PDA

View Full Version : Hot boat write ups?

boatsntoys
11-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Like I said earlier, I'm new here and wanting to buy a boat. Trying to digest as much info as I can in a short time, so I can buy the proper boat for my needs before the next season hits. A buddie of mine has brough me his Hot boat collection with all the Mfg. write ups. I noticed that some of the companies they write about in the older issues are not even in business anymore??? The articles sound as if the company was gods gift to boating, and then gone? How much faith should I put on these tests, and the particular strength of the company they are writing about?

Havasu1986
11-05-2007, 12:26 PM
Hot Boat has a magazine. :D Had to do it. Its a joke newbie. :)

dc96819
11-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Its like going into a candy store:D
All depends how much your going to spend and what size

Throttle
11-05-2007, 12:33 PM
do your research and make your decision after the LA boat show, my .02... be sure to come by and introduce yourself, I will be at Cobra...:D

boatsntoys
11-05-2007, 12:35 PM
With business being so tough. I don't want to end up with a boat whose company is not there in the near future, as I'm sure that will affect it's value.
More confusion added to my boat search.:confused:

boatsntoys
11-05-2007, 12:42 PM
do your research and make your decision after the LA boat show, my .02... be sure to come by and introduce yourself, I will be at Cobra...:D
You guys definately have some of the nicest boats I've seen, you place is immaculate. It's reflected in the price. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they are not worth it. I just don't have the money for a new Cobra, Elminator, DCB....................... I'll stop and hi, but it will have to be a quick goodby,lol. Thanks for your input

whiteworks
11-05-2007, 12:44 PM
will this be your first boat?
what kind of boat do you think you want?
where will you be boating lake/river/ocean?
will you be towing it alot/do you have the right truck to tow it?
I would take a good look at these questions above and really figure out what you need VS. what you want. I wouldnt be in a rush to buy a new boat right now considering there are some really nice used boats on the market for great prices. try and negotiate while its raining like a mofo right before christmas. and the straight truth is the best boat is a freinds boat:D

SB
11-05-2007, 12:46 PM
Boating mags don't do comparison tests like Car & Driver. In addition to HB, look through some other boating mags.
Ride on some other boats, make a list of what you like and don't like.
Tell us what you are looking for.
Houseboat, pontoon, 18' foot v drive 1000 hp, family jet?

boatsntoys
11-05-2007, 12:49 PM
will this be your first boat?
what kind of boat do you think you want?
where will you be boating lake/river/ocean?
will you be towing it alot/do you have the right truck to tow it?
I would take a good look at these questions above and really figure out what you need VS. what you want. I wouldnt be in a rush to buy a new boat right now considering there are some really nice used boats on the market for great prices. try and negotiate while its raining like a mofo right before christmas. and the straight truth is the best boat is a freinds boat:D
We've been boating with friends for years. Seams that when we ask to go for a ride or ski, they always have to do something else first, even when the boat has been sitting on the beach for hours. So...next year we want our own! had an 18' southwind 15 years ago, go mostly to the colorado river, Want a little higher sided 24'-26', got a 3500 silverado diesel to tow. ANy input is helpful, thanks

Froggystyle
11-05-2007, 12:51 PM
Short answer... there isn't a way to qualify it.
The tests are honest, but you need to be good at reading between the lines. If you hear a lot of talk about equipment on the boat... the boat probably is unremarkable...
The way I see it, if the mag spends more time talking about Dana hardware, Merc power, steering components, drives etc... then handling, performance, value or utility... they probably didn't have anything to talk about on those other criteria.
Beware of qualified phrasing like "respectable" or "adequate" with regard to quality or performance. The market is so far down right now, you shouldn't have to settle in either of those areas.
Lastly, spend the time comparing apples to apples if you can. Decide what kind of speed you want to run, what kind of performance you are looking for, or what sort of economy, utility, seating, rough water handling etc... you are looking for in the first place and use those as criteria... and don't veer from them. If you want it all... now is the time when you can get it for less than ever.
Just my .02
Wes

voodoomedman
11-05-2007, 12:52 PM
We've been boating with friends for years. Seams that when we ask to go for a ride or ski, they always have to do something else first, even when the boat has been sitting on the beach for hours. So...next year we want our own! had an 18' southwind 15 years ago, go mostly to the colorado river, Want a little higher sided 24'-26', got a 3500 silverado diesel to tow. ANy input is helpful, thanks
Do you have a price range your looking at??????

phebus
11-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Other than exposing you to the different manufacturers and different types of boats, ***boat magazine would be worthless in deciding on a boat to buy. I've yet to read an evaluation on a boat that was no more then a bunch of fluff. Every boat they evaluate is a good boat in their eyes.
With that said, the magazine is under new ownership, and we will have to see what the future brings. Hopefully future evaluations will be harder hitting.

