PDA

View Full Version : Ubfj

Warp Speed
11-09-2007, 08:42 AM
Hey guy's,
Looking for some detailed info on engine rules for UBFJ.
As far as I understand it, 516ci and under can run any fuel and nitrous. 517ci-670ci gasoline, but is nitrous allowed also?
What is the hot combo, and what type of hp numbers are required to run decent??
They seem to be a little vague in the rule book I found on line.
Thanks!
Warp Speed ;)

cyclone
11-09-2007, 09:07 AM
http://njbaracing.net/forms/2007_njba_rulebook.swf
If under 516 cid you can run any type of fuel.
max displacement is 670 cid
nitrous oxide is allowed.

FuelInMyVeins82
11-09-2007, 09:56 AM
Jerry hicks in the Hot Tub can run in the mid 7's prety consitatnly and has the field covered by a few tenths (at least for the moment) There are few boats clicking off 7.70s and 7.80s and a few more running consistant 8.0s. In my opinion in order to be competive in UBFJ you should be able to run in the low 8's. How ever there have been a few 8.50 boats that have made it to the finals this year. Just depends on the ladder and weather not you can cut a light.
This is quite a change from even two years ago where you could altealst go a few rounds in UBFJ running in the low nines. Cant wait to see what happens next year.

Cs19
11-09-2007, 09:59 AM
517ci-670ci gasoline, but is nitrous allowed also?
Warp Speed ;)
Yes nitrous is allowed with any cubic inch engine. A 900 Hp engine with a small shot of nitrous in a decent boat could be competitive with a good driver. I run 1250 Hp and cant get out of first round.:)

FuelInMyVeins82
11-09-2007, 10:01 AM
Yes nitrous is allowed with any cubic inch engine. A 900 Hp engine with a small shot of nitrous in a decent boat could be competitive with a good driver.
:idea:

Cs19
11-09-2007, 10:03 AM
Im not sure I agree with the cubic inch limit or nitro limitations but I dont make the rules, sure would be cool to see a nitro burner out there or a multi stage nitrous engine.
Next season the class will be tough, 7.70s or your done by 2nd round.

Cs19
11-09-2007, 10:04 AM
:idea:
did you see the part where i said good driver?
:)

FuelInMyVeins82
11-09-2007, 10:07 AM
LMAO I knew you were going to say that. Well see next seaon. Ill be chopping down trees like its my last name! Oh wait....

pce680
11-09-2007, 10:14 AM
If your motor is under 516 CI,you have to run any type of fuel other than gasoline. Nitro,alky ,NOS or some other rocket fuel.No racing gasoline.
The rule is there to keep Pro Gas Jets,Comp Jets and Mod Jets out of the class.You have to have 516 to 670 CI to run gasoline only.

bp
11-09-2007, 11:13 AM
Hey guy's,
Looking for some detailed info on engine rules for UBFJ.
As far as I understand it, 516ci and under can run any fuel and nitrous. 517ci-670ci gasoline, but is nitrous allowed also?
They seem to be a little vague in the rule book I found on line.
Thanks!
Warp Speed ;)
sorry if it seems vague. the engine cutoff is designed to separate pro gas jet from ubfj. in other words, if it's 515 or below, and running gas only, the boat can be entered into progas. if it's 515 or below, running anything BUT gas (nitrous, alky, fuel), it must be entered into ubfj. if it's above 515 (i.e., 516 or larger), it's supposed to be running gas (no alky or fuel), but may also run nitrous. some have run alky or fuel in the class, but it's only been a few over the years. the most successful have been gas/nitrous, which was what the class was intended for.
the ci limit used to be 565, but was changed via vote back in '01 following the proposal by a club member. since no other club/org in the country runs this class, it doesn't really matter. however, there are other orgs that do run an n/a gas only 565 class, so if an owner wanted to have the option of running multiple org classes (not the eliminator classes, but a head up class), you'd want to consider that for the build.
this is also a factor with progas. the rule change was voted by the membership raising the limit to 515, but everyone else has a 500 limit. same for bgj, with the 572 limit, which is 565 everywhere else. same thing for blown fuel - our rules don't limit the type of supercharger, but other org's class requirements prohibit screw type. just something a builder should consider before building something. i just mention this because some years ago, a guy built a taf using a screw blower. after the whole thing was done, he brought it out, then tried to get the rule changed. other taf guys strenuously objected because of the rules in different orgs accross the country (plus the fact that the screw would be an advantage over roots), so the roots rule was maintained.
end of the day, a 565 with a big shot will provide all the power you'd need to be competitive, it's just a matter of getting the rest of the boat to work. keep in mind there is a 145mph capsule limit.
cs, there was a multistage daytona at red bluff this year. i saw the boat in the staging lanes, but didn't see it run. it had some humongous bottles in it, and a plethora of solonoids all over the thing. i haven't seen the thing since then.

Cs19
11-09-2007, 12:25 PM
cs, there was a multistage daytona at red bluff this year. i saw the boat in the staging lanes, but didn't see it run. it had some humongous bottles in it, and a plethora of solonoids all over the thing. i haven't seen the thing since then.
Yes Ive spoke to him on the nitrous message boards, he runs it on alky, last i talked to him he was only using the single stage so far to get the boat working correctly but has intentions of using both, he is runing PE.

pce680
11-09-2007, 01:54 PM
NJBA Pro Gas has always been 515 CI ,not 500 CI. I tried it get it changed to match other Associations but got rejected several times .
Reason: You could buy a old Pro Stock motor and put a clean-up bore on it and go racing.
P&G meter doesn't know the difference,and nobody has the correct tools to measure bore and stroke. ! :D

blue wonder
11-09-2007, 01:56 PM
or a multi stage nitrous engine.
:devil: :devil: :devil:

Warp Speed
11-09-2007, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the info guy's!
Not something I'm jumping into tomorrow, but may be in the initial planning stages anyway. :idea:
Next question, and this should cause quite a difference in opinion (maybe not) what is the best hull to start out with?
Daytona, Cheyenne, Stealth, or.......?
I know allot depends on the set-up, but most of you have been there and done that, what do you recomend and what are the differences?
Thanks again!
Warp Speed ;)

blue wonder
11-09-2007, 04:53 PM
all three are good boats...could accomplish good numbers with any of them...i run a stealth and have ran a best of 7.77, john d runs a cheyenne, he has run 7.76, cs-19 runs a daytona very hard as well right off the trailer i think it went 8.01...and theres alot more left...any of them would be great...hope to see ya out there next year...it will definetly be the class to be in!!!!

bruleracer
11-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Hey Tony,
Great job last weekend! Good job doein the work, sat night. Check check
and recheck and you found it! I guess you will be the one makin the rules at the table at the Finish Line Cup table first race next year. Again, Congrats,
Knowing how to Win , now you got IT..
Brule'

blue wonder
11-10-2007, 09:32 PM
Hey Tony,
Great job last weekend! Good job doein the work, sat night. Check check
and recheck and you found it! I guess you will be the one makin the rules at the table at the Finish Line Cup table first race next year. Again, Congrats,
Knowing how to Win , now you got IT..
Brule'
thanks steve...im pretty stoked...that was my 3rd and 4th win this year...i hope next year i can do as good as i did this year...it was cool seeing you race yoru boat again...hope you bring it out again next year!!!