PDA

View Full Version : Dodger Fans...

GAME TIME
10-29-2007, 09:48 PM
just heard Joe Torre is coming to LA!!! Hmmmm, maybe A-Rod too?????

HavasuSelect
10-29-2007, 10:22 PM
What a great move. I especially like how the signed him early. Hopefully this will entice big time free agents to the LA Market.
It's been a long time since we've had a solid manager. Rumor has it Mattingly will be coming with Torre. Hopefully Mariano Rivera and others....
As far as Rodriguez..... I don't really see the McCourts dropping that coin on him. But hey, anythings possible....

Ivan Dan
10-29-2007, 11:40 PM
What a great move. I especially like how the signed him early. Hopefully this will entice big time free agents to the LA Market.
It's been a long time since we've had a solid manager. Rumor has it Mattingly will be coming with Torre. Hopefully Mariano Rivera and others....
As far as Rodriguez..... I don't really see the McCourts dropping that coin on him. But hey, anythings possible....
Did the Steinbreners announce that Girardi got the job? ESPN radio keeps saying they think Mattingly is gonna get it.

Ivan Dan
10-29-2007, 11:44 PM
For a kid who grew up in Brooklyn, maybe it's a perfect fit.
Multiple media reports late Monday night said that former New York Yankees manager Joe Torre could replace Grady Little as manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers.
Sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney that the Dodgers are expected to fire Little.
Sources close to the situation told Olney on Monday afternoon that the Dodgers had maintained contact with Joe Girardi in the hope that his negotiations with the Yankees would fall apart and they could try to hire him.
Girardi was reportedly Plan A for the Dodgers, while Torre was Plan B. With Girardi's discussions with the Yankees moving ahead into Monday night, the Dodgers may have also changed course.
The Journal News of Westchester County (N.Y.) reported on Monday night that the Dodgers have decided to fire Little and hire Torre. Other New York and Los Angeles papers reported that such a scenario is likely.
If Torre is hired, his bench coach in New York, Don Mattingly, would likely move with him to Los Angeles as a coach -- joining the organization that drafted his son, Preston, in 2006.
Torre appeared on the "Late Show with David Letterman" on Monday night and was asked about his job prospects.
"Maybe Dodgers, maybe Angels?" Letterman asked.
"Well, the Dodgers have a contract, I mean, a manager," Torre replied. "The Angels have a very good manager [Mike Scioscia]."
Torre went on to say: "That's a bad question to ask. I know what's been rumored. The local paper today is talking about going to LA. There has been a time or two that something that has been in the newspaper hasn't been true."
Little has one year remaining on his contract with a club option for a second year.
The Dodgers, from team owner Frank McCourt on down, declined comment late Monday.
The 67-year-old Torre managed the Yankees to 12 playoff appearances in as many seasons before turning down a one-year, $5 million offer for next season, with an additional $3 million in incentives, earlier this month.
Torre, who completed a three-year, $19.2 million contract this year, ranks eighth on baseball's all-time list with 2,067 victories and has won a record 76 postseason games.
Little, the Dodgers' skipper the past two seasons, managed the Boston Red Sox in 2002-03 before being fired despite two playoff appearances.
The Dodgers had baseball's best record in July but faded down the stretch to finish with an 82-80 record, good for fourth place in the NL West.
Clubhouse unrest surfaced between veterans and young players during the season's final two weeks, when the Dodgers lost seven straight games to the Colorado Rockies while falling out of contention.

Not So Fast
10-30-2007, 12:40 AM
Girardi and Steinbrenner, well that oughta be fun;) NSF

snake321
10-30-2007, 04:43 AM
Torre is a NL guy. Donnie baseball got pissed when Big Steinn offered the big job to Joe G first and teamed up with Torre. Donnie never coached before and it was the right move. As far as Arod, he could go anywhere. Scott Boras is checkin to see who has the biggest bank account as we speak. I'm a Yankee fan and I don't care if he goes. He had 1 killer year which got us nowhere.

snake321
10-30-2007, 05:55 AM
Arod had 1 killer year. Last year he was getting booed. Arod's big show didn't get to town until this year.

snake321
10-30-2007, 06:34 AM
For the Yankees, he only won in 05 and probably this year. For the Superstar he is touted as, he should win it every year.

Ivan Dan
10-30-2007, 10:38 AM
OK, one big year. 3 AL MVPs, probably should have won 5. Youngest player in ML history to every HR milestone so far.
Snake is right....he's a bum....no one wants him! Hang on while I get Stoneman and Moreno on the phone so they can offer him a league minimum contract. :D

Havasu1986
10-30-2007, 10:52 AM
Snake is right....he's a bum....no one wants him! Hang on while I get Stoneman and Moreno on the phone so they can offer him a league minimum contract. :D
Stoneman retired. You need to talk to Reagins now. :D

snake321
10-30-2007, 12:43 PM
Paying all that money for Arod gets you nowhere. Post season pitchers shut him down after he bullied the crappy pitchers all year. Spend that money on 2 good players.

Trailer Park Casanova
10-30-2007, 12:50 PM
The Steinbrenner sons don't want a manager that gets more recognition than they do.
They think the Yankees are all about them.
Torre was a BIG presence on the team.
Cowboys owner is the same way. Can't be eclipsed by a coach no matter how good they are.

HavasuSelect
10-30-2007, 12:59 PM
Paying all that money for Arod gets you nowhere. Post season pitchers shut him down after he bullied the crappy pitchers all year. Spend that money on 2 good players.
The Yanks prob wouldn't have made it to the post season without him.....