PDA

View Full Version : duramax or power stroke, wich is better?

Sanger D
11-06-2007, 01:45 PM
buying a new truck and am looking at the chevys now ,have a ford 250 on gas and not sure to stay with gas or go desiel. Miant.and fuel costs? whats a better way to go?

ratso
11-06-2007, 01:49 PM
buying a new truck and am looking at the chevys now ,have a ford 250 on gas and not sure to stay with gas or go desiel. Miant.and fuel costs? whats a better way to go?
Thats like asking what's better... DCB or Kachina...:idea:

Brewzed
11-06-2007, 01:53 PM
I'm on my second truck with a Duramax. I would never go back to a gas truck. However, Oil Changes are twice as much and fuel has been the same price as super if not more the last couple of years. I think I paid $3.69 yesterday for diesel.

caroftheweek
11-06-2007, 01:53 PM
Call Jay and get your new Chevy delivered to you:D :D
BTW... I am on my 5th Duramax

Shreve"T"
11-06-2007, 01:57 PM
IMO...Theres a huge difference between Gas and Diesel...
It depends on how you use your truck.Work or just a Everyday driver...
Diesel is the only way to go towing and I would perfer a Ford Powerstroke over the duramax...Most Industrial commercial hauling hot shots are either a Ford or the Dodge Cummins...Again just IMO....
I'm sure others will feel different....:D :D :D :D
Keep in mind that the 08 Dodge Cummins has a engine brake option that is SWEET....:D :D :D :D

Instigators
11-06-2007, 02:00 PM
Go drive a Noisy Sluggish Underpowered Ford Powerstroke,or a Clattering Dodge Cummins. Then drive a GM Duramax. No comparison. The GM is such a much more refined piece of equipment and you get the best transmission on the market for that class truck. Plus nobody with a Ford or Dodge will pass you while your towing your boat or make fun of you for buying the FORD.:D

Baja Big Dog
11-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Call Jay and get your new Chevy delivered to you:D :D
BTW... I am on my 5th Duramax
Maybe the fifth one will last!!:D

Baja Big Dog
11-06-2007, 02:11 PM
This is the million dollar question..it will be beat to death on the court of Hot Boat!!!:D

Excessive Force
11-06-2007, 02:11 PM
cute and comfy=chevy
tuff and mean business=ford
loud and nasty and wtf were they thinking=dodge

Baja Big Dog
11-06-2007, 02:15 PM
Go drive a Noisy Sluggish Underpowered Ford Powerstroke,or a Clattering Dodge Cummins. Then drive a GM Duramax. No comparison. The GM is such a much more refined piece of equipment and you get the best transmission on the market for that class truck. Plus nobody with a Ford or Dodge will pass you while your towing your boat or make fun of you for buying the FORD.:D
Comming from someone that has not driven or been around a new Powerstroke.
Get the Chevy...OOOPS...not really a chevy though...Jap engine, Allison trans New venture transfer cases, Dana front and rear ends...rumor has it that G.M. still makes the widow cranks!!!:D (this should start some shit!!!):D :D

soupersonic
11-06-2007, 02:19 PM
http://inlinediesel.com/deathmatch/
This is the real skinny :D

soupersonic
11-06-2007, 02:21 PM
cute and comfy=chevy
limp and mean excessive service=ford
loud and nasty and wtf just passed me =dodge
I fixed it for you :D

Jordy
11-06-2007, 02:22 PM
Get the Chevy...OOOPS...not really a chevy though...Jap engine, Allison trans New venture transfer cases, Dana front and rear ends...rumor has it that G.M. still makes the widow cranks!!!:D (this should start some shit!!!):D :D
Well, seeing how Isuzu is the #1 diesel engine builder worldwide, coupled pretty much of the heavy automatic that everyone would love to copy/have (which used to be a division of GM, in case you weren't aware), and something in the front and rear ends, being Spicer, which last I checked used to do all the diffs in all the trucks a few years ago, and still does a majority of the 3rd members in the big trucks. Believe they still do some on the newer pickups as well, what's your point??? GM put a bunch of great parts together to make a superior product??? :idea:
Let's see, Ford doesn't build their own diesel, and can't decide what kind of displacement they want to run, same with Dodge and the Cummins. It's ok, meeting the new Tier 3 emissions requirements are taking their toll on the big Cats and Cummins as well. Ford and Dodge both build their own automatic trannies, and subsequently, both are junk behind the diesels. Does Dodge even build a 5 speed auto yet??? Allison comes in a 6 spd 1000 series now.
Seems like a pretty simple choice to me. :D

Excessive Force
11-06-2007, 02:24 PM
I fixed it for you :D
...at least if rhymes!

