PDA

View Full Version : Carb Rebuild

rsr
08-28-2003, 06:31 AM
Running 4 barrel carter on my 454. Last couple trips having trouble with carb. 1st time engine would fire but die right away, float maybe stuck? Pulled off carb shook it around, put it back on, ran the whole weekend fine. Died one more time after a long idle through gasoline alley. Next trip, ran like shit first time out. Backfiring like a mother, wanting to die. Pulled over, pulled off carb, shook it out again, back on ran ok for first five minutes, couple of backfires, but worked itself out and ran great the rest of the weekend. Only other problem was a die again after long idle through london bridge. Looking to replace floats, question where to get rebuild kit in So Cal/Orange County area? Tried around and can't find any. Think the rebuild will solve problem? Any and all help much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Taylorman
08-28-2003, 06:58 AM
Those are so easy to rebuild. Rebuild kit is about $30. I have rebuilt 2 edelbrocks and can now do it with my eyes closed.

SeaYaBye
08-28-2003, 07:06 AM
rsr...sounds like there are just some "cooties" floating around in the carb bowl. Take the top off and clean them out also check the needle and seat when you have got it apart. As for floats, if they're those black solid types they might be saturated or if there metal[brass] they might have a leak. If the black ones, junk them as they don't like to sit idle for long[if you can find others] You might as well get that rebuild kit and replace parts as you go...how old is this carb?? Usually it just turns out to be some hunk of shit in the bowl that floats around and sticks in the needle and seat for a minute[long enough to piss you off] thats why shaking it dislodged it and it ran ok for a while. You'd be amazed the crap that gets by even the best filters.[must be that Iraqi gas] Good luck with your efforts!! T.R.C. :cool:

rsr
08-28-2003, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the help so far guys - Any leads on where to get the kits in So Cal - Haven't had any luck so far. Thanks again

rsr
08-28-2003, 07:52 AM
Seaya - Is it easy to find rebuild kits with the brass floats? Is there a marine specific rebuild kit or are they all the same?

Moneypitt
08-28-2003, 08:45 AM
The kit, floats, accelerator pump and just about anything else you need for the cater afb type carb,(sq bore) can be found at PAW, under the edlebrock brand....The idea that your problems are related to crap in the bowls re-entering the needle/seat area won't fly. However, dirt in the incoming fuel can, and will, cause the needles failure to close. Different fuel filters allow different amounts, and sizes, of crap to enter the carb. The idea of "shaking" the carb only serves to release the tension on the needle that a full bowl exerts, via the floats. You can do the same thing by pinching off the hose,(engine running) and allowing the fuel level to drop, releasing the tension on the needle. When the pinch is released, the surge of fuel through the needles will clean them out. It might be necessary to flush the tank clean, try running the fuel into a bucket, thru a "T" shirt, and see how much shit is in the gas..Beware that "dock" gas is filthy! Rust, dirt, condensation, and general poor quality is the octane of the day at MOST water side fuel stops, try to avoid buying gas at the lake/river.. My .02...Moneypitt

Danhercules
08-28-2003, 08:50 AM
Try Hot Rods in Nocro off Hamner. He has gotten everything I have ever needed.