PDA

View Full Version : Nuclear Power Plant Worker Found With Explosive

RitcheyRch
11-02-2007, 11:58 AM
Imagine now our electric bill going to go up.
http://cbs2.com/national/topstories_story_306143412.html
Security officials at the nation's largest nuclear power plant detained a contract worker with a small explosive device in the back of his pickup truck Friday, authorities said.
The worker was stopped and detained at the entrance of the Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station, said U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission spokesman Victor Dricks. Security officials then put the nuclear station on lockdown, prohibiting anyone from entering or leaving the facility.
Authorities described the device as a small capped pipe that contained suspicious residue.
Capt. Paul Chagolla with the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office said sheriff's officials rendered the device safe and that investigators were interviewing the worker.
"Our Security personnel acted cautiously and appropriately, demonstrating that our security process and procedures work as designed," said Randy Edington, the chief nuclear officer for plant operator Arizona Public Service Co., in a statement.
The incident was considered an "unusual event" -- the lowest of four emergencies the plant can declare, said Jim Melfi, an inspector with the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission.
There was no threat to the public and the station was operating normally, said Palo Verde spokesman Jim McDonald.
Palo Verde, operated by Arizona Public Service Co., is the nation's largest nuclear power plant both in size and capacity. Located in Wintersburg about 50 miles west of downtown Phoenix, the plant supplies electricity to about 4 million customers in Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and California.

IMPATIENT 1
11-02-2007, 12:07 PM
well at least they're payin attention, that makes me feel slightly better:rolleyes:

AZJD
11-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Great! 50 miles from me..
That will put a wierd kink in my hair!:D

Craig
11-13-2007, 07:01 PM
I had to sit in my building for 7 freakin' hours under "lock down" while this played out :mad: I think Sheriff Joe was blowing it out of proportion. Our plant security didn't find any explosives, and I've seen them pull a guy at the first check point who was out shooting the day before in the desert because they picked up some nitrates on his steering wheel. I was told it was a pipe kids use to shoot bottle rockets out of. Guy lives in an apartment complex, kids probably tossed it in the back of his pick up when they were done. It was in plain site. :confused: Funny the AZ Republic was reporting on plant Security having automatic weapons. Some people wrote in saying they don't have automatics. Anyone who lives within a couple of miles on the south side of the plant near the firing range knows they do!

havasu5150
11-13-2007, 08:11 PM
This is two week old news that was blown way out of proportion on the day it happened 11/02/07. The security forces, regardless of how they were armed or not armed, did their job. It was essentailly a non event.