PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Keyboard Keys

Wet Dream
10-30-2007, 12:35 PM
I have a Compac Presario laptop and my letter "O" key is slow. There appears to be something sticky under it that keeps it from moving the way it should, and of course making me look like an idiot when only 50% of the 'o's show up and doesn't get corrected. So, how do I clean this thing? I tried to pop the key, but it seems to only bend and not pop out. Should I keep trying to get it to come out or will it break? I don't want to vacuum them, that story is still a classic. ;)

Ziggy
10-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Hooligan has the best method...PM him for the proper vacume purchased.
:D

yopengo
10-30-2007, 12:38 PM
Hooligan has the best method...PM him.
Beat me to it. :D Yes, Hooli is THE expert.

riverbound
10-30-2007, 12:42 PM
does anyone else find it funny that his oooooooooooo key has something sticky on it :idea:

Caljamr
10-30-2007, 01:14 PM
does anyone else find it funny that his oooooooooooo key has something sticky on it :idea:
ooooooooooooo your right. You gots some splainin' to do!!!

Wet Dream
10-30-2007, 01:17 PM
I wish I had a better answer, but I'm sure its a soda...or something.

photo chick
10-30-2007, 01:38 PM
they sell a little vac/blower made for keybooooards but I'm nooooot sure if that'll help oooon soooda.. :D

Debbolas
10-30-2007, 01:50 PM
What he said :D

pw_Tony
10-30-2007, 01:53 PM
Use Dust Off Found at any Best buy or office depot...
but only use it for the keyboard ok? :D :D :D

BajaMike
10-30-2007, 10:40 PM
I have a Compac Presario laptop and my letter "O" key is slow. There appears to be something sticky under it that keeps it from moving the way it should, and of course making me look like an idiot when only 50% of the 'o's show up and doesn't get corrected. So, how do I clean this thing? I tried to pop the key, but it seems to only bend and not pop out. Should I keep trying to get it to come out or will it break? I don't want to vacuum them, that story is still a classic. ;)
Try running it through the dishwasher..............:D
j/k
:idea:

delemorte
10-31-2007, 06:18 PM
I am a IT guy and i kid you not on this fix.
As long as there are no LCD's on the keyboard unplug it and run it thru the dishwasher with a cap full of bleach (if its white) and normal dish detergent.
Let it dry for a couple of days and it should work like new.
I have done this to numerous keyboards and not lost one yet but do this at your own risk. PM me if you have any questions.

delemorte
10-31-2007, 06:18 PM
As long as there are no LCD's on the keyboard unplug it and run it thru the dishwasher with a cap full of bleach (if its white) and normal dish detergent.
I have done this to numerous keyboards and not lost one yet but do this at your own risk. PM me if you have any questions.

JB in so cal
10-31-2007, 06:23 PM
Note: when pounding the pony or beating the meat, remember to aim way left or way right for a landing zone:jawdrop:

AZJD
10-31-2007, 07:01 PM
LMAO!:D

Rexone
10-31-2007, 07:15 PM
They make a special electronic cleaner spray that self drys.
Or just throw it in the dishwasher as suggested. :)

Wet Dream
10-31-2007, 07:26 PM
Thats all good and fine for a regular keyboard, and I've done it, but I don't think a LAPTOP is going to survive the dishwasher. :D

BlueNun
10-31-2007, 08:35 PM
Gumout or brake cleaner evaporates pretty fast...
I can pop out my keys real carefully use rubbing alcohol or q tip and pop it back in on my Toshiba laptop

delemorte
11-01-2007, 10:57 AM
I just re-read the OP. did not realize it was a laptop. If you spilled something sticky in there I would pull the keyboard out of the laptop and try to clean that way. suxs man.. keep the pepsi away from your electonics.

HalletDave
11-01-2007, 11:09 AM
Gumout or brake cleaner evaporates pretty fast...
I would be hesitant to use Gumout or brake cleaner.
Those products will etch some plastics.
:idea:
Use electronic tuner cleaner. I'm pretty sure Radio Shack sells it.;) :)