PDA

View Full Version : Keep The Olds??

GM KILLER 5.0
11-09-2007, 08:03 AM
Hello,
I have a Tahiti Torino (I think that's what it is) with a 455 BB Olds in it. Says rated to 365HP. I am pulling it out, because I don't know how long it's been since it's been gone through, and it started smoking last time out. I know nobody likes the BBO, but why is it? Oil problems is what I've heard?
If I make the switch right now to BBC power, what do I need besides the motor and exhaust manifolds?? Dimensionally front to rear is a 455 and 454/427 close?
Let me know your opinions.
Thanks,
Ron

maxwedge
11-09-2007, 08:26 AM
Search "olds 455" on here or try realoldspower.com, theres tons of info. My opinion: before you spend a ton of time and money swapping in something else, try to find out why its's smoking. Might be something simple like an intake gasket, in which case, fix it and/or leave it in there until it comes apart or it starts smoking so bad you can't stand it. If you want ultimate performace this is not your motor, however mine is still running fine and it's been in the boat for 31 years, supposedly only rebuilt once. I've been waiting for it to come apart based on everything I've read, but it never has yet. I've run it near WFO down the IL river from Peoria to near Starved rock and back which is probably 50 or more miles each way, no problems except it burned through a huge amount of gas$$.:eek:
Oh yeah to switch to BBC you will also need motor mounts, a starter and possibly a PTO or driveshaft coupling depending on how yours is set up.

ck7684
11-09-2007, 08:27 AM
From what I understand, it's mainly the oiling problem, and perhaps a lack of aftermarket parts available. The oiling issues would mainly be a problem at extended running at higher RPMs...
I dont have any personal experience with the Olds though, so...

Devilman
11-09-2007, 08:34 AM
From what I've read here & the couple guys I know that have an Olds, is that they can "run out" of oil being run wide open too long. The oil doesn't drain back to the oil pan from top of the engine or something to that effect. There are a few mods that can be done to help this, I just don't know exactly what they are. Taylorman, here on the boards, has a very strong running Oldsmobile in his Taylor. He pretty much ran the crap out of it last time I saw him & he hasn't had any problems that I know of..... Another friend of mine has a 455 in an Avenger just like mine, same thing, he doesn't cut it any slack & its still all in one piece..... :D

n8dawg
11-09-2007, 08:44 AM
I have a 455 in my boat. I say if you have the money to build a Chevy...GO FOR IT!!! You can usally pick up all the mounts and hardware you need from these forums or on ebay. Simply because its less a headache to deal with the Chevy. Yes an Olds will last forever but you have to baby it if its not set up right.

455Rocket
11-09-2007, 09:01 AM
From what I've read here & the couple guys I know that have an Olds, is that they can "run out" of oil
It doesn't run out... it just pours out every orifice on the top end :D
My advice is if you keep it, don't try to make some high performance monster out of it... just keep it stock. There are practically no HP parts for these things, and what's out there is expensive.
But im still in "recovery" from spending too much on mine

Longstr
11-09-2007, 09:17 AM
Rob who runs the Taylor site has a hell of a 500 olds in his 76 Taylor, his runs 70 + MPH it can be done but very expensive to do.

pw_Tony
11-09-2007, 09:21 AM
But I thought you were a "GM Killer"? :D
So in other words.... you'll blow up and Kill the Olds and the Chevy! :D

n8dawg
11-09-2007, 09:42 AM
It doesn't run out... it just pours out every orifice on the top end :D
My advice is if you keep it, don't try to make some high performance monster out of it... just keep it stock. There are practically no HP parts for these things, and what's out there is expensive.
But im still in "recovery" from spending too much on mine
You Hater!!!:D

GM KILLER 5.0
11-09-2007, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the responses, keep them coming!!!!
My screen name "GM KILLER 5.0" is reference to my Mustang. I have a 92 GT, that I have had a long time lic plate "GM KLR 50" (when it was a street car) It's a 10" tire car with a BBC and a liberty 5 speed, has run a best of 7.83@180mph!! Kind of funny my nickname for the last 10 years, and I run a BBC in my car!!! :jawdrop:
Ron

El Prosecutor
11-09-2007, 12:28 PM
Other than the oiling issue there is the "marine" parts issue if you are running an enclosed engine compartment. Marine carb is available from Edelbrock, no problem. Marine mechanical fuel pump - not available. Marine starter - custom build or about $300 if you can get one in stock. Marine distributor and alternator - not sure on availability but assume the worst.

