View Full Version : How fast are Jets?

HPjunkie
10-28-2007, 04:53 PM
I am selling my 25 Eliminator Eagle closed bow and want to get into a smaller bow rider say 21 or 22. I have never owned a jet. my question is how fast are they really? Say a 21 Carrera, ultra ETC. How fast with a 350 hp motor? If I put in my 800 hp blower motor, how fast could I go? Do pumps need a lot of adjustments when you add horsepower? I kinda know about ss impellors vs. Aluminum. Do I have to change anything to add the big motor? I need some bearings on this jet thing. THanks Greg.

OverKill
10-28-2007, 05:13 PM
I could depend on alot of things if you let it. IMO 350hp with that hull might see 55mph. With 800hp maybe 85mph or more. Yes with anything over 500hp you should use a Stainless Steel impellor. Some peeps use aluminum with more than 500 and get away with it, IMO it's a risk if you don't want to take with family in the boat.
IMO if I was going from 350hp to 800hp in a jet, I would rebuild the pump to those specs. For example maybe a (B) Impellor over an AA impellor with a 350hp motor. Also I would make sure the hull has full stringers for more stability. Im sure the rest of the guys here will chime in with some more info that you might need.
OverKill

Outlaw
10-28-2007, 05:21 PM
If you want "FAST" don't buy a open bow 21.
although with 800hp it should run pretty good.
now if your looking for a good smooth safe for kids
boat a jet is the only way to go IMO.

wet77
10-28-2007, 05:28 PM
I am selling my 25 Eliminator Eagle closed bow and want to get into a smaller bow rider say 21 or 22. I have never owned a jet. my question is how fast are they really? Say a 21 Carrera, ultra ETC. How fast with a 350 hp motor? If I put in my 800 hp blower motor, how fast could I go? Do pumps need a lot of adjustments when you add horsepower? I kinda know about ss impellors vs. Aluminum. Do I have to change anything to add the big motor? I need some bearings on this jet thing. THanks Greg.
Check your PM's;)

vee-driven
10-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Not fast enough. haha

455Rocket
10-28-2007, 06:02 PM
I think the answer is not very... jets eat HP for lunch, but they are simple, reliable, and inexpensive to maintain. Not to mention a hell of a lot more fun to drive.
My 20.5 Elite Carrera w/ 330 HP runs in the mid 50's.

Placecraft Dragstar
10-28-2007, 06:22 PM
How fast do you wanna go, how much money do you want to spend

BrendellaJet
10-28-2007, 06:55 PM
I just made a switch similar to what you are contemplating. A 450 hp 502 to a 800 hp 548 in a 21 foot jet boat. I rebuilt the jet and put in a mag bronze impeller. Due to the change & the increase in power a new driveline was needed. This necessitated that I move the engine forward 2.5 inches. I think the reason for this was that the old driveline is no longer used (obsolete) and current configurations for a 1350 series driveline were going to be longer. Fortunately I was able to modify my rear seat base to accomodate the direct drive alternator so all was well. Other than that, it was a bolt in deal. I also rewired and replumbed the whole boat but that was not necessitated by the motor change so much as I just wanted to clean things up a bit.
How fast? I dont have a GPS but Im turning an A impeller 5800 rpm. Id say Im in the low to mid 80's. Im considering a trimming to a B to get me to max power(another 50 or so hp) but Im going to wait and see how close I am to 90 on a GPS, I may just throw in some NOS...
The acceleration is nice. Not as nice as the 800 hp was in an 18 foot boat(wicked fast), but I'll bet Im gonna lay the smack down on 9 out of 10 cruisers out there and probably catch a few 18-19ers off guard too.

Nucking futs
10-28-2007, 07:01 PM
but I'll bet Im gonna lay the smack down on 9 out of 10 cruisers out there and probably catch a few 18-19ers off guard too.
Maybe 7 out of 10, Theres some pretty stout cruisers running around now and a few more are getting built. :D

BrendellaJet
10-28-2007, 07:10 PM
Maybe 7 out of 10, Theres some pretty stout cruisers running around now and a few more are getting built. :D
LOL, nitrous can fix that. If not then Ill ditch the single 4 and throw on a tunnel ram. I knowingly left power on the table with this combo so I could step it up if needed.:D

IMPATIENT 1
10-28-2007, 07:25 PM
LOL, nitrous can fix that. If not then Ill ditch the single 4 and throw on a tunnel ram. I knowingly left power on the table with this combo so I could step it up if needed.:D
lol, wait till you guys get aload of my new set-up. 300hp shots will no longer be considered big around here:D

