PDA

View Full Version : powder coating

gmocnik
10-29-2007, 12:37 PM
there are several powder coated items on the boat that could use a winter "freshening up'. swim steps, gas fills, switch plates, etc.
Any recommendations on where to take these in so cal or is it cheaper to just buy new stuff from dana or eddie...
thanks

Nord
10-29-2007, 12:40 PM
I would buy the stuff new. I did all of the small parts (bezels, gas cap, stringer washers etc) about 2 years ago. After taking all of the stuff off, stripping, and all that, it was about the same price as replacing. My .02
~NORD~

uLtRADeNniS
10-29-2007, 01:44 PM
Call Dana or send them a pm. Their powder coating prices are pretty reasonable. I got some great prices about a year ago from them. It would be way more expensive to replace everything. Besides its winter...time for projects!

RiverDave
10-29-2007, 01:44 PM
I would buy the stuff new. I did all of the small parts (bezels, gas cap, stringer washers etc) about 2 years ago. After taking all of the stuff off, stripping, and all that, it was about the same price as replacing. My .02
~NORD~
For little parts like guage bezels that makes sense, but for larger parts like swim steps, it'd be way more cost effective to have them repowdercoated.
Gary, hit up the guys over at Dana. They might be willing to help you out?
If not, you can buy "Jasco" (or I still have a shitload of it if you need some) paint remover, it will literally soften powdercoat and make it wipe right off. If the surface is still polished underneath and not scratched your in good shape. After you get all of the Jasco off, goto the powdercoater of your choice, and if them recoated.
RD

gmocnik
10-29-2007, 02:23 PM
thanks for the responses..
rd...is the jasco stuff a home depot product or a automotive paint dealer product??
gm

HM
10-29-2007, 02:27 PM
Jasco is the shiat. Make sure you only get it on the parts you want to strip. Brush only in one direction as the methylene chloride is very volatile and can evaporate very fast leaving only some solvent and cellulosic thickener behind which just sits there and does nothing. You can clean up with water.
And yes, you can get it at Home Depot.

riverroyal
10-29-2007, 02:58 PM
north county powder coating in san marcos.Tell Lorie that Steve Royal is a havasu friend,she will take care of you...send me a message if you like

ToMannyToys
10-29-2007, 04:04 PM
I used Specialized coatings in H.B. They do great work with a fast turn around. I had them do everything from my sandrail frame to bezels and misc. plates for my rhino.

tiki god
10-29-2007, 06:13 PM
give embee performance a call - they are boat people and will take care of you. 714-546-6907 / santa ana