PDA

View Full Version : Changing Impeller

rollin24/7
11-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Question for all you motor guys: I have a 2005 25ft Shockwave with 51 hours(496HO). I've done a search on here regarding whent to change out my impeller. I've heard anywhere from every year, to changing it once you hit 100 hours? The last boat I had 4 years with 85 hours and never had ANY issues. The other question is, if I run the boat out of the water with the ears attached, will I be able to tell if my impeller is bad?.....will it make any wierd noises, eleveated temp? Any help would be great.

Havasu Hangin'
11-08-2007, 02:51 PM
Impellers almost never give warning before they fail. Since they sit for awhile on the cam in the pump, I replace mine every year- cheap insurance.

DeltaSigBoater
11-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Question for all you motor guys: I have a 2005 25ft Shockwave with 51 hours(496HO). I've done a search on here regarding whent to change out my impeller. I've heard anywhere from every year, to changing it once you hit 100 hours? The last boat I had 4 years with 85 hours and never had ANY issues. The other question is, if I run the boat out of the water with the ears attached, will I be able to tell if my impeller is bad?.....will it make any wierd noises, eleveated temp? Any help would be great.
You'll know very quickly if your impeller is bad. A few degrees above normal isnt going to hurt any thing, but when you gauge starts reaching the red you have a problem!

Racey
11-08-2007, 03:04 PM
If you use the boat alot every summer, change it once a year at the beginning of each season. cheap insurance, especially when it fails on that holiday weekend and no shops are open so you end up changing it yourself in the parking lot of the hotel or launch ramp.

McIntyrelocal
11-08-2007, 03:08 PM
i would change it every season because if it did go south the rubber from the impellar will klog the oil cooler and goes through the whole motor and you have to flush it out it is a tough project even in a shop with the right tools.The headache is not worth the cost.

Dribble
11-08-2007, 03:10 PM
Did mine at three years and about 100 hours. Was still pliable and showed almost no wear.

Trailer Park Casanova
11-08-2007, 03:13 PM
Impellers almost never give warning before they fail. Since they sit for awhile on the cam in the pump, I replace mine every year- cheap insurance.
Ditto here too.
Cheap.

Outnumbered
11-08-2007, 03:20 PM
I asked this question to Aaron at Absolute and Paul/Jim at Outdrive Exchange and they echo what is said above--there is no real-world set hour interval and better safe than sorry. However, 100 hours would be really pushing your luck.
If you are not going to change it now I would advise at the very least carry a set of tools and an impeller kit in your boat. I have changed them on the water in a friend's boat and it sucks but better than a tow.
If you run your boat in sandy/silty areas like the sand bar etc than you are on borrowed time. Just change it every 25-50 hours if you want to be safe.
I changed one at 25 hours that was already cracked...must have been old-stock or a Chinese aftermarket impeller.

Sotally Tober
11-08-2007, 03:26 PM
I guess Ive been lucky I have 230 hrs on my original 05' HO. My dealer said they wouldn't change it yet. We have very clean H2O though in the NW. Probably should do it this winter. What does one run for a 496?

Jyruiz
11-08-2007, 03:29 PM
I get mine changed every year just to be safe.

mark49
11-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Impeller like the ones on the old jet boats?? I'm confused

IMPATIENT 1
11-08-2007, 08:55 PM
Impeller like the ones on the old jet boats?? I'm confused
they're talking about outboard water pump impellors, not jet pump impellors;)

phebus
11-08-2007, 09:30 PM
Learn to do it yourself. A impeller kit costs approx $38.- for a 496HO. Cheap insurance not to lose a day on the water. On my 496HO, I replaced it twice a season.

DMOORE
11-08-2007, 10:59 PM
+1. (IN MY BEST TONTO VOICE... impeller cheap...engine expensive)
Darrell.

partytime
11-09-2007, 05:25 AM
I wish mine would last a year. I went through two this season. That low water pickup is like a vacuum for sand and debris. As far as damage, both times I could not run my motor over 2000 rpms because my alarm would go off, a very goood indicator something was wrong. I doubt any damage was caused. I'm thinking of adding a sea strainer this winter to help cut down on the failures. In your Tremor they are difficult to change without taking the back seatback and side panel in the engine compartment out.

BadKachina
11-09-2007, 05:30 AM
I do mine at the start of the season every year. I have less than 300 hours on a 7 year old boat so that's one every 40 or 50 hours. I've never lost one on the lake.;) I also service it at the beginning of the season and close to the end of the season.

LUVNLIFE
11-09-2007, 05:34 AM
Well it's been said but here's my .02. Impellers are cheap and easy todo yourself. Change it at the beggining of every season and you should not have any issues.;)