Sleeper CP
10-28-2007, 08:09 PM
HPjunkie,
Just check out Craigslist, you'll find a few 600HP 90mph 21' boat's there I'm sure;)
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

bead
10-28-2007, 08:46 PM
with 667hp bbc (dne motor) worked jg berkley a/b imp. stuffer,loader,droop all the good stuff(mpd pump) gps@ 75 and its a heavy boat. still have another 150 nos i havnt even used yet. runs great in the ruff.

vee-driven
10-28-2007, 09:00 PM
You got that right, I'll be that 1 out of 10 running my cruiser next summer at the river and not to be beat by a water dyno. haha

BrendellaJet
10-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Sorry, I was talking jet boats, not V-drives. Although I trailered a v-drive cruiser last week in Parker...Bring it on anyways. Its all in fun for me.

vee-driven
10-28-2007, 09:33 PM
Sorry, I was talking jet boats, not V-drives. Although I trailered a v-drive cruiser last week in Parker...Bring it on anyways. Its all in fun for me.
That must have been one of those 9 out of 10 cruisers you mentioned earlier, oh...and it's already been broughten. hahahah

WishIknew
10-28-2007, 09:42 PM
V Drive ????? do ya really think they have boats in Okie land??????

WishIknew
10-28-2007, 09:45 PM
If Ya need a GPS i have one you can borrow just to stop the BS here:D :D :D

vee-driven
10-28-2007, 09:47 PM
V Drive ????? do ya really think they have boats in Okie land??????
Boats? I thought they were talkin about jets. haha

WishIknew
10-28-2007, 09:49 PM
Boats? I thought they were talkin about jets. haha
:) :) :)

jbone
10-29-2007, 04:16 AM
My 3500 lb 21 ft open bow does about 68 on gps with the ZZ502 and no mods.
It is a great family boat.
J

ck7684
10-29-2007, 05:25 AM
My friend has a CVX20 with a bone stock 460 and it does right about 55mph if that helps...

BrendellaJet
10-29-2007, 07:32 AM
That must have been one of those 9 out of 10 cruisers you mentioned earlier, oh...and it's already been broughten. hahahah
Wow, shit talk much? Why wait till next summer? lets go right now:D Let me guess, your boat isn't ready yet?

Nubbs
10-29-2007, 07:36 AM
I have a 94 Caliber 1 SKR 206 open bow. I can get low to mid 50's turning a stainless A impeller 4800-5000 rpm. I get that with full fuel (50 gallons), three batteries, too much stereo stuff, four people, and full gear (ice chests, anchor, canopy, etc), etc. My top speed is nothing to brag over, but it's a very heavy boat for a 21' hull. I wouldn't mind more top speed, but I rarely have the opportunity to make top speed runs anyways.
Nubbs

Xerophobic
10-29-2007, 07:51 AM
I'd expect "this" boat to easily do over 90 mph with your blower mill altho you would lose the padded rear deck obviously
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/DSCF4086r.JPG
We do make an open bow version as well.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3722GlenF2.JPG
Cheers

wright27
10-29-2007, 10:18 AM
So in building a fast cruiser, what are some of the better hauls to use with big horsepower to get the speed. I have a Advantage 20.5 classic, would it be worth putting some big power in that particular hull?

BrendellaJet
10-29-2007, 11:19 AM
So in building a fast cruiser, what are some of the better hauls to use with big horsepower to get the speed. I have a Advantage 20.5 classic, would it be worth putting some big power in that particular haul?
Honestly I dont think there is any hard data on that for jets. I haven't heard of any of them handling very poorly, so thats a good thing. My hull is probably one of the least known(Proboat) but in talking with the guys who built it I felt it would be worth a shot. So far I am not disappointed, it handles power very well.
I know the spectra's handle well, couple of guys running those with big power. I think any of the big name cruisers are fine. Differences would be top speed and chop handling. I wouldn' t be afraid to put big power in an advantage like yours. As long as it doesn't have any ill handling in the 60's, proceed into the 70's with caution. Its a quick transition though. First time on the water I brought it up to 5000 rpm on flat water, and slowly increased to full throttle. The only thing I noticed was that with the diverter up, there is a porpoise at mid throttle. I can trim it out or power through it. At full throttle I can adjust the full range of the diverter and there are no problems.

vee-driven
10-29-2007, 01:11 PM
Wow, shit talk much? Why wait till next summer? lets go right now:D Let me guess, your boat isn't ready yet?
Hahaha, i dont shit talk, i just like to correct false statements, and as for the boat, you got me, it isn't quite done yet, just trying to finish up the water jacketed tail pipes for the thru transom deal, i'm over bassetts, but i could bolt on a set to hand out a quick beat down.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/path5150/572001.jpg

85CARRIBEAN
10-29-2007, 01:16 PM
''I Reckon one of dem fast blue boats''...LOL.

