PDA

View Full Version : Sigh.....not again.....

boatsnblondes
11-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Yup...happened again.....coming into Merced tonight, guy sitting on the rail, drinkin a beer...you know the rest..needless to say..I'll be scarce for a few days..this was a bad one...happened in Merced, about 4:30 or so.....BnB:(

OCMerrill
11-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Well said Rio.

photo chick
11-05-2007, 09:31 PM
Yeah that's terrible BnB but don't beat yourself up!

hoolign
11-05-2007, 09:33 PM
Yup...happened again.....coming into Merced tonight, guy sitting on the rail, drinkin a beer...you know the rest..needless to say..I'll be scarce for a few days..this was a bad one...happened in Merced, about 4:30 or so.....BnB:(
Dude . .don't beat yourself up over some dumb fukk!

Eliminator 4 Life
11-05-2007, 09:35 PM
Sorry to hear i was driving around ur neighborhood this afternoon but didnt know what house was yours....

boatsnblondes
11-05-2007, 10:44 PM
Thanks you guys...I know it's not my fault...but that never seems to take away from the sheer horror of it all...thats what keeps my eyes open....if I close them, I see it all over again....sigh....3D..look for the Red driveway, theres only one......that should be a great hint...:D

riverbound
11-05-2007, 10:49 PM
pretend he is a pitbull owning atheist....that should make you feel better. ;)
On a serious note sorry to hear you had to experience that. I had a close buddy who hit one of those guys who would walk on the freeway to "end it all" 10 years later my buddy still has issues with it....he can not listen to Bob seger (thats what was on his radio when he hit the guy)

hoolign
11-05-2007, 11:05 PM
On a serious note sorry to hear you had to experience that. I had a close buddy who hit one of those guys who would walk on the freeway to "end it all" 10 years later my buddy still has issues with it....he can not listen to Bob seger (thats what was on his radio when he hit the guy)
Or a bench racer:jawdrop:

ratso
11-06-2007, 05:11 AM
...what about John Denver?:idea:

Eliminator 4 Life
11-06-2007, 06:09 AM
Thanks you guys...I know it's not my fault...but that never seems to take away from the sheer horror of it all...thats what keeps my eyes open....if I close them, I see it all over again....sigh....3D..look for the Red driveway, theres only one......that should be a great hint...:D
So if I stop today you will be around?? I might be doing the Don Pedro route again if so Ill stop by between 430 and 530 if thats alright...

Kachina26
11-06-2007, 08:09 AM
BNB, sorry to hear this. You know it wasn't your doing, I'm sure Amtrak offers the same counseling as bnSF. Take it. Thoughts and prayers bro.

ULTRA26 # 1
11-06-2007, 08:23 AM
All you can do is your best. It's not like you can do anything to avoid these types of situations. Time will help the terrible visions subside. Until then hang in there, and try not to let it drag you down to far. The power of prayer.
John M

boatsnblondes
11-06-2007, 08:36 AM
BNB, sorry to hear this. You know it wasn't your doing, I'm sure Amtrak offers the same counseling as bnSF. Take it. Thoughts and prayers bro.
I think I'll go out and watch trains today....from the station platform at Merced....BNSF is a cookin' today....free steaks anyone????:D

Kachina26
11-06-2007, 09:03 AM
I think I'll go out and watch trains today....from the station platform at Merced....BNSF is a cookin' today....free steaks anyone????:D
Wish I had my camera at work today, handled some Herzog equipment. Looked like a Winnebago in the middle of my cut! Enjoy yourself, I like mine rare!

Not So Fast
11-06-2007, 09:22 AM
So does this kind of accident close the tracks for a while?
I know my son has seen bad accidents (heads cut off etc) on the highway and it doesnt seem to bother him anymore, at least he doesnt say so.:( :( NSF

boatsnblondes
11-06-2007, 09:50 AM
From todays Merced Sun.....
Tuesday, Nov. 06, 2007
Man becomes second train fatality in two days
By DOANE YAWGER
dyawger@mercedsun-star.com
A man in his mid-to-late-40s died Monday afternoon when he was struck by a westbound Amtrak "San Joaquin" passenger train near Coffee Street and Baker Drive. The mishap, the second in two days, appears to be accidental, authorities said.
Sgt. Paul Roseman of the Merced County Sheriff's Department said the man's identity is being withheld until the coroner's office has notified his next-of-kin.
The man's death follows a similar fatality early Sunday morning on the Union Pacific Railroad tracks at Highway 59 and West 16th Street. In that case the man had his back to the train and did not move. The man was taken to the Community Campus of Mercy Medical Center Merced where he was pronounced dead shortly after the accident.
In Monday's accident, Deputy Aaron Rosenberg said witnesses reported the man was sitting on the railroad tracks and witnesses tried to warn him to move. The man was trying to get up and get out of the way when the Amtrak train struck him.
Merced County firefighters said the man was pronounced dead at the scene of the 4:30 p.m. accident on the BNSF Railway tracks. Amtrak engineers told deputies they hit the train's brakes when the man was observed but could not stop in time.
The man's death appears to be accidental rather than a suicide. He apparently did not hear the train's horn or see it until it was too late, Rosenberg said.
Sigh....:(

