PDA

View Full Version : Too Many Trailer Tire Issues

Patyacht
10-30-2007, 06:15 AM
My trip to Havasu has become a trip to hell. Left the 26th heading south and lost tread off of 1 tire just north of Shasta. http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/PICT1566_Small_.JPG
Notice the tire still has air. But look closer at the damage:
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/PICT1573_Small_.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/PICT1575_Small_.JPG
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/PICT1576_Small_.JPG

Patyacht
10-30-2007, 06:19 AM
So Les Schwab got me up and running in Redding by installing my spare and even straightend the damage. The best part they would not even take a nickle. They said "Have a nice Day". Awesome folks..... After tons of calls I located another tire in Elk Grove, CA. Since it wasn't avaiable until Monday, we boated the Delta and had a great time. Story continues....

Havasu Hangin'
10-30-2007, 06:22 AM
Put some 10-ply trailer tires on there, and I'll bet you $1 you'll never have another problem.

Patyacht
10-30-2007, 06:24 AM
Now I'm stuck in Bakersfield after losing my 2nd tire yesterday afternoon. The trailer is an Extreme 1 year old and the tires are Carlisle Ultra Sports SST/R 235x60R15. They are extremely hard to find. So the questions are: who does good trailer repair in Havasu? (If I ever get there) and has anyone else had this issue with Carlisle tires?

Havasu Hangin'
10-30-2007, 06:32 AM
Now I'm stuck in Bakersfield after losing my 2nd tire yesterday afternoon. The trailer is an Extreme 1 year old and the tires are Carlisle Ultra Sports SST/R 235x60R15. They are extremely hard to find. So the questions are: who does good trailer repair in Havasu? (If I ever get there) and has anyone else had this issue with Carlisle tires?
Yes. My Carlisles came apart off my old Extreme (and took out the brakes)- only 300 miles on them. If it were me, I'd buy 7 Towmasters as fast as they could put them on.
I heard Extreme may be warrantying those Carlises somewhat, so you may want to call them this morning.

Patyacht
10-30-2007, 06:33 AM
HH you're fast.
So what 10 ply's do you recommend? I've got a claim open with Carlisle right now. Maybe I can get them to change them all to 10 ply. Wonder why Extreme doesn't use them if that is what is needed.

Tom Brown
10-30-2007, 06:35 AM
The problem is too few axles. Put a few more axles on there and you'll be good to go.

HalletDave
What is the recommended "cold" maximum air pressure for those tires?
:idea:
And are you inflating all the tires to that recommended pressure?
Not trying to stir, just curious.:)

scarabrick2
You can put on some goodyear green ball marathons.
Discount tire has tehm along with others.
My bro and I had tire troubles lately. KEEP the air pressure up and don't go over 70. We had new carlisle blow up and a few only had < 100 miles on them.
Saw a post once where a guy had bfg's on the trailer and it was a 400 k boat. He never had a problem as they were more PLY'S than the crappy carlisle/goodyears
Hope it works out for you....

AZJD
10-30-2007, 06:36 AM
I have been buying the towmasters aswell. My Carlisles shred after 500 miles it seems.
Haven't had a towmaster go yet.

Patyacht
10-30-2007, 06:37 AM
What is the recommended "cold" maximum air pressure for those tires?
:idea:
And are you inflating all the tires to that recommended pressure?
Not trying to stir, just curious.:)
65PSI and yes I check them every morning.

Havasu Hangin'
10-30-2007, 06:38 AM
HH you're fast.
So what 10 ply's do you recommend? I've got a claim open with Carlisle right now. Maybe I can get them to change them all to 10 ply. Wonder why Extreme doesn't use them if that is what is needed.
I believe Extreme buys those rims and tires as a package in bulk? When I ordered my trailer, they only gave me two choices (both radials).
I am VERY hard on tires (triple axle with 4,500lbs/axle), and the Greenball Towmaster 10 plys have not let me down. they are bias-ply, and require 80lbs of pressure, so the ride is not great, but I don't ride back there...lol.

Patyacht
10-30-2007, 06:42 AM
Who sells the towmasters?

Havasu Hangin'
10-30-2007, 06:51 AM
I got mine from Discount Tire- I think they were around $90/tire?
America's Tire- Bakersfield (661) 832-0000
America's Tire- Bakersfield (661) 587-9770

pvhca
10-30-2007, 06:59 AM
I don't believe they make a ten ply 15" tire, let alone an 8 ply, but I may be wrong. Les Swab and ATC are great stores so go off their recommendations, I agree stay away from Carlisle, nothing but horror stories, sounds like another Firestone situation. Also check your valve stems on a regular basis them crack apart as well, your one tire that seperated looks almost like a retread, just my 2 cents

BadKachina
10-30-2007, 07:04 AM
Big-O sells them too.
I run 50lbs in them and have had really good luck with them. My Goodyear Marathons used to come apart every other trip.

