PDA

View Full Version : Converting to cav plate water pickups

bocco
11-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Eliminator 20.5 V-drive. Thinking of moving the water pickups from those big brass things on the bottom of the boat to the cavitaion plates and plugging the holes on the bottom of the boat.
Any opinions on weather this worth while and what parts to use? I see lots of different stuff at Rex and CP.
Thanks
Gary

Moneypitt
11-09-2007, 10:59 AM
I have discussed that same deal with Gordy. He highly reccomends it. As he put it, the plates are always in the water stream. Looking at all the Rankin/Jennings boats, that is the way they do it......You are talking about Ram tubes, not pump pick ups, right?.............MP

bocco
11-09-2007, 11:04 AM
I have discussed that same deal with Gordy. He highly reccomends it. As he put it, the plates are always in the water stream. Looking at all the Rankin/Jennings boats, that is the way they do it......You are talking about Ram tubes, not pump pick ups, right?.............MP
Actually one would just be a water pickup for the cam driven pump. The other would be for cooling the trans and V-drive and would just depend on water pressure.
Also FYI this is for a lake cruiser not a race deal.

MKEELINE
11-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Leave the pick ups where they are and stick a blower on it. Or better yet, some turbos:D .

bocco
11-09-2007, 11:36 AM
Leave the pick ups where they are and stick a blower on it. Or better yet, some turbos:D .
Gotta straighten out the basics first.

MKEELINE
11-09-2007, 11:44 AM
I'm running my pickups off the bottom of the boat. One each for the motor, intercooler and v drive/trans. I don't think that moving them to the plate would help anything on a cruiser. The only reason I could think of to move them would be if your not getting water to them.

Moneypitt
11-09-2007, 01:38 PM
Actually one would just be a water pickup for the cam driven pump. The other would be for cooling the trans and V-drive and would just depend on water pressure.
Also FYI this is for a lake cruiser not a race deal.
Leave them where they are........If it works DON'T FIX IT......MP

DeltaSigBoater
11-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Eliminator 20.5 V-drive. Thinking of moving the water pickups from those big brass things on the bottom of the boat to the cavitaion plates and plugging the holes on the bottom of the boat.
Any opinions on weather this worth while and what parts to use? I see lots of different stuff at Rex and CP.
Thanks
Gary
Your through hulls are more than likely bronze not brass.
Trying to plug up a through hull hole is a bitch!
If you do move your water intake lines, leave the through hulls, put .25 turn ball valves on them (if not already installed) leaving the handles on in the closed position. Then get bronze plugs or caps to go in/on the oppsite end of the ball valve.
just my $.02

rrrr
11-10-2007, 08:22 AM
Leave them where they are........If it works DON'T FIX IT......MP
I agree.....

Unchained
11-10-2007, 10:39 AM
I changed from the big brass pickups to a cav plate pickup.
To plug the holes I roughed them up with a die grinder and flared out the top and bottom of the hole, put a piece of wax paper on the bottom with an alum plate beneath it and put the floor jack under that.
I put a wad of Fiberglass cloth in the hole and poured resin in the hole until it was level with the top. I jammed it in with a stick until I was sure the cloth was saturated. I put another piece of wax paper on the top and laid another alum plate on it to make it flat. Worked well.
You can buy the cav plate pickups from Rex. The force feed pickup will want to catch weeds and plug the hole. The other style pickup will let them slide off more.

Unchained
11-10-2007, 10:40 AM
I changed from the big brass pickups to a cav plate pickup.
To plug the holes I roughed them up with a die grinder and flared out the top and bottom of the hole, put a piece of wax paper on the bottom with an alum plate beneath it and put the floor jack under that.
I put a wad of Fiberglass cloth in the hole and poured resin in the hole until it was level with the top. I jammed it in with a stick until I was sure the cloth was saturated. I put another piece of wax paper on the top and laid another alum plate on it to make it flat. Worked well.
You can buy the cav plate pickups from Rex. The force feed pickup will want to catch weeds and plug the hole. The other style pickup will let them slide off more.

bocco
11-12-2007, 09:35 AM
Thanks for input guys. Just kickin around ideas. Will probably put that low on my list of priorities and focus on projects with more bang for the buck.
Gary