PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on 27-28' boats???

Mike.M
04-15-2003, 05:15 PM
I am considering the following boats - Fountain 27 Fever, 27 Formula, Donzi 28ZX. If the boat reaches 65 - 70 mph I will be happy. I will be using it mainly in the Pacific Northwest - both in the ocean and in lakes. The Donzi is the only twin engine under consideration. I currently am leaning toward the Fountain, however I would like some feedback from anyone who already owns one of these - ie. opinions, what things should I consider etc. I have been boating for years, however this will be my first high performance boat. Thanks!

Havasu Cig
04-16-2003, 06:53 AM
I would go for the Donzi. We have a Top Gun and the thought of having two motors when boating in the ocean just sits a little better with me. There are other reasons I like twins as well, and Donzi builds a very nice boat. Go to Offshoreonly.com, there are alot more people on that site familier with the above boats you have listed.

Steamin' Rice
04-16-2003, 08:06 AM
Are you set on the boats that you listed above? If you are interested, there are a few west coast custom builders that make boats in the size rnage you are looking at that can hold their own in the ocean.. Like HavasuCig mentioned, you will be able to get a lot of feedback on the boats you listed over at www.offshoreonly.com. (http://www.offshoreonly.com.) You can probably get a lot of feedback on west coast boats on this website if you are considering any of those.
Having said that, out of the boats you listed, I would probably lean towards either the Formula or the Donzi. The Fountain is going to be the smallest boat out of the three, with room comparable to a 24-25' boat due to the "beak" and integrated swim step. If you plan to do much water skiing, a single engine is nice for that. If you don't plan for much water skiing, twins would be nice for peace of mind in case you encounter any motor issues... Good luck with your shopping...
[ April 16, 2003, 09:09 AM: Message edited by: Steamin' Rice ]

cbudge
04-16-2003, 05:05 PM
If you are serious about performance and quality and a boat that loves the rough check out 28 Bullet www.Howardboats.com (http://www.Howardboats.com)

NashvilleBound
04-17-2003, 05:20 AM
Havasu Cig has it right.. offshoreonly.com Do a search on relivent material and you will be amazed how much info there will be. Me, I'm looking at the DCB Extreme 28 set up with blown twins (aren't we all :) ). Same setup as my Ultra 247 but slightly larger..oh, and a tad more power. :D
Good Luck NB

hpron
04-17-2003, 04:26 PM
If you are serious about wanting a boat that handles the rough then hands down it would be a Warlock either 27 or 29.....hands down favorite for racing in any kinda water.....just my .02 and experience

DEEZ NUTTS
04-17-2003, 06:06 PM
hpron, Do you have a warlock? My next boat will be a 27 or 29. I love it when its rough(the water). I have kicked around buying a used F1 boat but am not ready to upgrade just yet. what speeds are you getting with what power? I know the pleasure set up will be heavier and slower than F1 trim.

hpron
04-18-2003, 02:16 AM
Deez Nutts
Yep.......I do have a 27 right now..have raced the 29 in F1.....fully dialed in 82 to 83 range and you dont have to lift when the water gets snotty...I am currently running a 27 in the APBA east coast now.....just finished Daytona..my throttleman is new to a Warlock and was amazed on how the ride was through the rough stuff.churned up water from 42 boats running the course..pleasure version with a stock 500efi will run 77-79 mph....its takes a lot of prop work..

Havasu Cig
04-18-2003, 08:29 AM
A friend had a 27 Warlock and it was a great boat, handled rough water well. He loved the boat but said he would not buy another because of the service or lack of that he received from the factory. This was acouple years ago, I don't know if things have changed since then.