Kilrtoy
11-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Other than exposing you to the different manufacturers and different types of boats, ***boat magazine would be worthless in deciding on a boat to buy. I've yet to read an evaluation on a boat that was no more then a bunch of fluff. Every boat they evaluate is a good boat in their eyes.
With that said, the magazine is under new ownership, and we will have to see what the future brings. Hopefully future evaluations will be harder hitting.
WOW, tell us how you really feel, I agree with the old angry bastard thou.

djunkie
11-05-2007, 12:57 PM
I agree but as long as the builders are buying add space in the magazine I doubt you will ever see any negative reactions to the boats they evaluate. :idea: :D :D

boatsntoys
11-05-2007, 01:00 PM
Do you have a price range your looking at??????
50,000. MAX MAX MAX MAX would be 60,000 including tax and license. Wish I had more like many of you, but I just don't:(

phebus
11-05-2007, 01:01 PM
I agree but as long as the builders are buying add space in the magazine I doubt you will ever see any negative reactions to the boats they evaluate. :idea: :D :D
Then they shouldn't bother with evaluations. Just do write ups on boats, glorify them, and take their advertising money to the bank.

Josh4Repos
11-05-2007, 01:02 PM
Here are a couple of boats that I have right now. Both are companies that have been around for a long time.
2002 Baja 232 Islander. Merc 6.2L (320HP) Bravo One. $32,500
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c62/Josh1976/MVC-001S-1.jpg
1994 Eliminator 250 Eagle Closed Bow. Merc 502MAG (415HP) Bravo One $29,900
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c62/Josh1976/Pic1.jpg
PM for more info.

voodoomedman
11-05-2007, 01:07 PM
50,000. MAX MAX MAX MAX would be 60,000 including tax and license. Wish I had more like many of you, but I just don't:(Then depending on what you are looking for you might be able to find something in that range. Well more the 60 max max max new. And something under the 50 new depending on what you look at.
Two that come to mind right off that you may be able to work out that 60 price is the Ultra 24 Stealth and the Shockwave 25 Magnatude. I don't think either company will be going anywhere soon and they are nice family boats and you should get good service. There are probably a few more at least but that's all I can think of off the top of my head right now.

Keith E. Sayre
11-05-2007, 01:09 PM
It's a very tough situation for the editors of H B or Powerboat or whoever.
The very boat manufactrurer that they're reporting on is also the same
people buying up the advertising space etc.
If HB rags too hard on anyone, they fear that they would lose the money
that pays their bills. Very hard to be 100% objective when doing so could
put you out of business.
Keith Sayre
PS--just spent a couple of days with Chris Davidson (former editor of Hot Boat).. New upcoming company called "Performance Boats" was doing
boat tests at cottonwood Cove this past week. Lots of the same familiar
faces there (that's a good thing)! Very well run op, with Chris at the helm,
Greg Shoemaker, Gary Taylor,Fernando Escovar, Kevin Spaise, Jim Wilkes, even Havasu's own Todd Taylor!

Josh4Repos
11-05-2007, 01:11 PM
50,000. MAX MAX MAX MAX would be 60,000 including tax and license. Wish I had more like many of you, but I just don't:(
2004 Nordic 28 Heat. Merc 496HO Bravo One. Nice boat! BANK REPO! Asking $60,000, but you can always make an offer!!!
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c62/Josh1976/MVC-010S.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c62/Josh1976/MVC-011S.jpg

voodoomedman
11-05-2007, 01:12 PM
2004 Nordic 28 Heat. Merc 496HO Bravo One. Nice boat! BANK REPO! Asking $60,000, but you can always make an offer!!!
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c62/Josh1976/MVC-010S.jpg
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c62/Josh1976/MVC-011S.jpg
Suddenly I feel like eating some SPAM!

Josh4Repos
11-05-2007, 01:15 PM
New upcoming company called "Performance Boats" was doing
boat tests at cottonwood Cove this past week.
Cottonwood? Really? It's surprising to hear that they were testing at Mojave. Not too many performance boaters out there. My favorite place in the world though.

n8dawg
11-05-2007, 01:15 PM
You guys definately have some of the nicest boats I've seen, you place is immaculate. It's reflected in the price. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they are not worth it. I just don't have the money for a new Cobra, Elminator, DCB....................... I'll stop and hi, but it will have to be a quick goodby,lol. Thanks for your input
Check out www.millercustumboats.com
They are a proven company. Been around for years!

