PDA

View Full Version : ???Laptop Wireless Internet Service???

spectratoad
11-04-2007, 09:31 AM
I have a question for all the more knowledeable than I out there.
I am headed to Ensenada next Thursday and am wondering what I can do for internet service if the hotel doesn't have it?
Is there a good, economical way to get internet service on the fly?
Thanks for the help. :D

Havasu1986
11-04-2007, 09:32 AM
Verizon wireless card. :confused:

spectratoad
11-04-2007, 09:35 AM
:) I was thinking of going that route but wasn't sure who is the good, bad or the ugly.

Trailer Park Casanova
11-04-2007, 09:36 AM
Verizon wireless card. :confused:
There it is, Verizon brother.
Swing by their store, they'll dial you in instantly.
The new cards are SUPER powerful BTW.

Ziggy
11-04-2007, 09:40 AM
There it is, Verizon brother.
Swing by their store, they'll dial you in instantly.
The new cards are SUPER powerful BTW.
Is that a satelite connection or do you have to be within a cell service for it to work?:confused:

Havasu1986
11-04-2007, 09:41 AM
Check out lalhc profile. He sells Sprint air cards. ;)

Boozer
11-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Before you go dumping money on a Verizon or sprint aircard you need to check to make sure that Ensenada even supports CDMA for data. A good majority of Mexico is strictly GSM for data.
Also, the power of that Verizon card won't do you much good unless Ensenada is a 3G network which I don't believe it is. I am guessing they have Edge down there by now but 3G is VERY doubtful.
Make sure to check the international roaming rates as well. Most carriers charge 2-3 cents a kb for international data. AT&T offers a plan for $110.00 monthly that allows you 100 mb of data while roaming internationally and unlimited data domestically but you have to contract for one year to that specific plan so if this is only a one time deal I would look into other options for internet access, like an internet cafe for example which there are plenty of in Ensenada.

Baja Big Dog
11-04-2007, 01:03 PM
The Verizon cards dont work in Ensanada, just go to the San Nicolas, they have internet in the lobby.

Trailer Park Casanova
11-04-2007, 01:53 PM
When we signed up for Verizon, they told us they offer cruise ship roaming and temporary or monthly plans for Mexico at that time.
We didn't check on price, and they did mention Mexico was changing their system, so like Boozer mentioned, support may not be available.
But, check with Verizon or any other service, and be sure to be eyes wide open on the cost per minutes. It ain't cheap.

spectratoad
11-04-2007, 02:15 PM
I think I may just look for an internet cafe for now. Check more later when I get time. We will be racing down there a few times a year. Thanks for that info though.

Baja Big Dog
11-04-2007, 03:04 PM
When we signed up for Verizon, they told us they offer cruise ship roaming and temporary or monthly plans for Mexico at that time.
We didn't check on price, and they did mention Mexico was changing their system, so like Boozer mentioned, support may not be available.
But, check with Verizon or any other service, and be sure to be eyes wide open on the cost per minutes. It ain't cheap.
I would not rely on Verizon, they are not too up to speed on phones in Mexico!!:D

Boozer
11-04-2007, 03:41 PM
I would not rely on Verizon, they are not too up to speed on phones in Mexico!!:D
Verizon is a great carrier if you are not needing services internationally. They now offer a few phones that from what I understand they charge a boat load of money for and reffer to as "world phones." Essentially these world phones are hybrid devices set up to work on CDMA when here in the states and they roam on GSM when in other countries.
If international travel is something you do often you should really consider another provider like AT&T or T-Mobile. Both carriers are GSM domestically and internationally, you don't need any special world phones to roam. All but maybe 1 or 2 phones in both carriers line ups are quad band gsm phones and can work almost everywhere in the world.

Hallett19
11-04-2007, 05:56 PM
Check out Telcel!