PDA

View Full Version : Raylar

ekbearly
11-05-2007, 04:50 PM
How many of you have worked with Raylar in the past? What are/were your impressions or the experience? We threw a rod on our 496 and had them put their 525 kit on it. I want to see if our experience is similar to other's. Thanks!
Eric

soupersonic
11-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Ill bite, was it good for you?

ekbearly
11-05-2007, 05:11 PM
It hasn't been horrible, just a little under-whelming and a lot slower than I expected... among a few other customer service/communication related issues. Ray seems like a nice guy, but I have felt like an after-thought through the whole process. I was almost always the one calling to check in on progress, time-lines, etc.
I haven't gotten to run the engine yet. As soon as we tried to start the engine, it started throwing some codes and is locked in guardian mode. I am having Precision Offshore address whatever issues there may be. I hope they are minor.
I did some outside research, but have only seen four people on here who actually have the kit installed (Two obviously had a bad experience and two had good experiences). Outside of those four, I would love to hear from others as to how the build process went.
I know Ray had some personal issues with his associates/shop-workers, so that may have aggravated some of these issues. I want to know what to expect once I start running it from a reliability standpoint and a customer service standpoint. Thanks!
Eric

phebus
11-05-2007, 07:56 PM
Popcorn, get your popcorn here. :D

Moneypitt
11-05-2007, 08:04 PM
Popcorn, get your popcorn here. :D
You know, it might be a good idea to solicit PMs from others with experience in this area.....No public mud slinging, no public admiration, back slapping.. That way you get your info without the usual bullshit that goes with it.....Not to mention a better chance to get the straight poop in a private setting........Just an idea.......MP

shadow
11-05-2007, 09:12 PM
I haven't gotten to run the engine yet. As soon as we tried to start the engine, it started throwing some codes and is locked in guardian mode. I am having Precision Offshore address whatever issues there may be. I hope they are minor.
Eric
Check the cam sensor in the front timing cover.There are several different
timing covers and cam sensors & cam gears for the 496 depending on the year,it can be a cluster if you get one of the 3 switched and they WILL NOTwork properly!
Don't ask me how i know;) but if your engine has cam codes and the cover has been swapped during the rebuild process or the sensor has been swapped go with the original cover and sensor.
Good luck!

INSman
11-05-2007, 09:33 PM
I personally have have good luck with my 600's aside from a rocker nut issue and a very recent valve failure that I am guessing had nothing to do with Raylar or a Raylar part as my motors were built pretty much from the block on up with forged internals and such.
I threw a rod on a bone stock 496 Mag after only 30 hours prior to the Raylar upgrade, so pretty much anything can happen....

Quality Time
11-06-2007, 07:40 AM
How many of you have worked with Raylar in the past? What are/were your impressions or the experience? We threw a rod on our 496 and had them put their 525 kit on it. I want to see if our experience is similar to other's. Thanks!
Eric
I saw your motor at precision on a palet after they pulled it. Nordic, right?

Kachina26
11-06-2007, 07:57 AM
I personally have have good luck with my 600's aside from a rocker nut issue and a very recent valve failure that I am guessing had nothing to do with Raylar or a Raylar part as my motors were built pretty much from the block on up with forged internals and such.
I threw a rod on a bone stock 496 Mag after only 30 hours prior to the Raylar upgrade, so pretty much anything can happen....
Rocker nut issue on a Raylar? Must have been the shop that installed it. There are hundreds of kits world wide and none have reported rocker nut issues! Yeah focking right! Aside from fake tracking numbers and numerous lies about parts issues, I've had no problems with my kit:rolleyes: You won't see anybody post on this thread that hasn't had the same complaints as me. That's all I'm gonna say.

ekbearly
11-06-2007, 09:18 AM
Yes, it is a Nordic... and I'm sure that was our engine. We threw a rod in July and are just now finally getting the boat back. It was a long Summer. Was that your 32? Is it an SS? I love those boats.
I would appreciate PM's. I want to hear real input. I understand that every business will have one or two bad situations that occur over time. I want to get some sort of consensus or real info, not just bashing. I am feeling a little uneasy right now. Thanks!

