PDA

View Full Version : BBC Forged crank question?

BLOWN88FRESNO MINI
10-25-2007, 03:57 PM
I'm building a 496 N/A using a 9.8 std deck 454 4 bolt block .060/over SRP 10.25 to 1 full floater pistons, CompCams 11-252-4 Extreme Marine cam , Weiand Tunnel ram. Pro Comp alum heads
Question there are alot of cranks out there WHATS your Recommendation regarding cranks, H Beam Rods and what size carbs! with out throwin away any extra cash!
Eagle 4.25 cast or 4340
Scat 4.25 cast or 4340
Hawk 4340
C A T 4340

vee-driven
10-25-2007, 04:15 PM
Eagle forged for the money, but it may need some fine tuning by a reputable machine shop, eagle h beam rods with the good bolts and for the carb, holley 850 dp or bigger depending on cam and rpm.

RICHARD TILL
10-25-2007, 05:19 PM
one of my friends and myself have texas tunnel hulls with 496`s in them. mind has scat crank/rods and his has eagle crank/rods. mine is on its third year running the 10 sec. class and he just built his motor this spring. both of them are turning about 6500 rpm. i liked the looks of the eagle crank better and the rods looked the same. we took the cranks right of the box had the assemblies balanced and its been w.o.t. ever since. both cranks cost $700 after buying them 3 years apart. both boats have Bullet roller cams. We`ve run each other 3 times during qualifying and its whoever cuts the best light wins. if i had to buy a new crank right now, i`d just flip a coin between the two or buy whichever 4340 was the cheapest. .

BlueNun
10-25-2007, 07:01 PM
I would consider Callies as well. Probably closer tolerance and easier balance than the Eagle or Scat and priced about the same. All of em are good stuff that you would have a hard time hurting for sure
Heres a real great deal I found an am probably gonna buy
http://www.adperformance.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=71_232&products_id=742

vee-driven
10-25-2007, 07:09 PM
Probe pistons are TRASH, i can get them for next to nothing and won't even use them, so do yourself a favor and stay away from those ashtrays!

Outlaw
10-25-2007, 07:42 PM
So speaking of pistons............
JE or SRP?

vee-driven
10-25-2007, 08:38 PM
JE and SRP are made by the same company, JE is the race line and SRP is more of the street performance line and they are the best in my opinion and then there is cp which are top of the line also.

W.O.T
10-25-2007, 09:09 PM
Im running a forged Scat crank with Eagle rods and SRP forged pistons in my 468.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-25-2007, 09:30 PM
Scats are machined better than eagle. Eagles require more mallory to balance. These are words quoted from 4 different pro engine builders.

BLOWN88FRESNO MINI
10-25-2007, 10:07 PM
I'm using SRP pistons with about .210 pop up
What about the HAWKS Racing 4340 crank and C A T cranks or should I not ask!
Also what size carbs for the tunnel ram, heads are the pro top-line 320cc open chamber.
Thanks for all the info guys.
Lee

sanger rat
10-25-2007, 10:13 PM
Nothing wrong with the Hawks stuff. I've used the rods and crank.

MACHINEHEAD
10-26-2007, 04:13 AM
Built a nitrous 413 sbc a few years back and used all the cat stuff to se how it was. Pretty ugly but all the numbers were good. I have also been using the new scat pro I beam rod with good results in N/A applications. They are less money and weigh 50 grams or so less compared to their H-beam. Very good looking rod. As far as the crank dont really care just make sure its straight, round, and not cracked. I like the scat crank for your appl. JE has way more detail work and more upgrades compared to the SRP. Alloy in some of the appl. is another difference between JE and SRP. I would run 2 PN 1850 vac. 600cfm carbs. Awsome out of the box for your appl. and cheap!

