PDA

View Full Version : warhawk tx-19 how fast before blow over?

jrod
03-02-2006, 03:04 AM
Just curious on my new warhawk on how fast I can go before I have to start being concerned about blowing over? The combination I have will run 90-95 mph, and I will boat in a river that can get a little choppy. I feel ok with that speed in calm water running down wind, but do you think that some choppy water and gust will lift it off at that speed or not? The motor is not set forward and the pump is in stock location, I have a droop snoot and diverter, full interior( It's a river ride).

Ken F
03-02-2006, 06:06 AM
Jrod,
The conditions you describe, choppy & gusty at that speed are a recipee for trouble. Hitting a roller on a gusty day running 90 would be plenty to cause a blow over.
What I do is try and select times of the day where the wind is not gusty.
steady is ok, but not gusty. I Definatly don't run wfo when the lake is choppy, or lots of other boats-things just happen too quick at that speed.
Think of what is happening. You are running 90, and have a good airpack under you. If you hit a roller, and raise your nose 6 or 8 inches, now you are a sail with quite a lot of surface. What's going to happen? Same with a gust.
it will raise your nose causing the same situation.
There is a time and place for everything. Use your discretion and you will be fine. There is no feeling like getting up on the airpack, you can feel your boat loosen up and it's like hitting the boost button! Ease into it a few times, and get the feel for it. It's a little un-nerving the first couple of times until you get the feel of it. Just take it easy, get the feel- you will become more confident as you grow familiar with your boat!
Have fun!
Ken F

HOSS
03-02-2006, 06:34 AM
I say hit the wood and se what happens. :cool:

Wet Dream
03-02-2006, 08:13 AM
Jrod, you're going to have to get a feel for the boat and its character. I'm going to bet that there isn't one jetter out there that tries to run WFO on a choppy lake. Racers call it off at any sign of wind, Rats boat and Hammers boat could probably hang in there the best, but even they're not crazy enough to run wide open on a choppy lake. I guess you really have to define choppy. Chances are, you wouldn't be able to keep the pump loaded to make a run like that. A slight ripple isn't indicative of a gusty or windy day, but maybe a light breeze. If you're seeing whitecaps out there and want to go 90...you might want to, but you'll probably stuff the nose first or just be bouncing off the rev limiter as the pump sucks more air. If you're on a nice calm lake, slight ripple, and you're hitting 90, nose is angled just right, air is packed under the hull and you get a 30mph gust out of nowhere right in your face, its like getting the boat to do 120. I'm sure there are a few mathematicians and scientists out there that can take all the info of boat length, weight distribution, speed angle...all the necessary input and tell you your blowover speed, but I'm willing to bet that Warhawk already knows this.

Aluminum Squirt
03-02-2006, 09:25 AM
At the risk of sounding ignorant, I thought it was pretty tough to blow over a jet boat unless you were running extremely high speeds because as soon as it began to lift the pump would unload? I guess I could see a strong gust of wind being able to blow one over, especially a tennel at high speeds. I'm certainly not advocating going out and running WFO on a rough/windy day, just a question from somebody that doesn't regularly travel much above 80MPH-Aluminum Squirt

mrgoslow
03-02-2006, 10:03 AM
I say hit the wood and se what happens. :cool:
thats what im talkin about! but that may be why a friend named my boat "to the wood"

SmokinLowriderSS
03-02-2006, 03:20 PM
At the risk of sounding ignorant, I thought it was pretty tough to blow over a jet boat unless you were running extremely high speeds because as soon as it began to lift the pump would unload? I guess I could see a strong gust of wind being able to blow one over, especially a tennel at high speeds. I'm certainly not advocating going out and running WFO on a rough/windy day, just a question from somebody that doesn't regularly travel much above 80MPH-Aluminum Squirt
Just my opinion, but I don't think it would be any harder to flip a jet than a prop under most conditions. Really rough conditions, yes as the speed may be hard to get in the first place. Under smooth conditions with a gusty wind, if the bow starts coming up too high, you are going over even before the pump unloads. The innertia of the hull will keep it making speed even as the pump blows clear and the wind gets ahold of the bottom, she'll flip in just a fraction of a seccond.
Basically, if the wind picks the bow up enough to cause the pump to unload, you are already part-way over and it's a done deal. All the weight is in the stern right where it'll hinge.

