PDA

View Full Version : Debt Collecter/Legal advice?

maxwedge
11-02-2007, 06:12 AM
removed

ratso
11-02-2007, 06:15 AM
Ignore it... It seems that when the 7 year (I think) mark hits, that's a last ditch effort to collect...

maxwedge
11-02-2007, 06:21 AM
Ignore it... It seems that when the 7 year (I think) mark hits, that's a last ditch effort to collect...
That was my first thought, but it doesn't say "we may file" or we "might" it says they will and when she initially contacted me the message said it was "with regards to filing a summons" From what I've read, they can't say they intend to take me to court unless they actually intend to.

BoatPI
11-02-2007, 06:26 AM
It is a scam. I bet that they have nothing to do with the original debt that you owed, just a bottom feeder.

redneckcharlie
11-02-2007, 06:35 AM
That was my first thought, but it doesn't say "we may file" or we "might" it says they will and when she initially contacted me the message said it was "with regards to filing a summons" From what I've read, they can't say they intend to take me to court unless they actually intend to.
They can threaten a lawsuit all they want. That is a very common practice in debt collection. In your case alledged debt. Many states have time limits on when a suit may be filed to collect money. You may want to call down to your local magistrate court and ask, or they may have a website you can look it up on. Regardless, I highly doubt there is any validity to there call. If it was me, I wouldn't give that an ounce of concern. Worst case scenario is they file in your local magistrate, and the judge dismisses it. At this point its way past the point they can put anything on your credit, and if they have, you can have it immediately removed. You may want to pull your credit file and see what it states with regards to that account.

C-2
11-02-2007, 06:51 AM
Ughh, a JDB (junk debt buyer) and now you responded they will not let go easy.
You probably did settle with Discover cuz Greenwood Trust is pretty aggressive on collections.
I would check your credit first – they might have re-aged the account and placed a new collection on your credit file. Pull your credit using a privacy/score service. DO NOT pull your credit report from annualcreditreport.com (it can hinder your ability to clean up any crap they might have put on it.)
If it’s on your credit report – then them filing suit really doesn’t matter. If they file, you will have an affirmative defense to have the suit dismissed via the expired statutes. That also raises the point – where would they file since the debt originated in NV, and now you are in IL. I believe hey would have to file in NV; get a judgment and then have it naturalized in IL (judgments do not cross state lines).
Research the hell out of this website: http://consumers.creditnet.com/Discussions/f-credit-talk-3.html/
Where is HokeySon? :)

snake321
11-02-2007, 06:52 AM
Companies that pick up 10 year old claims cases don't spend money on lawyers to go to court. These guys are right. These are bottom feeders playing a percentage game. Some people might, some might not......

C-2
11-02-2007, 06:55 AM
I think they also have to validate the debt – provide you with a copy of the original debt, then you have a certain period of time to dispute the existence of the debt (or something like that). That’s usually where they go limp since they cannot provide that info since the debt has been transferred so many times.
Also, tell them you will be recording your conversation and ask for their permission to do so.

Big Warlock
11-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Also, tell them you will be recording your conversation and ask for their permission to do so.
Excellent advice! :)

HM
11-02-2007, 08:32 AM
Everything C-2 said is correct. You also want to make sure not to volunteer any information to these guys. They are professionals and are there to find out as much stuff as possible. The only weapon they have is creating fear/embarrassment in people.
If it persists, I have a guy that specializes in this stuff. Ed Raucher with Melucci, Thomas, and Brown (775-751-1963). For a very small retainer ($300) he will make sure you don't get any more phone calls and will tell you if this is a real issue or not. If it is a real issue, then he will help you thru that. He is really cool. Has a deep New York accent that he uses to his advantage as he sounds like he is making you a deal you can't refuse. :D

essexjet
11-02-2007, 08:39 AM
I think they also have to validate the debt – provide you with a copy of the original debt, then you have a certain period of time to dispute the existence of the debt (or something like that). That’s usually where they go limp since they cannot provide that info since the debt has been transferred so many times.
I would sent them a letter stating:
This will serve as your legal notice under the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
(FDCPA), to cease all communication with me in regard to the debt referenced above. Do
not contact me, or any third parties regarding this debt via the telephone.
Furthermore, I formally dispute the validity of this debt. Please provide me with
documentation that supports why you believe this debt belongs to me, and why you
believe I owe this amount. Please send me copies of the original application for this
account, any signatures associated with this account, any bills associated with this
account, etc.
You are also notified that should any adverse information be placed against my credit
reports, appropriate actions will be taken under the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act
(FCRA).
Thank you for your attention to this matter.

