PDA

View Full Version : Computer question...

Water Romper
11-08-2007, 05:02 PM
I received about 15 used Dell laptops from my employer (they are around 2 years old and still work great) I need to reformat the hard drives. I can F disk the drives however someone told me that if I re install XP it will whipe out all the old data on the drive...I have not heard of this, any of you HB guru's hear of this?
Also, is there software out there that would whipe the disk clean and allow XP to be reinstalled?
I want to donate the laptops to some kids and I told my employer that I would only do so AFTER I cleaned the drives.
Thanks.

Havasu_Dreamin
11-08-2007, 05:04 PM
Should be some type of software that can be downloaded from the net.....

Water Romper
11-08-2007, 05:06 PM
I used to use one called "TD CLEAR" but I figured something new and improved would be for sale...I am sure one of the peeps on the board will have a suggestion.

Havasu_Dreamin
11-08-2007, 05:11 PM
Google disc wipe

Panic Button
11-08-2007, 05:48 PM
No matter what software that is out there, the HD can be restored. The only way to prevent this is to degauss it. We recover files all the time for investigations from HD's, except the ones that were degaussed... It all depends on what was on the drives that you would not want released.
They are Dell's use the reinstall disk. It reinstalls all the original programs including XP.

scarabrick2
11-08-2007, 06:32 PM
let me know if your going to sell them. I will need 2 please

It's all Good
11-08-2007, 07:15 PM
Dell's typically have a utility partition that is an image of how it was shipped form the factory. Dell PC Restore is accessed by <F11> after POST.
Dell PC Restore (http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&docid=DC47E7957E35BBC0E030A68F27280D16&l=en&s=gen)

RaceFace
11-08-2007, 09:00 PM
If you are doing a full install of XP, you can delete the partition in the pre-install stages (which wipes the drive) and then re-create the partition and format it NTFS. Be sure to track down all the drivers for those laptops first....you can get in deep if you dont....you will end up with crappy video resolution and no NIC card driver, which means you cant get it on the internet. Good luck with the project.

bigq
11-08-2007, 10:57 PM
RF has the way to go. Like he said go to Dell and get the drivers first. The buy Ghist and burn a DVD to blowout the rest.:D
I have not heard of a drive working to good after exposure the a em field, but i could be wrong.:confused:

Water Romper
11-09-2007, 08:11 AM
Great advise...I am attempting the "PC scrub" this weekend. Thanks to all...:D

It's all Good
11-09-2007, 09:20 AM
Do the Dell PC Restore if you can. You won't need to download any drivers. They are all on the partition.

Panic Button
11-09-2007, 02:42 PM
It will run a quick wipe all the way up to DOD standards.
DOD(which is actually DISA & NSA) is to Deguass. Trust me, I work for a division of the Gov that handles Cyper crime among other thing...

Cheap Thrills
11-09-2007, 02:50 PM
God I am biting my tongue right now........
T.

Cheap Thrills
11-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Formatting a HD is that frustrating for you? :confused:;)
Not Hardly...
T.Edit: still biting tongue ;)

Baja Big Dog
11-09-2007, 10:28 PM
Not Hardly...
T.Edit: still biting tongue ;)
Let it go Todd...yo know you want to.
This guy is the computer God and he has all the answers, and his is kind to us "keyboard challenged" tards around here!!

Cheap Thrills
11-10-2007, 07:05 AM
Let it go Todd...yo know you want to.
This guy is the computer God and he has all the answers, and his is kind to us "keyboard challenged" tards around here!!
Nope , I'm working on my self control issues :D
Chris, I appreciate the complement and I thank you. But there are several people on the board that are much better on these things than I am.
The last time I did an 8 paragraph write up on a computer issue it was a thankless effort. Brown made a 5 word post and got a lap dance with pictures. :idea:
The thing I hate most is taking the time to explain something so that most people could understand just to have it go ignored. I'm tired of wasting time on thankless bastards. Not that the originator of this thread is a thankless bastard. But recent observations from past experiences indicate the chances are...... :D well ,,, so much for working on the self control issues.... maybe I'll start next week.
CIAO
T's Out

bigq
11-10-2007, 08:38 AM
Chris, I appreciate the complement and I thank you. But there are several people on the board that are much better on these things than I am.
The last time I did an 8 paragraph write up on a computer issue it was a thankless effort. Brown made a 5 word post and got a lap dance with pictures. :idea:
The thing I hate most is taking the time to explain something so that most people could understand just to have it go ignored. I'm tired of wasting time on thankless bastards. Not that the originator of this thread is a thankless bastard. But recent observations from past experiences indicate the chances are...... :D well ,,, so much for working on the self control issues.... maybe I'll start next week.
CIAO
T's Out
Need a reboot?:D ;)
I work with the networks more then the computers nowadays, but you sound like one of the best like dogman said, I always appreciate what you put down, good stuff.

RaceFace
11-10-2007, 09:52 AM
CIAO
T's Out
I agree exactly. Thats why I just threw out a basic solution with no detail. If more info was wanted, they can PM me. I didnt want to start a pissing contest with anyone or get flamed for my IT techniques. ;)

maxwedge
11-10-2007, 10:08 AM
DOD(which is actually DISA & NSA) is to Deguass. Trust me, I work for a division of the Gov that handles Cyper crime among other thing...
Oh shit! Please disregard everything I have ever said on hot boat. I'm gonna go deguass my hard drive right now, just as soon as I figure out what the hell degaussing is.:D

Cheap Thrills
11-10-2007, 10:23 AM
Need a reboot?:D ;)
I work with the networks more then the computers nowadays, but you sound like one of the best like dogman said, I always appreciate what you put down, good stuff.
Thanks, I'm always glad to help those that are glad to be helped.
Though I may not always have the answer, I only know enough about some things to get myself into trouble, so be careful what you ask :p
I agree exactly. Thats why I just threw out a basic solution with no detail. If more info was wanted, they can PM me. I didnt want to start a pissing contest with anyone or get flamed for my IT techniques. ;)
I didn't want to start a pissing contest either hence the biting tongue.
I would never flame someone for their technique as long as it works.
Like the old saying goes.
"There's more than one way to skin a cat, none of which the cat's gonna be happy with " :D
Oh shit! Please disregard everything I have ever said on hot boat. I'm gonna go deguass my hard drive right now, just as soon as I figure out what the hell degaussing is.:D
Electro Magnetic Field.
I was using degaussing magnets before the invent of hard drives back in the 60s early 70s. Mainly to correct color problems with old TV sets.
They can also be used to slow down the power meter on your house... :D or so I've heard....
T.