PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust manifolds for my Hallet

Icarus prospector
10-29-2007, 10:39 AM
In the ongoing search for what's been working, can you give me any recommendations for a exhaust setup for my 75 Hallet 21' cruiser V drive. BBC and thru transom. I'm looking to get away from the old log style and I running it with a cover, so we're talking water cooled here.
Thanks in advance.

Weaverman
10-29-2007, 09:46 PM
Be sure to let me know when you find the secret. The problem is, as always, money. While the systems are not hard to find, they are too wide and too high to fit in your motorbox. This leads to a new interior with a "sundeck" type of engine cover, and a front-facing rear bench seat. Of course you'll need new connnecting tubes (also water-cooled; from the headers to the flex at the transom outlets) and outlets. Those outlets need to have mufflers, too, but you won't likey have room for those. You might get some to work if you choose a set that sticks way out past the transom. And they'll have to droop down since it's hard to get an outlet tube that can bend sharply enough to get you perpendicular to the transom. You'll have to get new valve covers with the relief or bevel towards the outside; you need these to clear the tubes. It'll cost you 4 - 5 grand plus the interior to do the job, depending on how nice a system you get.
And that's why it seldom gets done! I've attached a few pics of a Spectra 20 v-drive that has been modified the way we'd like ours to be. You can see the issues, but this would give you a much more contemporary look.

Icarus prospector
10-30-2007, 12:22 PM
Thanks, Weaverman. Yeah, I know about the price issues... I'm actually converting from the doghouse style box to a full sundeck, so the width of the headers isn't so much of an issue.
What about the cast aluminum jobs from a Mercruiser or the like? While you and I certainly like the look of the tube style from CMI and the like, I'm more concerned with the restrictions of a log style. Or am I just being too concerned about too little a thing?