PDA

View Full Version : Building our Own Pool

rollin24/7
10-30-2007, 08:29 AM
I noticed that there was a thread on this back in March of this year. The wife and I are starting to build our own pool and wanted to get a little info from anyone that has done it....pics, price and savings of doing it yourself rather than hiring a pool company. Lastly, we live in Murrieta so I was wondering if anyone knew of any subs in the Temecula/Murrieta area that are reputable and good. Any help would be great...thanks!

boatnam2
10-30-2007, 09:25 AM
pm sent

TOBTEK
10-30-2007, 09:32 AM
you MAY want to use Chris Rozmus "ROZ" form here on the boards. This is what his company now does. Consults with home owners and arranges the subs for you. I had a local company build our pool last year, and I WISH that i would have hires Roz to do it with me! I'll shoot you a PM with Chris's contact info. Toby

Ms.Havasu
10-30-2007, 10:14 AM
you MAY want to use Chris Rozmus "ROZ" form here on the boards. This is what his company now does. Consults with home owners and arranges the subs for you. I had a local company build our pool last year, and I WISH that i would have hires Roz to do it with me! I'll shoot you a PM with Chris's contact info. Toby
Does he work in Havasu?

boatnam2
10-30-2007, 10:23 AM
I had riverlivers brother precision pools build our great job would reccomend him for sure, but i would do it myself next time after seeing what my buddy got done for the same price.

TOBTEK
10-30-2007, 10:29 AM
Does he work in Havasu?
????? dont know, I'll call him and have him try to post on this thread... im sure he's out in the field right now though. I heard he was doing a few pools way up in the high desert, which is a haul from his house...so its a strong MAYBE :D

duffster
10-30-2007, 10:50 AM
I noticed that there was a thread on this back in March of this year. The wife and I are starting to build our own pool and wanted to get a little info from anyone that has done it....pics, price and savings of doing it yourself rather than hiring a pool company. Lastly, we live in Murrieta so I was wondering if anyone knew of any subs in the Temecula/Murrieta area that are reputable and good. Any help would be great...thanks!
We did one last summer saved about 10-18k and very easy.
Call Ted Metzger at 951/756-3780 he dose owner builder pools in
Murrieta. Yes Mike Metzger’s the free style motocross riders dad.
Ours was done in 4-weeks no hassle and was able get the subs
out quick.
My wife was basically the contractor dealing with the city buying the tile rock
ect.

BrianB
10-30-2007, 01:38 PM
He built one for my inlaws a few years back.
And it did go suprisingly smooooth.Straight up,no issues.

Waist Deep
10-30-2007, 02:00 PM
We did one last summer saved about 10-18k and very easy.
Call Ted Metzger at 951/756-3780 he dose owner builder pools in
Murrieta. Yes Mike Metzger’s the free style motocross riders dad.
Ours was done in 4-weeks no hassle and was able get the subs
out quick.
My wife was basically the contractor dealing with the city buying the tile rock
ect.
When U say you saved $, did you do anything yourself or just deal with the subs direct.
I'd love to do my own and just try to hire out the plumbing,shotcrete and plaster. Digging can't be too difficult. Rebar is simple and so is the concrete.
Bottom line, about how much do you think you could do a simple lap pool for

duffster
10-30-2007, 02:40 PM
When U say you saved $, did you do anything yourself or just deal with the subs direct.
I'd love to do my own and just try to hire out the plumbing,shotcrete and plaster. Digging can't be too difficult. Rebar is simple and so is the concrete.
Bottom line, about how much do you think you could do a simple lap pool for
I did a lot of little things and tons of cleanup broken sprinklers buying and picking up tile rock placing the rock dealing with the city inspectors for sign off.
If you decide to go totally on your own I hear it is really tuff getting the pool trades like gunite guys and plaster guys and most of the time they are three months
out and only want to do business with the big pool companies jokers.
Here is mine done last summer saltwater with a gas fire pit 32k
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/IMGP2657.JPG

AQUA-HOLICS
10-30-2007, 08:39 PM
21dana, owner builders are trying to save the 30% mark up in the pool construction business. the excavation of the pool is critical to the rest of the job going right, if the elevation is wrong durring lay out, the pool is in big trouble! all the other trades will follow the lay out set by the excavator and a few inches can make a big diffrence in the fall of the deck. steel may look easy but first you must know how to read a steel engineering plan to know what size steel (3/8, 1/2, 5/8) and on what size grid it is to be layed out in . (12x12, 6x6). most of my owner builder customers if they choose to will do the flat work (concrete) soft scape and some electrical and tile.remember with out the right information you cant make the right choices!

duffster
10-31-2007, 08:46 AM
That’s why we used Ted Metzger he basically is their all the time through all of the phases making sure it gets done right with no BS-fluff. You save money doing all the running around picking up material the stuff that he hates to do. Plus it seems that he has some very good pull with getting the local subs out quick.

boatnam2
10-31-2007, 09:02 AM
I think there was maybe 7-8 days total involved in building our pool,about 3-4weeks fucccking with the city over bulllshit, 3 weeks for us to decide on tile. most builder's stay away from norco I know our builder is done there.If you have someone to line of good subs it is a slam dunk they came did there thing no one watching them but me sometimes and leave.

Hardly Satisfied
10-31-2007, 12:59 PM
I did a lot of little things and tons of cleanup broken sprinklers buying and picking up tile rock placing the rock dealing with the city inspectors for sign off.
If you decide to go totally on your own I hear it is really tuff getting the pool trades like gunite guys and plaster guys and most of the time they are three months
out and only want to do business with the big pool companies jokers.
Here is mine done last summer saltwater with a gas fire pit 32k
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/IMGP2657.JPG
Very good price, Pool looks Sweet

duffster
10-31-2007, 01:02 PM
Very good price, Pool looks Sweet
Thanks sometimes it saves a lot of gas money during the summer months.

HM
12-03-2007, 02:45 PM
Nice pool. I was just looking for someone to help me with my drainage and grading (not pool related) and was told to check out this thread to get Ted Metzger's #. He only lives a mile or so from me. Duffster...that was a great price and it looks great. My sister in law just had a pool installed in anaheim, about 2/3's the size of yours and she spent $80K..and yours looks better!!!

topless
12-03-2007, 03:05 PM
I was just looking for someone to help me with my drainage (not pool related)
You might need a doctor.:idea:

duffster
12-03-2007, 03:11 PM
Nice pool. I was just looking for someone to help me with my drainage and grading (not pool related) and was told to check out this thread to get Ted Metzger's #. He only lives a mile or so from me. Duffster...that was a great price and it looks great. My sister in law just had a pool installed in anaheim, about 2/3's the size of yours and she spent $80K..and yours looks better!!!
Thanks man he might be able to help you out with your drainage and grading or know someone give him a call.

BoatFloating
12-03-2007, 04:15 PM
I had Phoenix Pools in Temecula do our pool and the price was right. I didn't have the time or patience to deal with the city and county. Alex at Phoenix was awesome and would use them again.
http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/520/372IMG_0116_Medium_.JPG

SandbarScot
12-03-2007, 09:09 PM
I had my last 2 pools built by a builder, but could probably do it on my own now. What trades are you looking for subs? I'm in Murrieta. PM me.