Excessive Force
11-06-2007, 02:24 PM
and i got a lil chuckle out of it

soupersonic
11-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Dodge just went to a 6.7 to meet new emissions .They also have a new 6 speed auto which is much improved,plus it comes with a badazz exhaust brake. (But you knew that)

ratso
11-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Well, seeing how Isuzu is the #1 diesel engine builder worldwide, coupled pretty much of the heavy automatic that everyone would love to copy/have (which used to be a division of GM, in case you weren't aware), and something in the front and rear ends, being Spicer, which last I checked used to do all the diffs in all the trucks a few years ago, and still does a majority of the 3rd members in the big trucks. Believe they still do some on the newer pickups as well, what's your point??? GM put a bunch of great parts together to make a superior product??? :idea:
Let's see, Ford doesn't build their own diesel, and can't decide what kind of displacement they want to run, same with Dodge and the Cummins. It's ok, meeting the new Tier 3 emissions requirements are taking their toll on the big Cats and Cummins as well. Ford and Dodge both build their own automatic trannies, and subsequently, both are junk behind the diesels. Does Dodge even build a 5 speed auto yet??? Allison comes in a 6 spd 1000 series now.
...and there you have it folks.;)

Opinionated
11-06-2007, 02:27 PM
I have owned 11 Ford Trucks. 3 of them have been diesels. After my last experience with an 04 Powerstroke, I will NEVER buy another Ford again as long as I live. Like I said, I was a die hard Ford patron. I was the guy who would argue until I lost my voice on how much better Ford was than Chevy. I wouldn't even consider another brand.
Then in December of 2004 at 13,500 miles I started having issues with coolant loss. I knew exactly where it was going (Head gasket leak), so I took it to the dealer. I told the dealer "The truck needs head gaskets". I was told that the truck had a bad radiator line and that it was now fixed. I knew it was bullsh!t because I never saw coolant on the ground anywhere I would park. I took it to a second dealership and was given another lame ass excuse and was told that it was fixed again. Finally, I went to a dealership in Riverside and they were straight up with me telling me that Ford was very strict on allowing dealerships to perform warranty work. I finally had to deal with corporate and the head gaskets were fixed. This happened 2 more times within the next 10,000 miles as well as the loss of 6 injectors that took a fight to get fixed also. The final straw was when I was travelling on the 15 home one day and the truck hydroliced because of an injector failure. My motor completely locked up and I barely made it to the side of the road. I had the truck towed and the truck stayed at the dealership for 51 days because I refused to take it back without a motor replacement. I couldn't put my kids in a truck that could possibly kill them. I ended up going to the BBB and filing a claim. I won the claim, but it cost me $11K because of the miles that had accumulated on the truck. Ford treated me like sh!t and I will never give them a dime of my money again.
I have had my Duramax for 2 years now and I absolutely love it. It is by far the best truck I have ever owned. I hope this helps.

rrrr
11-06-2007, 02:29 PM
I'm four months into my 2008 F-250 with a 6.4L diesel. I like it less every day.
Compared to the 2004 Excursion 6.0 I traded in, it's much slower, gets 25% worse fuel mileage, the driveability sucks (bad turbo lag, confused shifting) and generally I ain't too impressed.
Been seriously thinking about ditching it for a Duramax, just hate to take the $$ hit.

Shreve"T"
11-06-2007, 02:40 PM
Let me ask this question.
How many of you use your Duramax in the Trucking Industry ???? Open road pulling a goose neck flatbed 34,36 AND 40 foot trailers ???
They DO not last long in these working conditions... They may be great for the light hauling or towing a boat.. But I have seen what lasts out on the road and it isn't a Duramax/Chevy...:D :D :D :D

havaduner
11-06-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm four months into my 2008 F-250 with a 6.4L diesel. I like it less every day.
Compared to the 2004 Excursion 6.0 I traded in, it's much slower, gets 25% worse fuel mileage, the driveability sucks (bad turbo lag, confused shifting) and generally I ain't too impressed.
Been seriously thinking about ditching it for a Duramax, just hate to take the $$ hit.
I have been thinking about a new F450, and was told yesterday from someone in the know at a FORD dealership, you should be able to take the truck back to the dealer in about 3 weeks for a computer reflash, should get you some mileage back

havaduner
11-06-2007, 02:50 PM
Should have noticed the :D Thought we were gonna find out for real!

Racey
11-06-2007, 02:51 PM
I've heard nothing but bad about the new twin turbo powerstrokes (no power, shitty milage), we have a 2000 powerstroke (7.3L) that we only use for towing or hauling engines. it's a great truck, but only has about 20,000 miles on it, and it has a banks exhaust, turbo, and intercooler. it flat moves :D
The Duramax's do have the best trans around with the allison. but i've heard that putting extreme load and boost (pulling a 5th wheel with a chip) to them will melt the heads, they are aluminum, not cast iron like the cummins or powerstroke. I do like they way chevy's interiors are finshed off, they are more like a car than a truck, very very nice!
The new cummins 6.7L is supposed to be badass, a buddy of ours got one and loves it. i think the cummins is probably the best motor on the market, if you could mate that to the allison you'd have the best combination around. I like the Mega Cab's too, they are shweet.
It's all a trade off

Instigators
11-06-2007, 03:02 PM
Now that's funny.:D

INSman
11-06-2007, 03:06 PM
Dmax, call Jay .... :D

Screaming Pete
11-06-2007, 04:36 PM
my 95 dodge just rolled over 360000 miles and only has had 1 auto tranny rebuild. i've replaced a few parts, lots of oil changes tires and batteries ect... and it's ugly but o well!!!!!!:D

vee-driven
11-06-2007, 05:24 PM
My ford friends hate their trucks, except the 7.3 guys but all fords trannies suck. Me and my duramax friends love our trucks, they ride great, interior is plush the diesel is quiet, only thing i would complain about is that it isn't straight front axl 4x4 but that can be changed. As for the dodge, crappy trans the maga cab is ugly as shit and is not available with a long bed and the turning radius is horrible, as for the new cummins motor i have heard a few say they liked the 5.9 better.

