PDA

View Full Version : possibly moveing to Austin texas area

mouzer
11-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Pros and cons of liveing in austin texas? actually the house were lookin into is in Manor tx is this a good place for the kids to grow up.what about the areas of ceder park,round rock,pflugerville.waiting for my back (possibly spinal surgery) than we hope to leave so calif.after 48 yrs. anybody live out that way could give us some advice..it was gonna be colorado,than boise idaho dont forget Kentucky,now the misses has found TEXAS:jawdrop: she uses that safest places to live book and Austin tx came up close to the top.and priced right $300.000

2Driver
11-07-2007, 11:32 AM
After 3 years in San Diego, 5 years in Havi and 18 in Carefree AZ I never considered TX to be a place to live or boat until I went to Austin and out on Lake Travis. Just a fantastic place and not out of our places to move once the wifey calls it quits.
We stayed in Lakeway TX. I could do a home there on the water yesterday.

Sherpa
11-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Awesome place to move to Mike.....
I lived there (Austin) in 1990--1992. loved it.... wife loved it too...
(had to move back to Calif due to wifes Asthma though) so if you, wife or
kids have that, you may think twice about the move...
otherwize, hundreds of lakes to check out, night life in downtown, the
university is there which provides a diverse culture, etc.....
Manor is nice, small, Round Rock, Pflugerville, all are nice........ find what
suits you then move there...
--I would tend to avoid the east side of I35 of austin nearest the downtown
areas.......
--Sherpa

Jbb
11-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Tom Brown sez.......aint but two things come out of Texas......:p

OGShocker
11-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Pros and cons of liveing in austin texas? actually the house were lookin into is in Manor tx is this a good place for the kids to grow up.what about the areas of ceder park,round rock,pflugerville.waiting for my back (possibly spinal surgery) than we hope to leave so calif.after 48 yrs. anybody live out that way could give us some advice..it was gonna be colorado,than boise idaho dont forget Kentucky,now the misses has found TEXAS:jawdrop: she uses that safest places to live book and Austin tx came up close to the top.and priced right $300.000
Try going a little North of Austin. I love the area around Belton/Waco.

R.A.D.man
11-07-2007, 12:02 PM
Cedar Park and Leander are on the northwest side, Lakeway on west side, easy lake access from all three, great schools and neighborhoods and property values still increasing. Manor, TX, more house for your buck, but long way to the lake and even to downtown. Pflugerville, lots of old and new stuff. Schools not as good in Manor and Pflugerville, property values the same. If you choose one of the first three, you will be very happy. If you choose the latter, you may be disappointed. The hill country views are everywhere from the places I recommended and nonexistant from the others. Good luck and feel free to ask me any questions. Everyone loves the hill country. East of I-35 is flat.

DMOORE
11-07-2007, 12:05 PM
I loved Austin. I went to school in San Antonio and we would drive to Austin all the time. Great place. I friend moved there about 6 years ago. He works in Aerospace. His pay stayed about the same ,BUT his cost of living went WAY down. The guy loves it.
Darrell.

Havasu1986
11-07-2007, 12:05 PM
A guy at work sold his house in Corona and moved there about 3 months ago. Says he loves it there.

mouzer
11-07-2007, 12:09 PM
Awesome place to move to Mike.....
I lived there (Austin) in 1990--1992. loved it.... wife loved it too...
(had to move back to Calif due to wifes Asthma though) so if you, wife or
kids have that, you may think twice about the move...
otherwize, hundreds of lakes to check out, night life in downtown, the
university is there which provides a diverse culture, etc.....
Manor is nice, small, Round Rock, Pflugerville, all are nice........ find what
suits you then move there...
--I would tend to avoid the east side of I35 of austin nearest the downtown
areas.......
--Sherpa
whats with the Asthma we were gonna check w/my sons dr before we decided on a place to move he is 10yrs old and has really bad allergys and a little asthma mabe once a year when he is ill w/cold or something he will start weezing and we have a breething machine for him (arbuteral inhaler)for Asthma.

topless
11-07-2007, 12:10 PM
Austin is beautiful! My ex brother in law lived in Round Rock for a while and it was nice also. R.A.D.man lives there. Shoot him a Pm, he can give the the inside scoop of the area.

mouzer
11-07-2007, 12:13 PM
The other house is in Cedar park..thanks for the info...if it was'nt for my back i would round up the family for a road trip just to check it out.my son just asked me what about ":jawdrop: TORNADOS"

DMOORE
11-07-2007, 12:16 PM
T son just asked me what about ":jawdrop: TORNADOS"
Storm sellar . Ya never know.
Darrell.

Havasu1986
11-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Post this in Hot Spots Central. Thats where alot of the Texas people hang out. ;)

Ivan Dan
11-07-2007, 12:23 PM
I've helped several friends sell homes in So Cal and move to the Austin area and they all love it. My one friend swears he'll never move back to So Cal where he was born and raised. We visited him last February and we really liked it back there as well.

charitycase
11-07-2007, 12:27 PM
I will have Oldbuck pipe in when I talk to him.Still have the Hydro?

