PDA

View Full Version : Internally or externally balanced?

Squirtcha?
11-01-2007, 05:24 AM
My 466 is getting a little tired after 6 years of beating on it and running nitrous through it.
Consequently, if been looking at stroker stuff lately, thinking of going to 521 or 532 cu in. Most of the short blocks and stroker kits I'm seeing seem to be externally balanced. My 466 is internally balanced and I'm wondering how much (if any) difference it would make.
I'm guessing balanced is balanced however you arrive at it. I am somewhat curious as to why most of the strokers seem to be external though.
Also curious as to how many are running externally balanced motors vs internal?
Thanks

Heatseeker
11-01-2007, 05:51 AM
I went internal on my BBC. My theory was that the external would cause added stress to the crank being that the weight was on the ends of it.
I don't know it that's a valid theory, but that was my thinking.

VAMI
11-01-2007, 06:28 AM
Go internal that is the best way.get a crank that is made to balance internal or add heavy metal if needed.The more stroke you add the further the throw is from center which is heavier so to equal it ,its added to the counterweigt but sometimes theres not enough room hits the block or just not enough weight.Thats why most cast cranks are external lighter than forged so it ends up on the outside.

TIMINATOR
11-01-2007, 07:52 AM
Slightly less stress on the mains at jet rpms. Whenever practical we balance internally. In lake boat world no practical difference. BTW, I have a 532 thats internally balanced,ported heads,big SS valves,big hydraulic cam,rpm airgap,HP 970 carb,davis ign and wires,roller rockers,Motorsports valve covers,10 qt.pan,all Scat internals, ARP studs,BHJ squaredecked,line honed,5 step plateau honed,5 angle valvejob,etc,etc. It has cam break-in time and about 12-15 lake MINUTES run time. A long story involving his wife, so I bought the boat /motor back. Motor recipts for $8000.00. Sell Motor alone for $5800.00 or with 20' Omega for $8800.00. Boat has new gauges,carpet,all wiring,all hoses, fresh pump by G.S.,bilge pump,battery,steering,and a bunch more. May take a running 460 in trade on motor. Total boat and motor recipts for the last year are $17,000+. We have all of the recipts for boat and motor here. TIMINATOR 623-877-8553

Squirtcha?
11-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Thanks for the info.
Seems like a fair price for the stroker Timm. However, per u$ual I'm not ready to do anything right now. Anyway, I don't need all the $tuff either. I've got my Edelbrock heads, tunnelram, carbs. That's why I'm looking at short blocks and stroker kits only. Did you dyno it? Or possibly get some numbers (impeller cut, speed, rpm?). Maybe someone that's looking for a complete motor will see this and want it.
May just have mine freshened up with some bearings and rings for the time being.
Gotta say though...........I'm getting tired of friggin dwiggins (Hotfish) beating up on my ass with his new nitrous fed 514 stroker this year. I guess it is his turn for a while though.

TIMINATOR
11-02-2007, 07:42 AM
We are a master distributor for Scat, and distributor for Eagle, we could freshen it for ya, or whatever. TIMINATOR

Hotfish
11-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the info.
Seems like a fair price for the stroker Timm. However, per u$ual I'm not ready to do anything right now. Anyway, I don't need all the $tuff either. I've got my Edelbrock heads, tunnelram, carbs. That's why I'm looking at short blocks and stroker kits only. Did you dyno it? Or possibly get some numbers (impeller cut, speed, rpm?). Maybe someone that's looking for a complete motor will see this and want it.
May just have mine freshened up with some bearings and rings for the time being.
Gotta say though...........I'm getting tired of friggin dwiggins (Hotfish) beating up on my ass with his new nitrous fed 514 stroker this year. I guess it is his turn for a while though.
:D :D :D :D :D

Red Lickin
11-03-2007, 03:02 PM
My 466 is getting a little tired after 6 years of beating on it and running nitrous through it.
Consequently, if been looking at stroker stuff lately, thinking of going to 521 or 532 cu in. Most of the short blocks and stroker kits I'm seeing seem to be externally balanced. My 466 is internally balanced and I'm wondering how much (if any) difference it would make.
I'm guessing balanced is balanced however you arrive at it. I am somewhat curious as to why most of the strokers seem to be external though.
Also curious as to how many are running externally balanced motors vs internal?
Thanks
Hello Dan, i'm running an externally balance BBF. I didn't see any differents in the two balances, let me know if you want to feel the differents.:)

Squirtcha?
11-03-2007, 03:40 PM
:D :D :D :D :D
What the hell you grinnin at man!:confused:
Hello Dan, i'm running an externally balance BBF. I didn't see any differents in the two balances, let me know if you want to feel the differents.:)
Heck yeah Frank. I'd go for a ride in that bad boy.

1968Droptop
11-03-2007, 06:38 PM
FYI, my 521 is internally balanced, w/a SCAT rotating assembly. I think it makes it easier in the long run to go internal. What happens if the flexplate gets damaged, rebalance the whole thing.

Hotfish
11-03-2007, 07:16 PM
I just thought that I put my time in thats all........I can see that its not going to last long though:D :D :D :D

ol guy
11-03-2007, 08:49 PM
consider distribution of balance and R.P.M. That should answer the question. If not consider that all motors come from the factory with somewhat of a balance to make them last over 200.000+ miles in your'e factory car that you drive to and from and here and there every day. Do you want a race boat or a pleasure boat and how much do you want to spend. How fast can you afford to go.

LakesOnly
11-04-2007, 09:08 AM
Dan,
Generally, below 7000 rpm it's not going to make any difference. Above 7000 rpm, you ought to consider moving the balacing inside the crankcase.
The main reason that most of the offshore 426/460 stroker kits show as being externally balanced is because the rotating assemblies were designed with their crankshafts in the D9TE block's external balance configuration...because if these cranksahfts were made in the internal balance configuration, then they would not fit the D9TE-AB blocks, that's all. Any of these cranks can be internally balanced, but it may cost a little more since the counterweights are smaller (depends on your reciprocating mass).
LO

Red Lickin
11-04-2007, 09:48 AM
FYI, my 521 is internally balanced, w/a SCAT rotating assembly. I think it makes it easier in the long run to go internal. What happens if the flexplate gets damaged, rebalance the whole thing.
no you don't have to rebalance the whole thing, you just have to rebalance your new flexplate.the shop that you had your rotating assembly balanced at should have gave you a balance card, which will have all the numbers for everything that was balance.

Red Lickin
11-04-2007, 10:00 AM
no you don't have to rebalance the whole thing, you just have to rebalance your new flexplate.the shop that you had your rotating assembly balanced at should have gave you a balance card, which will have all the numbers for everything that was balance.
Heck yeah Frank. I'd go for a ride in that bad boy.[/QUOTE]
I'm going out Sunday to do some tunning and tweaking before the race. You can bring yours out and try out the grate.