ratso
11-02-2007, 08:42 AM
These people are like a lot of detectives I know... They are paid to lie to you to get whatever they are wanting out of you.

DAB
11-02-2007, 09:08 AM
This type of conduct seems to be increasing. An employee of mine a while back went through the same scenario, threats of civil suits, etc...etc..etc.. He called our EAP and they put in touch with an attorney that said, this is well beyond the Statute of Limitations and do not pay them a penny.. He told them don't ever call me again, see you in court and now it's gone.. Tell them to F' Off!

maxwedge
11-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Okay I feel way better after reading all this and especially this site.:D
http://www.budhibbs.com/debtcollectorpages/cmc_recovery.htm
Here is yet another ‘Buffalo Style’ group of future inmates posing as private investigators threatening litigation. Their con story is they work for New York City Attorney Robert Goldstein & Associates and are out to find your assets.
Consumers need to understand that there is NO Attorney Robert Goldstein & Associates, they cannot sue you or affect any legal claims, and they are con men, full of lies, threats and extortion.
They work out of a hidden office, near Stone Mountain, GA, the phone numbers above are real, and they can be traced to their actual location. The address they use is a UPS Store in Stone Mountain, they answer the phone “Civil Litigations” have absolutely nothing to do with litigation, law or any attorney.
These are crooks, out to fleece you out of your money; the good news is idiot owner, Desmond M. Cooper lives in a fairly nice home and likely has assets when you successfully sue him.
Anyone being contacted by this gang of crooks, idiots, con-men and over-blown egotists are warned NOT to give them any or banking/credit card information.
Contact me for assistance and referral to a consumer law professional; tape their calls to use in court cases and for law enforcement.

Her454
11-02-2007, 09:28 AM
Click here to see naked pictures of Rex1 and RTJ
Naked pictures of Her454 and PhotoChick....Click Here. :D
ROTFLMAO, Just noticed your links. :D :D :D Carry on, Sorry for the Hijack.....

HM
11-02-2007, 09:49 AM
ROTFLMAO, Just noticed your links. :D :D :D Carry on, Sorry for the Hijack.....
Marketing. :D

AZJD
11-02-2007, 10:06 AM
I had one recently from $183.00 bill from 1993. I paid it in 95 or 6'ish if I remember correctly. But again as you said Max, I don't keep records past 3 years. Nor do I remember what the Hell I was doing 15 years ago.
I ignored it! They haven't tried to contact me.

Dave4XTC
11-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Very good post I recently got contacted by a collection agency for a alledged debt 10+ years ago

C-2
11-02-2007, 10:24 AM

WYRD
11-02-2007, 10:38 AM
It is a scam. I bet that they have nothing to do with the original debt that you owed, just a bottom feeder.
Exactly! Anybody with resources can get ahold of your credit and find some aging debt then claim to be a collector and offer to "settle" for pennys on the dollar. You send them a check thinking it takes care of everything and whadda know? Debt is still there crooks cashed the check and moved on to the next victim:idea: Ignore it, they will get bored and move on:)

C-2
11-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Tread lightly, don’t blow it off as a scam.
Just the same as they will have a hard to proving the debt exists – you will have an equally hard time proving it was paid. They know that.
Now they have you marked, they in fact might hope you blow it off. They file suit; you ignore it and they take a default judgment against you. They could be pursuing a bad debt, even be in the wrong court - but it doesn't matter if you don't object or respond, the court will proceed without you, based upon their representation, even if false or completely made-up.
True, had you blown it off from the beginning, they would have stopped bothering you and the debt would have been re-sold again. Which sucks, but lesson learned for everybody :(
But make no mistake, a lot of JDB companies are real, and their lawyers are real too. While some only bark, others will readily file suit.
Check your credit first, if they are playing hardball, then a newly “re-aged” account will be there.