Quality Time
11-06-2007, 09:41 AM
Yes, it is a Nordic... and I'm sure that was our engine. We threw a rod in July and are just now finally getting the boat back. It was a long Summer. Was that your 32? Is it an SS? I love those boats.
I would appreciate PM's. I want to hear real input. I understand that every business will have one or two bad situations that occur over time. I want to get some sort of consensus or real info, not just bashing. I am feeling a little uneasy right now. Thanks!
Yep, that was my 32 and no, it's not an SS. Sorry to hear about the motor.

Raylar
11-20-2007, 07:06 AM
Eric:
Why don't you post an update on your Raylar motor now. Might help to have readers with current information.
Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

WishIknew
11-20-2007, 07:15 AM
Eric:
Why don't you post an update on your Raylar motor now. Might help to have readers with current information.
Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Small world here You never know who's watching:) :)

voodoomedman
11-20-2007, 07:20 AM
Eric:
Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Because he's probably waiting at the door for someone to show up with his fake tracking #. :eek: :idea: :eek:

Mr. Crusader 83
11-20-2007, 07:23 AM
Check the cam sensor in the front timing cover.There are several different
timing covers and cam sensors & cam gears for the 496 depending on the year,it can be a cluster if you get one of the 3 switched and they WILL NOTwork properly!
Don't ask me how i know;) but if your engine has cam codes and the cover has been swapped during the rebuild process or the sensor has been swapped go with the original cover and sensor.
Good luck!
I wonder who had this problem. What a pain in the.... :jawdrop: :D

ekbearly
11-20-2007, 09:14 AM
At this point, the engine is running properly after 4 hours of testing and the last bit of paperwork I have been waiting for is in the mail from Ray. Right now, I am a happy customer.
I was averaging (496 Mag) around 63 mph at sea level on gps with 64-65 seen every once in a while. I am averaging around 69-70 right now with one spurt at 70.8. Once I get the prop worked out, I expect to see a few more mph.
Eric

It's Only Money
11-20-2007, 12:06 PM
At this point, the engine is running properly after 4 hours of testing and the last bit of paperwork I have been waiting for is in the mail from Ray. Right now, I am a happy customer.
I was averaging (496 Mag) around 63 mph at sea level on gps with 64-65 seen every once in a while. I am averaging around 69-70 right now with one spurt at 70.8. Once I get the prop worked out, I expect to see a few more mph.
Eric
Just curious at what you spent - if you care to share - for those extra MPH's? I am trying to decide what to do with my old tired motor - rebuild or replace and/or upgrade.

ekbearly
11-20-2007, 01:04 PM
We spent a little over $14k for the engine, labor, shipping. Adding a hydraulic assist was another $2,500.

justfloatn
11-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Eric
What year & model Nordic...25 Rage, 28 Heat??

ekbearly
11-20-2007, 02:52 PM
2003 28 Heat... It's for sale if you're looking :>
1 Year warranty from Raylar

stoker22405
11-20-2007, 03:36 PM
We spent a little over $14k for the engine, labor, shipping. Adding a hydraulic assist was another $2,500.
14k for 5mph....:confused:

WishIknew
11-20-2007, 03:48 PM
14k just for power another $2500 so he can turn safely :eek: :eek:

Quality Time
11-20-2007, 04:17 PM
See above. He threw a rod in the motor as well and assume the $14K includes this.