AZJD
11-06-2007, 05:54 PM
We have beat this topic to death.
Chevy has the best truck on the road.
It pulls hard, rides smooth and has a great drivetrain warranty. 100k miles
Fords and Dodge both have shitty trannys.
The only weakness I have seen with the Chevs are the front end. Still cheaper and easier to fix than a tranny. It is also the reason Chevy rides a million times better than the competition.
BUY CHEVY! Don't know anyone who doesn't love their Chevy! I have 15k miles on mine and it runs and rides just like new. Fords would have tranny slip and so much engine noise by now you would be unhappy.

Sanger D
11-06-2007, 06:01 PM
Thank you everyone!!!!! you made my decision easy, CHEVY it is!!!!!! I did some home work before I posted and all you people confirmed my results. thanks, I 'm getting the LTZ crew cab short bed 4x4, the inside is awesome and has EVERYTHING in it!!!!!!

AZJD
11-06-2007, 06:05 PM
Thank you everyone!!!!! you made my decision easy, CHEVY it is!!!!!! I did some home work before I posted and all you people confirmed my results. thanks, I 'm getting the LTZ crew cab short bed 4x4, the inside is awesome and has EVERYTHING in it!!!!!!
Jay Photoglou 714-552-0300
You will save!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pw_Tony
11-06-2007, 06:13 PM
Does the lifetime Warranty include the Dodge Diesels as well?
Casue if so then I would think that's a no brainer over the ugly as sin Chevy's... and they're detuned allisons. ;)

HammerDown
11-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Well, seeing how Isuzu is the #1 diesel engine builder worldwide,../ GM put a bunch of great parts together to make a superior product???
The Heartbeat of America...with an Isuzu...uh yea.:rolleyes:
With that being said.
In my area Diesel Fuel...$3.70...and climbing hard!:mad:
Regular Grade gas...$2.89
After owning one GREAT rock solid 7.3 Ford Diesel for 20 years...I'm done w/ Diesels!
Give me something that burns the much cheaper Gas!

DEMOMAN
11-06-2007, 06:15 PM
I have a 96 dodge with 230,000 towing miles. I rebuilt the auto tranny at 185,000 miles. This truck still pulls hard and works every day. I also have a 04 dodge with 90,000 trouble free towing miles. Trust me in the demolition business these things get hammered. In May I purchased a 07 mega cab with the 6.7 for a play truck and I could not be happier.

77charger
11-06-2007, 06:16 PM
Let me ask this question.
How many of you use your Duramax in the Trucking Industry ???? Open road pulling a goose neck flatbed 34,36 AND 40 foot trailers ???
They DO not last long in these working conditions... They may be great for the light hauling or towing a boat.. But I have seen what lasts out on the road and it isn't a Duramax/Chevy...:D :D :D :D
I have a cousin who hauls cars with a big rig i asked him about the 3-4 car gooseneck trailers and truck set ups he straight out told me get the dodge with a manual.

Brewzed
11-06-2007, 06:17 PM
I'd suggest going with the long bed. I went from a short to a long this year and it's a huge difference when you need to carry stuff around and you get a few more gallons in the tank. Especially if you have or plan on ever getting a 5th wheel.

Hal
11-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Power stroke, there is nothing the matter with the new 5 speed Ford tranny.

AZJD
11-06-2007, 06:24 PM
Power stroke, there is nothing the matter with the new 5 speed Ford tranny.
Well, as Wes taught me! The problem was circled by the manufacturer right on the tailgait!
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/azjd1/ford20emblem.jpg

RiverRatMike
11-06-2007, 06:26 PM
A ford V10 is the only way to go!

caroftheweek
11-06-2007, 07:01 PM
Did you notice my screen name???:D :D

Speedman
11-06-2007, 07:17 PM
Of the three of them which one has to remove the body to do engine work. I shit the first time I saw this.

BadKachina
11-06-2007, 07:19 PM
I think they've come a long way in quality. Drive them all, then get the one that gives you that "I want to spend 45k on a truck" feeling. Then you can go fill it up for just under a 100 bucks.............

