PDA

View Full Version : reinstalling gas tank

slotracer
11-04-2007, 03:44 PM
my left side tank came loose. i pulled it out and all the boat builder did
was install it then used a little bit of what looks like just resin on the outside lip. what would be the best way to reinstall it?

GAWnCA
11-04-2007, 03:52 PM
You have too many toys!!! :D I have read where someone made some wooden wedges for under the bottom of the tank and wedged it up into place and then glassed the tank to the bottom. I may do this with my Miller when I get to that point. My right one is held in place by the back bench seat and the battery and the left one isn't much better.

468miller
11-05-2007, 07:55 PM
spend the cash and have the whole tank glassed in real thick and firm, i put new tanks in mine, just cuz i wanted more fuel capacity, and the old ones were shit. I HAD A TANK COME OUT OF A BOAT A FEW YEARS AGO AND RUNIED MY LABOR DAY WEEKEND. i know im putting way to much money into my boat, everyone tells me to stop, but hey its what i like.......:D , but seriously pay the few hundred bucks and have em glassed in, before you do dump a gallon of simple green in the tanks and let em sit an hour then swish it around, then let sit and rinse em out, you will be amazed they will look and shine like new:D

GAWnCA
11-05-2007, 07:59 PM
spend the cash and have the whole tank glassed in real thick and firm, i put new tanks in mine, just cuz i wanted more fuel capacity, and the old ones were shit. I HAD A TANK COME OUT OF A BOAT A FEW YEARS AGO AND RUNIED MY LABOR DAY WEEKEND. i know im putting way to much money into my boat, everyone tells me to stop, but hey its what i like.......:D , but seriously pay the few hundred bucks and have em glassed in, before you do dump a gallon of simple green in the tanks and let em sit an hour then swish it around, then let sit and rinse em out, you will be amazed they will look and shine like new:D
Dang It 468 - Now I'm going to have to do that too. Naw, I'll wait until I do the complete restore on the hull. I'll wedge the loose one in with some wood and glass and get this thing wet before winter really set in.
Jrork is going to get really tired of me asking him questions. :D :D :D

n8dawg
11-05-2007, 08:19 PM
I glassed mine back in after they came loose. Piece of cake. They aren't coming loose anymore, I'll tell you that!

GAWnCA
11-05-2007, 08:33 PM
I glassed mine back in after they came loose. Piece of cake. They aren't coming loose anymore, I'll tell you that!
Did you take any photos?

n8dawg
11-06-2007, 02:07 PM
Did you take any photos?
Nope, sorry no photos.

slotracer
11-06-2007, 07:12 PM
what all did you use to glass the tanks back in?:idea:

468miller
11-07-2007, 04:34 PM
resin.matting..........:idea:

DelawareDave
11-23-2007, 10:38 AM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42418&d=1194219837
Nice knucklehead H/D. I had a 2 into 1 pipe like that on a panhead, years ago. First time out, couldn't stand the sound. :( Put a set of drag pipes on when I got back to the shop. :D

slotracer
11-24-2007, 09:16 AM
that pipe is the one and only knuckehead thunder header. the guy who built my engine son was going out with the owner of rich products daughter and we were able to get him to bend the pipes after i bought a used header. it does sound good:D