Boostedballs
11-09-2007, 05:31 PM
I am in the middle of the Olds to BBC conversion right now.
My Olds was toast and I didn't want to build another. In your case, you still have power. Like mentioned earlier, I would find out why it's smoking and run it until it lets go. Maybe your valve covers are full of oil and it is getting sucked into the intake through the PCV or the intake valve guides. If you keep running it, look into getting some restricted push rods to limit the flow to the heads.
The Olds likes to pump everything to the top end and suck the pan dry. Also, the gap between the rods tends to close up when it gets hot for some reason and that restricts the oil flowing under the rod bearings. This means that the oil under the rod bearings get really hot until it grabs the bearing and spins it. This happened on two of my rods just a few minutes apart. Crank was trash. I had great oil pressure the whole time because the rods weren't allowing the oil to escape!
If you do take the engine out- Check your rod to rod clearances and maybe even grind a shallow passage on one of the rod pairs between the rods to let the oil leave the area so freash, cool oil can flow. google "mondello olds to go" for more info on that.
In the mean time, maybe start piecing the BBC stuff together.

IMPATIENT 1
11-09-2007, 06:36 PM
yank the olds, sell everything you can on ebay, by a bbc or bbf set-up. you'll spend a ton of $$$ trying to make a olds stay next too bbc's and bbf's, and even if you've got twice the money in your olds than they have in their bbc or bbf, they'll still pass ya;) you can offset the cost of set-up hardware if you sell all your bbo stuff.

Moneypitt
11-09-2007, 07:01 PM
yank the olds, sell everything you can on ebay, by a bbc or bbf set-up. you'll spend a ton of $$$ trying to make a olds stay next too bbc's and bbf's, and even if you've got twice the money in your olds than they have in their bbc or bbf, they'll still pass ya;) you can offset the cost of set-up hardware if you sell all your bbo stuff.
You are right. Anyone can build a BBC/BBF......It takes someone with advanced skills to build a successful Olds. I guess that is why BBCs/BBFs are so popular......Olds 455s actually have alot going for them when the build suits the application.......Maybe around Hugo the others outrun the Olds power, but it aint like that everywhere..........MP
BTW I have a BBC, BB Mopar, BBO, and BBF, so I aint a hater. Also have a jet, a v drive, an in-out, and a whacker.....No hater here........

Jungle Boy
11-09-2007, 07:10 PM
Yes keep it. They are a great jet boat engine.

maxwedge
11-09-2007, 07:11 PM
...BTW I have a BBC, BB Mopar, BBO, and BBF, so I aint a hater. Also have a jet, a v drive, an in-out, and a whacker.....No hater here........
and I thought I had too many toys.:D

IMPATIENT 1
11-09-2007, 07:17 PM
You are right. Anyone can build a BBC/BBF......It takes someone with advanced skills to build a successful Olds. I guess that is why BBCs/BBFs are so popular......Olds 455s actually have alot going for them when the build suits the application.......Maybe around Hugo the others outrun the Olds power, but it aint like that everywhere..........MP
BTW I have a BBC, BB Mopar, BBO, and BBF, so I aint a hater. Also have a jet, a v drive, an in-out, and a whacker.....No hater here........
around hugo we don't waste our money just to be different ;) :D

Jungle Boy
11-09-2007, 07:19 PM
Yes keep it. They are a great jet boat engine.
errrr, I mean sink it and build a BBC.

Moneypitt
11-09-2007, 07:56 PM
around hugo we don't waste our money just to be different ;) :D
Trust me, you are different..........I can build an Olds as cheap as you can build a Chevy, maybe cheaper.......Since alot of the stock Olds stuff is as good as the aftermarket Chevy stuff.......Ever see a Hardin Marine BBC? Those old school 455s ran forever, usually until some fancy Chevy guy tried to make it something it wasn't, and lacked the skills to do so..........MP

