PDA

View Full Version : insurance

USMC1812
07-27-2002, 07:37 AM
who is the best for insurance?

diggler
07-27-2002, 11:10 AM
USMC1812:
who is the best for insurance?I went through about ten companies before I found one that would insure me. This was due to the horsepower, age, hull type, etc... Nobody wanted to touch it. I went through Boat U.S., but they aren't insuring me directly. They have me covered through some subsidiary of theres that does what they classify as "high risk" boats.

rccobra
07-27-2002, 02:57 PM
Try Progressive

Beavertim
07-27-2002, 03:10 PM
AAA is reasonably priced for a non-Hot looking boat (covered engine. Liesurecraft in Orange County (Ca) covered my old 19 ft Hallett with a 454/Bassetts. They didn't require inspection or pictures, or if they did require pictures they were OK with the scoop and headers. They were $460/yr, AAA is 275/yr. Tim P.S. Email me if you want Liesurecrafts Ph#

dankirk
07-27-2002, 03:25 PM
Try Westmar Marine Insurance. http://www.westmarinsurance.com/
They specialize in boats and their rates are fair.

Eric455
07-27-2002, 06:47 PM
hey guy's i was wondering i have a 1978 south wind t-deck with 454/bassetts very clean garaged ever since out of the deal back in 1978. when i get insured and for some reason the engine goes dead on me will insurance cover the expences? i know i have to pay the deductable thats for sure but will they cover the rest.? any info will be great thanx
eric

NorCal Gameshow
07-27-2002, 06:58 PM
for fun i tried west marine's online quote, it didn't like 1972 as year built ??????

sandblasted
07-27-2002, 07:29 PM
it probably won't be long before no insurance company will insure boats with over the transom headers...Due to burns...they are already jacking up premiums for those boats and some companies are cancelling policies altogether...The companies that build thru transom exhausts are going to make some $$ in the next few years...

USMC1812
07-27-2002, 11:08 PM
Eric455:
hey guy's i was wondering i have a 1978 south wind t-deck with 454/bassetts very clean garaged ever since out of the deal back in 1978. when i get insured and for some reason the engine goes dead on me will insurance cover the expences? i know i have to pay the deductable thats for sure but will they cover the rest.? any info will be great thanx
ericDoes anyone have an answer to this? I am sure that eventually the motor in my boat will be worth more than the hull.
Thanks,
Doug

Wet Dream
07-28-2002, 01:02 AM
Insurance companies absolutely WILL NOT cover an engine in a breakdown situation. They will however cover theft of the engine if it is written in the policy.

spectra75
07-28-2002, 01:51 AM
For those of us that boat on the Colorado River, some of the larger insurance companys have restrictions on where you can boat. I recently received a quote from AAA and they would NOT insure my SPECTRA on the river. No coverage from Boulder Dam to Blythe. Not bad prices but if they don't insure where you do the majority of your boating, WTF good is it?
spectra75

HammerDown
07-28-2002, 04:29 AM
USMC1812:
who is the best for insurance?How about this....WHO will Insure a 1983 21 (DAYTONA) Jet, W/Over the Transom Headers....on the EAST Coast?????? I've beat this to death...no one I know of will touch this Boat!
*I've herd every reason why they won't
*No, we don't cover (Daytona's) or that type of
Hull.
*Sorry, it's to old
*Sorry, it's to small!!!!
*Sorry, NO over Transom Exhaust.
*Sorry, Its a (JET) must be TOOOO fast...NOPE.
*Sorry, Sorry, Sorry...But Good Luck!
And here's one for ya, my neighbor has a massive tree branch that overhangs my Boat...I ask him in a nice was to trim it down, because if it lets go it's gona crush my Boat .
He's response...well it's Insured right.

Banshee
07-28-2002, 05:36 AM
How about this....WHO will Insure a 1983 21 (DAYTONA) Jet, W/Over the Transom Headers....on the EAST Coast?????? I've beat this to death...no one I know of will touch this Boat!
Guys, I live on the east coast and have a ’92 Advantage Banshee (20’ pickle fork tunnel jet) -similar to a Daytona hull with OT headers.
I’m insured through a company that is now called One Beacon Insurance. They changed their name from CGU- whatever the hell that stood for. They claim they have been in business for 170 years. A company called Boaters Insurance Agency underwrites my policy. Their address is: 809 Podva Road -Danville, Ca. 94526. Phone number is 800-344-7488.
I pay 527.99 /yr. That’s for full coverage with 100K of liability. Not a lot- I know, but better than nothing. I told them my motor is stock which isn’t too far from the truth but when I go thru my motor it will still be stock, or at least as far as they’ll ever know.

Wayno454
07-28-2002, 06:10 AM
I'm not sure of the statistics but it seems to me that towing the boat on the highway is far more risky than boating on the water. I consider myself a safe boater so I think the chances of damage or (God forbid) complete loss are far greater just trying to get to the lake. Usually accidents on the water are the result of the boat operator's carelessness or neglegence, but on the highway??????????? You are at the mercy of that guy next with bad tires, yelling at his kids and talking on his cell phone........Drive defensively and good luck.

Wet Dream
07-28-2002, 06:29 AM
Banshee:
[QUOTE] They changed their name from CGU- whatever the hell that stood for. .CGU... COMPANY GOING UNDER??

burbanite
07-28-2002, 06:36 AM
Beavertim:
AAA is reasonably priced for a non-Hot looking boat (covered engine. Liesurecraft in Orange County (Ca) covered my old 19 ft Hallett with a 454/Bassetts. They didn't require inspection or pictures, or if they did require pictures they were OK with the scoop and headers. They were $460/yr, AAA is 275/yr. Tim P.S. Email me if you want Liesurecrafts Ph#My hydro is insured by Progressive through AAA. Like everyone else here has experienced, no-one wanted to touch it.
I’m insured through a company that is now called One Beacon Insurance. They changed their name from CGU- whatever the hell
that stood for. They claim they have been in business for 170 years. A company called Boaters Insurance Agency underwrites my
policy. Their address is: 809 Podva Road -Danville, Ca. 94526. Phone number is 800-344-7488.
I pay 527.99 /yr. That’s for full coverage with 100K of liability. Not a lot- I know, but better than nothing. I told them my motor is
stock which isn’t too far from the truth but when I go thru my motor it will still be stock, or at least as far as they’ll ever know.I have my house and vehicles with them, they did not want to know about the boat.
I have come to the conclusion that it mostly depends on who is on the other end of the phone. If they didn't ask the question then I didn't need to provide the answer i.e. I answered truthfully to the questions asked but nothing more. Risky, maybe but no more than boating knowing you have no insurance. The alternative is leave it in the garage frown