HAULNZ
04-18-2003, 12:52 PM
We have a 2002 Donzi 28ZX and love it. We looked at boats for over a year, did all the research, toured the factories, test drove, and in my opinion, picked the best boat. The qaulity and attention to detail in a Donzi is great. :) :) :)

paradigm shift
04-18-2003, 06:44 PM
You stated where you would boat but not what type of boating. Cruise from here to there or do you over night. Biggest suggestion I would have is to be sure and test drive or try an dfind some rides in a boat like it before you buy. There are several other choices out there beside those 3 I think. Those are good though. :)

Mike.M
04-19-2003, 11:45 AM
Hey - thanks to everyone for their input so far! Let me provide some further information: my wife and I would be using the boat for a variety of purposes - but mostly day / pleasure use. Skiing/wakeboarding would be the least important activity, while cruising around would be the most - along with going to some destinations. The ocean use is mainly in protected areas rather than open ocean. Having a decent cabin is nice, however I don't foresee a lot of overnighting, although maybe sometimes. Also, we want it to be reasonably easy to deal with on a trailer. Speed is important to some extent, but so is comfort. One criteria is to have a full windshield. We recently demo'ed a 27 Fountain w/496HO in Tacoma, WA and liked it. It was a nice day, but cool, so the widshield was appreciated. Thanks for the tips re. offshoreonly.com - great site!

playdeep
04-19-2003, 08:42 PM
Just my 02..
Good friend of mine has a 27ft. Fountain,the actual room is comparable to a 24-25 ft boat...
A 27 w/ a 496 is gonna be a slug.
Another friend (Jim Nichols/EBA vice pres.)has a 27 Warlock with a blown 509.Amazing rough water boat boat,narrow beam,small but stable.
Hard to go wrong with a Shockwave,DCB,Eliminator,try them all you are gonna be the final judge,you will know when you've found the right one...good luck.
Keep us posted.

spectras only
04-20-2003, 09:22 PM
Mike, I see you're from my neck of woods, so I'll put my .02 cdn in for you. I have a 24 spectra [not for sale] that has a good size cabin and you can put a windshield on if you choose to do so .There's a 32 spectra for sale in the seattle area with triple axel trailer. That boat has even more room with 2X454's ,B/W tranny and TRS legs.It may have sold already [the asking price was 27K us only] since it was all original and in good condition.If I didn't have the 24 already I would have bought it .I can show you the construction of my spectra to measure other boats against it.Spectras are very heavy compared to newer boats,but I prefer the bullettproof trait of them around here with floating debris in the waterways.You can e-mail me if you want to see my boat at california marine in richmond.

Havasu Cig
04-21-2003, 07:43 AM
You can have wind deflectors put on most boats as well. Our Cig has a race fairing, but has wind deflectors that can be raised and they work fairly well. Just a thought if you find a boat you like but it does not have a windshield.

Charley
05-02-2003, 12:01 AM
MM dave@DCB is tooling a canopy deck for his 28 extreme as we speak....

Phat_Kat
05-02-2003, 11:48 AM
Charley:
MM dave@DCB is tooling a canopy deck for his 28 extreme as we speak.... So there's gonna be like a F-28extreme or something? :D

hpron
05-02-2003, 02:49 PM
Charley:
MM dave@DCB is tooling a canopy deck for his 28 extreme as we speak.... Charley.....will it be full enclosed or just 1/2.I had talked with him late last year about building one for Factory 1 to race in the APBA,it would be bitchin if he came up with a SVL to run against the Extreme's and Phantom's

26 QUEST
05-27-2003, 01:43 PM
TAKE A LOOK AT A POWERQUEST 26. I HAVE A 496 IN MINE AND I GET 63 OUT OF IT SO IF YOU WERE TO PUT IN A HO YOU SHOULD GET UPPER 60S.YOU WOULD ALSO HAVE SOME MONEY LEFT OVER TO SPEND ON A TOW RIG. 10 GRAND LESS THAN 27 FEVER.

OGShocker
05-29-2003, 07:54 AM
Hey Mike,
My wife and I just bought a 27' Dana Performance OffShore. The boat is being built for us from the ground up. Here is a shot taken day before yesterday!http://www.theoldgeezers.org/boatfront.jpg
The folks at Dana are great to work with. For more information contact Tom the owner @ Dana (http://www.danaboats.com)

OGShocker
05-29-2003, 08:07 AM
cbudge:
If you are serious about performance and quality and a boat that loves the rough check out 28 Bullet www.Howardboats.com (http://www.Howardboats.com) Howard makes one of the best boats BAR NONE. The only problem is, you have to deal with Gene. We looked at Howards and five other builders boats , over eight years We went with Dana because, for one thing, they don't act like they are doing you a favor by taking your money.
I don't want to act like I am busting Gene's chops but, I know him. I've had cocktails in the Marina with him, He is a great boat builder he just needs a hug now and then.