photo chick
11-06-2007, 09:52 AM
From todays Merced Sun.....
Tuesday, Nov. 06, 2007
Man becomes second train fatality in two days
By DOANE YAWGER
dyawger@mercedsun-star.com
A man in his mid-to-late-40s died Monday afternoon when he was struck by a westbound Amtrak "San Joaquin" passenger train near Coffee Street and Baker Drive. The mishap, the second in two days, appears to be accidental, authorities said.
Sgt. Paul Roseman of the Merced County Sheriff's Department said the man's identity is being withheld until the coroner's office has notified his next-of-kin.
The man's death follows a similar fatality early Sunday morning on the Union Pacific Railroad tracks at Highway 59 and West 16th Street. In that case the man had his back to the train and did not move. The man was taken to the Community Campus of Mercy Medical Center Merced where he was pronounced dead shortly after the accident.
In Monday's accident, Deputy Aaron Rosenberg said witnesses reported the man was sitting on the railroad tracks and witnesses tried to warn him to move. The man was trying to get up and get out of the way when the Amtrak train struck him.
Merced County firefighters said the man was pronounced dead at the scene of the 4:30 p.m. accident on the BNSF Railway tracks. Amtrak engineers told deputies they hit the train's brakes when the man was observed but could not stop in time.
The man's death appears to be accidental rather than a suicide. He apparently did not hear the train's horn or see it until it was too late, Rosenberg said.
Sigh....:(
that's impossible!!!:confused:

Troy McClure
11-06-2007, 10:02 AM
Sorry you had to see that. My uncle owns a railroad in Georgia and I've heard some stories..pretty crazy stuff...

tamalewagon
11-06-2007, 10:07 AM
Dude . .don't beat yourself up over some dumb fukk!
C'mon Hooli...he might be a DF, but have a little respect for the dead. That person made a huge mistake and paid for it with his life.
BNB...Everyone is right in stating not to beat yourself up. You were a victim in this as well.

boatsnblondes
11-06-2007, 08:22 PM
that's impossible!!!:confused:
Not really, he was drunk as a skunk.......empty beer cans everywhere....he never heard me coming....it was quick, he was dead as he flew through the air...:(

hoolign
11-06-2007, 09:38 PM
C'mon Hooli...he might be a DF, but have a little respect for the dead. That person made a huge mistake and paid for it with his life.
BNB...Everyone is right in stating not to beat yourself up. You were a victim in this as well.
A huge mistake would be wandering around with a blindfold on and 2 500w Klipsh's taped to his head near a railway track.... THAT..would be a HUGE mistake.
His problems are over! Now everyone that was a part of it ..still has to suffer..his family, BnB, everyone that was involved in it. Sitting on the tracks..drinking beer ?? and could not hear the 110 + Db horn??
I have no compassion for stupidity..especially when others have to pay the price with their remorse.

MBlaster
11-06-2007, 10:01 PM
I have no compassion for stupidity..especially when others have to pay the price with their remorse.
x2. Just sorry you have to deal with it. Hang tough Bro.

Chubby4Life
11-06-2007, 10:47 PM
BnB, are human fatalities a common thing? My BIL is a conductor (I think) for BNSF and he's told me about animals and the like but never people or vehicles.

Kachina26
11-07-2007, 12:24 AM
BnB, are human fatalities a common thing? My BIL is a conductor (I think) for BNSF and he's told me about animals and the like but never people or vehicles.
I familiarized in Los Angeles, and it sure seemed common. I only worked down there 2 weeks and had 3 incidents that held us up. Thankfully, I didn't witness any of them.

ColeTR2
11-07-2007, 01:31 AM
Sorry you had to go through this. It's not your fault it just goes with the job. Once I was at breakfast and i asked a man sitting next to me at the counter what do you do for a living? He said well i have killed twelve people doing my job over the last 40 years. I said what your a cop? He said nope... a train engineer. He also said it's never easy.... Don't be afraid to ask to talk to someone if it keeps haunting you.