Baja Big Dog
11-20-2007, 10:25 PM
So what cheap focker!!!!:confused:

ekbearly
11-21-2007, 09:00 AM
We threw a rod so this package was not just the 6k add-on he has for a healthy 496. We would have had to spend $10-13k for a refurbished 496 HO or rebuild ours for close to 10k so it made sense to get the extra horses for a little more.

prosthogod
11-21-2007, 09:11 AM
Rocker nut issue on a Raylar? Must have been the shop that installed it. There are hundreds of kits world wide and none have reported rocker nut issues! Yeah focking right! Aside from fake tracking numbers and numerous lies about parts issues, I've had no problems with my kit:rolleyes: You won't see anybody post on this thread that hasn't had the same complaints as me. That's all I'm gonna say.
My buddies did this 2x. All Raylar issues. He finaly had larry peto rebuild the whole thing and sold it.

Raylar
11-21-2007, 09:42 AM
It really seems to be true that there is more negativity by some on the Hot Boat Forums for aftermarket marine performance manufacturers than any other forum site in the US.
Obviously, some of its deserved, but i suspect some of its just boaters with pissy attitudes.
Thats OK, I am a big boy and Raylar can take criticism for its errors and problems. Heck were not perfect and either are any Hot Boaters, although a few seem to think they are!
We back up our products even when we don't have to , just ask a few that I will glady give you the name of who we stepped up bigtime for issues that showed up that were a few times not even our problem.
As for the rocker nut issue, yes we had a small problem, about 5 or 6 boats out of over 400 who now have Raylar engines and kits. We replaced those nuts and paid for the warranty work and yes we had some of those where a shipment got slightly delayed , but no tracking number lies as proposed here.
Its also important to realize that the rocker nut problem did not damage the motors other than replacing the nuts.
Obviously, interrupted outings and tow rope travel is no fun and a loss for everyone it does happen.
Mercury and other big high performance aftermarket manufacturers have failures everyday and slow warranty resolutions and I don't see the bashing of them here on this Forum as I do see a few get bashed for some of their issues.
Those of you who have had problems with others in the "Trade" know that there are some real "flakey" lack of integrity people in this industry and they will suffer in the long term from their hit and run tactics!
But for the other manufacturers like Raylar who really care about our customers and the quality of our products and the reliability they can give our users, we would like to see a more level playing field when it comes to comments about our products and service.
Without small manufacturers like ourselves in the performance boating community the industry would die a quick death. We aren't making millions and one of the reasons we keep plugging along is the pride and satisfaction we get from those hundreds of Raylar customers who have smiles on their faces and a warm spot in their hearts for the effort we put into helping them get their boats roaring along a little faster!
Raylar is here to stay and we'll keep trying to make our products the best they can be and make sure our customers get real communication and service support they deserve as customers!!
Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

voodoomedman
11-21-2007, 12:42 PM
We replaced those nuts and paid for the warranty work and yes we had some of those where a shipment got slightly delayed , but no tracking number lies as proposed here.
Oh really? Maybe you want to reread post # 64 and # 65 from this thread http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118755&highlight=raylar+ups
and you will see where you clearly blamed a shipment on UPS missing the pickup and I clearly showed with factual statements where UPS picked up that day. It was probably better for you when you simply ignored that I would leave you alone if you simply apologized for "stretching the truth" to cover your a$$. Now you are outright telling stories again. How about I'm sorry I screwed up and got caught? Personally, I am actually overstepping my bounds in my position and responsibility, but as a boater and forum member I don't want to see anyone get screwed. Also it is wrong that you screwed up and put the blame on my company. How about next time I screw up I blame it on you and take food out of your family's mouth?

ekbearly
11-21-2007, 01:33 PM
Just another update... my final warranty paperwork arrived in the mail today along with my engine cover. Looking back on my experience, I am happy with the decision I made to go with Raylar. He has followed through on what was promised and at a very competitive price when considering my other options.
For those of you who gave me real feedback, thank you for your input. For the rest of you, the bashing wasn't very helpful and should have been done via PM if at all.
Thanks!
Eric

voodoomedman
11-21-2007, 03:56 PM
Kinda quiet there Ray. I guess you'll just ignore it for another year huh? :idea:

Kachina26
11-21-2007, 04:14 PM
It really seems to be true that there is more negativity by some on the Hot Boat Forums for aftermarket marine performance manufacturers than any other forum site in the US.
Obviously, some of its deserved, but i suspect some of its just boaters with pissy attitudes. You'd be pissy too if you never knew whether your boat was gonna come home on a rope.
Thats OK, I am a big boy and Raylar can take criticism for its errors and problems. Heck were not perfect and either are any Hot Boaters, although a few seem to think they are!
We back up our products even when we don't have to , just ask a few that I will glady give you the name of who we stepped up bigtime for issues that showed up that were a few times not even our problem.
True
As for the rocker nut issue, yes we had a small problem, about 5 or 6 boats out of over 400 who now have Raylar engines and kits.
******, ******,******,(I won't name my friends that have not chosen to come out on their own) and Myself (x3) makes 6, I've also been told of others, that's just in Havasu!
We replaced those nuts and paid for the warranty work and yes we had some of those where a shipment got slightly delayed , but no tracking number lies as proposed here. I was told "the part shipped yesterday" and then "the part will ship today" and then "the part is on back order" . I was given tracking numbers for the parts that supposedly were shipped by you and then were on back order. How did you ship it, if you didn't have it and wouldn't have it for weeks to come? I have notes, as a matter of fact, when the holidays are over, I'll post exhaustive notes of the phone conversations.
Its also important to realize that the rocker nut problem did not damage the motors other than replacing the nuts.
Obviously, interrupted outings and tow rope travel is no fun and a loss for everyone it does happen. I've got folks that won't ride in the boat after 2, 4 hour tows!
Mercury and other big high performance aftermarket manufacturers have failures everyday and slow warranty resolutions and I don't see the bashing of them here on this Forum as I do see a few get bashed for some of their issues. Being lied to tends to make people upset.
Those of you who have had problems with others in the "Trade" know that there are some real "flakey" lack of integrity people in this industry and they will suffer in the long term from their hit and run tactics!
But for the other manufacturers like Raylar who really care about our customers and the quality of our products and the reliability they can give our users, we would like to see a more level playing field when it comes to comments about our products and service.
Without small manufacturers like ourselves in the performance boating community the industry would die a quick death. We aren't making millions and one of the reasons we keep plugging along is the pride and satisfaction we get from those hundreds of Raylar customers who have smiles on their faces and a warm spot in their hearts for the effort we put into helping them get their boats roaring along a little faster!
Raylar is here to stay and we'll keep trying to make our products the best they can be and make sure our customers get real communication and service support they deserve as customers!!
Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Communication? You mean like dodging calls? Or, do you mean like hanging up on customers when pressured to do the right thing after several failures? :confused:

Kachina26
11-21-2007, 04:17 PM
Oh, not to mention Lavey wanted no part of my boat for a trade in once I mentioned that it had a Raylar kit, so word has gotten around.

voodoomedman
11-21-2007, 04:26 PM
Oh, not to mention Lavey wanted no part of my boat for a trade in once I mentioned that it had a Raylar kit, so word has gotten around.
How did it get around? I'm sure it wouldn't have gotten around with a fake tracking #? :D

TheCarDudes
11-21-2007, 05:18 PM
How did it get around? I'm sure it wouldn't have gotten around with a fake tracking #? :D
You guys are rough !! :eek: :D

voodoomedman
11-21-2007, 05:46 PM
You guys are rough !! :eek: :D
Just putting the truth out. He's the one who got caught red handed lying about my company to save face for his and yet he is doing it again rather than a simple I screwed up and I won't do it again.

Kachina26
11-21-2007, 05:55 PM
Just putting the truth out. He's the one who got caught red handed lying about my company to save face for his and yet he is doing it again rather than a simple I screwed up and I won't do it again.
Would have gone a long way with me. Can't count how many times I heard that GM changed this or so and so screwed me on that. Only to find out it was BS.