PDA

View Full Version : Joe Torre Is In-dodgers!

BoatPI
11-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Just saw the news..or perhaps no news by now.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-dodgers2nov2,0,2420217.story?coll=la-home-center

Havasu1986
11-01-2007, 01:47 PM
Just heard it on ESPN Radio

Hustler
11-01-2007, 01:49 PM
Very cool. I just hope A Rod does'nt follow him.

Ziggy
11-01-2007, 01:51 PM
whooptidoo :D

BoatPI
11-01-2007, 02:11 PM
This a all ++++ for the Dodgers. I am certain that he will bring aboard a few coachs too.

Havasu1986
11-01-2007, 02:14 PM
This a all ++++ for the Dodgers. I am certain that he will bring aboard a few coachs too.
They better get some players also. Torre can't make a 4th place team a playoff contender by himself.

Hustler
11-01-2007, 02:51 PM
whooptidoo :D
F'n Padre fans:rolleyes: :D

MBlaster
11-01-2007, 02:58 PM
Great news for LA.
Wonder if Mattingly is comming too...

KineticoH20
11-01-2007, 03:20 PM
Joe knows that the best way to stick it to the Yankees and Steinbrenner is to take the Dodgers all the way!:D

Havasu1986
11-01-2007, 03:26 PM
He's available and if he doesn't get a better job offer, I'd say he'll be with Torre.
And maybe Larry Bowa also.

3 daytona`s
11-01-2007, 05:25 PM
ESPN.com and SI.com there is going to be more than coaches following him. Would be quite an event if he would meet the Yankees in the World Series:idea: :)

HavasuSelect
11-02-2007, 09:51 AM
Next year will be the last year in Yankee Stadium, The Dodgers have never played an interleague game there. I'm thinking next year is gonna be the year when the Dodgers play the Yanks in Ny.
Now that should be interesting.......I'm def gonna try and get tickets to that!

Ziggy
11-02-2007, 10:09 AM
F'n Padre fans:rolleyes: :D:D :D
IS Torre really that good of a Skipper? I've read he's good at managing good players but lousy at teaching the ones that need direction....
So my whoopitdo is more in the way of it not really being that much of an impact change........but lets see how it goes, never know. We got to wait 9-10 months to see if he can help the Dodger Bluemen.
GO PADRES!

Old Texan
11-02-2007, 10:16 AM
Next year will be the last year in Yankee Stadium, The Dodgers have never played an interleague game there. I'm thinking next year is gonna be the year when the Dodgers play the Yanks in Ny.
Now that should be interesting.......I'm def gonna try and get tickets to that!
Dodgers have played many WS games in Yankee Stadium since the 2 clubs have met about 11 times in the "Fall Classic", 4 since the Dodgers moving to LA. I guess you may not remember the last time in '81.......:D
By the way you do know the Dadgers originated in NY, Brooklyn specifically?

boatnam2
11-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Hate to bring down the dodger blue, but take away the 10 years of him coaching a 200 million dollar team his record isnt so great one pennant in 12 or so years.It cracks me up how they think a coach can make a team win.

HavasuSelect
11-02-2007, 10:36 AM
Dodgers have played many WS games in Yankee Stadium since the 2 clubs have met about 11 times in the "Fall Classic", 4 since the Dodgers moving to LA. I guess you may not remember the last time in '81.......:D
By the way you do know the Dadgers originated in NY, Brooklyn specifically?
Of course, I'm pretty well versed on the history of the Brooklyn Trolly Dodgers. I've just never got the opportunity to see the Dodgers play the Yanks in NY.
I was there a couple years ago when the Yanks played in L.A., that was a pretty exciting series.

syke-o
11-02-2007, 11:01 AM
the players make the team.. not the coach in baseball.... dont forget he was a losing manager and tv analyst before gettin the reigns of the yankees.. anyone with any amoutn of baseball know how could have gotten similar results out of the yankees in my opinioon..

Trailer Park Casanova
11-02-2007, 11:17 AM
:D :D
IS Torre really that good of a Skipper? I've read he's good at managing good players but lousy at teaching the ones that need direction....
GO PADRES!
Whos a good manager at teaching those who need direction?
Billy Martin is dead.
Italians make the best managers.
-Tommy LaSorta

Ziggy
11-02-2007, 11:23 AM
Whos a good manager at teaching those who need direction?
Billy Martin is dead.
-Tommy LaSorta
Couldn't tell ya..........big no ainy
Not a big follower of baseball anyhow, I was just repeating something I read.
I didn't even see one out of the WS this year.
lets concentrate on football instead :D

Trailer Park Casanova
11-02-2007, 11:25 AM
lets concentrate on football instead :D
Yeahh,, Go Raiders,,

Ziggy
11-02-2007, 12:12 PM
Yeahh,, Go Raiders,,
LMAO........good one :D

Old Texan
11-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Most experts, Peter Gammons, Buster Olney, John Miller, etc, believe that a manager is only good for plus or minus 5 wins per season. At the most. The Dodgers are an 80 win team, plus or minus 5.
There are examples of Managers costing a team wins. Phil Garner has managed to do it at several stops, last being here in Houston. Stupid strategy, not knowing when to remove a pitcher, letting a pitcher swing away into a DP when he should be bunting the runner over, all typiocal Garner moves.
Bobby Cox probably "manages" an extra 5 plus every year. Same with Tony LaRussa.
Even Lou Pinella whom I consider a top level manager screws up. In the playoffs he pulled his starter in the 6th to save him for a second start on 3 days rest, got a pitiful bullpen performance, lost the game and never recovered momentum. Let em' throw until the game's over and deal with tommorrow, tommorrow.
I think Torre will get the Dodgers those extra 5. He's a solid strategist. The field Manager is oh so dependent on a GM that knows how to acquire talent. The Yanks haven't been doing that very well lately in the pitching department. Nobody figured out Clemens lost his legs 2 years ago and hasn't been able to go more than a hand full of starts. Too much money wasted that could have brought in some young arms.
The Dodgers need to develop pitching just like the majority of baseball. Isn't a team going that has 4 reliable starters these days. Pitching talent is spread very thin in comparison to the number of offensive players. The Rockies and Padres are examples of teams with one or the other.

boatnam2
11-02-2007, 12:54 PM
the players make the team.. not the coach in baseball.... dont forget he was a losing manager and tv analyst before gettin the reigns of the yankees.. anyone with any amoutn of baseball know how could have gotten similar results out of the yankees in my opinioon..
Exactly he has the best team in baseball.I just hate when they make these coaches out the holy savior good example coach for notre dame,parcells didnt do shit,sabin for alabama shit he made the dolphins 10 times as shitty as they ever were.

Sheeprides
11-02-2007, 02:09 PM
-Tommy LaSorta
Lasorda's the man. My favorite quote by him was: "If Mike Scioscia were to race his pregnant wife to first base, he'd come in third."