Wicked Performance Boats
03-02-2006, 03:50 PM
[ I feel ok with that speed in calm water running down wind, but do you think that some choppy water and gust will lift it off at that speed or not?] Blow over you bet! Running near 100mph in calm perfect conditions is an educated skilled manuver. Only experienced, practiced, drivers should attempt this manuver. Start about 10mph over what your used to and work your way up. You'll get the feel. Ps. If anybody blows by you while learning to handle the boat, Let them go, even though you want to mash the throttle. It's an urge you have to control till you're seasoned. Budlight

Slacker
03-02-2006, 04:21 PM
If it gets to bad just head to the creek....

jets4me
03-02-2006, 06:06 PM
i have a youngblood tx-19 and it is unforgiving hull i have had my close call already rough water keep it slow water was smooth and there was some boat waves i did not see i was running maybe 80 something nose up nose in the water 180 turn like rite now i can say i was scared flat water smooth and no wind hammer down

bp
03-02-2006, 06:43 PM
Just curious on my new warhawk on how fast I can go before I have to start being concerned about blowing over? The combination I have will run 90-95 mph, and I will boat in a river that can get a little choppy. I feel ok with that speed in calm water running down wind, but do you think that some choppy water and gust will lift it off at that speed or not? The motor is not set forward and the pump is in stock location, I have a droop snoot and diverter, full interior( It's a river ride).
if that's a lake layup warhawk, it's probably got some weight to it, and probably good balance, such that the dynamic c/g is going to be very positive well over 100. this would not be a 400-450 bare hull. unless you run yourself into some killer whale wake at 95, like running the boat up a mountain, chop isn't going to affect it much, and neither will breeze or gusts. however, you should get someone that knows the hull to check it out and watch you run at speed to verify attitude, and whether or not the boat tends to climb. climb is bad, a 40-50 mph gust from the head at 90 would be bad, but if you're running a safe attitude, in general chop your boat is going to run faster than in perfectly smooth water, and in 5-10 wind, it'll also pick up speed if it's set up properly.
i've seen enough blowovers in person; they aren't quick and they aren't slow. once a blowover starts, there is nothing you can do but get out. someone made a comment about props/flats. i've seen a pg flat blow over also, same, once they go they go; too much attitude at 145 got the dynamic c/g too negative. the only difference with them is where their balance is because of engine placement; they'll tend to chine and roll about, rather than a straight blowover. but jeff's just blew.
people tend to give us racers a hard time, that we only run in pussy perfect conditions, or we don't race. i hate to say this, but that's just not always the case. if anyone happened to notice marble falls last year, or san diego, or the phoenix opener, or any number of other venues where the breeze starts up, boats can be run in less than perfect conditions. there's certainly no -requirement- to do that, but it can be done relatively safely. and i say relatively, because your still going 90, and that's not slow.

Aluminum Squirt
03-03-2006, 12:00 AM
I've watched, hung out, and raced in a few white water races. I race in a slow class but I haven't heard of too many of the guys being concerned with a blow over. The fast boats are running between 100-120, maybe a touch over running down river. Wind is usually not a factor as the water we are on doesn't allow the wind to settle down and get going across the water. I'm curious if our set ups are different, maybe the CG is way different, or what other factors make us less suceptable to a blow over. Maybe I haven't been around enough races and blow overs do occur? Maybe its that our hulls are basically V hulls, even the tunnels are a modified tunnel design so there isn't the huge 'sail' effect that a traditional tunnel would have if it gets lifted slightly off the water. Maybe its the lack of acceleration. Not that our boats are slow, but we generally get up to running speed and maintain it. Obviously we slow down for rapids and corners but there isn't the acceleration you have in a drag boat. I will say that we do tackle some VERY rough water at pretty fast speeds and from what I've seen the blow overs are not common. At the 2004 world championships, there were boats 5-10' in the air over Shanghai bend, nobody went over backwards. Speeds were pretty low there but I'm guessing some of the guys went through there at 50-60 MPH and were accelerating. Any thoughts from anybody smarter than me?-Aluminum Squirt

Cs19
03-03-2006, 12:32 AM
Im not exactly sure why the white water stuff doesnt go over, but if they were gonna, they would have.The WW boats must not have anywhere near the aero lift our drag hulls have.
To the guy worried about blowing over, dont push you luck.Next time your going 80 or 90 down the highway roll the window down and put your hand out the window and think about the whole scenario.sometimes i tell myself I want to start getting after it and make my set up a litte more aggressive, then i do what i mentioned here and quickly change my mind.not worth it.
good luck and be safe.