Jordy
11-06-2007, 07:22 PM
Of the three of them which one has to remove the body to do engine work. I shit the first time I saw this.
I believe you're talking about the Ford where you have to remove the cab to get to the engine for anything more than an oil change. :idea:

Riverkid
11-06-2007, 07:27 PM
I've bought over 50 ford's in the last seven years and we had no tranny issues. Had a few 6.0's that got schooled but for what we do the other trucks are junk. I bought a few and suffered through constant brake issues, warped rotors, etc.
Ford builds the best WORK truck (4WD) period.
Good luck. I do love my wifes new 07 Tahoe LTZ though...

cc322
11-06-2007, 08:18 PM
Well, as Wes taught me! The problem was circled by the manufacturer right on the tailgait!
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff98/azjd1/ford20emblem.jpg
FYI real men dont wear bow ties ;)

Jordy
11-06-2007, 08:22 PM
FYI real men dont wear bow ties ;)
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42577&stc=1&d=1194409343
:D :D :D

canuck1
11-06-2007, 08:33 PM
Duramax = fukkin junk
Another die hard chevy guy that drives a Dodge

cc322
11-06-2007, 08:35 PM
http://www.***boat.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42577&stc=1&d=1194409343
:D :D :D
Thats classic right there:D :D :D

Mandelon
11-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Isuzu! uh I mean Duramax. Problem free for me. so much quieter than the other two. My last two trucks were Fords. Happier with the Chevy.
They are all good, they will all tow a house, they all can have issues, but assuming a lack of any problems.... the Dmax is still much quieter and doesn't make that diesel stink. I hate the diesel price, but love the power.

plaster dave
11-06-2007, 08:57 PM
04' GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax and love it. Almost 70k and and I still love it. If the new Toyota comes out all three will be in trouble.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6644new_toyota.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6644new_toyota_2.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6644new_toyota_3.jpg

AZJD
11-06-2007, 09:01 PM
04' GMC 2500 HD 4x4 Duramax and love it. Almost 70k and and I still love it. If the new Toyota comes out all three will be in trouble.
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6644new_toyota.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6644new_toyota_2.jpg
http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/6644new_toyota_3.jpg
How cute! Someone molded dually fenders on a Tacoma!:idea:

Instigators
11-06-2007, 09:08 PM
A ford V10 is the only way to go!
Says the guy with 2 small blocks in his boat. Wake up and smell the diesel smoke, then you might know what real power is. Diesel engines produce more torque at half the RPM's of a gas motor. Show me a Locomotive, Frieght Ship or any other work horse that burns Gas.:D

hoolign
11-06-2007, 09:13 PM
Little gas automatic trucks ..are for little girls. If you even intend to piss standing up once in your life.. Buy a diesel! and unless you intend on buying a "truck" to use it as a 'truck" buy one of those lil faggy 1/2 tons..cause they are cute. Now..if you want a real truck..don't buy one of those Powder strokes..cause you may as well run around with the window down in a lime green Kia spectra screaming " JAM SOMETHING IN MY ASS QUICK"
If you want a truck ..Either Chev or Dodge..3/4 or 1 ton DIESEL...

Instigators
11-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Funny how the answers just come to you. This just in from another peep from another thread. Layin on the ground and still more truck than anything else in it's class.:D
http://***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167881

plaster dave
11-06-2007, 09:22 PM
I am a GM guy but this truck is bad a$$ and it is not a Tacoma!

hoolign
11-06-2007, 09:23 PM
The Heartbeat of America...with an Isuzu...uh yea.:rolleyes:
With that being said.
In my area Diesel Fuel...$3.70...and climbing hard!:mad:
Regular Grade gas...$2.89
After owning one GREAT rock solid 7.3 Ford Diesel for 20 years...I'm done w/ Diesels!
Give me something that burns the much cheaper Gas!
and the gas job goes how far on a tank?? :rolleyes:

LOWRIVER2
11-06-2007, 11:02 PM
Let's see:
For my off duty job, I drive an 03 6.0 Ford F450 crew cab/10ft. utility bed pulling 13k lbs. of skid steer tractor. The truck has 75k miles on it and has had the injectors replaced 3 times, tranny rebuilt twice, main seal replaced twice, turbo rebuilt once. So much for "super duty".
My former 04 F250 6.0 went through three main seals, blew heads once, all lines replaced at least once, all in 32k miles, pulling no more than a 26 foot toybox/quads.
My 06 Dmax: 20k miles, tows both the 13k skid steer and 13k lb. toybox, brake line leaked once, no other issues.
Sure, the Dmax had less miles but compared to the 04, been in the shop once in one year vs. 8 times in two.
I test drove the 08 F450 with a pick up bed and I swear the 03 utility accelerates better with tools/100 gal. aux fuel tank loaded.
I don't hate Fords, I want them to out sell Toys, but they have to get it together or they will continue to lose customers to Chevy or foreign trucks.
The 06 Kodiak work truck with 5.16 gears even accelerates better and it's a much heavier truck.