BrendellaJet
10-29-2007, 04:59 PM
Hahaha, i dont shit talk, i just like to correct false statements, and as for the boat, you got me, it isn't quite done yet, just trying to finish up the water jacketed tail pipes for the thru transom deal, i'm over bassetts, but i could bolt on a set to hand out a quick beat down.
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o236/path5150/572001.jpg
LOL, chit you got me. I wouldn't even race that thing. Probably tuck my tail and walk. Like I said, 9 out of 10 jet cruzers.
Give me a few years. When I "upgrade" then we can race :)

vee-driven
10-29-2007, 05:08 PM
LOL, chit you got me. I wouldn't even race that thing. Probably tuck my tail and walk. Like I said, 9 out of 10 jet cruzers.
Give me a few years. When I "upgrade" then we can race :)
I'm just messin with you, i didn't see any mention of "jet" in cruisers when i posted earlier. You know how it goes ford vs chevy and jet vs v-drive it's all fun and games till someone throws down their beer and stomps off.

BrendellaJet
10-29-2007, 06:03 PM
I'm just messin with you, i didn't see any mention of "jet" in cruisers when i posted earlier. You know how it goes ford vs chevy and jet vs v-drive it's all fun and games till someone throws down their beer and stomps off.
I know you were(likewise)-its just the internet. Like a jet boater really thinks they have a chance against a V drive!:) I know jets can be fast, but for the most part( I know there are some haul ass jet boats out there) when Jets & V drives are "built", the jet boater knows a V drive boat with the same effort & similar dollars(Vdrives have a little more going on so I think they will cost more)is gonna be faster, not all the time, but for the most part I believe it to be true. Now if you want to race an 1/8th mile I might give you a run for your money, after that I concede to you;)
So, how much power that thing make? Exhaust is beautiful.

vee-driven
10-29-2007, 09:04 PM
Thanks, i just disected those tailpipes tonight and i need to get some 4" and 4.5" stainless mandrel U bends to angle them like a S bend for the thru transom deal, just trying to utilize the existing holes. As for v-drives and jets, v-drives are easy to get to go fast throw bigger gears in the drive and a prop with more pitch, that is if you have the HP, most of my friends own jets and yes i had a few before and they spend big bucks to get a few more MPH. As for the new motor, it's around 1400hp with the setup now and my 21 rayson craft is a fairly light layup.

Sleeper CP
10-29-2007, 09:12 PM
I know you were(likewise)-its just the internet. Like a jet boater really thinks they have a chance against a V drive!:) I know jets can be fast, but for the most part( I know there are some haul ass jet boats out there) when Jets & V drives are "built", the jet boater knows a V drive boat with the same effort & similar dollars(Vdrives have a little more going on so I think they will cost more)is gonna be faster, not all the time, but for the most part I believe it to be true. Now if you want to race an 1/8th mile I might give you a run for your money, after that I concede to you;)
So, how much power that thing make? Exhaust is beautiful.
I'm your Huckelberry;)
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

BrendellaJet
10-30-2007, 07:14 AM
I'm your Huckelberry;)
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover
Like I said, make it an 1/8th mile. After that the Vdrive will probably beat you up.

Sleeper CP
10-30-2007, 03:00 PM
Like I said, make it an 1/8th mile. After that the Vdrive will probably beat you up.
I would guess a 700-750HP V-Drive can out run a 900+ HP Jet in the 1/4 mile.:( But can it out run 935HP+250 nitrous shot:idea: That might be another story.:D
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

HPjunkie
10-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Wow I didnt get back here too soon I see. I guess if a stock 21-22 goes 55 or so how much speed could I expect with about 800 hp? 65,75,85 or what? I would like to keep my motor (its almost brand new) I have never owned a jet but have always been interested in them. I do a lot of river boating in the shallow water also. Are there "Good" pumps to have or ones to stay away from? Thanks for all of the replies.

BrendellaJet
10-30-2007, 04:48 PM
Wow I didnt get back here too soon I see. I guess if a stock 21-22 goes 55 or so how much speed could I expect with about 800 hp? 65,75,85 or what? I would like to keep my motor (its almost brand new) I have never owned a jet but have always been interested in them. I do a lot of river boating in the shallow water also. Are there "Good" pumps to have or ones to stay away from? Thanks for all of the replies.
You will be in the 75-85 range depending on the hull as long as there is nothing too terribly wrong with the boat or parts) One thing to consider is the powerband on your motor. For a Jet making 800 hp, you need to have that power in the 6k RPM range with a broad power curve up to that point. Anything else and you probably wont get to that 800 hp unless you trim the impeller way down which in turn will kill your holeshot. You want as big impeller as possible in the big boats.

