PDA

View Full Version : Officials: Boy Started Buckweed Fire With Matches

RitcheyRch
10-30-2007, 07:04 PM
This should get interesting.
http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_303223216.html
A young boy confessed to playing with matches and inadvertently setting the Buckweed Fire that spread across 38,000 acres in Agua Dulce and Santa Clarita, sheriff's officials announced on Tuesday. Prosecutors are considering whether or not to file criminal charges.
Sheriff's arson/explosive detectives and investigators with the Los Angeles County Fire Department interviewed the boy on Oct. 22, the day after the blaze began, according to the Sheriff's Department.
Sheriff's Sgt. Diane Hecht said she did not know the boy's exact age, but she believed he was younger than a teenager.
"After talking with the suspect, he admitted to playing with matches and accidentally starting the fire," Hecht said. "The boy was released to his parents. This case will be presented to the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office for further action."
According to Hecht, the case would be presented to prosecutors for possible charges on Wednesday.
She said she "doesn't know the ramifications if the fire was started accidentally by a boy."
The Buckweed Fire, which began on Oct. 21 at Mint Canyon Road and Sierra Highway, burned 38,356 acres. Three civilians and one firefighter were injured, 63 structures were destroyed and another 30 were damaged. The fire has cost about $7.4 million to fight, fire officials said.

Havasu1986
10-30-2007, 07:50 PM
There is also a 10-12 year girl that is being chareged with starting a fire in the Anaheim Hills area. :( It's in the O.C.Register today.

BadKachina
10-30-2007, 08:14 PM
Take the kid out to the woodshed...............:boxingguy

HocusPocus
10-30-2007, 08:24 PM
when i was a kid living in Ash Fork Az, my little brother set the house next door on fire. it was abandoned and no one was hurt, my mom said the owner cleaned up on the insurance so he wasn't mad at all.

boatsnblondes
10-30-2007, 09:15 PM
What is young children's obsession with fire? I caught my boy playing with matches at the river a couple summers ago. It was the most trouble he's ever been in when I caught him.
LOL, grounded till you die of old age.....:D

My Man's Sportin' Wood
10-31-2007, 04:12 AM
really would hate to be in the parents shoes right about now:eek: :eek: :eek:
I was thinking the exact same thing. Last I heard, they made the parents pay for it.
My brother lit a fire when he was about 8 or 9 years old. He wanted to show his friends that "he could put out a fire." Well, he couldn't. Thankfully, my dad and a couple of retired neighbors were home. It took 5 adults and garden hoses/buckets to put it out. Burned up about an acre. My brother couldn't sit for about a week and a half. :D

RitcheyRch
10-31-2007, 04:18 AM
Not sure what the fascination is with fires. As said, would hate to be the parents with knowing they may be responsible for paying some of the damages.

CARLSON-JET
10-31-2007, 04:52 AM
Fire is very primal. :devil: When I was a very small child ( 3) I found a box of wooden scratch tip matches, the big box like 200+ while my parents were still asleep in an upper cupboard. I had them lined up between the couch cushions and the couch back. I was almost done and about to light them off like dominos when my Pops caught me. I don't remember what happened next but I'm pretty sure it was not good.
A few years later I took a flare out of my dads truck and lit it off. That thing stayed lit under water in the pool. :D I torched many things with it and was caught again after pops discovered a few clues.
Not long after that I discovered the torches. How I got them going I honestly don't remember but I did. I didn't understand that regulators are screwed out and not in to shut them off. Lucky me, my uncle caught me and shut them off. The Trails of black soot were pretty cool to watch float around, and again,,,, discovered by pops.
I honestly never had any intentions of doing damage, just a fascination. Take it for what it's worth.. You can beat, burn, ground, threaten or anything you can think of as punishmnet to a kid. The fascination is just as powereful for some. Luckily I never burned down the house or anything else. I have reflected back many a time... It was very close.
Who doesn't enjoy a good bonfire? I know I do.

Cigalert
10-31-2007, 05:14 AM
What sucks most is, if anything criminal is charged it's only because of the time of year and perfect circumstances for fire (also, the result of the perfect circumstances). Had this happened in February nobody would care if this kid was sparking up live oaks with a flame thrower...as long as it doesn't spread.