Kilrtoy
11-06-2007, 11:19 PM
GO TO SAVAGE MARINE any day of the week and you will see all three 08's DIESEL 4X4's sitting and they are all top of the line stuffed with every option.
TO EACH IS OWN,
I , I mean the wife just bought a fully loaded Z71 LTZ Duramax 4X4

DMOORE
11-06-2007, 11:55 PM
I've owned Ford trucks in the past and they were great. Infact the Navigator I purchased new has 120k on it, and the only time it has been to the dealership is for regular maintaince. Oh, I did forget, I had one vacume line replaced that cracked. Now saying this, If I were to purchase a new Diesel, it would be a Chevy hands down. Simply too many of my buddies have experianced BIG problems with the recent Ford diesels. The guys driving Chevys, have had very few.
Darrell.

redneckcharlie
11-07-2007, 12:47 AM
This whole argument about brand is fairly comical to me. How many people here actually use the truck for what it is intended? First off, disclude the vehicles that are using programmers to dump fuel down the motor to make "more' power. Next, take off all the vehicles that have huge lifts without being regeared. None of the big three do a bad job with their deisels! I've had all of them, and actually use them. By use them, I mean put six tons behind them on a regular basis. Not once or twice a month, but every day. I have a F350, my sixth, with Fords five speed tranny. I actually prefer the six speed manual, but oh well. The Cummins has the best motor bar none, its not a hybrid industrial, its an actual specifically designed deisel. The chassis on the ford is pretty much failure proof, axles don't brake, brakes hold up, and the body always stays in line. The Chevy is defenitely higher quality in the interior and has more creature features. The chassis on the Chevy is the week point. The Duramax(Isuzi)is a good motor, but longevity is not yet established. If you truely want to see what people(the working public uses), take a look at what the guys doing hotshots use. It is very predominatly ford and dodge. Me personally, I'd be happy with any of the three. I would of hands down bought a chevy when they were intending to put a John Deere powertrain in it. As far as industrial equipment(farming), there is nothing better. Toyotoa isn't even worth mentioning yet. The fact of the matter is that the average person will never put any of these vehicles through their intended paces. And you will not go wrong with any of them.
And to all the guys that raise hell with ford with the 6.0, lets talk about chevys 6.2ltr deisel. Now that thing was an abortion. :D

Jordy
11-07-2007, 06:23 AM
And to all the guys that raise hell with ford with the 6.0, lets talk about chevys 6.2ltr deisel. Now that thing was an abortion. :D
Yeah, but they ran it for more than 3 years and didn't have near the problems. You must remember that was back in the days of the 6.9 Ford (Navistar) and the original 5.9 Cummins, none of which, even with a turbo, were putting out over 200hp. ;)
The big problem with the 6.0 Ford was the increased power that Ford was trying to make with them, over what Navistar designed them for. Take a long block that is designed for 250hp and start cranking it up to the 325 hp mark through the use of higher boost and more aggressive fuel curves and you're asking for trouble. Then throw in the E4OD with an extra gear, call it a Torque-Shift and watch it shit the bed. :D

rrrr
11-07-2007, 06:28 AM
I believe you're talking about the Ford where you have to remove the cab to get to the engine for anything more than an oil change. :idea:
One of my work trucks, a 2006 F150 supercab 5.4L, broke a cam sprocket a few weeks ago. The dealer pulled the bodywork and cab to remove the engine for rebuilding.
Seems a bit radical. :rolleyes: :D :D

LOWRIVER2
11-07-2007, 06:30 AM
Wait, comparing the 6.2 GM diesel of the early eighties is pointless. Ford and Dodge did not HAVE a diesel in their pickup trucks until 86 for Ford and 92 for Dodge. The 6.2 was the first shot at putting diesels in trucks and for all things considered, did okay. By no means can you compare it to a modern Pstroke, Dmax or Cummins.
Work trucks? As mentioned the 03 F450 I drive tows a Cat 268B with cold planer/broom attachment everyday. It's had more than it's share of problems. The 01 F450 7.3 Pstroke it replaced had none of them and the powerband was much more even. The tranny on the older truck was much weaker.
As for Dmax's Izuzu engine service life? Next time you are in a major U.S. city (over 1 million) , check out the thousands of Izusu cab over delivery diesel trucks that are running essentially the same Dmax engines. Proof in the pudding for reliability.
As for Public Emergency Departments buying Pstrokes, it's called CHEAPEST product as government agencies are all about price. Same for most construction companies that run a lot of Fords. Chevy used to not deal much on fleet sales in terms of high number purchases, that has changed.
As for civilians that use a diesel for play. Most of the Havasu boats are over 5k lbs. and should be easy for any diesel. When it comes to toyboxes, mine is over 13k lbs. and so are most over 35 ft. 5th wheels. Most owners tow these things two times a month for 6 months during desert season so for someone to say a lot of diesel owners don't tow anything is bunk. Especially with gas over $3.50 these days, I don't think guys are driving diesels because they look cool, lol.

