PDA

View Full Version : Car haulers?

USCFAN
10-31-2007, 07:47 PM
Anybody here know anything about this business? Looking to get some info on enclosed trailer work.

Riverhound
10-31-2007, 09:04 PM
What exectatly do you want to know? I have been in the auto transport business for over 15 years, 10 years with a carrier and the last 5 with a OEM overseeing the U.S. logistics network. Don' t have much info on the remarketing side though.

USCFAN
10-31-2007, 09:08 PM
Looking at picking up a enclosed three car carrier and was wondering if anyone had insight on getting the truck work.

Baja Big Dog
10-31-2007, 09:38 PM
Looking at picking up a enclosed three car carrier and was wondering if anyone had insight on getting the truck work.
Pardon me...but what the hell are you looking for!!!

Riverhound
10-31-2007, 10:28 PM
With that type of truck you are limiting yourself to pretty much running local in the remarketing (used) arena. If you are set on buying a small truck I would suggest you look into becoming an owner operator with an established company or a broker. These guys can most likely keep you busy until you get established in the business and breakout on your own.
I have a question for you though. What is your reasoning with going enclosed? Reason I ask is enclosed has a VERY limited cliental especially if you are only looking at small 3 car as opposed to an 8 car carrier. Whatever you decide to buy make sure it has the capacity to accommodate soft ties as most OEM's are removing the torque box and bracket tie downs from the under carriage. This will force its way into the remarking arena fairly quickly as newer vehicles are turned over through RAC's and auctions.
The auto transport business is very difficult to make it in, lots of competition, VERY capitol intensive, HIGH claims costs and low margins.
I don't know if this was of any assistance or not but good luck in your venture.:D

USCFAN
11-01-2007, 08:14 AM
With that type of truck you are limiting yourself to pretty much running local in the remarketing (used) arena.
I don't think I would necessarily be opposed to that, however I would like to be in the high end car arena.
I have a question for you though. What is your reasoning with going enclosed?
I basically picked up the trailer for nothing. The gentleman I picked up the trailer from recently found out he has cancer and was hard up for some money. Even if I decided to sale it, I would make a profit so it was a no lose as far as I was concerned. But I figure as long as I have it maybe it can be put to work. This would not be my primary source of income for me and I have a friend who is looking for some work so figured maybe it would be a way to help him out.

RVRKID
11-01-2007, 08:40 AM
We currently have a 4 car hauler and are trying to haul local, it is real hard with the price of Diesel though to keep the truck running. We are currently getting brokered out so they take money off the top and if the trailer isn't full and you don't have a return load it sometimes isn't worth it. Also trying to get in with all the local auctions aren't easy. We have only been at it for about 4 months and the more people we talk to the more that say keep with it and it will turn so we will see.
Hey Riverhound do you have any contacts you can spare?

Ziggy
11-01-2007, 10:04 AM
get to know your local dealers. On time deliveries is probably the biggest challange for most carrier companies.
I have bounced around using various carriers for different runs but generally have been loyal to one company for the majority of my coastal runs throughout much of Ca.

USCFAN
11-01-2007, 10:21 AM
get to know your local dealers. On time deliveries is probably the biggest challange for most carrier companies.
I have bounced around using various carriers for different runs but generally have been loyal to one company for the majority of my coastal runs throughout much of Ca.
This is what I have heard from other sources also. I just need to find some time to be able to go out and meet some of these local dealers.