hopefully the HB member who's doing the mag writeup will step forward. Im sure by now he knows far more about this boats modern setup etc
Cheers
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/tunnel4.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/tunnel3.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/tunnel1.jpg
I'll have to scan the shots from when it was in fabrication as they are actual photographs (they aren't very good shots really)

sanger rat
10-29-2007, 06:17 PM
What a nice boat. Sure seems like that hull would benefit if it had rideplates.

McIntyrelocal
10-29-2007, 06:26 PM
that thing is bitchen whats the total length?

hotrod56cars
10-29-2007, 09:59 PM
What a nice boat. Sure seems like that hull would benefit if it had rideplates.
:rolleyes: :idea:

bead
10-29-2007, 10:13 PM
pretty trick fishn boat:D

bead
10-29-2007, 10:16 PM
haha holy tough crowd, takes time with ***boats image posting system ya know! :D
Hopefully the HB member who's doing the mag writeup will step forward. Im sure by now he knows far more about this boats modern setup etc
Cheers
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/tunnel4.jpg
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/tunnel3.jpgcheck out the kool basset thru trans headers. wonder how well they work?
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/tunnel1.jpg
I'll have to scan the shots from when it was in fabrication as they are actual photographs (they aren't very good shots really)pretty sweet

FOURQ
10-30-2007, 07:47 AM
I would concer it is an awesome looking boat but I think it would take more than a few ooo's and aahhh's to get us to build one again. Then again you never know!
Cheers
money talks and bullshit walks .... how much complete no power setup for twin 800 hp BBC

Xerophobic
10-30-2007, 09:41 AM
We no longer even have the CAD nests for that hull as it was many years ago and a former version of Eagle. If one was really serious we would have to start the discussions about requirments, level of rigging etc before a price could be reached. it would have to be treated as a custom boat entirely as we don't even have a jig set up for a twin.
Cheers

bp
10-30-2007, 10:10 AM
a closer view of those valve covers would tell you who built the engines, and i'll give ya 1 guess as to who built those pumps. :)

BrendellaJet
10-30-2007, 10:54 AM
a closer view of those valve covers would tell you who built the engines, and i'll give ya 1 guess as to who built those pumps. :)
Pretty sure I've seen that boat over at Jacks...Was a while ago though.

Xerophobic
11-02-2007, 01:30 PM
We've had some talks about this boat over the past few days and from what I am told the boat now sports twin 530 hp 383's and with a light fuel load is running high 90's :eek:
Those are signifigant improvements over the first setup from what I am told.
I've also discussed the boat with Dale and a custom hull like this would need to be built in the slow season (order would need to be in by Dec 1) and would likely cost $25-30K for a bare hull, ready for prep for paint.
This would include welded in race style intakes and grates.
No interior, fuel tanks etc
Sizes and specific other requirments would need to be specified by the customer and as usual we would work closely to make sure you got exactly what you wanted. Placement of brackets and such for installation of floors etc would be included and of course we have expereince there as well to help with what works etc
We could also do a full rig less engines but would have to price based on customer specs. We have extremely competent rigging and upholstery inhouse
This would be a very fun project and the finished boat would be spectacular.
Cheers