IMPATIENT 1
11-09-2007, 08:29 PM
Trust me, you are different..........I can build an Olds as cheap as you can build a Chevy, maybe cheaper.......Since alot of the stock Olds stuff is as good as the aftermarket Chevy stuff.......Ever see a Hardin Marine BBC? Those old school 455s ran forever, usually until some fancy Chevy guy tried to make it something it wasn't, and lacked the skills to do so..........MP
i agree. a oe bbc, bbo, or bbf will last if taken care of, my sj's bbf was 28yrs old and never opened up until i got it, looked good inside, crank looked awesome, bearings damn near perfect, cylinders perfect. don't think i could build a bbo with the proper mods anywhere near the price i could a bbc or bbf with equal output though.

malcolm
11-09-2007, 08:48 PM
Just depends on how much power you want. If you want 500+ I'd go for the Chevy or Ford, but if you want around 425 the Olds will last a long time. ;)

Moneypitt
11-09-2007, 08:48 PM
i agree. a oe bbc, bbo, or bbf will last if taken care of, my sj's bbf was 28yrs old and never opened up until i got it, looked good inside, crank looked awesome, bearings damn near perfect, cylinders perfect. don't think i could build a bbo with the proper mods anywhere near the price i could a bbc or bbf with equal output though.
Key words......Olds 455s actually have alot going for them when the build suits the application......That application being fun, dependable boating. Perfect for a family jetboat that might see 3500-4900.....Great for pulling the kids.....MP
PS: My Olds is in a v drive hydro and works very well........

speedymopars
11-10-2007, 02:24 PM
I think in anything that needs low end / mid range power - A heavy car/truck, boat with a big prop, the Olds 455 could make a great engine due to the massive stroke.
Unfortunately, that is the application for which it was designed, and issues mentioned above can be a serious issue in a jet where HP is the only limit to RPM - esp off the line.
If you keep the olds, just know that one day it will probably fry if you rev it too long without the proper mods. The chevy's have a better return system for the oil, but I would give an edge for the fords in a jet due to the bgger bore and shorter stroke. The Chevys / olds would work better in a prop.
But, I think if you want to convert to the Chevy, it will be cheaper in the long run - Most olds engines I know of have been rebuilt many times over...
(and of course the Mopar's with an even bigger bore and shorter stroke are even better at that for a jet, but I won't tell anyone to do what I'm doing - I'm weird and just like to be different. :-)
Just mho...

75 spectra V-drive
11-10-2007, 06:15 PM
My experiance has been it is a torque monster if built properly,but can not be built to run reliable over 5000 rpm for any extended period of time.I followed all of Mondellos, and the articals in hot boat last year during my build. I still see the oil presure start dropping after about 20 seconds of 5200 rpm operation. If you have a jet that wont exceed 4800 rpms I have a smokin deal on the olds you need. I am switching to a blown BBC and it is gettin expensive real fast. Greg

GM KILLER 5.0
11-12-2007, 09:44 AM
Thanks for everyone's input. I guess everything is going to depend on what my current 455 needs, and whether or not it's salvagable for a reasonable amount of money. I also have a line on a complete marine 427, that I can get on the cheap, and I know I need to go through that too, but we have a lot of BBC parts that wouldn't be too hard to rebuild that motor. Then all I need is mounts, etc.
So back to the swap. I need front and rear mounts, and flywheel and some sort of adapter to the shaft??
Thanks Much,
Ron

DelawareDave
11-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Unless you have a older Rockwell (or similar) driveline, just get a PTO for whatever motor you use.

speedymopars
11-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Thanks for everyone's input. I guess everything is going to depend on what my current 455 needs, and whether or not it's salvagable for a reasonable amount of money. I also have a line on a complete marine 427, that I can get on the cheap, and I know I need to go through that too, but we have a lot of BBC parts that wouldn't be too hard to rebuild that motor. Then all I need is mounts, etc.
So back to the swap. I need front and rear mounts, and flywheel and some sort of adapter to the shaft??
Thanks Much,
Ron
My mopar used the same driveshaft as my olds, so maybe the Chevys (more likely) use the same ones still. You need a starter, logs/ headers, front and rear mounts, and optionally something to cover the driveline. Other than that, if the engine is complete and a runner, I can't think of anything else you need.

GM KILLER 5.0
11-12-2007, 01:43 PM
Thanks, I kind of figured that's all I would need.
Here's a good question for someone familiar with the swap. What is the difference, BBO to BBC timing cover to flywheel lenght, exh. manifold to exh. manifold, and pan to carb???? Dimensional differences??
Thanks
Ron