Josh4Repos
11-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Suddenly I feel like eating some SPAM!
Sorry guys, just trying to help a fellow boater out.

Havasu_Dreamin
11-05-2007, 01:30 PM
This is not an exhaustive list of questions by any means but it may work as a jumping off point.....
Ask yourself these questions:
1. Where do you plan to do most of your boating?
Topock up to Needles and Laughlin? May want to consider a jet boat due to the river being shallower North of Needles unless you know the river like the back of your hand. Topock down to Havasu springs? Can pretty much run anything there. The Parker strip? Again you need to the river well to avoid some of the shallow spots. Big River down to Blythe? Almost exclusively jets.
2. What do you plan to do when boating?
You going to want to water-ski? tube? wakeboard? Find a cove and just chill out?
3. How many peeps will you have with you usually?
If you're only going to take 4-5 peeps total, a closed bow may work, more than that on a regular basis you'll probably want an open bow.
4. What are you looking for in terms of quality? Do you care that everything is thru-bolted? Do you care if the hull has some type of coring to it? Do you want a kickass stereo system?
You can ask all of the questions you want and there are plenty of us on here that will answer them.
The thing to remember is that there a plenty of people on here that think their boat is the absolute best boat money can buy, that's called cheerleading, especially when they are way off base. There are reasons that two similarly sized and equipped boats may be as much as $20k apart in price, and it aint all profit. You get what you pay for. The boat industry is like any other industry, there is a definite tier as to who is at the top and who is at the bottom. Not everyone will agree on who is where either. Pick out which boats you like, based on the lines, and the functionality of it's amenities, how it's built , or because YOU think they have great graphics. Bottom line, get the boat that will work best for YOU.
Go to each and every builder you are interested in and take a tour of the factory. If they won't show you how they make the boat, leave. See how the boats are actually built. How do they lay the glass up? Do they use multiple layers of the same type of glass, such as only random directional glass, or do they use multiple layers of different types of glass, bi-directional, tri-directional, quadaxial? Is all of the hardware thru-bolted or do they just screw it into the fiberglass? Does the boat have full-length stringers or not? Are the screws on the underside of the ski locker capped off so you don't scrape your hand or your skis or wakeboard?
Ultimately, you're the one that will have to make the payments and be happy with your boat so you need to get the boat that fits your needs the best.

boatsntoys
11-05-2007, 01:39 PM
Thanks for all the input guys! I gotta go back to work now. I can't believe I've on these boards for 5 hours:eek: Be checking back in this evening.
Thanks again

voodoomedman
11-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Forgetting about Hot Boat for the moment... why worry about the manufacturer being in business? The only thing he really builds is the hull. All the rigging and drive components come from suppliers. After the warranty goes the boat manufacturer is outta the loop.
In the long long term maybe but in the shorter long term I think you are wrong. A hull warranty is usually 7 years. So what happens if after 5 you start to delaminate but the builder is out of business? Of course a reputable manufacturer who has been around and will still be around shouldn't be delaminating and if it did then it would be fixed or replaced. The shop also does all the interior and warrants that as well. And while most of the hardware comes from suppliers sometimes you cannot get something fixed yourself but a call to the supplier from one of their large customer boat manufacturers might help to resolve some issues. And sometimes just because your a good customer or you bought your boat from some really cool peeps they will take care of something for you and take it in the shorts even though it isn't really their problem.

DeltaSigBoater
11-05-2007, 01:49 PM
Thanks for all the input guys! I gotta go back to work now. I can't believe I've on these boards for 5 hours:eek: Be checking back in this evening.
Thanks again
Addacting isn't it? :D

boatsntoys
11-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Forgetting about Hot Boat for the moment... why worry about the manufacturer being in business? The only thing he really builds is the hull. All the rigging and drive components come from suppliers. After the warranty goes the boat manufacturer is outta the loop.
My advice?
#1 Figure the water you want to run on.
#2 figure out how many you want to seat...and how many you want to carry around.
#3 Figure out how fast you want to go. Check insurance costs with drive types and HP...you may want to revise #2 and #3
Once narrowed ask use again. I'm sure we'll have a neat concise answer...:D
I would think the hull and which company rigged the boat are a pretty important part of retaining the value of the boat as well as value of all the other components that went into it. As far as them going out of business. How would you gauge the value if there is no new price to compair it against?
I understand your comment. with one hundred points to assign. How many would I give to:
Brand of boat
Engine package (I know it depends on size of boat)
Color and grapics of boat (many of you here have knocked the colors on a boat I was interested in}
I know there are many other factors I need to rate for my own personal needs.
But these 3 seem to be very important to all of you as it comes up in remarks all the time.