MKEELINE
10-26-2007, 10:30 AM
How about Ohio Cranksahft? The few things I've heard about their stuff(crankshafts) has been positive. Prices are very sharp. www.ohiocrank.com

bumpstik
10-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Go with Scat.They are small enough that you can talk to the owner if you had to and you will get real answers from the tech people.They have been machineing cranks and rods for 40 years in inglewood and redondo beach ca.I had my first crank turned by them in '69. They can put together a complete rotating/balanced assembly also.

axkiker
10-26-2007, 11:06 AM
im kinda contemplating the same thing however im gonna stay pretty mild. Maybe around the 500-525hp mark
do you think that a forged crank is still needed in this application. From what I have read the iron series cranks are supposed to be good up to 700 hp. are they off on their numbers.
my ideas were to use either a scat or eagle kit with a nodular iron crank. forged i beam rods and forged pistons. of course all arp hardware. am I pushing the envelope.
I have even contemplated the hawks racing or cat performance brands but havent heard much about the.
I also have heard horror stories about boring a 454 block over the .030 mark. supposedly they have overheating issues . is this true.
any ideas???

River Rat 005
10-26-2007, 05:20 PM
I'm runnig an Eagle crank and H beam rods with L19 bolts. This rotating assembly was set up by Bill Mitchel(sp). It was internally balanced without any mallory. He use to use Scat but said Eagle was better. Making a guesstamated 700hp. Been racing it since 03. No problems yet.

jungledave
10-26-2007, 06:08 PM
I put an ohio crank and h beams in my 454 this summer. If I were to do it all over again I would put in a callies compstar and rods. I got to see one set side by side to my ohio stuff and there was an obvious difference. I am sure my ohio was comparable to an eagle or scat forged crank. The callies rods were gusseted on the cap ends where the bolts go through. The callies was only $150 more.

steelcomp
10-26-2007, 06:56 PM
JE and SRP are made by the same company, JE is the race line and SRP is more of the street performance line and they are the best in my opinion and then there is cp which are top of the line also.KB is making a new dedicated 2618 forging that's a realy nice piston. Better than an SRP, not quite as nice as a JE, but about $70 less expensive than the SRP. I can get these and great deals on rotating assys if anyone is interested. PM me for details.

steelcomp
10-26-2007, 06:58 PM
Probe pistons are TRASH, i can get them for next to nothing and won't even use them, so do yourself a favor and stay away from those ashtrays!
They're not trash by any means. Definately the budget buy of forged pistons, but still a decent upgrade from stock or Hyper's. You get what you pay for.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
10-28-2007, 10:51 PM
im kinda contemplating the same thing however im gonna stay pretty mild. Maybe around the 500-525hp mark
do you think that a forged crank is still needed in this application. From what I have read the iron series cranks are supposed to be good up to 700 hp. are they off on their numbers.
my ideas were to use either a scat or eagle kit with a nodular iron crank. forged i beam rods and forged pistons. of course all arp hardware. am I pushing the envelope.
I have even contemplated the hawks racing or cat performance brands but havent heard much about the.
I also have heard horror stories about boring a 454 block over the .030 mark. supposedly they have overheating issues . is this true.
any ideas???
I spun a BBC to 6k for 2 years with CAST parts. I ran a cast bbc crank,stock rods, and speedpro forged slugs. Of course everything was balanced properly,straight and on the money. Not to mention I had good bolts all over ym motor;)
Spitter

BLOWN88FRESNO MINI
11-08-2007, 11:18 AM
I just ordered the 4340 CAT 4.250 int. bal. crank and CAT H-beam rods from racingman168(ebay seller). WE'LL SEE!

cfm
11-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Cat is still around ? Wow, haven't heard that name for about 3 yrs.
Speaking of which, last time I was involved with a conversation with that name was when I was at a dyno shop / engine building facility I do business with and the topic was "Do you want a good laugh while I cry ?"
Builder never saw them (Cat stuff) before and okay'd a deal for their SBC rods to help out his supplier that had 'too many' of them.
The small ends look like they where machined by a kindergardner !!!! They where all over the place. He had boxes and boxes of them...maybe two dozen ? We randomly opened the boxes and continually laughed in disbelief as he was trying to figure out how to renig on the deal with his sales guy.
We figured out pretty quick why SUmmit advertised them for a while and then dropped them. Also realized why the name seemingly disappeared from engine shops/suppliers but came into E-Bay.
Buyer beware !!!!!!!