Mike.M
05-30-2003, 08:51 AM
The choices seem to be endless - there really are so many different alternatives! The Dana looks really nice - my only hesitation with looking further would be the fact that it is very low profile and the absence of a windshield. The Pacific NW can be a little cool and damp sometimes... so, I am looking at boats with a bit of depth to them and a full windshield. Powerquest does fit that bill. By the way, my dream boat since I was about 12 - when I sneeked into a ~35' at the marina for the first time :=) - has to be a Cigarette 38 TG. But, for now, this is beyond my budget, and not exactly the best for my climate. Anyway, glad I posted here because I have learned about 3 or 4 boat makers I have not heard about before. Thanks!

Mike.M
05-30-2003, 09:26 AM
Hey OGShocker - I just e-mailed Tom @ Dana for more info. Thx.

OGShocker
05-30-2003, 10:14 AM
Mike.M:
Hey OGShocker - I just e-mailed Tom @ Dana for more info. Thx. Glad to help... Both you and Tom.

26 QUEST
05-30-2003, 12:48 PM
THE POWERQUEST IS A DEEP BOAT AND IT DOES COME WITH OR WITHOUT A WINDSHIELD. I HAVE HAD MINE OUT IN 6 FOOTERS WITHOUT NO WORRYS.WORTH A LOOK.

Mike.M
05-30-2003, 02:38 PM
26 QUEST:
THE POWERQUEST IS A DEEP BOAT AND IT DOES COME WITH OR WITHOUT A WINDSHIELD. I HAVE HAD MINE OUT IN 6 FOOTERS WITHOUT NO WORRYS.WORTH A LOOK. Definitely! Did you look at the 28 as well as the 26? Also, did you compare to some of the other boats mentioned in this thread - if so what made you decide on Powerquest? Mike.

playdeep
05-30-2003, 05:11 PM
...6 footers in a 26 ft. boat?,sorry,but I am not buying into that one.
BTW,How are Powerquest's laid up...by hand or do they use a choppergun?

INDY27
05-30-2003, 07:18 PM
Go with the Fountain! best looks, performance and resale value!

26 QUEST
05-31-2003, 06:01 AM
POWERQUEST ARE BUILT ON ON THE GREAT LAKES 5-6 FOOTERS ARE OUT EVERY DAY. FOUNTAINS ARE A GREAT BOAT, I TALKED TO WYATT FOUNTAIN LAST WEEK ABOUT OPENING A DEALERSHIP UP,SO I KNOW HOW GOOD THAY ARE AND YES RESALE IS GOOD. I WENT WITH MINE MOSTLY BECAUSE OF PRICE/VALUE.MY BOAT WAS THE SHOW BOAT IN CHICAGO AND MAIMI SO THAY CUT ME A GREAT PRICE. MANDI AT POWERQUEST WAS THERE HELPING AT THE SHOW SHE WAS VERY HELPFUL.POWERQUESTS ARE HANDLAID WITH SEMI CUSTOM PAINT JOBS.IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY GO WITH A FOUNTAIN BUT GO WITH A 29.IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A GREAT VALUE POWERQUEST ARE WORTH A GOOD LOOK.I SOLD BOATS FOR 5 YEARS. FOURWINN SEARAY WELLCRAFT REGAL FORMULA AND PROFILE. ALL ARE GOOD WELL BUILT BOATS. IF YOU CAN GET TO A SHOW THAN YOU CAN LOOK AT MANY SIDE BY SIDE.

Mike.M
05-31-2003, 08:26 AM
26Quest - Why the 29 Fountain over the 27? Obviously the 29 is bigger, and has a better cabin, etc., but the 27 would be easier on a trailer and the wallet. Not that I haven't looked at the 29.., but bear in mind this will be my first foray into the world of hi-performance and offshore boating, so in some ways I would like to keep it simple. My goal is to move up to the over 30' / twin engine range after. With respect to Powerquest, I have e-mailed them for some info., however I did not see a dealer locater on the website. If anyone knows of a dealer between BC, WA, or OR??? Back to Fountain - I sent an e-mail directly to them requesting some performance data for boat engine combinations other than what they cite in their material but have not responded. I know you can get all this info. from forums - including offshoreonly.com, but it would be nice to get a response from the company. Having said that, I met a Fountain factory rep. at the Vancouver boat show, and again when demo'ing a 27 Fever in Tacoma - and was impressed with his presentation of the boat.

