PDA

View Full Version : Ghost Town of Bodie

Her454
11-03-2007, 11:16 AM
LMAO, I know I've read some stories about Bodie on here so I did a search to look them up......... Ended up with ONE thread with very little information and a thousand others that had people spelling Body (BODIE), Everybody (EVERYBODIE) and a bunch of aliases down in Bench Racers.
Geeeeeeeeeeeeeez.
SO.........Anyone know the best time of year that EVERYBODY goes to BODIE? :D

OCMerrill
11-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Been there many times.
Winter is not a good time and they do close for the season. June through September is what we shoot for. Wind can blow.
The Bodie curse is don't take anything with you (pick up and take as there is vintage stuff everywhere lying about) or you will have serious bad luck.:)
Enter off HWY 395 about 20 mi north of Lee Vining and Mono Lake. Bodie Road is about 13 miles long to the guard shack/pay booth. Last three miles of this road is dirt.
Once you park you just foot it around and look at all the buildings and the town in very much the original un-restored condition.

MR.rvrluvr
11-03-2007, 11:40 AM
dont go in the winter it gets tons of snow...I think they close it down.....It is awesome from what i hear...never been but do know it snows like crazy....tiny little road to get in...so might be impassable with snow....

Her454
11-03-2007, 12:05 PM
What is the "season"? So would tomorrow be out of the question per weather?

Rexone
11-03-2007, 12:09 PM
I was there last week and the weather was perfect. T shirt weather. Just check to make sure no storms or heavy wind are scheduled before you go. It was WELL worth the trip. 2nd time I've been.
The main season ends at Labor day and my impression is from the info person it's much more crowded then.

Her454
11-03-2007, 12:13 PM
I was there last week and the weather was perfect. T shirt weather. Just check to make sure no storms or heavy wind are scheduled before you go. It was WELL worth the trip. 2nd time I've been.
The main season ends at Labor day and my impression is from the info person it's much more crowded then.
Thanks Mike, thats what I was looking for. I've always wanted to go and Im getting stir crazy so I thought it might be a day trip. :D

Rexone
11-03-2007, 12:16 PM
Thanks Mike, thats what I was looking for. I've always wanted to go and Im getting stir crazy so I thought it might be a day trip. :D
I highly recommend it. It was part of a 2 week trip for me, covering 6 states and 3500 miles. :rolleyes:
Now about the who's who thread... :idea:

Her454
11-03-2007, 12:19 PM
I highly recommend it. It was part of a 2 week trip for me, covering 6 states and 3500 miles. :rolleyes:
Now about the who's who thread... :idea:
I had planned on going last week.... imagine that heheheh.
I knew that was coming...........I tried but I just couldn't find it............ damn thing always disappears. :eek: :D

Rexone
11-03-2007, 12:36 PM
I knew that was coming...........I tried but I just couldn't find it............ damn thing always disappears. :eek: :D
That would have been classic had you showed up in my camera lens unexpectedly tromping around in the dirt. :D
Always here to assist. (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61389) :)

Rexone
11-03-2007, 12:40 PM
If you want a great view of Mono lake go out the southern road to hwy 167 I think it is. But it's a 17 mile dirt road and very much washboarded out. I went that way because I was going east to Utah next. If you ever want to truly go to no mans land head east on that to Hawthorne, then drop down to Tonopah and east on the 6 to Ely across central Nevada. Passed about 6 cars in 300 miles or so. :eek:

My Man's Sportin' Wood
11-03-2007, 12:43 PM
I've been several times. As long as there's not snow or a cold front, you could go any time. In the winter it gets super cold and in the summer it gets blistering hot. There is a lot of wind. The last 7-10 miles is a washboard dirt road. There are outhouses, but no eating facilities. Bring your own lunch. We always have an icechest in the truck for drinks/lunch. There is a little museum/gift shop, but no shopping other than that. Hope that helps. :D
Oh, and the best pics happen in the evening, just as the sun's going down. If you're coming from the north, the last gas is Bridgeport.

