PDA

View Full Version : Need help fast on ARP bolts-building motor tomorrow

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
06-05-2003, 08:49 PM
My stock rod bolt torque is 42ftlbs. On arp's website it says 50 ft lbs for a 455 olds. WHy is it much higher than the stock spec? I looked at every other torque spec for arp's and all of the others are lower than the stock spec. My mains are at 85 ft lbs and the stock spec on them are 120 ft lbs. I need to get some quick answers before I start tomorrow morning. Thanks,396

wsuwrhr
06-05-2003, 08:59 PM
120 sounds high to me for main bolts, stock or not. 45-50 sounds right for the torque for a 3/8 rod bolt. ARP has a VERY good custumer service department. Give them a call first thing, and they will tell you whatever you need to know.
Brian
(ARP guy)

Omega21
06-05-2003, 09:11 PM
I may be off base here, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere about ARP's torque specs being set up for their 'thread lube' stuff.
Maybe it was on www.realoldspower.com (http://www.realoldspower.com) ??

Mike G
06-05-2003, 11:17 PM
Yup, from building my supercharged SBC, I remember the ARP fasteners are torqued when lubed with moly lube.
Why the rod bolts are tighter, I don't know, but I'm sure that's why the others are less.
Mike

Liberator TJ1984
06-06-2003, 05:10 AM
I believe the torque factors are higher due to the material bolts are made of..it takes more to "stretch" them and put the proper load on them ? most engine builders will us a "stretch gauge" and check preloads on the rod bolts...at least mine did :confused:
Goodluck
Gopherrr
:confused: maybe PM Infomaniac :confused:

Chris J
06-06-2003, 07:31 AM
If you're switching from bolts to studs the torque spec is usually less because the nuts are fine thread where the bolts coarse. The finer threads give more clamping force with the same torque on the fastener. The type of lube you use when assembling also makes a differents. Regardless use the ARP specs.