RVRBUM2
10-30-2007, 07:08 AM
Carlisle Suck Ass
Go With The Goodyear Marithons

Patyacht
10-30-2007, 07:11 AM
your one tire that seperated looks almost like a retread, just my 2 cents
Yea it does look like a retread. But it isn't. The 2nd tire I lost started to do the same thing but it went flat before the tread came off. Notice on the 1st tire, it didn't loose pressure. When I got my replacement tire in Elk grove I had all the tires checked and they were ok.

Mrs.Racer277
10-30-2007, 07:12 AM
Bakersfield is not so bad. :)
I have known many people with problems with those tires.:(
Anything we can do to help????

Havasu_Dreamin
10-30-2007, 07:13 AM
Have had two Extreme trailers with the Carlisles and never had a problem with them. Go figure...Guess when we replace the current set of Carlisles we'll get a better tire...
Pat, I have Discount Tire in LHC do tire work for me before and I've always been ahppy with the work. In fact they changed one of the tires on the trailer for free once and just rotated the tires on my suburban 3 weeks ago for free...

Not So Fast
10-30-2007, 07:18 AM
Trailer repair>>>> Enduro Trailer...2721 N. Kiowa...928-855-7888 just above Avalon across from the drive in deli and gas station, Gary Nickerson. :) NSF

yopengo
10-30-2007, 07:18 AM
I got mine from Discount Tire- I think they were around $90/tire?
America's Tire- Bakersfield (661) 832-0000
America's Tire- Bakersfield (661) 587-9770
I just picked up four new towmasters at Discount / America's Tire in Havasu on Friday. Good service and price.

2Driver
10-30-2007, 07:36 AM
I've lost both Carlisle and almost new Goodyear Marathons. Both sets of Greenballs Towmasters (different boats) have been great. Made in China BTW.
I assume you are going with a radial. If so get the Greenball Towmaster V (5). The tire guys didnt know about them and I had to push them to get them. THey acted like I didnt know what I was talking about at first.
From what I learned the glue that holds the tread is getting too hot and separating it from the core. I was told never to go over 65 MPH with any trailer tire. Sitting for extended periods of time I understand is not good either.
So far so good with the greenball towmaster V. You may want to explore going with a bias towmaster. I understand bias tires don’t have as many separating issues as radials but they do have other towing characteristics. Check into it. I have run towmaster bias as well. But I am just as smart as the last guy I talkd to on this ;)

catman-do
10-30-2007, 07:57 AM
My boat trailer doesnt have Carlise, but my old toyhauler did and I had those blow twice. Carlise sent out a new tire and rim, however the damage to the trailer was still a couple hundred to fix. I bought goodyear and never had another problem.

4day!!
10-30-2007, 08:01 AM
Stay away from the Goodyear Marathons, i lost 4 of them in 3 consecutive trips. they were only 2 years old and boat only gets towed from Needles to Havi. Less than 800 miles on them total. Many people have bad experiences with the Goodyear Marathons on here. I went with the Greenball towmaster. Go to Discount Tire in Havi. they even gave me a manufacturers credit on my marathons.

OGShocker
10-30-2007, 08:08 AM
Anything we can do to help????
Maybe a quick run over to Nordy's!

Patyacht
10-30-2007, 08:15 AM
Having a tire shipped to Discount in Havi now. Nothing in Bakersfield and earliest arrival is next day air so I guess I'll take it easy and head out to Havi with no spare. :jawdrop: :(

mbrown2
10-30-2007, 08:16 AM
Now I'm stuck in Bakersfield
I think that is a newer Social Distortion song...j/k
sorry to hear about your tire troubles....towing sux.

Patyacht
10-30-2007, 08:22 AM
Thanks Mrs.Racer277 for the offer to help. I'll see if I can limp into Havi.
Thanks HH for the tell numbers. They didn't even have the tire in their computer let alone their store.
Well, I guess I'll work with Discount in Havi to figure out the best route. Don't know if towmaster comes in the right size for my rims, so could be an added expense there....:mad: :sqeyes: Boating is fun, it's the getting there and home that sucks....

Patyacht
10-30-2007, 08:32 AM
Trailer repair>>>> Enduro Trailer...2721 N. Kiowa...928-855-7888 just above Avalon across from the drive in deli and gas station, Gary Nickerson. :) NSF
Thanks. I think I've used Gary before for an oil bath leak/seep issue but not sure he can do paint and bent metal repair. Plus didn't he have some sort of heart issue??

phebus
10-30-2007, 08:35 AM
I'd make sure I had a ratchet strap in case you have to strap up an axle.