26 QUEST
05-31-2003, 09:05 AM
29 FOR THE SIZE, REALLY ABOUT 27 FEET.IF YOU WANT TO CALL SOMEONE CALL BILL AT RIVERVIEW MARINE. HE IS A BIG FOUNTION,DONZ AND POWERQUEST DEALER IN CHICAGO. YOU CAN CHECK OUT THEM ONLINE.WWW.RIVERVIEWMARINE.COM OR 1-815-663-1000
I HAVE SOLD ABOUT 7 BOATS WITH HIM AND NEVER A PROBLEM.HE DOES HAVE BOATS ON BOATTRADER.COM BILL IS A STRIGHT SHOOTER.HE MIGHT BE ABLE TO GET BETTER INFO FOR YOU.

OGShocker
06-01-2003, 12:07 PM
Were you measuring the swell size from the sea floor? What was your SOW(speed over water)?
26 QUEST:
THE POWERQUEST IS A DEEP BOAT AND IT DOES COME WITH OR WITHOUT A WINDSHIELD. I HAVE HAD MINE OUT IN 6 FOOTERS WITHOUT NO WORRYS.WORTH A LOOK.

Charley
06-02-2003, 07:57 AM
hpron:
Charley:
MM dave@DCB is tooling a canopy deck for his 28 extreme as we speak.... Charley.....will it be full enclosed or just 1/2.I had talked with him late last year about building one for Factory 1 to race in the APBA,it would be bitchin if he came up with a SVL to run against the Extreme's and Phantom's Dave is tooling for a 1/2 or 1/4 canopy... I asked him the same thing and he would be interested in doing a full canopy race boat, so if anyone is interested idea :D

OGShocker
06-02-2003, 01:38 PM
Mike.M:
Hey OGShocker - I just e-mailed Tom @ Dana for more info. Thx. Did Tom get back to you? Just checking.

Mike.M
06-02-2003, 06:27 PM
OGShocker:
Mike.M:
Hey OGShocker - I just e-mailed Tom @ Dana for more info. Thx. Did Tom get back to you? Just checking. Yes he did. He's sending me some info by snail-mail. Thank-you.

Steamin' Rice
06-04-2003, 08:56 AM
If that 27' Schiada is the same one that was downstairs at the LA boat show this year, it is a beautiful boat, very clean.

26 QUEST
06-06-2003, 06:56 AM
mike are you any closer or are we making it harder?

Mike.M
06-06-2003, 04:01 PM
26 QUEST:
mike are you any closer or are we making it harder? Not really, but the more info the better. I will be perusing all the options this summer - I am not in a rush at this point. Probably take the opportunity to look at some dealers along the coast in conjunction with some traveling. I can say that I have ruled Baja out - which was the first boat I looked at. :confused: :rolleyes: :D

RollWithIt
06-07-2003, 06:26 AM
Just to make your selection dilemma harder, you can go to www.performanceboatusa.com (http://www.performanceboatusa.com) and click on MANUFACTURERS for a complete web listing of high performance boat makers from Active Thunder to Wellcraft. I hope this can help you to compare the different makes and models available. Good luck and happy boating. From a Baja owner.

Mike.M
06-07-2003, 07:57 AM
RollWithIt:
Just to make your selection dilemma harder, you can go to www.performanceboatusa.com (http://www.performanceboatusa.com) and click on MANUFACTURERS for a complete web listing of high performance boat makers from Active Thunder to Wellcraft. I hope this can help you to compare the different makes and models available. Good luck and happy boating. From a Baja owner. Thanks - What Baja model do you have? I first looked closely at the 25 Outlaw. I love the aesthetics - flat deck and square transom etc., however the low profile windscreen rules it out. I otherwise really like it. My wife and I also looked at a Performance Series 27' at the boat show head-to-head with Formula and Fountain, and just prefered the others. The 27 Baja was just a bit too rounded in styling for my taste.

