PDA

View Full Version : The Coolest Guy in NorCal: OldSquirt!

diggler
08-12-2002, 06:13 AM
I had some major problems with my engine. I had tons of water in the cylinders. After pulling the engine out and looking at things, I decided to get the heads rebuilt. I bought a new Crane cam kit, but I didn't know how to put it in and get it right.
OldSquirt to the rescue! He spent at least five hours at my house on Saturday putting the engine back together with all the new parts. I tried giving beer, he wouldn't take it! I tried giving money, he wouldn't take it! I even thought about inviting over a stripper for him!
Well, we got it together and the next day, Sunday, I put the engine in, (minus the linkage to the jet drive), and let it run for 15 minutes at 2000rpms. Only one person came over to bitch.
I want the thank OldSquirt again for all his great help and advice, without which, I wouldn't even have a hope to make it to TPII! (BTW, his engine is now in his boat as of this past weekend also!, I hear it's over 500hp!)
Beers up to OldSquirt!
Here's some pics from this weekend....
OldSquirt adjusting the rockers....
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/OldSquirt_working_1.JPG
Mounting the Engine
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/Engine_on_Stand_3.JPG
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/Jet_Boats/Engine_on_Hoist.JPG

jim lee
08-12-2002, 08:31 AM
Gandalf strikes again!
I think he just misses working on Olds. :-)
Nice shirt!
-jim lee

JEThro
08-12-2002, 11:38 AM
Diggler,I'm taking my boat out tomorrow for its first time with a SBC in it.If your free and your boat is ready we can make it a twosome. Jethro

diggler
08-12-2002, 01:03 PM
JEThro:
Diggler,I'm taking my boat out tomorrow for its first time with a SBC in it.If your free and your boat is ready we can make it a twosome. JethroI'm waiting to see if OldSquirt can help me finish timing the engine before I go out and beat it. I don't know what his schedule is like though. I do need to get it timed properly by the weekend though. (Friends coming up from L.A.)
Do you know how to time an engine, because I sure don't! I'm learning lots though.

JEThro
08-12-2002, 03:37 PM
I'm not doing anything right now. I'm only about 20 minutes away{San Leandro}. Give me a call and I'd be glad to stop by and give you a hand. Jethro 278-2786

diggler
08-12-2002, 07:09 PM
JEThro:
I'm not doing anything right now. I'm only about 20 minutes away{San Leandro}. Give me a call and I'd be glad to stop by and give you a hand. Jethro 278-2786Hey Jethro! Just got off the phone with OldSquirt. He's coming out tomorrow to finish up the timing. I have to implement the new plumbing anyways so I couldn't have gone this evening. (I just got the new T-Valve from Bassett). This weekend I am heading to the Lost Isle and Skiers Beach. Think you might be that way also?

Oldsquirt
08-13-2002, 12:20 PM
Derk, in case you are surfing from work, I picked up the piston stop so we will be able to locate and mark TDC. I'll stop by sometime after 5PM.
Jim Lee,(or should I call you Mr. Ree?) I don't miss working on an Olds. Heck, I hardly ever needed to work on mine. I don't know how you guys keep breaking them. wink
I think I might like this better than my Olds anyway.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/engboat.JPG

diggler
08-13-2002, 02:55 PM
OLDSQUIRT:
Derk, in case you are surfing from work, I picked up the piston stop so we will be able to locate and mark TDC. I'll stop by sometime after 5PM.
Jim Lee,(or should I call you Mr. Ree?) I don't miss working on an Olds. Heck, I hardly ever needed to work on mine. I don't know how you guys keep breaking them. wink
I think I might like this better than my Olds anyway.
http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Gearhead_Garage/Motors_and_Drives/engboat.JPGI'll be there! Thanks again! I'll have my cell phone hanging by me also. By the way... The SECRET engine looks great! Did you get my message about the aluminum welding in the shop here?

diggler
08-14-2002, 06:41 AM
OLDSQUIRT:
Derk, in case you are surfing from work, I picked up the piston stop so we will be able to locate and mark TDC. I'll stop by sometime after 5PM.I would just like to thank you once again for getting the engine together for me. I'm really impressed with how the engine runs. I learned a lot about why the damn thing had such trouble starting due to the timing.
I look forward to getting it out for the first time since all this started, thanks to you!
See you at TPII!!

Cas
08-14-2002, 07:39 AM
Ahhh, here you are Digg!
Good news about your engine getting up and running so soon. I knew OS would be able to help you out and you're right, he's a real good guy.
I wonder if he's turning all red reading this mushy stuff about himself? :D
I guess if there's one knock on him, he's been a bit too secretive about the engine/boat he's building. So far, you're the only one I know of that's seen it....besides OS himself

Oldsquirt
08-14-2002, 07:30 PM
Cas:
.....So far, you're the only one I know of that's seen it....besides OS himselfWell, Steve, now you've seen as much of it as Diggler. That pic was taken in front of my place. With any luck it will be sea worthy by next weekend. If not, I will be walking the docks with my thumb out trying to hitch a ride :)

Cas
08-14-2002, 11:04 PM
Don't worry about getting a ride OS, I'm sure there'll be plenty of those going around. :)
Ok, I didn't see that pic last night, actually, I didn't see a lot of pics last night. My connection sucked in a major way, things were taking way too long so I didn't hang out very long.....nice and clean looking little engine you got there!
[ August 15, 2002, 12:07 AM: Message edited by: Cas ]

diggler
08-15-2002, 06:17 AM
OS, I've got you covered if you need a ride!
Found a pressure regulator from Boat U.S. that can control from 5-60psi range on the water intake. Only $37.99 in the catalog. I'm swinging by there today to see if they have them in their store.
You wouldn't happen to know the proper psi setting for such a regulator would you? Thanks!
Speak atcha guys soon! I'm taking it out this weekend for a little test drive. Cas, will you be around the Lost Isle at all?