PDA

View Full Version : baffles vs. mufflers

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
05-21-2003, 08:15 AM
Okay I have installed new twisy headers on my 460 ford. they are loud (real loud) and also illegal to run on the lake open from what I hear. I need input on header inserts. A local guy here in town has some of the hi performance bassett mufflers but they are pricey. Just wanted to know if there was a performance differnce between the baffles and mufflers? the baffles seem to be cheaper
Omega

P-Money
05-21-2003, 08:20 AM
I just stuck a set of Bassett Mufflers in my headers for the mere fact that if I get pulled over I can say I made an effort to quite the boat down. The boat doesn't seem much quiter to me. One thing to keep in mind is to make sure whatever you get that you fasten them in there good (I used a castle nut and cotter key). I had a set of baffles, but they decided to hop out during the middle of a ride.

OMEGA_BUBBLE_JET
05-21-2003, 08:23 AM
did you use the hi performance mufflers? did you see any decrease in top end performance? I know it will still be better than it was with logs but I am curious how much. By the way how hard is it to get them out if you want to make a run loud and proud.......
Omega

Beautiful Noise
05-21-2003, 11:10 AM
I have the Bassett Muffler's also I only use them at Certain Place's I just enjoy them Loud. They do Quiet down quite a bit and are easy to put in and take out with 1 Bolt and it didn't seem to effect any Top End Speed not that I'm Fast mind you :rolleyes: :)
Steve

Danhercules
05-21-2003, 11:31 AM
posted May 21, 2003 12:10 PM
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have the Bassett Muffler's also I only use them at Certain Place's I just enjoy them Loud. They do Quiet down quite a bit and are easy to put in and take out with 1 Bolt and it didn't seem to effect any Top End Speed not that I'm Fast mind you
Steve
Ditto! smile_sp

P-Money
05-21-2003, 12:17 PM
did you use the hi performance mufflers? did you see any decrease in top end performance? I know it will still be better than it was with logs but I am curious how much. By the way how hard is it to get them out if you want to make a run loud and proud.......
Yes, I have the high performanc mufflers. As far as top end performance, I just got this motor back together and haven't had it wide open yet so I really can't answer that. Taking them out is easy: pull out the cotter key, take off the castle nut, pull out the bolt, pull out the muffler. They just slip in. I had logs on this motor before I added the supercharger, now I run headers. I decide to sacrifice my hearing for a few more ponies. :D

Danhercules
05-21-2003, 02:10 PM
I had logs on this motor before I added the supercharger, now I run headers. I decide to sacrifice my hearing for a few more ponies.
WHAT??!?!?!??!! smile_sp

hottrodder
05-23-2003, 06:57 AM
I run the exhaust on my flatbottom dry and unbaffled. The boat only gets out a few times a year and it just seems right. Anyway at the Needles v-drive event a few weeks ago I made my way down to Topock for lunch. And who should I see at the gas dock? The man! Once tied up he walked over took one look and said 'I don't see any water tubes going to those headers?' In the end he told me that water flow was required by law for safety. Mufflers dry are not enough.

Beautiful Noise
05-23-2003, 07:50 AM
hottrodder,That's why you run a Valve so when the MAN is around you can turn it on for his Benefit PLUS it keep's you out of Hot Water :D
Steve