Sleeper CP
10-30-2007, 05:41 PM
Anything else and you probably wont get to that 800 hp unless you trim the impeller way down which in turn will kill your holeshot. You want as big impeller as possible in the big boats.
Yeah, what he said.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

bp
10-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Anything else and you probably wont get to that 800 hp unless you trim the impeller way down which in turn will kill your holeshot.
bs

Sleeper CP
10-31-2007, 08:29 AM
bs
He may not have a MPD blue printed pump:(
But a typical "B" cut wont leave as hard as an "AA" will it,
particularly in a big heavy boat:confused:
Sleeper CP

bp
10-31-2007, 09:32 AM
But a typical "B" cut wont leave as hard as an "AA" will it,
particularly in a big heavy boat:confused:
Sleeper CP
not factual jon. a worn out pump will require more rpm to plane and cruise at lower speeds, no matter what size impeller it has. a fresh tight pump will provide a better hole shot and cruise rpm at lower speeds. go back to basics and think about it; why would you trim an AA or A to a B? if i change out my b to my c in my smaller heavy boat, i'm much quicker to the 1/8. does that indicate loss of holeshot???
the first indications of a worn or defective pump is a loss in acceleration, increased rpm at low speed, elevated rpm to maintain plane, a "mushiness" when opening/closing the bucket rather than immediate positive response. the last thing noticed would be a change in wot rpm. the reason you go from an aa to a b is to make use of increased power available at a higher rpm than a bone stocker. but if you want to cruise (hence the term, cruiser) at the lowest rpm possible, you would select the larger impeller. the idea that a b "kills the holeshot" is bs. a worn pump with excessive clearances and beat up impeller edges kills the holeshot.

Sleeper CP
10-31-2007, 11:23 AM
Hey BP,
I knew you would have a good answer, however isn't it easier to "blow out" the pump when it is smaller: Say a ski boat with an B cut vs an AA when pulling a skier up:confused:
I know you'll know the answer to this: A good 9.90 Jet boat typically would need how much HP vs a 9.90 V-drive HP? And what MPH for each. Is doesn't need to be spot on just for a general idea.:idea:
Thanks
Sleeper CP
Jon

bp
11-01-2007, 09:27 AM
Hey BP,
I knew you would have a good answer, however isn't it easier to "blow out" the pump when it is smaller: Say a ski boat with an B cut vs an AA when pulling a skier up:confused:
no. no disrespect, but please think about your question and what's actually taking place in each circumstance. in a typical lake/river boat/hotrod (not jacked up compression, race gas only, 900-1000hp raceboats pretending to be lake/river boats), a b impeller will absorb more hp at the hit than the aa, because the aa won't allow the engine to rise further into the power band. examples could be your boat, brett anderson's 19, bandy's hallet. and, you're not "blowing it out", you're "sucking it dry" by discharging more water from the pump than atmospheric pressure, at the speed you are going (0-15) can replace. now, if you put 5 300lb'ers back there, the problem is in gaining enough speed to refill the suction, and no matter which impeller you have, you can get to a point where the boat will simply not accelerate. but i've seen hopped up tournement boats that would just sit there and flash the prop with enough weight attached to the transom, which is a little different, but the same result; no traction.
if you're pump evacuates at the hit, there are tweaks you can do to minimize or prevent it. but to regress, in a lake/river cruiser, the objective is to be able to cruise as efficiently as possible, while still making some use of available power.
I know you'll know the answer to this: A good 9.90 Jet boat typically would need how much HP vs a 9.90 V-drive HP? And what MPH for each. Is doesn't need to be spot on just for a general idea.:idea:
Thanks
Sleeper CP
Jon
i really don't have an idea what hp a v-drive would need, and it's just as difficult to predict what hp a jet boat will need because there are so many variables. weight is a big factor, as is hull type, and of course, setup. if you know all the parameters to a certain jet, you can come up with an approximate prediction, but that won't necessarily be for every track and condition. i've really never paid that much attention to detail in hydros or flats, other than "that looks nice", or "there's a hydro or blown flat in the other lane". i'm sure the same types of parameters would have an effect on their performance. jetboatguru would probably be a better person to ask.

Sleeper CP
11-01-2007, 09:38 AM
BP,
As always thanks for the instructive information, you are much help.
As to the V-Drive question, maybe a V-driver can give us(me) a close answer.
Sleeper CP
Big Inch Ford Lover

FuelInMyVeins82
11-01-2007, 11:22 AM
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3722GlenF2.JPG
Cheers
Thats a whole lot of beer cans