PDA

View Full Version : Whats going on with the Havasu Building Contractors?

Tahoe Tunnel Vision
11-06-2007, 11:27 AM
We have been trying to get bids from Havasu contractors for over a 15 months now to build a house. We have been to havasu 3 times in the last year to meet with contractors, agents and designers. We have sent plans out and interviewed 8 (recommended) contractors and only one has come back with a bid. The bid was more than the house would resale for not including the lot we own. Most do not return calls and they will not put their bids in writing. I'm stumped. This is a very strange way to conduct business compared to where we live. With the market in the tank it would seem to me that contractors would like to work instead of moving out or working for someone else. Permits are way down, what is going on.
If anyone knows a good quality contractor that returns calls and actually works with the client (with references, licenses, etc) who wants to build a house in Havasu for a decent price, I would like to talk to them. We have the lot and the engineered plans for the house. The plans are available in Havasu.
Please PM me or post the recommendations.
Thanks
Tim

19'daytona
11-06-2007, 05:44 PM
p.m sent

Tahoe Tunnel Vision
11-09-2007, 08:38 AM
Thanks,
I talked to Will and sent him a set of plans.

Marty Gras
11-09-2007, 07:19 PM
I understand your problem. My wife and I have a house in southern California and we live in Havasu. When we have repairs done in Calif. the bill comes to (example) $500.00, in Havasu the same repairs are $1200.00. WHY? We have had problems with contractors here since before we actually moved here, and it's not getting any better. You need to have an outside (big city) general do the work and HE needs to have a LOCAL contractor push the project thru. (the city BS) You MUST also get the "time limit/ penalty" written into your contract BEFORE WORK BEGINS. Get everything up front in writing, or suffer the same fate that most here endure. Most of all, you need to be "on site" at least every other day or you will end up with a house and problems you did not order. GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

acatitude
11-11-2007, 02:17 PM
I think it's better to buy one already completed in this market

havasumimi
11-14-2007, 09:28 PM
I think it's better to buy one already completed in this market
You are right on the mark there! The prices on the homes already built verses building are incredible! There are some bargains to be had!

Tahoe Tunnel Vision
11-16-2007, 04:18 PM
We may wind up buying but I need to exhaust the building avenue first. It took us a year to find the lot and the views are fantastic. We also have a significant investment in the plans and engineering.
Thanks for the help.

Marty Gras
11-16-2007, 08:52 PM
Unlike all the other lazy jackasses here I do not recommend purchasing some POS spec house. You have a lot, and house in mind. Go to outside sources! This town, it's mentality, and it's contractors are very toxic to any outside/original ideas. Wait until Jan/Feb 2008, and then contact a few local residents. Get together and talk about everyones 'problems' and then decide. I would be happy to tell you in person what our experiences were with a "major" home builder here in town. We designed our house and since then the builder has used many of our ideas in his new homes.That's ok, but he charged us EXTRA for our own ideas, now they are HIS ideas!. I don't think the local builders are hungry enough yet, and time will tell just what I'm talking about. We have property up near McCulloch's, we won't use a local builder! We will go out to Phoenix or Vegas for honest people! I wish you luck! PS I must add that I am not a blood sucking realtor!

hava life
11-22-2007, 11:47 AM
We will go out to Phoenix or Vegas for honest people! I wish you luck! PS I must add that I am not a blood sucking realtor!
I don't know where you think you will get your honest people who will travel 3 hours to build a house:confused: Not every builder in this area is a crook.

UltraBigDaddy
11-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Unfortunately it is very true. I am a Broker in Ca and Built a Home here in Havasu, which turned out to be a complete nightmare.... Unfortunately there aren't many dependable Builders and Not One will agree to have a penalty clause for completion date. Thats a big red flag! I found out most builders end up hiring out of havasu and out of Vegas and/or Phoenix. If I had to do it all over again, I would buy one that is complete without the headaches....
Hurst

WishIknew
11-24-2007, 07:40 PM
Try Durham Construction rumor has it their very good!!!!!

