PDA

View Full Version : Got the bowl off..impeller is a mess

TJS
07-18-2003, 03:03 PM
Ok I picked up a Nordic last week w no motor and a Berk JG. I spend three days wet sanding cleaning and buffing. Boat looks good. So after reading through the sealoc jet manual I decide to take the bowl off and see what the impeller looks like. After fighting and swearing with the transom gasket and then the bowl gasket I got it all off. The impeller is chipped and dinged up on the trailing edges real bad. I have another alum. B I got cheap at a swap meet and checks out good. So I then turned my attention to the bowl. I followed how to take the bushing and seal out. So I get the cap off and cannot find a bushing only pieces of it. So I then pop out the seal and where the seal sets is really galled up. Should I now take off the rest of the suction piece out of the boat and pull the shaft and check the thrust bearing and seals. I have a arbor press, Bpt Milling machine, lathe, torches and welders. I think I am going to kiss the seal surface of the mill mounted to a rotry table. Also is there anything I can do on bowl (vanes ?) with the milling machine for better performance. Also where is the best place to get rebuild kits from.
I need gaskets, seals and bushings. I am going to use the Ultimate wear ring when I am ready to put it back together. I will take some pics of this mess tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.
T.J.

Snorider
07-18-2003, 03:09 PM
Since you are from CT, i would suggest Ted @ CBM. 877-jet-pump. he is out of syracuse NY. Not really big into performance (due to lack of demand) but he stocks impellers and such.
Oh, and if your boat is anything like mine, you need to remove the motor to get the suction piece out (unless you remove the transom housing). And always plan for the worst... I lost my bearing cap when i tore my pump apart cry
Took almost 2 weeks to get a new one...

TJS
07-18-2003, 03:42 PM
Thanks. That is who I bought the boat from was Ted. I have an impeller already. I will give him a call though. I bought the boat w/o a motor so removing it is no problem. Thanks.

HammerDown
07-18-2003, 04:04 PM
Oh yea, I saw pics of that Boat. I had some people intrested in it...so you bought his yellow Nordic.
Ted's good people. He'll get ya what you need for that pump no problem.
[ July 18, 2003, 05:11 PM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]

TJS
07-18-2003, 04:53 PM
ya I bought it. it was a long trip back from NY to CT with that thing. Where are you from.
T.J.

HammerDown
07-18-2003, 05:06 PM
TJS:
ya I bought it. it was a long trip back from NY to CT with that thing. Where are you from.
T.J. Im down in the Philly Pa. area. I've had the pleasure of meeting Ted (CBM JET)a few times as he comes to our Drag Boat Races(www.dvbcr.com) in Pa. I also have delt with him reguarding parts for my Pump several times...as I stated above, Ted's good people and very easy to work with.
I had some people intrested in now(your)boat...they just werent to crazy about the drive to get it.
[ July 18, 2003, 06:07 PM: Message edited by: HammerDown ]