Classic Daycruiser
11-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Bug's. Rains alot more than the southwest.... I here it can rain for 30 days straight. You will need a much bigger garage. No big mountians..... It takes three days to leave the state of texas if your driving.
Shark attacks in the gulf happen alot more often.
Only one airport.

R.A.D.man
11-07-2007, 12:36 PM
whats with the Asthma we were gonna check w/my sons dr before we decided on a place to move he is 10yrs old and has really bad allergys and a little asthma mabe once a year when he is ill w/cold or something he will start weezing and we have a breething machine for him (arbuteral inhaler)for Asthma.
Austin has people congested all the time from stuff in the air, never stops, just changes with the season. Look at the Austin news channel weather sites, they list the pollen counts daily and you can get an idea of whats out there today (cedar pollen, oak pollen, mold spores, ragweed etc.)
A quick search found this : http://austin.about.com/od/allergies/Allergies_and_Allergy_Relief_for_Austinites.htm
Also, hers'e a link to one of the news channel sites: http://www.kvue.com/allergy/
My neice has a pretty strong case of asthma and visits all the time from Dallas. I do not recall any episodes for her while here. She's very active in sports and that's one reason she is here often.
If you get serious about it, The Texas State Health Department is here as well as several professional resources. You may want to look them up contact them and then share information with your kids doctor.
Of my friends and coworkers, it seems 80% have a reaction to something in the air at some point every year.

Havasu1986
11-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Bug's. Rains alot more than the southwest.... I here it can rain for 30 days straight. You will need a much bigger garage. No big mountians..... It takes three days to leave the state of texas if your driving.
Shark attacks in the gulf happen alot more often.
Only one airport.
Its 833 miles from El Paso to Beamont or 12 hours driving straight. You need to get on it a little faster. :D And I don't think there is any sharks in Lake Travis. :rolleyes:

R.A.D.man
11-07-2007, 12:48 PM
The other house is in Cedar park..thanks for the info...if it was'nt for my back i would round up the family for a road trip just to check it out.my son just asked me what about ":jawdrop: TORNADOS"
We have those too. I've never seen one nor have I been threatened by one. Central Texas has very strong thunderstorms, so they come with the territory. Just don't buy a mobil home, those are tornado targets.
One more area really getting nice quick is Southwest Austin off HWY 71 West to HWY 620. Beautiful area, new everything, it's just west of the Oak Hill community. I'm on the western edge of Oakhill so I'm happy to see all the new development. General area is south western Westlake and Bee Caves and south end of Lakeway.

mouzer
11-07-2007, 01:20 PM
WOW..Texas property taxs are twice what we have and twice what castle rock colorado is.i was just informed by the mrs...(she has her book out):rolleyes: thanks for all the info guys as soon as my back is better were gonna take the road trip for week.

mouzer
11-07-2007, 01:22 PM
I will have Oldbuck pipe in when I talk to him.Still have the Hydro?
21 ft shovel i sold it cheap...no time for anything cuz of my back..cant work on anything.

R.A.D.man
11-07-2007, 01:33 PM
WOW..Texas property taxs are twice what we have and twice what castle rock colorado is.i was just informed by the mrs...(she has her book out):rolleyes: thanks for all the info guys as soon as my back is better were gonna take the road trip for week.
No income tax in Texas if that helps. I know there is in Colorado.
Mine is roughly 2.5% of the house value, that's in Austin, TX.
I think Lakeway, Cedar Park and Leander are a little more topping out with Westlake maybe being the highest.

DelawareDave
11-07-2007, 01:50 PM
My ex lives in Austin, and my daughter lives in San Marcos. Wife and I were just there in July. Austin seems to me just like any other big freakin city!

R.A.D.man
11-07-2007, 02:20 PM
My ex lives in Austin, and my daughter lives in San Marcos. Wife and I were just there in July. Austin seems to me just like any other big freakin city!
Of course you are not going to like the place where your ex lives.

IMPATIENT 1
11-07-2007, 02:24 PM
mouzer, most of the ***boat guys in that area are on the thb site:
http://www.texas***boats.com/forums/index.php
we're all getting together in late spring, meet up with eddie hill at his place for a show and shine, go to the lake with eddie hill later on that day. if your here by then, try and make that 1!

OKIE-JET
11-07-2007, 02:27 PM
Mouzer, if ya move to Texas, you'll never want to go back to the rat race of California. The people are night and day, compared overall, as well as the atmosphere you want to raise your family in. JMO.;)

MACHINEHEAD
11-07-2007, 05:32 PM
Im really begining to like it. Been here one year now. I miss cali from time to time where I lived for 33 years (Rancho Cucamonga and Hermosa Beach before that). But this place just suits me a little better. The people are way cooler. I find myself just talking to the lady at the gas station, because she asked how I was doing this afternoon. That kind of stuff. Much slower (calm), little less money except near the lakes (crazy money), shitty traffic, lots of stuff to do If you are athletic, lots of local bands and booze if your not. Lots of out doorsy stuff always hapnin', many of my local breakfast and lunch hang outs have sweet patios, even down town. Making some friend same for wifey, business is good and get to go to the lake ( Travis or Lake Austin ) anytime I want ( wet in 17 min at Austin 45 at Travis ) So if your into some of that stuff come and visit. Toddnjuz from these boards just left a week ago! I think they had a REALY good time!