Jbb
11-07-2007, 06:34 AM
While all three trucks had excellent ride quality, the Chevy was noticeably superior to the other two. The Chevy uses an independent front suspension which does an amazing job of smoothing the ride. Both the Dodge and the Ford use coil sprung live axles and all three run live rear axles. The spring rate is much softer on the Chevy and it may require additional suspension upgrades if you're into "large" women.
:D :D

ratso
11-07-2007, 06:37 AM
Little gas automatic trucks ..are for little girls. If you even intend to piss standing up once in your life.. Buy a diesel! and unless you intend on buying a "truck" to use it as a 'truck" buy one of those lil faggy 1/2 tons..cause they are cute. Now..if you want a real truck..don't buy one of those Powder strokes..cause you may as well run around with the window down in a lime green Kia spectra screaming " JAM SOMETHING IN MY ASS QUICK"
If you want a truck ..Either Chev or Dodge..3/4 or 1 ton DIESEL...
lmfao...:D

Tom Brown
11-07-2007, 06:42 AM
You people posting to this thread don't know anything.
Sanger D, get yourself a 94 Nissan Maxima. Get the 3.0l V6. It has more towing power, higher payload capacity, better reliability, and far superior chick pulling ability than any of the penis compensator trucks being discussed here.

Jordy
11-07-2007, 06:44 AM
Wait, comparing the 6.2 GM diesel of the early eighties is pointless. Ford and Dodge did not HAVE a diesel in their pickup trucks until 86 for Ford and 92 for Dodge. The 6.2 was the first shot at putting diesels in trucks and for all things considered, did okay. By no means can you compare it to a modern Pstroke, Dmax or Cummins.
Dammit Gary, stop bringing facts into this argument!!! It's classic that the best comparison the blue oval crew can come up with to counter the 6.0 arguments is an engine from 20 years ago that was naturally aspirated and ran a mechanical injection pump. :D :D :D
I'm still laughing at that one. :D

Opinionated
11-07-2007, 07:04 AM
This whole argument about brand is fairly comical to me. How many people here actually use the truck for what it is intended? First off, disclude the vehicles that are using programmers to dump fuel down the motor to make "more' power. Next, take off all the vehicles that have huge lifts without being regeared. None of the big three do a bad job with their deisels! I've had all of them, and actually use them. By use them, I mean put six tons behind them on a regular basis. Not once or twice a month, but every day. I have a F350, my sixth, with Fords five speed tranny. I actually prefer the six speed manual, but oh well. The Cummins has the best motor bar none, its not a hybrid industrial, its an actual specifically designed deisel. The chassis on the ford is pretty much failure proof, axles don't brake, brakes hold up, and the body always stays in line. The Chevy is defenitely higher quality in the interior and has more creature features. The chassis on the Chevy is the week point. The Duramax(Isuzi)is a good motor, but longevity is not yet established. If you truely want to see what people(the working public uses), take a look at what the guys doing hotshots use. It is very predominatly ford and dodge. Me personally, I'd be happy with any of the three. I would of hands down bought a chevy when they were intending to put a John Deere powertrain in it. As far as industrial equipment(farming), there is nothing better. Toyotoa isn't even worth mentioning yet. The fact of the matter is that the average person will never put any of these vehicles through their intended paces. And you will not go wrong with any of them.
I have an 06 Duramax with an 11" lift, 38" tires, PPE programmer, and all of the stuff you refer to in your comparison. My truck has almost 51K miles on it and it has not been to the dealer for anything other than an oil change (6 free oil changes with purchase). The Chevy drive train is by far the most solid in my opinion. I will admit, my 2000 powerstroke 7.3 ran awesome, but it ate a tranny at 58K miles. I tow once or twice a month as I have with all of my trucks. The Allison in my Dmax hasn't showm ANY sings of problems. I am 100% behind the Isuzu motor as I can bear witness to their lifespan. I am in the commercial construction industry and we have 3 excavators running Isuzu motors. We open our books at the end of our fiscal year to compare maintanace costs on each piece of equipment. Isuzu beats all of our CAT driven equipment hands down. I really have no problems with Dodge trucks other than the fact that I have 2 friends with 06 and 07 models and both of their ACs suck ass!!! Also, anything above 75 mph on the highway and the door seals don't hold their seal. The road and wind noise would drive me up a wall. That, coupled with the fact that they are complete turds would sway me from ever buying one. As for the Toyota, I would buy this truck if it were the superior vehicle. I have no problems buying a Japanese truck. How "American" is an American automobile these days anyways?
Like I said before, I was DIE HARD for Ford, but the way that I was treated when I had legitimate problems just shows me that they care nothing about their loyal customers. I was more than willing to give them a chance to make it right, but they refused. It was one of the toughest days of my life the day I bought my Duramax, but I am extremely happy to be rockin a bowtie now :D