Marty Gras
11-25-2007, 02:34 PM
I don't know where you think you will get your honest people who will travel 3 hours to build a house:confused: Not every builder in this area is a crook.
"Hava Life" there are a few people on these boards who live in Phoenix and Vegas that can and will do the work! As for the "crook" statement, I'll narrow it down a little more. "The one's who are not CROOKS are JUST LAZY"! Does that fill in any 'unsettled areas of thought' for you? I do have some perspective on this matter, I'm not just talking out my a$$. I've done a few deals in Havasu and still own a house in California. Also, the "prices have really dropped" in Havasu is not totally true. Some "asking prices" have dropped a little, but overall the actual selling prices have not. Very few of the "unsold spec houses" are being offered at "actual true market value" because the realtors, and builders are not 'hurting enough yet'. Look at the "REOs" in Havasu, most are 20% to 40% OVER their actual values. The banks aren't hurting enough yet either. If Havasu had jobs that paid $25.00 per hour or more, these current house prices would still be too high, and those who can afford a "river house" are "being more carefull", so WHO is in the market here? SNOWBIRDS??? PS, if you are still in the market for a spec house, let them all sit for a year before closing. After that first year you will see how the roof leaks, sewer backs up, the slabs crack and the other problems come out. THEN you will be able to make an offer on "just what you are buying" from the Havasu builder.

WishIknew
12-01-2007, 12:19 AM
Durham!!!! HELLO!!!!!!!!!

Marty Gras
12-01-2007, 07:03 PM
"Rumor" is one of Bruce Willis's kids! Who knows these people, what work can I go see, and who is standing up for their work?? "Wish I Knew"?? Will they sign a "timeline agreement?"

hava life
12-02-2007, 01:42 PM
"Hava Life" there are a few people on these boards who live in Phoenix and Vegas that can and will do the work! As for the "crook" statement, I'll narrow it down a little more. "The one's who are not CROOKS are JUST LAZY"!
Marty Gras,
I have worked with subs from Vegas, Phoenix, Utah, and Cali. You can't tell me that the work is any better. It is all about supervising the job. I agree that if you don't watch the job then you are "Just lazy or a crook" but not everyone in Havasu is that way. I have worked with many Vegas and Phoenix superintendents and I am not impressed. I have built hundreds of homes and now live in Havasu so don't put me in a category with everyone. I am not a crook and I am far from lazy.

WishIknew
12-03-2007, 12:55 AM
"Rumor" is one of Bruce Willis's kids! Who knows these people, what work can I go see, and who is standing up for their work?? "Wish I Knew"?? Will they sign a "timeline agreement?"
How about the Storage at the 95 and 40 behind the pilot or 1/2 of most everything in Moonridge?????? 1ST Class Builder !!!!!

Tahoe Tunnel Vision
12-03-2007, 10:04 AM
Durham!!!! HELLO!!!!!!!!!
This does not help me at all!! How about an address / tel #. PM me if you do not want to post the info.
I haved sent out 3 more plan packages from recommendations of the board. I will go ahead and authorize another if this contractor is interested.

Mike K
06-27-2008, 12:37 PM
I built a house in Havasu about 2 years ago. I used DBU. The owner JR. (pronounced Jay R) handled everything ...from the purchase of the land to grading , permits and building ... on time ...and so far no problems ... the best part ...I am kinda cheap ...and I tried to save money everywhere ... he is very professional ... he's originally from North Dakota so he got his work ethic there, no typical Havsau "I will get there when I get there routine" ... no problems, no surprises and no weekly meetings saying it will cost more. I didn't have a lot to spend. On time and I feel good about the entire process. his # is (928) 453-6943

dammkid
12-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Try calling Esmay construction I do his finish work and he has ben in Havasu along time and does quilty homes (928-855-3080) ask to talk to Mike he is The owner Tell Him that Brian refered you to him
Or try Magic Homes I also do work for them contact Sherry she is the owner
(928-486-9660) also tell her that i refered you

SkyHarborCowboy
12-22-2008, 08:39 PM
I heard most of the work force went back to Mexico with the real estate slump! That maybe why no one is calling back.

nodigg
01-01-2009, 08:47 AM
I heard most of the work force went back to Mexico with the real estate slump! That maybe why no one is calling back.
Arizona instituted E-Verify Jan 2008. That eliminates the use of fake work docs in Arizona. For once California did not do something first!
I second JR BTW. He did not own DBU however. He was an employee. He now has his own company, (this year), "Arizona Homes" still on Palo Verde N in one of the models he owns. He sold two of them on Palo Verde.
HE WILL CALL YOU BACK and GET it DONE!