IMPATIENT 1
11-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Scats are machined better than eagle. Eagles require more mallory to balance. These are words quoted from 4 different pro engine builders.
i just got my 505 kit in and all they had to do to the crank was remove alittle, none was added or needed(runnin big je domes,eagle hbeams). 4340 4.25 eagle crank;) this was the 1st time i ordered a balanced kit so i called my shop i normally use and asked some q's about having no mallory in the crank, he said if the pistons are heavy domes, they won't have to add mallory on most eagle cranks. i went ahead and used some borrowed paint scales and remeasured everything to compare to the balance sheet, its was all dead on.
i did have to buy a stick of mallory when they balanced the 475 eagle/srp set-up i had.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
11-09-2007, 09:25 AM
i just got my 505 kit in and all they had to do to the crank was remove alittle, none was added or needed(runnin big je domes,eagle hbeams). 4340 4.25 eagle crank;) this was the 1st time i ordered a balanced kit so i called my shop i normally use and asked some q's about having no mallory in the crank, he said if the pistons are heavy domes, they won't have to add mallory on most eagle cranks. i went ahead and used some borrowed paint scales and remeasured everything to compare to the balance sheet, its was all dead on.
i did have to buy a stick of mallory when they balanced the 475 eagle/srp set-up i had.
There it is.....

IMPATIENT 1
11-09-2007, 09:49 AM
There it is.....
here's a pic of my 4.00 eagle crank, you can see mallory in the frt throw. don't really understand why its there, but they put it there. i was runnin srp blower flat tops and hbeams on that crankhttp://***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42775&stc=1&d=1194630511

steelcomp
11-10-2007, 06:07 PM
I've been doing a little research lately and it seems that the best bang for the buck in the import catagory is looking like the Scat stuff. I just had a Probe crank sent back becuase it looked like it was macnined in a high school shop class. Their H beam rods look OK, but compared to the Scat's, they look like a light weight Scat rod. The Eagle cranks have a different counter balance placement than the Scats that I've heard can cause balance issues. Everything I've seen from Scat has been more nicely machined, and more nicely finished than 99% of everything else I've looked at, and the prices are better.

75 spectra V-drive
11-10-2007, 07:30 PM
The chinese are sending childrens toys with lead paint,why the f#@$ would you trust any of their forgings? even at half price? Eagle,Scat,Callies? do yourself a favor and read the small print. American companys that sacrifice quality for cost deserve to be out of business. Just my .02

steelcomp
11-10-2007, 08:50 PM
I understand your point and empathise with it as well, but It's all about supply and demand. If the American companies can supply the same level of quality for the same price, then they'll get the business, but you have to understand that the chinese are facing a crisis, and are in desperate times. They need to create jobs for their population. They're building a new power plant every two days. They need to provide jobs for the people living in the country in order to keep them from coming into the city looking for work. The city is already drastically overpopulated, and they're at the brink of losing control of that population. The easiest and most logical way to provide jobs for the people in the country (and keep them there) is in manufacturing. They're, as I said, desperate, and couldn't care less about energy consumption, pollution, or the environment and they're getting their hands on everything and anything they can manufacture better, and cheaper than anyone else, not just the US, and there's not a lot anyone can do about it.
Also, your point about trusting their products because of the lead/toys issues is a little skewed. What does one have to do with the other? The market for the stuff we buy is relatively small. They do ahve competition here, and they know they couldn't aford to lose the market so there wouldn't be aby reason for them to manufacture an inferior product, which they aren't. The lead in the toy incidents stink of something fishy going on, and it's my guess there's something intentional going on there. It's too much coincidense, too frequently, and too all-of-a-sudden. If there were suddenly a rash of crank or rod failures and it was determined that they were using 1018 steel instead of 4140, then you might have a point. Also one more point. Some of these cranks are made in the US and machined in China. Others are forged in China and machined in the US. All have a place in our market that the US manufacturers aren't filling...or are they?

MACHINEHEAD
11-11-2007, 09:14 PM
Entry level forged Scat cranks are made in china and fully machined in Redondo Beach. Their 7000 series and have it your way type forged cranks are forged and machined here. The billet series cranks are made here also. The billet stuff is super bad ass. Starts out as this huge ingot of chro mo and machined down into a crank. Seen it done at SCAT. Thanks for the tour. Bumpstik is correct about their superior customer service. Cant say that for the Eagle stuff. And have purchased equally from both. Eagle just has some stuff for other engines that Scat doesnt.