YeLLowBoaT
11-02-2007, 11:33 AM
This will serve as your legal notice under the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act
(FDCPA), to cease all communication with me in regard to the debt referenced above. Do
Furthermore, I formally dispute the validity of this debt. Please provide me with
documentation that supports why you believe this debt belongs to me, and why you
believe I owe this amount. Please send me copies of the original application for this
account, any signatures associated with this account, any bills associated with this
account, etc.
You are also notified that should any adverse information be placed against my credit
reports, appropriate actions will be taken under the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act
(FCRA).
this sounds like a good idea... ether they are real and comply or its a scam and they will go away.

robk
11-02-2007, 12:28 PM
These guys sound like scammers. Watch your step.... I'd take C-2's advice.
http://www.budhibbs.com/debtcollectorpages/cmc_recovery_cmts.htm
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Collections-Law-912/Odd-call-Claims-America.htm
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Collections-Law-912/Claims-America.htm
http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-770-881-7088/4
Rob

H20Advantage
11-02-2007, 01:29 PM
You are right and if they do activate it on your credit report you can challenge the original company to come up with the original file. If they can not it has to be removed. Most companies don't keep the original files that far back.

OC28HEAT
11-02-2007, 01:36 PM
account, etc.
(FCRA).
do not dispute the debt because this will start the clock all over again. Just notify them that they are never to contact you and that they are violating the FDCPA and if they have a case to file in feel free to provide them with the court address
do NOT talk about whether you owe or do not owe the money

maxwedge
11-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Okay now that I'm basically convinced this is crap. If anybody wants to put them on their drunk dial list, the phone # is 770-881-7088.:D

Jbb
11-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Okay now that I'm basically convinced this is crap. If anybody wants to put them on their drunk dial list/and or just annoy the shit outta them, the phone # is 770-881-7088.:D
770...:D ..That's an Atlanta area code....

YeLLowBoaT
11-02-2007, 01:47 PM
I think some one is going to get a vist form a man in a jeep yelling BNAG :D

maxwedge
11-02-2007, 01:48 PM
Info I have is
2055 c 349 scenic Hwy North
Snellville, Ga 30078:D

YeLLowBoaT
11-02-2007, 01:52 PM
If your intrested a google of the phone number comes up with this
http://civilclaimsais.com/Services.html
CourtClaims Asset Investigative Services LLC.
5295 Highway 78
Suite D 156
Stone Mountain, GA 30087
(770) 881-7088 phn
(770) 573-4340 fax

Jbb
11-02-2007, 01:54 PM
If your intrested a google of the phone number comes up with this
http://civilclaimsais.com/Services.html
CourtClaims Asset Investigative Services LLC.
5295 Highway 78
Suite D 156
Stone Mountain, GA 30087
(770) 881-7088 phn
(770) 573-4340 fax
Sounds like the real deal.....You're in big trouble....:D

topless
11-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Very interesting...........you ARE in trouble now. Pay them the full amount and offer them a little extra for their trouble.
http://atlanta.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Report.aspx?site=39&bbb=0443&firm=27000288

YeLLowBoaT
11-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Very interesting...........you ARE in trouble now. Pay them the full amount and offer them a little extra for their trouble.
http://atlanta.bbb.org/WWWRoot/Report.aspx?site=39&bbb=0443&firm=27000288
lol 1 employee... That right there say every thing you need to know.

maxwedge
11-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Sounds like the real deal.....You're in big trouble....:D
Yeah, I like how they have like four different names all doing business under the same phone #. I'm gonna run it by an attorney on monday anyway, but really at this point it's more cause I'm hoping maybe he'll want to forward a complaint to the FTC or something.:D

YeLLowBoaT
11-02-2007, 02:11 PM
Better yet tell them you want proof of what they ow... then when they can't deliver... sue thier ass. I know my lawyer would be foaming at the mouth for one of those cases...