Baja Big Dog
11-05-2007, 02:42 PM
Sorry guys, just trying to help a fellow boater out.
Its called opportunity...dont apologize, I applaud your "seizing the moment"!:D

boatsntoys
11-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Well, everyone was selectively kind here. No hard opinions on ther write ups either way. If you bag on Hot Boat do those monitors delete you or your comment ?

whiteworks
11-05-2007, 04:37 PM
If you bag on Hot Boat do those monitors delete you or your comment ?
You dont want to go there.:D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJCa6Bp6vOo

boatsntoys
11-05-2007, 04:54 PM
You dont want to go there.:D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJCa6Bp6vOo
I see.....cheers to Hot Boat, what a great magazine!

Daddy_G
11-05-2007, 05:22 PM
Here's my 2 cents:
Once you know what kind of boat you want to accomplish your boating objectives and you're drilling down manufacturers. Come back to the Sandbox here and try to find all the negative stuff you can about them.
I recently upgraded deck boats from a 24' Cheetah to a a 28' Shockwave.
There are a ton of 28' deck boats out there and my decisions became much easier when I could not find a single negative reply about Shockwave from these fine posters.
Opinions are like assholes, we all have one but you gotta sift through the stinky ones to find one you you like - whoa that was freakin' deep! :eek:
Best of luck in your decisions. ;)

MR.rvrluvr
11-05-2007, 05:48 PM
there is a guy on here that builds a nice 21 footer...with nice power....DCM...I think....donohue custom marine.....look like real quality boats....nice all around boat...I don't know what they cost but i would guess they are not crazy prices like some.....good luck on the decision.....
boat show is only 3 months away....usually find good deals on used around this time cause everyone is selling to buy new....

MADDOG355
11-05-2007, 06:41 PM
there is a guy on here that builds a nice 21 footer...with nice power....DCM...I think....donohue custom marine.....look like real quality boats....nice all around boat...I don't know what they cost but i would guess they are not crazy prices like some.....good luck on the decision.....
boat show is only 3 months away....usually find good deals on used around this time cause everyone is selling to buy new....
Badblown572 is the man,
http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167052
Check that thread.
It really just boils down to what YOU like/want. It is a buyers market so you should be able to find a nice boat for your money. Don't rule out the pontoons and deck boats, (you can never have enought room if you have kids).

Xlration Marine
11-05-2007, 08:03 PM
The quality of print that one gets from hot boat has a direct effect on how much money is spent on add's and the size of the add. Look back in the mid 90's. Fountain never placed an add untill it was time to get an award. At that time they would have a six page add, and get boat of the year. The old saying is win on sunday and sell on monday. There are some builders that build a piece of kachina opps I mean chit, and get good print cuz he buy's an add every month. Nordic builds a good boat and word of moth sold them back in the day, not an add in hot boat. For instance, honda won truck of the year??? Thats a piece of chit, trucks have V8's not a 6 banger. But honda has money. Are you starting to get it. Take what hot boat has to say with a grain of salt. Look around this forum and see the issues that these kind people have with their boats. Yes there are many opionions but I'm sure you will wead out the bad ones. Good luck.

boatsntoys
11-06-2007, 08:05 AM
It's a very tough situation for the editors of H B or Powerboat or whoever.
The very boat manufactrurer that they're reporting on is also the same
people buying up the advertising space etc.
If HB rags too hard on anyone, they fear that they would lose the money
that pays their bills. Very hard to be 100% objective when doing so could
put you out of business.
Keith Sayre
PS--just spent a couple of days with Chris Davidson (former editor of Hot Boat).. New upcoming company called "Performance Boats" was doing
boat tests at cottonwood Cove this past week. Lots of the same familiar
faces there (that's a good thing)! Very well run op, with Chris at the helm,
Greg Shoemaker, Gary Taylor,Fernando Escovar, Kevin Spaise, Jim Wilkes, even Havasu's own Todd Taylor!
Don't all those guys work at Hot Boat???? Would piss me off if employees go into competition against me while on my payroll?????

phebus
11-06-2007, 08:17 AM
Don't all those guys work at Hot Boat???? Would piss me off if employees go into competition against me while on my payroll?????
Ex employees. ***boat is under new ownership, and there was a changing of the guard.

boatsntoys
11-06-2007, 08:32 AM
I read somewhere here that, Davidson the former editor ,is the one who bought Hot Boat ???