Lotoparty
06-08-2003, 10:33 AM
another one you should take a hard look at is the 288 Sunsation. best bang for the buck imho.
fairly fast , excellent fit and finish , FANTASTIC customer service , very good resale value. only comes in a single engine though , which if this is your first go-fast , might be a good idea. if your decided on the twins , Formula is the best value out there.
best of luck ,
steve
http://www.sunsationboats.com/default.asp

RollWithIt
06-11-2003, 02:34 PM
Mike, I have an 1988 240 sport. It is basically the precursur to the Outlaw line. In fact, I have the same hull on mine as the 24 Outlaw ran up till 1996. I am happy with the ride quality and how the boat looks. The only models in the Baja line that I like are the outlaws. I never really considered buying one before because there are so many in Pittsburgh but I was really pleased with it. Extactic the first time I took it out. Plus it fit my budget so that I could get an entry boat into the performance world. Best recommendation I can make is go and check out the boats you are considering in person. You learn a lot more that way. I always thought the Fountains were nice boats, and they are, but I was dissappointed in the interior room they had. I am 6' 230 pounds and like to stretch out. Events like the Miami Boat Show and L.A. are great ways to look at all the boats in one place. What ever boat you choose, just check it out, test drive it and buy what makes you happiest. smile_sp devil

RebarBox
06-24-2003, 04:54 PM
Don't know if your looking at old or new. The biggest bang for your buck is one of the old 28' Cigarettes. I have a 74' with twin small blocks that runs low 70's. Thier heavy old boats, but it doesn't worry me one bit to get 3+ foot of air. The best thing about them is there is no worries about taking a bath when you sell. They can be bought all day long for 20 to 30 thousand and will be worth that in 5 - 10 years because the the sticker on the side and the Aronow name behind it.
Not to mention, a proven hull design that is arguably one of the best ever made.
Just my two cents!

Mike.M
06-24-2003, 05:15 PM
Actually I have perused the old Cigarette 28's (on-line) - the pedigree is undeniable and I like Cigarette's in general. My dream boat is probably a Cig. 38TG, but for now I am restricted by budget. Not to mention this will be my first foray into high-performance offshore boating, so I wnat something I can get used to before (hopefully) moving up to something more ideal down the road. I have never seen a 28 up close, but in the pictures they look like they might have a lower freeboard than some of the other boats mentioned so far. Can you tell me some of the spec's - weight, width, etc.?

RebarBox
06-25-2003, 06:28 PM
Weight, not real positive. I have heard the old 28 SS's are around 6500 lbs dry. That would be small blocks and I believe they all run 80 gal. rear and 35 gal. front fuel tanks. Beams are 7'-6". They are a very deep hull. As I own one, my opinion my be beis - one of the best riding 28's ever made. I have riden in 30 - 34 foot boats that are not even close on the ride quality. But, for the ride you pay the price in weight. They are built like a brick and move they the water like.....pushing a brick. I'm running about 400 hp per side and am only able to achive about 70 mph. But, I can ride 65 - 70 mph in most any water conditions. There are several old 28's on www.traderonline.com (http://www.traderonline.com) and I believe there might be one for sale on the classified section of www.offshoreonly.com. (http://www.offshoreonly.com.) OSO has many pics of them as well as www.thunderboatalley.com (http://www.thunderboatalley.com) has lots of pics, too. They started being made in 74' up thru (I think??) 1985 +/-. The only real differance was the windshield height. Most all ran small blocks but there are a few with big blocks made around 1980+.
Good luck in your future boat. If you need any more info on the old cig's feel free to e-mail me @ rebarbox@gldrippingsprings.com

Freak
06-26-2003, 03:59 AM
Do not forget Velocity. My friend has a 28 that is very nice. Gps 85mph with 540hp. Fast hull that run's in the rough and turns with the best. PVC no rot floor, all the creature comforts, deep cockpit for a nice ride the wife will like. Best of all the price is right. They are well liked on offshoreonly.

BUKKAKIBLASTER
07-25-2003, 03:33 PM
What about checkmate-Have had 3 previous! Great boats & handle big water well & roomy.Good luck on boat shopping!