Old Texan
11-07-2007, 05:55 AM
Our thoughts are with you BnB. Poor souls like that go to a better place of comfort.
Time will heal but make sure you don't hold it inside any more than you can handle.
I now understand your comments about wanting to do something else.

boatsnblondes
11-07-2007, 07:23 AM
Well, in 17 years of frieght railroading in LA, I only had one....been up here a little over a year, this is my second, with countless near misses. We hit people up here with such regularity I am starting to think there is something in the water. Mine was the second in two days for Merced, another one in Modesto on the SP side, <near downtown> and last week, we had one out near SanJose, with two on the Caltrain side I believe....thats a normal week...I just think that people who live near the tracks or are near them, can not tell the difference between my train and a slow moving frieght, and think they have time to make it....
On a more personal note, thanks to all you guys for the help and support...people on the train were hugging me, telling me they were going to pray for me, as well as my best friend, my wife, who came to the station, got me, brought me home to a nice dinner and then a nice hot cup of Hot Chocolate...I have been cleared in the investigation by both LE and management of any wrongdoing, so thats nice also....again, thanks to all of ya....

ULTRA26 # 1
11-07-2007, 08:00 AM
Sounds like you are feeling a bit better today. Glad to hear it. I never realized that trains had so much contact with people. Seems it would be a rare event, but obviously it's not. It' difficult to understand.
As I and most others said earlier, things will get better with time, so hang in there.

RVRKID
11-07-2007, 08:36 AM
Even if he was so drunk he was deaf you would think he would have felt the tracks shaking as you came upon him, but I guess he didn't feel a thing. Accident how is it an accident when you sit your drunk azz on a "live" train track.
Sorry you had to see that BnB!

Kachina26
11-07-2007, 09:20 AM
Even if he was so drunk he was deaf you would think he would have felt the tracks shaking as you came upon him, but I guess he didn't feel a thing. Accident how is it an accident when you sit your drunk azz on a "live" train track.
Sorry you had to see that BnB!
Having worked in the Kaiser yard down in Fontana for a bit, I can tell you that those light fast moving passenger trains sneak up on you when they are at speed. It's enough to get your heart going when you aren't expecting it. That's why you never cross a track without checking for movement.

boatsnblondes
11-07-2007, 02:32 PM
Having worked in the Kaiser yard down in Fontana for a bit, I can tell you that those light fast moving passenger trains sneak up on you when they are at speed. It's enough to get your heart going when you aren't expecting it. That's why you never cross a track without checking for movement.
Funny, you touched on the thing that scares me most..sneaking up on a rail and well..you know....I ring the bell, yell out "hot rail, westbound, main or siding, followed by the location," blow the horn, you name it, to keep you guys safe...after all, I used ta be one of ya...stay safe, remember, it's what you CAN'T hear, that you should be afraid of.......specially in the fog...them cars roll real quiet on their own after a bump, never know it was coming...talk to ya when I get a chance...BnB...:sqeyes:

Jordy
11-16-2007, 09:05 AM
Wow, poor you... boo fukking hoo... poor baby... it's not your fault... Sure is funny that you'd come on here looking for sympathy when this is how you really feel:
Again, I couldn't give two shits what any of you think of me..I'll never meet you, the vast majority I would never WANT to meet, almost the entire majority are people I wouldn't be able to tolerate. All you guys on here are really concerned with, is whose boat is faster, whose wife has bigger tits, whose house is bigger, car is faster, who can outdo the other with this or that, and every now and then, when something bad happens, you all send a little prayer to them, how hypocritical. None of you are religious, you no more have intentions of saying a prayer than anything else. You say it just because you think it is the right thing to do. For the most part, and there are e few exceptions, you are all some of the worst people I have ever come across in my life, and yet you have the gaul to call me names and belittle me. How pathetic. Thank God I am not like you guys...I take it as a sign I am doing something right in my life that you all think so little of me...I think if you liked me, I would have to serioulsy take a look at myself and start changing. So the fact that none of you likes me, is a good thing. A great compliment. Never ever think I want anything more to do with any of you than this place. This place is not real. So I do what I want. Get over it. It ain't gonna change, just like RD SUX, never gonna change. But if any of you thinks that your good people, people I would say to a kid, "be like him"...your oughta your minds...who I am on here, vs. who I am in real life...two different things..on here, no rules...out there, rules everywhere..let the fun continue.
Perhaps we should start naming all the personalities... :idea:

Old Texan
11-16-2007, 09:20 AM
Wow, poor you... boo fukking hoo... poor baby... it's not your fault... Sure is funny that you'd come on here looking for sympathy when this is how you really feel:
Damn Jordy, this guy sounds like a real "Train Wreck".......:devil:

ratso
11-16-2007, 09:58 AM
It's the internet... he's just bullshittin' us...:rolleyes:

Spotondl
11-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Remember Jordy... this is the internet and not at all real or so BNB believes...

MKEELINE
11-16-2007, 10:13 AM
So, If what BnB says is true and his internet personality isn't really him then this all is just a lie? Maybe he doesn't really operate a train, believe in God, hate liberals, think his Vector is made of gold or hate the public school system. Man did I get sucked in.......good one BnB.