Her454
11-03-2007, 12:46 PM
I've been several times. As long as there's not snow or a cold front, you could go any time. In the winter it gets super cold and in the summer it gets blistering hot. There is a lot of wind. The last 7-10 miles is a washboard dirt road. There are outhouses, but no eating facilities. Bring your own lunch. We always have an icechest in the truck for drinks/lunch. There is a little museum/gift shop, but no shopping other than that. Hope that helps. :D
Oh, and the best pics happen in the evening, just as the sun's going down. If you're coming from the north, the last gas is Bridgeport.
If you want a great view of Mono lake go out the southern road to hwy 167 I think it is. But it's a 17 mile dirt road and very much washboarded out. I went that way because I was going east to Utah next. If you ever want to truly go to no mans land head east on that to Hawthorne, then drop down to Tonopah and east on the 6 to Ely across central Nevada. Passed about 6 cars in 300 miles or so. :eek:
THANKS! This is the kind of info I am looking for! We will have the 4 wheel drive so that is no problem, I was just worried about the weather and closures.
:D :D
That would have been classic had you showed up in my camera lens unexpectedly tromping around in the dirt. :D
Always here to assist. (http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61389) :)
Dont think that didn't cross my mind when I read your first post LOL..........
Thanks for the thread assist......... trying to get me to think on a Sunday hu.........:)

My Man's Sportin' Wood
11-03-2007, 12:47 PM
There's lots of Mark Twain stuff there. He spent a lot of time in the area. And in Hawthorne. I always wanted to make that trip Mike was talking about, but was scared off by the warnings that you need a 4x4. Sounds like any decent truck would do it.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
11-03-2007, 12:48 PM
I think they only close it in the snow. Pretty sure the rangers live there year-round. I've known some photographers that shoot up there in the snow, so I don't think it's closed that often.
I take it back on the outhouses. I forgot last time I was there they had some cinderblock restrooms, but they were still pit toilets.

Her454
11-03-2007, 12:49 PM
There's lots of Mark Twain stuff there. He spent a lot of time in the area. And in Hawthorne. I always wanted to make that trip Mike was talking about, but was scared off by the warnings that you need a 4x4. Sounds like any decent truck would do it.
Mark Twain's cabin is about 25 minutes from us. Right off the exit to go to New Melones Lake. Historical Monument.
I love stuff like that.........:D

Her454
11-03-2007, 12:49 PM
I think they only close it in the snow. Pretty sure the rangers live there year-round. I've known some photographers that shoot up there in the snow, so I don't think it's closed that often.
Didn't you say you own the Rebel XTi ?

My Man's Sportin' Wood
11-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Didn't you say you own the Rebel XTi ?
I have the XT. I took the big (medium format) camera up there one year and got some great black and white stuff.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
11-03-2007, 12:58 PM
Mark Twain's cabin is about 25 minutes from us. Right off the exit to go to New Melones Lake. Historical Monument.
I love stuff like that.........:D
Have you read "Roughing It" ? It's hilarious. It's semi-autobiographical, semi-bullshit about his adventures leaving Missouri and adventures in Virginia City/Carson City/Tahoe/and Truckee area. I'm only halfway through it, but his time on Lake Tahoe made me laugh out loud.

Rexone
11-03-2007, 01:17 PM
Dont think that didn't cross my mind when I read your first post LOL..........
....:)
The funniest part would have been you'd have had no friggin idea how pics of you showed up on ***boat.
All you might have known was that you were a bit annoyed by some apparent perverted stalker shooting pics with you conveniently in them, all over Bodie. :D

Her454
11-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Have you read "Roughing It" ? It's hilarious. It's semi-autobiographical, semi-bullshit about his adventures leaving Missouri and adventures in Virginia City/Carson City/Tahoe/and Truckee area. I'm only halfway through it, but his time on Lake Tahoe made me laugh out loud.
No I have not, but it sounds like its worth the read. :D
I have the XT. I took the big (medium format) camera up there one year and got some great black and white stuff.
I have the EOS 5D. Too much camera for what I wanted actually but I got it for Christmas. I really like the XT's, great cameras.
The funniest part would have been you'd have had no friggin idea how pics of you showed up on ***boat.
All you might have known was that you were a bit annoyed by some apparent perverted stalker shooting pics with you conveniently in them, all over Bodie. :D
AND, that probably would have been enough to put me completely over the edge....and blame Mandelon of course. :eek: :D

ratso
11-03-2007, 02:03 PM
http://www.ghosttowngallery.com/htme/bodie.htm

Rexone
11-03-2007, 02:22 PM
I forgot last time I was there they had some cinderblock restrooms, but they were still pit toilets.
The have some actual flushers in the one by the parking lot now. They were even clean. :)
So T can have all the j-shots she wants and not have to worry bout leaning over into a smelly pit to puke... :D

Trailer Park Casanova
11-03-2007, 05:54 PM
Last time we went to Bodie we stayed at a motel in Bishop.
Both Budweiser and Chevy Trucks had TV commercial film crews staying at the same motel.
That evening, the two film crew catering services invited all the Motel guests and employees to dinner with full open bar in a huge beer garden picnic area in the rear of the Motel property.
Damn it was a blast. Premium food and chefs.
Best Bodie trip and one of the best dinners ever.

