PDA

View Full Version : Stock brokers and such

WaterJunky
11-01-2007, 12:50 PM
Hello all;
I was just reading a thread on peoples investments and was interested in who people here are investing through. I am looking at opening an account in the next several months along with cleaning up several 401K accounts. I am starting fairly small so I am thinking about some of the "Do it your self" groups because of the lower fees.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks for the ideas.

Stoneman
11-01-2007, 12:54 PM
Hello all;
I was just reading a thread on peoples investments and was interested in who people here are investing through. I am looking at opening an account in the next several months along with cleaning up several 401K accounts. I am starting fairly small so I am thinking about some of the "Do it your self" groups because of the lower fees.
What are your thoughts?
Thanks for the ideas.
I use scotttrade. 7.00 bucks a trade. been working good for me so far.

2Driver
11-01-2007, 01:03 PM
We had accounts all over then I found a person I liked at AG Edwards. However, I am moving from AG Edwards to Smith Barney but only because my Broker/financial planner moved there and signed on for 9 years with them.
I guess it depends on whether you need a broker or a financial planner. After that the actual person is really key, assuming the person has a good firm behind them. One with out the other doesn't make any sense. There are cheaper ones out there but I was not shopping price as first criteria.

WaterJunky
11-01-2007, 01:51 PM
The good news is that I have a friend I can trust who works for a well known firm. The only problem is that the national leadership has now requred all new account to start off at 75K. He has volenteered several times to give me pointers on purchaces but he cannot carry the account. I am figuring that I want something that is not going to kill me with fees in the mean time.
Advise and all that I am not hugely dependant on.

voodoomedman
11-01-2007, 01:54 PM
Who do you bank with? I think online trades are free now if you have a Prima account with BofA.

superdave013
11-01-2007, 02:06 PM
The good news is that I have a friend I can trust who works for a well known firm. The only problem is that the national leadership has now requred all new account to start off at 75K. He has volenteered several times to give me pointers on purchaces but he cannot carry the account. I am figuring that I want something that is not going to kill me with fees in the mean time.
Advise and all that I am not hugely dependant on.
That does not sound right to me. And if it is that's too bad as you could do no better then working with someone who knows you and you trust.
I tried the diy thing for awhile. I didn't do as well as I do using my brother and or father as my broker. Gee, I think they know a few things I don't. So for me I am money ahead paying the fees.
They work for Wachovia and if you would like my brother's contact info let me know.

WaterJunky
11-01-2007, 07:32 PM
The 75K thing is not something that they are bragging about. He can shoehorn something for me if I am partway there, Having just finished a master's I do not have significant investments (yet:D ). I am just looking for something for the next year or two and I am concerned about those little details that I don't know. I know Agriculture, Water and a little about mustangs and Ford trucks, not stocks and such. I have been toying with the Scottrade idea and wanted to see if anybody had any thoughts.

SoCalOffshore
11-01-2007, 08:18 PM
just contact Vanguard and put the money into mutual funds. the are very low cost. you could use their balanced index and say 20% international fund. this would give you some balance. dont micromanage it and leave it alone. if you have to use a broker, use only the american funds group. they are very good with low cost fees. you will have to pay a commission though. again just leave it alone. good luck. i own my own investment advisory firm and this is what i would advise. :D