PDA

View Full Version : Lane Garrison Gets 3 Years, 4 Months In Prison

RitcheyRch
10-31-2007, 10:21 AM
Wonder if he will try to make a "real" prison break.
http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_304135544.html
Former "Prison Break" actor Lane Garrison has been sentenced to three years and four months in prison for a drunken driving crash that killed a 17-year-old Beverly Hills High School student last December.
Garrison was in court and had no reaction to the sentencing. He was taken away in handcuffs to immediately begin serving his sentence.
Before the ruling, he apologized to the family of the victim, saying, "I'm sick of my own behavior that night. This remorse is genuine. I feel it every day."
Garrison, who has been jailed since he was ordered on Aug. 2 to undergo a psychological evaluation by state prison officials, pleaded guilty May 21 to vehicular manslaughter without gross negligence and driving under the influence causing injury.
The 27-year-old actor also pleaded guilty to one misdemeanor count of providing alcohol to a minor and admitted an allegation of having a blood-alcohol level of .15 or higher.
Beverly Hills Superior Court Judge Elden S. Fox could have sentenced Garrison to as much as six years and eight months in prison.
The charges stemmed from the death of 17-year-old Vahagn Setian, who was a passenger in the 2001 Land Rover Garrison was driving when it struck a tree in the 300 block of South Beverly Drive Dec. 2. Two other passengers -- both 15-year-old girls -- survived.
Police said Garrison had a blood-alcohol content of .20 -- more than twice the legal limit -- and was under the influence of cocaine at the time of the crash.
A group of parents, teachers, students and area residents gathered petitions with more than 3,600 signatures calling on Fox to impose the maximum state prison term.
Garrison's attorney, Harland Braun, said in a telephone interview Tuesday that it was "very unusual that people are gathering signatures with an attempt to influence the judge" and said that he believed it was an "attempt to improperly influence the sentence."
"It almost borders on the lynch mob mentality," said Braun, who said he was hoping his client would get probation.
Deputy District Attorney Joseph Markus asked the judge to sentence Garrison to state prison.
At his last court appearance Aug. 2, the actor apologized to the victim's family.
"I have relived that night every day and I think about the bad decisions I made. I can say to you I am so sorry that you lost someone because I love people. That is my first passion," he told the victim's family.
In a recently filmed public service announcement, a teary-eyed Garrison said his life "changed forever" on the day of the crash and implored viewers not to drink and drive.
The victim's father, Karen Setian, told the judge at the hearing in August that his son "was killed not by an accident, but by the reckless, irresponsible behavior" of an adult.
"He is reckless, careless and, above all, he is selfish in his wanton, callous disregard for life," Setian said, in urging the judge to impose the maximum term. "He is an actor. He is acting. Let's not fall for his act." On "Prison Break," Garrison played the character Tweener, who was killed off in the Oct. 2, 2006 episode of the Fox drama series.
The Dallas native's other credits include the 2006 film "Crazy" and an episode of the short-lived 2005 ABC series "Night Stalker." Garrison was also part of the cast of the film, "Shooter," released this year.
Setian's parents have formed the Vahagn Setian Charitable Foundation to "ensure that his passion for music, the arts, laughter and human joy will continue to flourish in the community he loved so dearly."
The foundation, which is behind the petition drive aimed at ensuring Garrison's lengthy incarceration, will award scholarships and other assistance to art students in the Beverly Hills Unified School District.
It says it will also "constantly remind students to be aware of the danger of riding with anyone they suspect of driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, especially someone they do not know."