PDA

View Full Version : Power steering sucks on my 04 D Max.....

OutCole'd
11-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Anyone else have issues? I took it to the dealer and they said it's because of the over size tires. (285/75/16):rolleyes: . He said there is a service bulletin and there is nothing they can do. How is it everything works great for 45K miles and now it sucks.
Just looking for ideas here.

sigepmock
11-06-2007, 08:39 AM
Bill,
There are several bullentins out on the subject....newer steering box, also check for leaks in the power steering lines.
You need to find a dealer willing to work with you. I run 35/13.5 tires and it really sucks. They replaced the steering box and it helped a little and recently they replaced the power steering lines that were leaking and flushed the system. Much better but it still sucks in parking lots in the heat.
Check out
http://dieselplace.com/forum/index.php
Do a search for power steering and you should get lots of info.
It helps to let off the brake while turning at slow speeds or try left foot brake with a little throttle to get the RPM's up and get more vacumm assist.
Hope that helps.
Chris

OutCole'd
11-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Bill,
There are several bullentins out on the subject....newer steering box, also check for leaks in the power steering lines.
You need to find a dealer willing to work with you. I run 35/13.5 tires and it really sucks. They replaced the steering box and it helped a little and recently they replaced the power steering lines that were leaking and flushed the system. Much better but it still sucks in parking lots in the heat.
Check out
http://dieselplace.com/forum/index.php
Do a search for power steering and you should get lots of info.
It helps to let off the brake while turning at slow speeds or try left foot brake with a little throttle to get the RPM's up and get more vacumm assist.
Hope that helps.
Chris
Thanks for the info Chris. That's great.

riverbound
11-06-2007, 10:43 AM
F-in chevys ;)

kevnmcd
11-06-2007, 04:31 PM
My '06 with 33's will give me some resistence in a tight situation but all I have to do is give it a little bit of throttle, like Chris said, and all is good. No leaking or any other problems with 42K on it.

Brewzed
11-06-2007, 05:18 PM
I had 38 15.5's on my 06 2500. You couldn't turn the wheels unless your were moving. Backing into tight spaces was a biatch. I was going to go full hydraulic, but I sold the truck. I have 37 12.5's on my 07 dually. Much better then the 38's, but I'm still going hydraulic on this one.

Riverkid
11-06-2007, 07:05 PM
with Super Duty's... :(