Wicked Performance Boats
03-03-2006, 07:28 AM
Next time your going 80 or 90 down the highway roll the window down and put your hand out the window and think about the whole scenario! Gee Chris, I thought I was the only one to play windsurfer with my hand!! Budlight

Unchained
03-03-2006, 10:12 AM
I hope this discussion will help some folks reevaluate their goals and try to be more cautious.
Everyone talks about how fast they want to run (including me) but until you've been over 110 in a small boat in a short distance you can't know how fast things are going by and what a lack of anything could be done to remedy a bad situation.
At 120 mph you're covering about 176' / sec. by the time you get your foot off the gas carefully you've covered 200'.
I know a TE jetboat racer who made a real good show racing for years and ran over 140 , he came out of the boat a few times before he finally quit for good.
I'm glad he's still with us.
Every day I go out with my boat I get asked "How fast does it go" ?
People look at me funny when I say, "I don't know, I never topped it out"
But you know, If I had a Lambo in the driveway, I wouldn't feel the need to top that out either.

canuck1
03-03-2006, 10:24 AM
I hope this discussion will help some folks reevaluate their goals and try to be more cautious.
Everyone talks about how fast they want to run (including me) but until you've been over 110 in a small boat in a short distance you can't know how fast things are going by and what a lack of anything could be done to remedy a bad situation.
At 120 mph you're covering about 176' / sec. by the time you get your foot off the gas carefully you've covered 200'.
I know a TE jetboat racer who made a real good show racing for years and ran over 140 , he came out of the boat a few times before he finally quit for good.
But you know, If I had a Lambo in the driveway, I wouldn't feel the need to top that out either.
Pussy :)

Unchained
03-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Pussy :)
Thanks man, And what did you top out at ???

Taylorman
03-03-2006, 02:47 PM
"I don't know, I never topped it out"
So whats the fastest you've been in your boat?

canuck1
03-03-2006, 03:48 PM
Thanks man, And what did you top out at ???
Like you, I don't have any idea, and I don't really care either.

dragboat
03-03-2006, 04:24 PM
I've been there, I've had the s**t scared out of me going out the back. I was thankfull the safety boat was there even though I didn't need them. It happens fast at speed. It bounced twice before I could lift. I'm not sure what the top speed is past the 102 that day and I'm WAY OK with that. When I see the bmoc fly past the sand bar at top speed trying to impress I can't help but cringe, what if they loose it and hit a bystander. There's no safety crew around. The "No Fear" crowd dosen't have any experience. I learned the easy way, ok rant over just my $.02
Unchained, your my hero.

RICHARD TILL
03-03-2006, 05:20 PM
i`ve owned my youngblood tx19 since 1982. its a lake boat with a 468 chevy, lunati roller, 990 heads and two 750 holleys. its a very forgiving hull. only time i`ve been in trouble is when bud-man was helping me drive. use good judgement and you`ll be o.k. warhawk builds a good hull.

borderlinecrazy
03-03-2006, 05:52 PM
Picked up my new TX-20 Warhawk from Jim in Alabama in May 2004. Has a
Ron Sporl 502 BBC which is going back to him next week for tunnel, carbs and etc,. Jim told me that this boat would have to be going 120+ to have any chance of a blow over. With the setup in the boat, this should be physically impossible. The best performance (top speed) was in a slight chop, into the wind on a hot Texas day. I agree that a slight chop is better than smooth calm water for performance. Boat is extremely stable and smooth and that is why I went with this hull and motor setup. Love my Warhawk.
If you don't like the water, wind conditions..............stay on the bank.

bp
03-03-2006, 06:00 PM
most of the time, i run through the lights between 104-106, which -feels- pretty fast. kinda used to it now. there have been a few times i've run 108, and once 109+, and the boat felt like it was really fast, compared to the 104+.
not long ago, during qualifying, something happened, can't remember what, but i cruised through not at wot, one hand on the wheel, just relaxin. picked up the time slip, 92. i couldn't believe it, but data supported it. it was unbelievable how "comfy" the 90 ride felt, as if it was a nice easy 50, rather than 90.
i talked to my good friend that used to circle and marathon race a lot, 25-30 years ago, in a true comp jet, when that was big. he said they used to have the same sense, and recalled a guy that moved the closed record, at one time, from around 95 to 100 (95 was comfy). after the guy made the run, they asked him how it was. he said it was like sheer terror, and this was a veteran racer.
there's just a point when it's not comfy anymore, and it's time to step back. the few warhawks i've seen were pretty stout. cs, kinda like matt barney's deal...