Flyinbowtie
11-03-2007, 05:57 PM
T, knowing the camera geek you are, you want to get there in the morning.
The road in from 395 is the biggest PIA of the trip.
We actually took our old motorhome in there, Cindy says it was about 1996ish. It is awesome.
Ya know, if we put this thing together for HAN next year, maybe after the show is over we could cruise down there, camp around June Lake and then go back to Bodie early the next morning.
Even from your place it'll be a long haul for a day trip.

Her454
11-03-2007, 06:03 PM
Last time we went to Bodie we stayed at a motel in Bishop.
Both Budweiser and Chevy Trucks had TV commercial film crews staying at the same motel.
That evening, the two film crew catering services invited all the residents to dinner with full open bar in a huge beer garden picnic area in the rear of the Motel property.
Damn it was a blast. Premium food and chefs.
Best Bodie trip and one of the best dinners ever.
THATS IT! I've made up my mind, I'm following TPC around forever! He gets all the good shiat and the good adventures!:D
T, knowing the camera geek you are, you want to get there in the morning.
The road in from 395 is the biggest PIA of the trip.
We actually took our old motorhome in there, Cindy says it was about 1996ish. It is awesome.
Ya know, if we put this thing together for HAN next year, maybe after the show is over we could cruise down there, camp around June Lake and then go back to Bodie early the next morning.
Even from your place it'll be a long haul for a day trip.
Bodie is out for tomorrow, have to make it another time....heading to Knights Ferry instead. Closer trip for the day. I'll keep all this in mind for when we do go though!
Thats ok, Mike is really stoked about HAN. He's been working so damn much I just told him about it the other night and he's talked about it ever since. I doubt we will haul the boat up but we are definitely going to make the trip...maybe we can be boat biatches......or he can anyway. :D :D

IN2MX
11-03-2007, 07:49 PM
been there twice.....once as a kid and once as an adult. loved it both times. i think the dirt road is a nuisance, but definately passable in a two wheel drive car.....

Her454
11-03-2007, 07:51 PM
been there twice.....once as a kid and once as an adult. loved it both times. i think the dirt road is a nuisance, but definately passable in a two wheel drive car.....
Hi stranger............... thanks for the info..... gonna go as soon as I can!

Havasu1986
11-03-2007, 08:55 PM
someone post a link please:)
Hello......Check post #21. :eek: :D You must be drinking. :eek: :D

Her454
11-04-2007, 06:47 AM
Just google "Bodie" and you'll get tons of stuff.
First time I was there was 1958 and you could still climb thru all of the old buildings, some mines, the crushers and mills. When they declared it a historic monument then the ranger station was put in and the buildings were closed to touristas. We were back in there one winter huntin critters and got snowed in. Holed up for 2 days before we made it back to Bridgeport. We weren't tryin too hard to get gone. LOL
Read up on the history of Bodie as it is very interesting. If you imagine the weight of the machinery that's back there and the fact that those ol' boys had to haul it in it's really quite amazing. Those people were tough, not like us pussies of today! LOL:D
Probably got some of the old pics from the sixties thru this year and the weather is taking a toll on the buildings and what not. See if I can find them.
Rio
Rio, the same with a portion of the old plank road that still exists (or I hope so anyway) out in the dunes from El Centro to Yuma. The pioneers used to travel that road by horse & Buggy, stagecoach, etc. NO AIR CONDITIONING. There was quite a bit of that old road up until people started stealing portions of it and then they closed it off. Haven't seen it in years but the last time I was there it was still there and closed off for protection and preservation.
Tough old pioneers back then, but you do what you have to do. :D

westair
11-04-2007, 07:08 AM
If you have time walk up to the graveyard, its up on a hill a little out of the way but worth it if you like history. A lot of people buried there that they talk about in the town, most died very young and alot from the wrong end of a gun.

Her454
11-04-2007, 08:06 AM
If you have time walk up to the graveyard, its up on a hill a little out of the way but worth it if you like history. A lot of people buried there that they talk about in the town, most died very young and alot from the wrong end of a gun.
Like Boot Hill in Tombstone......... :D very cool.

Riomouse911
11-04-2007, 09:20 AM
I took the oldest kiddo through Bodie one Summer about 4 years back, and drove the back road into Bridgeport in a 2x4 F250. We left Bodie, drove through Bridgeport, then climbed the pass and spent the late afternoon soaking at Grover Hot Springs in Markleeville. Really neat stuff, just bring some warm clothes and a sense of adventure.

