PDA

View Full Version : weak roosters need a booster

rmclague
08-09-2002, 12:09 PM
I just picked up a second jet boat, 1979 universal Enforcer made in Grapevine Texas.
Could not resist the price was great. The problem is it has a factory Berkeley Jet-o-vator
And the rooster is embarassing!
Further more the linkage to operate the thing is so complex I do not know how I would add droop snoot of wedge without major linkage problems. My Sundowner has Place Diverter that works great but I would rather modify the existing trim and save the $600.00 to convert to place diverter.
If any of you has overcome this problem and has some wisdom for me lets hear it.
Thanks
Rob

VanDeano
08-11-2002, 03:29 AM
Had same problem. Check the teflon seal (where the jet turns left and right) and check the seal where the jet goes up and down .
Hope that helps. :D

76 Sleekcraft
08-13-2002, 03:38 AM
You may not want to do this, but this is what I did on a Glastron Carlson a few years ago. The rooster was not high at all, so I put it all the way up and looked at the nozzle. It was touching the top of the bowl. I took my grinder and removed some of the metal and it let the nozzle go up quite a bit more. I could not tell that it did anything but make the rooster a lot higher, which is what I was after.
You may want to look at this to see if you could do the same. It is a cheap way out.
Hope it helps. :cool:

rmclague
08-13-2002, 05:36 AM
76 Sleek:
I was looking at that exact possibility last nite. My only worry was if the nozzle can be made to go too far. I was afraid that its design may be such that it would seperate at the bottom if the nozzle pointed to far upward.
Now that you say it can be done with out problems, and I also saw where squirtcha did the same thing on his kachina. I think that may be my answer.
Thanks
Rob

WETDAWG
08-13-2002, 06:21 AM
Are you guys doing this on a Jet-O-Vator or on your Place diverters?
I have a Place Diverter (Hydraulic) that I'd like to get a little more height out of/
I saw a guy hit the bottom of the bridge at AVI last week end and now I want to do it too.
WD

Squirtcha?
08-13-2002, 06:36 AM
Hey Rob,
You can remove at least half of the amount of stop that is there now and still be safe. There is also one other place that has to be trimmed back some. There are some pics on the link to my site below detailing what I did to mine. You can use the 4 degree wedge too. 8 degree would probably be too much. Sorry the page is so slow loading. Keep meaning to fix that.

rmclague
08-13-2002, 07:03 AM
We are working on a jet-o-vator.
Squirtcha: I have checked out your site and it is great. I love your boat.
When I saw the arcticle on yours and you buddies Kachinas I wanted to have one.
This boat came along during my search and I loved it so the rest is history.
I wish more people would archive there projects like you did with the Jet-o-Vator fix, you just can't find that kind of info anywhere else.
Thanks
rob

Squirtcha?
08-13-2002, 07:56 AM
Thanks Rob. One thing we do have in common is the fact that we both bought boats that were manufactured in our home states. I stumbled across my Kachina after looking at a dozen boats or more. I wasn't looking for one but I'm happy that I bought it.