Shreve"T"
11-07-2007, 07:26 AM
With all the posts on this thread about how great the Duramax is there has not been anybody who uses there Chevy in a Commercial type line of work.
I'm not saying towing a tractor from job site to job site. I'm talking open road coast to coast dragging a 36+ goose neck trailer..
Go to any truckstop around our nation and you will find Fords and Dodges..Theres a reason for this...They last. Have an 02 power stroke with 460,000 miles on it. Just put a new motor in it..Got our money out of it and then some..Dodge is right there with numbers...
I have never seen them put an Isuzu motor in a peterbuilt lately have you ???? Navastar is International speaks for its self and Dodge has Cummins again very reliable + proven motors...
I own both Dodge and Ford and would never change a thing....We do have a Duramax in our fleet and he is haveing issues..Rear end,Tranny..Drags a 40ft flatbed goose neck.. Just isnt made for this....JMO:D :D :D :D

catman-do
11-07-2007, 07:29 AM
Ive had all three brands.
2000 Ford F250 powerstroke, manual trans SRW. The only problem on this truck I EVER had was the clutch went out at 65k (but thats to be expected with how much towing and mountain driving I did). Now the change to the 6.0 I dont think I would ever consider. Not sure on the new one.
2002 Chevy Duramax SRW, had the trans go out on me at 23k, had the rear popout window fall out 2x! I will give it to their service dept, they fixed it in a timely manner, but I wont buy another truck in which windows just fall out.
2004.5 Dodge cummins 2500 SRW, this truck was the mid year switch to the "high output" engine that dodge came out with. This was the biggest pile of shit Ive ever had. Had injectors go out on me twice, had the motor lock up on me, had the band replaced in the trans, had electrical problems in the cab. This one I had to fight tooth and nail with Dodge to replace the engine. Took it to a guy my dad knew at corp and he basically told the warranty rep to cover it or he is fired.
2006 Dodge cummins 3500 DRW Megacab, this truck now has 32k on it and I the only problem I had was my air conditioning started to not blow as hard. Dodge fixed it within 2 hours. Plus the mega cab is real nice for people in the back, and I can lay the seats flat and let the dog get on them without having to worry about dog hair on the front of the seats (where people sit)
BTW, I dont think Ive seen a stock Chevy or Ford that pulls like a Dodge.

LOWRIVER2
11-07-2007, 08:48 AM
Pulling a 13k lb. tractor from job site to job site daily, from Ventura to San Diego, on stop and go So. Cal. Freeways, in 100 degree heat is MUCH harder on any pickup based diesel over towing a goose neck on the OPEN HIGHWAY over HUNDREDS of miles. Do a little homework and realize how hard the engine works in stop and go traffic under a heavy load vs. consitent speed, consistent rpm, little braking HIGHWAY driving.
Besides, the guys using pickup based trucks to tow goosenecks are only trying to ditch having a commercial license or can't afford a real diesel that should be doing the job that they are trying to do with an underpowered pickup based diesel.

blown65
11-07-2007, 08:57 AM
Let's see:
The 06 Kodiak work truck with 5.16 gears even accelerates better and it's a much heavier truck.
No way, we have both a 06 5500 4x4 w/ 5.13's and a F450 w/4.88's. The F450 would absolutely smoke the topkick. The F450 hits the scales around 9200 and the topkick was around 12k if i remember correctly. (Plus that topkick rides like a POS farm tractor)
Fuel mileage on the Fords suck though but power seems just fine. I do however prefer the duramax/ally combo, but after my last round with GM on our Lemon I'm personally done with GM.

Shreve"T"
11-07-2007, 09:08 AM
Pulling a 13k lb. tractor from job site to job site daily, from Ventura to San Diego, on stop and go So. Cal. Freeways, in 100 degree heat is MUCH harder on any pickup based diesel over towing a goose neck on the OPEN HIGHWAY over HUNDREDS of miles. Do a little homework and realize how hard the engine works in stop and go traffic under a heavy load vs. consitent speed, consistent rpm, little braking HIGHWAY driving.
Besides, the guys using pickup based trucks to tow goosenecks are only trying to ditch having a commercial license or can't afford a real diesel that should be doing the job that they are trying to do with an underpowered pickup based diesel.
WRONG...Every one of our trucks MUST be reg. and clasified as a Comnercial Vehicle. This is mandated by the USDOT..
All holds true as if it was a peterbuilt truck plus Driver must have a CDL Physical ETC....
The last time I checked California IS NOT the only place that has 100+ degree weather...Yeah Job site to Job site can be hard on a truck but you have cool of periods... its all about choice really....:D :D :D :D

spectras only
11-07-2007, 09:19 AM
How big is your boat ? Do you really need a big azz diesel ? Jeep is out with a diesel with a Benz engine w/376 footpound of torque. It will have 7600 lbs towing capacity . I had a 85 Cherokee with the whopping 2.1 L AR turbo Renault diesel , 90 HP and 132 footpounds of torque ,pulling my 20 Spectra for years no problem :idea: .
http://www.motortrend.com/features/auto_news/2006/112_news060608_2007_jeep_grand_cherokee_crd_diesel

Dave C
11-07-2007, 09:40 AM
LOL I got a laugh out of that one too....... I don't think most people don't realize how many trucks Isuzu makes worldwide.
You mean the thousands and thousands of Isuzu box vans....all that are beat to death with graffiti on the side still running with 1 million miles on them.... ;) ;) Yes I think their track record speaks for itself.
My old man's Isuzu work truck had 1 million miles on it and ran like a champ. they were too cheap to buy him a new one cuz it would keep running. It outlasted him cuz he retired before it was replaced. :devil:
As for Dmax's Izuzu engine service life? Next time you are in a major U.S. city (over 1 million) , check out the thousands of Izusu cab over delivery diesel trucks that are running essentially the same Dmax engines. Proof in the pudding for reliability.

