PDA

View Full Version : Computer problem

phebus
03-02-2006, 02:23 PM
I have a Dell laptop that I am going to get rid of. In order to remove any files and personal information I might have on it, I decided to reformat it.
Well, when it finished reinstalling Windows XP, the display just fills the center of the screen with a large black border around it. I went to control panel, and chose display, but can't change the display size to fit the screen.
Ideas?

THATJEFFGUY
03-02-2006, 02:30 PM
Hey, you got yourself a new Dell doorstop now !!

phebus
03-02-2006, 02:31 PM
I'm thinking of it as more of a frisbee now... :mad:

mickeyfinn
03-02-2006, 02:35 PM
you either have the wrong display driver (monitor) or the wrong video adapter driver. Check with Dell's website for updated winxp drivers.

OGShocker
03-02-2006, 02:36 PM
I'm thinking of it as more of a frisbee now... :mad:
Hit Ctrl+W Then follow the instructions below.
To change the screen size for connections
In the Remote Desktop Connection window, click Options.
On the Display tab, under Remote desktop size, drag the slider to choose the size of your remote desktop. Drag the slider all the way to the right for full screen.
Click Connect.
Notes
To open Remote Desktop Connection, click Start, point to Programs or All Programs, point to Accessories, point to Communications, and then click Remote Desktop Connection.
When you click Connect, the information you have entered in Options becomes the default setting for all Remote Desktop connections and is saved in a file called Default.rdp. To create connections with different or connection-specific options, see Save your connection settings to a file.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
03-02-2006, 02:37 PM
if you have the discs that came with the puter, there is a blue one that has the drivers on it that were factory installed. i had the same issue and it is easy to fix (if you have that disc!!).

572Daytona
03-02-2006, 02:40 PM
It sounds like you need to download a video driver for it. Go to dell.com and you should be able to download the driver you need based on the model number of the laptop. While you are at it you probably will want to get the other drivers, i.e. sound, modem, network card, usb, etc. Laptops typically need custom drivers that aren't included in XP. If you are loading from and XP disc that is not at the SP1 or SP2 level, make sure that before you connect it to the internet you enable the firewall on the modem or network card or have a 3rd party firewall or are using a router with a firewall built in. Otherwise you will get the infected by a worm the second you connect. Once you get a firewall, go out to windowsupdate.microsoft.com and get all of the latest patches. That could take a while depending on how old your XP disc is.

phebus
03-02-2006, 02:41 PM
It's the Window's disc that came with the computer, I would think it had the right drivers.
Hitting ctrl+w does nothing
Help!!!, I have someone that wants this computer.

topless
03-02-2006, 03:05 PM
It's the Window's disc that came with the computer, I would think it had the right drivers.
Hitting ctrl+w does nothing
Help!!!, I have someone that wants this computer.You mean you HAD someone who wanted it.

MagicMtnDan
03-02-2006, 03:09 PM
Go to a Laker game and throw it at your favorite player :)
Why should he waste money on Lakers tickets when he needs it to buy a new computer? :yuk:

Biglue
03-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Go to a Laker game and throw it at your favorite player :)
Why should he waste money on Lakers tickets when he needs it to buy a new computer? :yuk:
LMAO. That there is fokn hilarious.

phebus
03-02-2006, 03:30 PM
O.K. I found the disc that came with it for - Drivers, utilities and Applications.
Can that get me what I need? If so, how?

phebus
03-02-2006, 04:54 PM
Never mind. I didn't think I could do it with my bad back, but I was able to hurl the computer all the way from my back yard to past the women's tee's.
Now a good three wood, and a wedge, and I'll be putting. :rollside:

EliminatorJet
03-02-2006, 06:01 PM
See if you have this option in your monitor settings:
http://www.huntingtonbeachmc.com/webimages/monitor.jpg
From a Dell Inspiron 8200

phebus
03-02-2006, 06:15 PM
Too late.......... :skull:

BoatFloating
03-02-2006, 07:10 PM
I have a Dell laptop that I am going to get rid of. In order to remove any files and personal information I might have on it, I decided to reformat it.
Well, when it finished reinstalling Windows XP, the display just fills the center of the screen with a large black border around it. I went to control panel, and chose display, but can't change the display size to fit the screen.
Ideas?
I'd say operator error...... :cry:

phebus
03-02-2006, 08:45 PM
I'd say operator error...... :cry:
I agree, but I feel much better now.
:)