Mrs.Racer277
10-30-2007, 08:43 AM
Having a tire shipped to Discount in Havi now. Nothing in Bakersfield and earliest arrival is next day air so I guess I'll take it easy and head out to Havi with no spare. :jawdrop: :(
Best of luck to you. Our spare is in Havi or I would offer it to you. :(
Try San Joaquin Tire- Ask for Paul
661-861-8430

Patyacht
10-30-2007, 08:45 AM
I'd make sure I had a ratchet strap in case you have to strap up an axle.
Thanks Rick. Maybe I'll be there for
Taco Tuesday. :)

Mrs.Racer277
10-30-2007, 08:50 AM
Maybe a quick run over to Nordy's!
LOL Ok buy me something pretty :D

AirtimeLavey
10-30-2007, 08:54 AM
Bummer about the tires creating havoc on your your trip. Maxxis tires are great. Switched to them a couple years ago, and have had no problems. We tow everywhere we go, everytime. Had nightmare w/Carlisles. Never again. Good luck if you go w/o a spare - I never will. At least it's not the heat of the middle of summer.

djunkie
10-30-2007, 08:59 AM
The problem is too few axles. Put a few more axles on there and you'll be good to go.
For sure. I have 3 on my trailer for a 23' boat. Anything bigger and I'd go at least 4. ;) :D :D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42197&stc=1&d=1193763535

phebus
10-30-2007, 08:59 AM
Pat, if you get stranded, and need help, call me. We'll get you here one way or another. I'll PM you my number.

ColeTR2
10-30-2007, 09:26 AM
Put some 10-ply trailer tires on there, and I'll bet you $1 you'll never have another problem.
yep!

Magic34
10-30-2007, 09:36 AM
You need to go to a 16" wheel and your options for a stronger tire seem endless. See if a 16" and tire will fit under your fender. Problem will be solved. If you cant go 16" run towmasters.
For trailer repair, call Mohave Hitch and Welding. 928-855-2085 ask for Dennis. Tell him what you need and if he cant fix it, he will know where to go. They took great care of me in time of need.
Call Dennis today or tomorrow though. He is heading to SEMA at the end of the week.

Sotally Tober
10-30-2007, 10:31 AM
Another vote for the Greenball towmaster V. 10 ply load range E 80 psi. Bought 8 (2 spares)for my trailer last year after 4 original Nankings shreded. I bought them from Discount in Spokane. They did have to order them in for me though.
Luckily I did not have any damage though.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3284Tire_001.jpg

Ziggy
10-30-2007, 12:18 PM
Another vote for the Greenball towmaster V. 10 ply load range E 80 psi. Bought 8 (2 spares)for my trailer last year after 4 original Nankings shreded. I bought them from Discount in Spokane. They did have to order them in for me though.
Luckily I did not have any damage though.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/3284Tire_001.jpg
:idea: I used to run the NanKang tires with great luck on my old trailer. The newer trailer has carlilses. Luckily I don't tow it far anyhow but if I were planning a long trip it sounds like the Greenball route is best.
Hope you make it there safe and sound...have fun at the lake

jeepinscott
10-30-2007, 12:26 PM
I use the Maxxis load range E trailer tires on my fifth wheel that is always overloaded and driving too fast. Never a blown tire.

Magic34
10-30-2007, 01:26 PM
Quit playing with the kiddie tires. I'm rolling 18 ply on some sick rims.
When I say sick, I mean it as they make your stomach turn to look at. :D
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42210&stc=1&d=1193779540

Not So Fast
10-30-2007, 02:05 PM
Thanks. I think I've used Gary before for an oil bath leak/seep issue but not sure he can do paint and bent metal repair. Plus didn't he have some sort of heart issue??
Gary is doing fine, just talked to him last week. He did a thing called "kelation therapy" (Sp?) and he says hes feeling better than ever?? He is in the new shop now. As far as paint and tin work I dont know, probably not tops in that field if you are looking at fine work. NSF

rrrr
10-30-2007, 02:20 PM
Quit playing with the kiddie tires. I'm rolling 18 ply on some sick rims.
When I say sick, I mean it as they make your stomach turn to look at. :D
LOL!!!!
Just curious for those with triple axle trailers........are you careful about sharp turns? I know with my tandem trailers I'm careful about that because it looks like a tire could be damaged pretty easily.

Magic34
10-30-2007, 02:34 PM
LOL!!!!
Just curious for those with triple axle trailers........are you careful about sharp turns? I know with my tandem trailers I'm careful about that because it looks like a tire could be damaged pretty easily.
These tires are damn stout. I like to think I am good with a trailer so they dont get abused, but I did drag one across the entire London Bridge about 3 weeks ago. It is a little scuffed up, but all is good. That tire went to the spare. :)
Every trailer tire (with multiple axles) is going to drag at some point but all tires skid at some point anyways also.

Patyacht
10-31-2007, 11:51 AM
Made it to Havi yesterday evening. No further issues. Gary at Eudure was super as usual and already has an estimate for repair done. He definately has recovered. Trailer's at Discount having all tires inspected and 1 more replaced which is 1 day late arriving. Looking at maybe switching to the Towmasters 225x75x15 10ply rated and they are checking the fender clearance etc. Thanks to all for your input and help.

Havasu Hangin'
10-31-2007, 11:53 AM
Made it to Havi yesterday evening. No further issues. Gary at Eudure was super as usual and already has an estimate for repair done. He definately has recovered. Trailer's at Discount having all tires inspected and 1 more replaced which is 1 day late arriving. Looking at maybe switching to the Towmasters 225x75x15 10ply rated and they are checking the fender clearance etc. Thanks to all for your input and help.
I'm glad you made it, partner. Now you can start putting that drive behind you (literally) and focus on having some fun.