LOWRIVER2
11-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Sorry, my co.'s 06 Kodiak 4500 4X4 with 5.13's definately accelerates better than an 08 F450. The Kodiak is in a completely different class as for ride, and it has a 35k lb. GVWR, not a 30k like the F450. Hopefully the 6.4's are more reliable but doubtful it's going to win any streetlight to streetlight runs anytime soon against a Dmax weight to weight. And we don't have to take the entire cab off the Kodiak to service anything beyond an oil change like the F450, which is most important for time the truck is working, not in the shop.

It's Only Money
11-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Does Dodge even build a 5 speed auto yet??? Allison comes in a 6 spd 1000 series now.
Starting with 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 and 2500 with the Cummins 6.7 has an optional Aisin Seiki 6 speed transmission. Aisin Seiki for those who don't know them has until recently been in a 10 year joint venture with Allison for the light-medium- and heavy-duty truck and bus commercial vehicle market in the Japan. Allison Transmission was sold to Carlyle Group earlier this year.
So...GM builds their diesel in a joint venture with Izusu Their transmission is outsourced.

womba
11-07-2007, 02:56 PM
It's funny how people think the Chevy's are quieter than the Fords or Dodges. I stood next to a new F350 6.4L and it was just as quiet as the new Chevy's. I was also at a light next to an earlier Chevy 3500 duramax and it was noisier than my 6.0L Powerstroke. None of this mattered to me when I bought mine last year because I didn't buy it because it had the quietest engine. It's a truck. If it's too loud for you, go buy a chick car like a new VW bug with a flower on top. :)

Opinionated
11-08-2007, 07:08 AM
It's funny how people think the Chevy's are quieter than the Fords or Dodges. I stood next to a new F350 6.4L and it was just as quiet as the new Chevy's. I was also at a light next to an earlier Chevy 3500 duramax and it was noisier than my 6.0L Powerstroke. None of this mattered to me when I bought mine last year because I didn't buy it because it had the quietest engine. It's a truck. If it's too loud for you, go buy a chick car like a new VW bug with a flower on top. :)
Or just buy a Ford and hang out with your buddies on the side of the highway waiting for AAA :D

womba
11-08-2007, 11:04 AM
Or just buy a Chevy and hang out with your buddies on the side of the highway waiting for AAA :D
:D

ahhell
11-08-2007, 11:24 AM
just picked up an '06 duramax 3-4 weeks ago and love it...granted its my first diesel...nothing like 120.00 at the gas station:eek:

blown65
11-08-2007, 01:25 PM
Sorry, my co.'s 06 Kodiak 4500 4X4 with 5.13's definately accelerates better than an 08 F450. The Kodiak is in a completely different class as for ride, and it has a 35k lb. GVWR, not a 30k like the F450. Hopefully the 6.4's are more reliable but doubtful it's going to win any streetlight to streetlight runs anytime soon against a Dmax weight to weight. And we don't have to take the entire cab off the Kodiak to service anything beyond an oil change like the F450, which is most important for time the truck is working, not in the shop.
Ya, you need that for how often the Kodiaks are in the shop. 1 1/2 yrs ownership of our 06 and we have had use of it 4 of those months. LOL I think Ill live with the occasional off the frame removal of the cab. (hasnt happened yet)
AFAIK the F450 with 4.88 gears is 33k not 30. Take the weight savings, the advantage of the topkick with 35k is mute.
(right off GM media site, notice key competitor)(GVWR is 26k from them?)
SPECIFICATIONS: 4500 / 5500
(See GM of Canada section for Canadian product differences)
Overview
Models:
2008 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500 and C5500
Body style / driveline:
1-3 person Regular Cab; 1-6 person Crew Cab, motor home cutaway cab chassis, commercial cutaway chassis cab and school bus chassis; front-engine, rear-wheel drive, four-wheel drive
EPA vehicle class:
Class 5 (C4500) trucks available in 16,500- to 17,500-pound GVWR
Class 5 (C5500) trucks available in 18,000- to 19,500-pound GVWR
Class 6 (C5500) trucks available in 22,000- to 26,000-pound GVWR
Manufacturing location:
Flint, Mich.
Key competitor:
Ford SuperDuty
http://www.media.gm.com/us/fco/en/product_services/r_cars/r_c_med_duty/r_c_FCO_Chevy_Kodiak_Overview%20&%20Specs/08%20fco%20chevy%20kodiak.htm

rivercrazy
11-08-2007, 01:47 PM
Of course the Ford is quieter than the Duramax and the Cummins.....
Engines are very quiet broken down and not running on the side of the road.....

wright27
11-08-2007, 02:25 PM
I have owned the powerstroke and the duramax. The duramax is better in every aspect. Go duramax for sure.

womba
11-08-2007, 04:18 PM
LOL! :D