Her454
11-12-2007, 04:25 PM
Was up in the area on Sat and took this pic for you Angie.... it's not much but it's Mark Twain's Cabin, a historical landmark near New Melones Lake.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/139MarkTwain1.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/139MarkTwain2.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/139MarkTwain3.jpg
Can't really get any shots of the inside its so dark and the fence obscures the minimal view you have with a camera but there is a an old desk and the fireplace basically.
This is the view a short distance from the cabin. The lake is New Melones but unfortunately all there was back then was a canyon............ :D :D

Debbolas
11-12-2007, 04:44 PM
:D Is Bodie that place in AZ where they feed the wild burro's beer?
Deb<-----------Met Mark Twain yesterday, :D seriously, this guy named Mark Twain came into the store, and when I mentioned how unusual his name was, he said he had NEVER read any of Mr. Twain's books:jawdrop: :jawdrop:

Her454
11-12-2007, 04:46 PM
Deb<-----------Met Mark Twain yesterday, :D seriously, this guy named Mark Twain came into the store, and when I mentioned how unusual his name was, he said he had NEVER read any of Mr. Twain's books:jawdrop: :jawdrop:
:eek: With a name like that, I can't believe he wouldn't read at least something that he wrote........:D

Debbolas
11-12-2007, 05:02 PM
:eek: With a name like that, I can't believe he wouldn't read at least something that he wrote........:D
I was in shock:jawdrop:

Rexone
11-12-2007, 05:33 PM
No. Bodie is in California.
You are likely thinking of Oatman.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
11-12-2007, 06:41 PM
Was up in the area on Sat and took this pic for you Angie.... it's not much but it's Mark Twain's Cabin, a historical landmark near New Melones Lake.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/139MarkTwain1.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/139MarkTwain2.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/139MarkTwain3.jpg
Can't really get any shots of the inside its so dark and the fence obscures the minimal view you have with a camera but there is a an old desk and the fireplace basically.
This is the view a short distance from the cabin. The lake is New Melones but unfortunately all there was back then was a canyon............ :D :D
That's cool. I wonder if the fireplace is original? The "Roughing It" book talks about Gillis. He is one person I would have liked to have met. The building that he worked at for the newspaper in Virginia City is still there. You can go downstairs and see where he worked. I think that's where I bought the book.
Deb, I can't believe that Mark Twain had never read any of his books. Not even Tom Sawyer? What a wierdo! :D

Her454
11-13-2007, 09:14 AM
That's cool. I wonder if the fireplace is original? The "Roughing It" book talks about Gillis. He is one person I would have liked to have met. The building that he worked at for the newspaper in Virginia City is still there. You can go downstairs and see where he worked. I think that's where I bought the book.
Deb, I can't believe that Mark Twain had never read any of his books. Not even Tom Sawyer? What a wierdo! :D
HOLY SHIT.....Where did your signature come from...that totally f'd up!:mad: :mad:
Originally Posted by Boatsnblondes
Well, coming from a no life school marm with nothing better to do than check spelling on nearly every post on this site, and irritate the hell out people in the process, I give you the award for most hypocrisy on this board..before you come on here and critisize me, clean up your own focked up act...I'm so sick of you I can't stand it....how the hell does your hubby do it?

My Man's Sportin' Wood
11-13-2007, 11:56 AM
HOLY SHIT.....Where did your signature come from...that totally f'd up!:mad: :mad:
Originally Posted by Boatsnblondes
Well, coming from a no life school marm with nothing better to do than check spelling on nearly every post on this site, and irritate the hell out people in the process, I give you the award for most hypocrisy on this board..before you come on here and critisize me, clean up your own focked up act...I'm so sick of you I can't stand it....how the hell does your hubby do it?
That's okay, I got a good laugh out of it. That's not the first time he has come out and attacked me personally. I think I get more laughs out of him than anyone else on the board. Plus, I baited him, intentionally :devil:

Her454
11-13-2007, 12:15 PM
That's okay, I got a good laugh out of it. That's not the first time he has come out and attacked me personally. I think I get more laughs out of him than anyone else on the board. Plus, I baited him, intentionally :devil:
For someone that doesn't like to get personal....:rolleyes: I read that thread and a few more of his posts as well. :eek:
I think you are the devil in high heels. :D Just don't correct my spelling or I'll have to do a fly by. :D :D

Debbolas
11-13-2007, 05:29 PM
I know !:jawdrop:
No. Bodie is in California.
You are likely thinking of Oatman.
Oatman! Thanks ! :D