Unchained
03-03-2006, 06:33 PM
So whats the fastest you've been in your boat?
I went 118 on the GPS in about 800' and no bs it was still pulling strong.
Here's the run, www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/mpvsrs1.MPG
Shut down was real steady. Maybe I'll feel braver this year.
I think more could be gained with some more pump setup work.
I think the advise someone gave to work your way up gradually was good.

clownpuncher
03-04-2006, 12:25 AM
I went 118 on the GPS in about 800' and no bs it was still pulling strong.
Here's the run, www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/mpvsrs1.MPG
Shut down was real steady. Maybe I'll feel braver this year.
I think more could be gained with some more pump setup work.
I think the advise someone gave to work your way up gradually was good.
Nice vid, thanks. BTW, what's that funny sound in the background :)

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
03-04-2006, 07:16 AM
Nice vid, thanks. BTW, what's that funny sound in the background :)
That my friend, is the sound off an eggbeater getting sawed of:D

Aluminum Squirt
03-04-2006, 09:45 AM
I wouldn't consider myself a big eggbeater fan, but considering that Unchained's boat is one of the baddest boats on the forum, I'm thinking the eggbeater didn't do too bad. Probably stout enough too handle quite a few of us. No worries, I'll take him in the white water :boxed: -Aluminum Squirt

stoker2001
03-04-2006, 10:15 PM
I wouldn't consider myself a big eggbeater fan, but considering that Unchained's boat is one of the baddest boats on the forum, I'm thinking the eggbeater didn't do too bad. Probably stout enough too handle quite a few of us. You got that right on both counts and to think the eggbeator (Rich Srnec) in video has no poweradder,granted it is one of the fastest non-nitrous whackers in the country :crossx: Unchained should chime in here,but i believe they raced a second time with Rich getting his ultra slow start and it took a full quarter mile for unchained to chase him down.

Unchained
03-05-2006, 04:39 AM
Stoker's right, We ran once from a dead stop and he put three boat lengths on me in 1 sec. He trimmed the motor way in and it came out of the hole like shot from a gun. The front of the hull never came up. It just shot straight ahead. I don't think any jet could ever have a hole shot like that from a dead stop. It took me 1/8 mi to catch up even.
Here's the run where we started from a dead stop,
http://www.childsdale-ind-prop.com/mpvsrs2.MPG
The camera man was right at the 1/8 mi point.
After seeing these videos last summer I started running more up nozzle.
He told me he has run 0 - 120 in a 1/4 mi. and that's pretty impressive from a dead stop with no nitrous. I don't think Rich is much of a nitrous fan.
Rich is a tough competitor and a real good guy. Rich and I and another OB racer are working together to set up local drags here in Mi.
The OB guys on S & F were really giving me the raspberrys last spring before I ran a few of them. Now we're good friends.

bp
03-05-2006, 07:49 AM
mark, you really need to practice your hole shots :cool: ... never, ever let a whacker get out on ya..

Cs19
03-05-2006, 08:03 AM
mark, you really need to practice your hole shots :cool:
the race track would be a great place to do that.

steelcomp
03-05-2006, 10:12 AM
Unchained:I don't think any jet could ever have a hole shot like that from a dead stop.
bp:mark, you really need to practice your hole shots.
ditto. Jerry Hicks may take issue with this comment. :D

stoker2001
03-05-2006, 12:10 PM
mark, you really need to practice your hole shots :cool: ... never, ever let a whacker get out on ya..Hey BP,you enjoying that new IHBA jacket and trophy :rollside: Mark and you know all to well how these little pisspots can leave when setup right.I think steelcomp needs to come play with us at the opener in Pheonix,what do you think?see you on the rope :)